Spine Chill is the best survivor perk in the game

Zoso
Zoso Member Posts: 13

Just like the title says. Spine Chill is the best survivor perk in the game. I say this because of the multiple uses it has and the amount of time that it will be in use. DS and all other exhaust perks are are extremely beneficial don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that they aren't good, but compared with SC they are used under very specific situations.

SC doesn't only tell you when the killer is looking at you but it has so many other unnoticed or neglected benefits. Take Discordance for example. Discordance doesn't only tell you where 2 or more survivors are working on a gen. Once survivors know you have it they are more cautious about grouping on gens which makes them split up and slows gen progression and makes them easier to find because it is 4 people split on gens. These side effects of discordance make it more than just an information perk. The same applies to SC.

SC doesn't only show you when the killer is looking at you. It also gives you X sec to run when you know killer is coming (soft sprint burst). It tells you if a killer has Nurse's Calling, BBQ and almost all information perks. Not only that but it also completely counters most if not all stealth killers. Not only does it give you so much information but it is always active. You will use it 100% of the time in 100% of games.

Comments

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047
    edited October 2019

Both perks you praise are overrated.

Survivors splitting up is a very bad thing for the killer and no, it doesn't slow down the repair speed, it actually makes it more efficient, because 2 survivors working on 2 different gens is much more efficient than 2 survivors working on the same gen. So Discordance actually helps the survivors to work on gens more efficiently.

Figuring out that the killer has tracking perks or countering stealth killers can be done without Spine Chill. You only need awareness, that's all. People praise this perk so much, but I rarely see high rank survivors using it.

• n000b51
    n000b51 Member Posts: 653
    edited October 2019

@Zoso : "because 2 survivors working on 2 different gens is much more efficient than 2 survivors working on the same gen."

Not logical at all but so true in DbD !

The high rank survivors don't use 'Spine Chill' because it isn't a perk to stay healthy during the chases & 'Spine Chill' doesn't help survivors to make it against killers. And at high ranks, the length of the chases are fundamental: if you can't loop too well/long, your team can loose for that.

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

He is correct. Two or more survivors working on a gen receive a penalty to progression speed. Its actually faster for two survivors to work on gens separately than if they work together.

I dont think Spine Chill is used much because most killers have a terror radius that survivors can merely listen out for. And for the ones that dont they can just pan with their camera.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835

3 reasons to use Spine Chill:

1 - You have no map awareness

2 - Vault Build

3 - vs Prayer Beads Spirit, but everyone dc's against that anyways so no point on using 1 perk slot.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

It is nowhere as simple as you people are making it out to be.

It is faster for Survivors to work separate gens under specific circumstances.

Under other circumstances it is faster for multiple survivors to work on one generator.

For instance, if there is one Gen left, it is faster for Survivors to work on one generator than to work separately.

Likewise, if the killer has strong map pressure or is good at ending chases quickly it is better for Survivors to focus on one Gen to get actual work done.

Experience and game sense will tell you when it's better to work separatelt or together.

In general at the start of the match it's better to work separately. But that can change as the match progresses and depending on how the killer performs, it may be better to focus on one Gen.

As to the actual topic. Spine chill is a great perk.vut I don't know if it's the best perk. The fact is, spine chill is a stealth perk. And DbD is a game where stealth generally doesn't work too well.

Thus I am loathe to call Spine Chill the best perk because it is for a playstyle that is definitely inferior right now.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

I'm a chiller. That perk is in my base survivor perk kit for a reason.

• hiC
    hiC Member Posts: 217

I agree; Spine Chill is a mandatory perk for survivors right now. Ghost Face's ability solidified this as a meta perk for high rank solo players. Spot on point about it being useful 100% of the time in 100% of games.

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688

I started using Spine Chill when Ghost Face was released and I found out it is a good perk, especially against the stealth killers. The small bonus it has also helped me in a few instances too. On the other hand, I feel like I become less aware of my surroundings because I was relient on the perk to activate and tell me when the killer was close, so I only use it a few times now.

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

Lmao, no way, dead hard is just better, since works on multiple occasions. The killer approaching notification is really useful against Spirit, and it's much more efficient learning how to fast vault every window, rather than having a small speed bonus.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

I would rather be a team player and counter Sloppy Butcher with:

Bond, Botany Knowledge, Leader, and We are going to live forever.

