The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why aren't dedicated servers removed yet?

Oshirigami
Oshirigami Member Posts: 33
edited October 2019 in General Discussions

They have 10 times more issues than p2p, and nearly all the p2p issues can be avoided by dodging bad ping killers.

Dedicated servers hide the bad ping killers so you can't avoid them ruining games.

The excuse is that there wasn't enough testing done on PTB. How has there not been enough testing done on Live after all these days? They're completely unplayable and ruin the game, what else needs to be known?

Comments

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535

I mean, I've had no issues with them. Are they still on?

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

I've had no issues with dedicated servers. As in, ZERO issues. I had more issues in P2P where I could get some really bad ping killers (or even lag switchers) who can really ruin the game.

• Mochan

I find that I generally have much smoother games now compared to before. It was clear I was getting some really bad killer internet in the past. Today every game is at least decent and looping is actually a lot easier.

In the past at least half of my games would be 100-200 ping and it could easily get worse. Looping was very difficult because the killer could just react so much faster, and then you get lag switchers who mysteriously have the game start lagging the moment a chase starts.

• Kralle
    Kralle Member Posts: 121

I dont have any issues with the dedicated servers either. Constantly getting a ping below 40. And that is pretty nice compared to the pings before where I got around 110 at normal.

• BongRips4Wraith
    BongRips4Wraith Member Posts: 87

Agreed. I used to just dodge 300-500 ping Asian/Russian/European killers. Now their ping is hidden and I get hit after I take 3-5 steps from a pallet/window vault. It doesnt matter if their connection to a North American server is bad, they still get lag compensated for all hits. It's really drained any urge to play survivor and I've just stuck with Killer in the meantime.

The only portion of the community that benefits from dedicated servers are the killers that don't play in NA and constantly got dodged because people don't want to play a match with a 300+ ping host.

• UlvenDagoth

Umm, I play Killer in NA... I haven't had a single issue.

• ThanksgivingTitty
    ThanksgivingTitty Member Posts: 26

Not to pile on, but I am from Michigan and am having 0 (ZERO) issues with them. I welcome them. I have had way way way less issues than playing a killer on Walmart Wifi!

• BongRips4Wraith
    BongRips4Wraith Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2019

You didn't even bother to read my post. The main issues I brought up are that killer's that had high ping to you before will still get awful hits on you that don't make sense because their ping to the NA server is terrible, and you have nothing to tell you that you're in a lobby with a laggy killer anymore.

• UlvenDagoth

Okay first of all. Calm...

Secondly, I did read it, but in fact will admit to having MISread it. So i will say sorry for that.

But, I honestly would need to see proof of what you are saying to see what you mean.

Also, It's being TESTED. There are issues ONLY HAVING THEM LIVE can test. Just be understanding and give them time to work on it.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

Personally, this second run is a lot better. There are still some weird hiccups, like being stuck in cloak when burned as Wraith, or hitting survivors when they have clearly ran away from a window/pallet, but overall it's pretty good.

As for why they aren't removed, it's because no one tests on the PTB because it's a hassle and a half just too add it and remove it. So the devs got tired of the middle man and forced the communities hand. If you don't like current servers, then you simply have too either wait for them too be fixed, or not play until they are fixed. No other option though mate.

• cetruzzo
    cetruzzo Member Posts: 323

Myers is afwul on dedicated servers, sometimes i get stuck on ew2 forever

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877

The dedicated servers are doing good and I've barely encountered a match where the ping was higher than 100 and the Killer was lagging the game into oblivion.

That said, I feel like something has changed with the pallets and vault points. Pallets seem to require a lot more time to register when interacting with them, and vault points feel buggy. I'm encountering moments where I've vaulted a window, am a good 1m away from the window and Killer, and the Killer hits me with a standard attack (whilst still behind the window).

I don't know if it's me or dedicated servers have different interaction to some things in-game that P2P didn't originally have.

• Oshirigami
    edited October 2019

I wish I could have no issues like some people say.

I had a billy teleport across the map on top of me. no terror radius warning, only suddenly appeared when he actually hit me.

Had a survivor crawling the opposite direction he was moving after being revived. A DUPLICATE of him crawling, making noise around the other body, etc.

Survivors pop out of being grabbed when they are vaulting or unhooking. Killer sees them grabbing them and in the hand, only for them to teleport out of it.

Mismatching projectiles and hitting people.

Getting hit through walls.

Getting hit through invuln frames of dead hard.

Getting grabbed from locker AFTER head-on-ing out through it and stunning the killer.

Getting hit by killer who is stunned by pallet.

They don't even have basic interpolation/lag-compensation. They should not be live for testing to begin with.

Peer2peer is bad, but at least you can compensate for the killer's lag in dropping pallets a little early in such rather than landing them perfectly and getting hit anyway because there is no way to compensate for how the dedicate servers (don't) work.

• Mochan

You know, I like Dedicated Servers in that they really are a great equalizer.

It's becoming clear that the main reason some killers and survivors are so good, is because they enjoy much better ping and less latency than others. After a thousand hours of playing this game I'm wondering why I'm still not as good as some people. With DS I'm starting to believe it's simply because my ping is just not as good as some others, and not necessarily because my skill level is bad.