Bloodpoints are my goal and being a hero pays well. Dying is fine as long as I get paid.

I know Plague semi counters this build but she is relatively rare.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

Iron Will is better imo.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

I see other survivors almost always using it at high ranks.

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310

DS still is.

• MissGamer456
    MissGamer456 Member Posts: 154

Spine Chill is for Immerse Survivors. That’s what I see it as. I’m not an immerse survivor. I actually take chases and hits rather than hide from the killer all game. I hate dislike this perk and it’s nowhere near the best. Even when I play killer if my survivors are immerse and I can’t find them I leave match within a certain amount of time and most of them (survivors) have spine chill sprint burst and urban.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Ds. The best mind game perk in the game

• S_Panda
    S_Panda Member Posts: 539

It really is. At first it was "lul I'll locker myself" to force / avoid slug. Now it's only 1-2 people are bringing it in my games so there's an obsession and me ignoring people that got unhooked recently that "play bold" end up not having it at all rofl

• megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742

Spine chill is maybe not THE best perk but it's definitly too underrated and optimal for stealth play. It has no cooldown, no noticeable downside and you can literally counter every stealth killer plus spirit. Most highranks and vets still think it just would be a beginner or noob perk but that's not true a tall. They just don't wanna trade it with dead hard and stuff and they don't wanna play stealthy either.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

I wish spine chill had its numbers buffed but then again it would be a tad overkill with resilience

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I jump into a locker after getting unhooked. Do I have inner strength? Head On? DS? Theres an obsession so no tunnelling and you must slug. Deliberate slows vaulting or saving so you get grabbed.

Best mind game perk

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

Spine chill is my favourite safety perk.

It warns you of danger way before it comes.

It might not seem that strong but if you process the information it provides you can make so many good decisions which save you again and again no matter what Killer. T1 Myers isn't effected by spine chill but you are still at no disadvantage from not having Spine chill Vs a T1 Myers. You should be looking just in case.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I don't know if it's the best. That after all will vary greatly depending on a person's play style. I will say it's extremely useful and underrated.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882

It's useful against certain killers especially a prayer beads spirit. However, it does not suit my play style. I always rotate my camera working on gens to have awareness and at this point in the game, I am confident enough to get into a chase and last a while. I also stay injured most of the match because I never heal. Because of this, my personal favorite survivor perk that I consider the best is dead hard. Like another poster mentioned, it's basically another health state.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

I wouldn't call it the best perk in the game, but it's funny how the veterans will trash talk it endlessly. I suspect they haven't used it enough to fully understand its benefits.

As of patch 3.3.0, even Tier 1 Myers will not be able to avoid Spine Chill detection, so it is useful against every killer.

Also, patch 3.3.0 will be nerfing Object of Obsession, making Spine Chill the best killer detection perk in the game, in my opinion.

Spine Chill will always be underrated, and those who don't think so will never be convinced otherwise because they cannot be bothered to play without their meta perks.

• GrootDude

It is my favorite but I wouldn’t necessarily say it is the best.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554

I used to love Premonition, but once i learned how to handle loops and understand how to use the environment to my advantage in relation to the distance at which i hear the TR made it pointless.

When it comes to the stealth killers, they all have a tell except Myers at TI, which i have enough reaction time to let go of gens, and GF who isn't strong anyways.

you're overvaluing the perk, especially when killers know that going back to the hook is the easiest way to kill, you know exactly whats going to happen. Dont need a perk for that

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

After two and a half years of playing...I'm finally using this. It's really handy and helps you plan ahead.

I used to be a Self-Care, Empathy, Dark Sense and Small Game kind of guy...but I am starting to be more open minded about perks, especially as I unlock all my remaining survivors teachables.

• StupidPallets
    StupidPallets Member Posts: 395

Premonition + Spine Chill + Lightweight + that Quiet Meg perk. Just run away every time. I like playing the game where I dont see the Killer ever. Then I get the hatch at the end when everyone is dead.

• justarandy
    justarandy Member Posts: 1,711

I personally see spine chill as a noob perk. Maybe the best perk for noobs/newbies together with sprint burst and selfcare. But on high level it's not meta.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

If you like wasted perk slots then yes, otherwise it's even harmful because it creates bad habits on top of not helping you when you actually need help.

Also most of what the perks gives you can be negated by developing better game senses.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

Well selfcare sucks

Spine chill is countered by moonwalking my guy

• bomb1720
    bomb1720 Member Posts: 428

erm... how does it help letting you know what killer is using, please give me some examples.

• bomb1720
    bomb1720 Member Posts: 428

why would you use premonition and spine chill the same time?

• megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742

Never ever saw a killer moonwalking across the whole map, but nice try tho. And the point of spine chill is definitly not to replace your eyes and ears. Seems you never used that perk once.

• Mochan

A lot of survivors here saying Spine Chill is negated by just being more aware.

This is nonsense. Spine Chill gives you an extra edge beyond awareness. It activates earlier than any Terror Radius (except those big ones inflated by Distressing and other stuff) and in the case of being in an enclosed space (which is like 90% of gens) gives a lot, lot more information than sight.

Survivors who seriously think awareness = spine chill are the newbs.

I get that loopers don't value Spine Chill, because you need your looping perks, and that's fine.

But the small edges you get from Spine Chill are huge in this game, especially for people who understand how to stealth and juke. Same way the small advantages you get from looping properly and vaulting properly make a huge difference.

But don't know the perk just because you don't know how to use it.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

Alert.

• Dryhigh
    Dryhigh Member Posts: 116

Love Spine Chill, super underrated in my opinion. It has saved my countless times.

• GrootDude

I see it almost every game at high ranks and you really underestimate sprint burst.

• GrootDude

I like looping and spine chill is bae, I can live without it but I love the perk.

• GrootDude

Even without spine chill, I still have eyes and ears. It is only a bad perk if you fully depend on it which a lot of people don’t, it hasn’t created bad habits for me yet.

• Mochan

Not saying all loopers don't like it.

And actually loopers can benefit from it as well. Looping relies on maintaining proper distance from the killer. Spine Chill helps you build that distance at the onset of the encounter.

Not to mention the vault benefit.

While primarily a stealth perk, Spine Chill is also useful to loopers.

• Mochan

I just realized I said, "But don't know the perk just because you don't know how to use it."

That doesn't even make sense. =_=

• Corrupted
    Corrupted Member Posts: 157
    edited October 2019

Spine chill isn't as good as people make it out to be. It counters stealth killers and is a soft counter to Spirit, has few uses on a few maps. That's about it,against any standard 32 terror radius killer, it honestly doesn't offer much. The heartbeat will give away their coming prescence anyway. And I honestly wouldn't recommend this over Iron will to counter Spirit.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

Actually I have moonwalked up on generators

I never used that perk as it straight up kills your senses and it doesn't tell you where the killer is at looking at you

Its not a bad perk, but there are better options

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

Borrowed time, Dead hard and D strike are way better perks and can save your life what Spine chill cant, however it is still a good perk and really underrated but it is defenatly not the best perk.

• KinofTheLegion
    KinofTheLegion Member Posts: 27

I always thought there where more downside's to the perk but its handy in some instances

• KinofTheLegion
    KinofTheLegion Member Posts: 27

I like laurie strodes perk where can do a skill check to break free from a killers grip to bad the check zones to small...

• Phox
    Phox Member Posts: 206

I used to think it was a beginner perk, or for immersed players only. I decided to try it when ghost face came out, now I almost always run it. I see a lot of people saying DH is better, it would be if it were reliable. Spine Chill won’t save you from mistakes like some perks, but it will help keep you from making some mistakes which is more useful (imo). The main reasons I use it..

I can work on any gen on any map against any killer and not worry about being snuck up on or trapped (especially on single gens in rooms with only one way out).

I know when it’s safe to go for the unhook, it’s especially useful when it’s a killer that can drop their heart beat and camp.

Spirit is easier to predict while phasing/faking.

I know for certain when I’m still being followed and when the killer lost me on maps with lots of LOS breakers.

The speed boost comes in clutch a LOT, especially opening the gates or popping a gen.

I don’t have to rely so much on luck when I’m the last one alive and the hatch is closed in regards to the gates.

That boost to vaulting has gotta be the most slept on benefit, because you don’t even realize when it saves you most the time.