When I see people complaining about problems I have had to live with most of my DBD life I realize my ping latency is not normal! And actually DS has alleviated a lot of it.

• Oshirigami
    edited October 2019

body blocking lags as well for survivors

Disconnecting issues are much worse as well.

People dying on hook for hitting struggle TOO fast, like the server seems to reject the fast actions, and because of lag.

There's 100+ issues. Too many to list. How are there not enough issues known to take them down and get them fixed instead of torturing us with them?

• BreadLord
    BreadLord Member Posts: 274

i have absolutely no issues

• altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141

I may stop playing the game for another 9 months. It's actually horrid. I didn't think window and pallet hits could feel worse, but I was wrong.

• Hey_Its_James
    Hey_Its_James Member Posts: 70

Played Plague a day ago and got God Pallet stunned just to teleport 15 meters infront of it while still managing to hit the survivor. Poor Dweet.

• Oshirigami

Do you think posting that changes that thousands of people ARE having severe issues?

https://www.twitch.tv/kittychipz/clip/UgliestTacitCrabsWutFace?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time This sort of crap happens on p2p, but at least you get warned of the killer having red ping. On dedicated servers it shows you p ing to the server as green, yet this happens anyway.

• UlvenDagoth
  • jordirex
    jordirex Member Posts: 204

I don't think they are that bad. They just need to fix the issues

• Mochan

Oh actually this is a good point.

I am not 100% but I think the rash of DC's I get -- where the killer is DC'ing not the survivors -- is a result of dedicated servers. But I am not 100% sure that it's DS to blame for it.

Other than that Dedicated Servers haven't had any bad effect on me.

• Sn0wJob
    Sn0wJob Member Posts: 247

Put simply

Dedicated servers seems to be going great for EU, but bad for NA.

Here is hoping you at least shut them off the halloween event.

• Oshirigami
    edited October 2019

They need to reenable p2p, and fix the issues before putting dedicated servers back on live.

Oh, another issue is that trapper winds up getting snared by his own traps immediately after placing them on dedicated servers.

and more on dead hard, you will GET EXHAUSTED so it clearly went off, yet you're immediately downed. If you're downed during dead hard for some stupid reason, you obviously shouldn't be exhausted as well. Really, you shouldn't be downed to begin with, but still that's just especially stupid.

there are SO MANY ISSUES I can't even recall them all.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

If only it were a regional thing, it might be easier to fix. Experiences seem to be mixed across all regions. NA does seem to be getting the highest proportion of people complaining, though.

• Mochan
    edited October 2019

I think people in North America tend to have really good internet, so P2P is better for them in most cases. In other regions internet infrastructure is not so good and can be country-to-country: so the connections in P2P tend to be worse. Like in Europe, one player might be in London another in Munich, I'd imagine the connectivity would be worse compared to one guy who was in New York and another in New Jersey. In Asia it's the same I usually play with people from Thailand, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia. The P2P is awful.

Whereas with Dedicated Servers we see a marked improvement over P2P.

• harry14141414
    harry14141414 Member Posts: 356

I've seen some BS hits through pallets gone more and more worst after dedicated servers.. Ive even hit surivors then they get up drop pallet then go down again LMAO

they really need to work on hit detection in this game

• yandere777
    yandere777 Member Posts: 728

Laughs in console

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Played Trapper yesterday.

Places a trap, immediately gets caught in said trap. Dedicated servers are fun.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

If they are live now then I have not seen any problems. The bs hits on me seem to be far less now that one side does not enjoy a no latency advantage, especially if they have bad internet.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442

Yes they are on and as survivors it feels better. But as killer is horrible.... it's almost imposible to grab someone from gens, you get the animation from grab cut much more often than before, it really sucks.

• Oshirigami
    edited October 2019

I wonder if people saying they aren't having problems are on console or something where it's still p2p.

The dedicated servers are certainly more survivor favored on average.

But it's a horrible experience all around. There's vastly more issues, even if they're often more killer favored as p2p already had tons of survivor issues without really having killer ones.

It's like, p2p had 15 issues for survivors, and none really for killer.

Dedicated has 50 issues for survivors and 100 issues for killer. So it's more survivor favored... but it's awful all around having 10x more issues in total and more for survivors as well.

• Oshirigami
    edited October 2019

LOL instead of removing them they made them even worse.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/230118965077082123/634910288918872096/Replay_2019.10.18-20.21_Trim.mp4

https://clips.twitch.tv/DeadQuaintCockroachFUNgineer

Killers just straight up teleporting to hit people, being invisible or stuck in animations, etc.

• UlvenDagoth

how about survivors being stuck in Sprint Burst the whole match?

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134

As a killer with really great internet, I haven't been able to get into a game since they were implemented. The closest I've gotten is a long loading screen and then kicked out.

I have been trying once a day. If I sit in the lobby for 5 mins or longer, I just quit and play something else.

Stinks because I used to be able to get right in.

Oh well, plenty of other games to play and spend money on right now.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

If bhvr is going to use their player base as test benches at least release some hotfixes to patch the issues we are seeing. I doubt all issues can be solved by tweaking backend code.