We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Let's Talk About Keys: Too Strong or Balanced?

Options
icemancat
icemancat Member Posts: 147

Recently, there has been some talk about whether keys are too powerful or if they are fine where they stand right now. I'm very interested on other peoples thoughts since I kinda see how both sides view keys.

When I play survivor, I often run Plunderer's Instinct. For people who don't know what this perk does, it basically gives the person using the perk a better chance of getting higher rarity items from chests. This includes both Dull Keys and Skeleton Keys; two items that can be used to open the hatch and allow the survivor an instant escape. I personally enjoy the moments when I get keys from chests because of the significant amount of potential it has to change a game completely. However, playing as killer is a different story.

When I play killer, it's actually pretty frustrating to witness one or more survivors in a game instantly escape with not much for the killer to do in that situation. I understand that the killer can now close the hatch, but even with that ability, it still cannot counter keys. After the killer closes the hatch, the survivor can just open it back up. Even Franklin's Demise can't counter keys now that Plunderer's Instinct reveals items on the ground. Many people might not realize this, but when someone uses Plunderer's Instinct, every chest that is in the game now has a solid chance for the survivor to get a key. Some may argue that the killer can just use a Cut Coin Offering, but even that gets countered since it only takes one survivor using a Shiny Coin Offering to cancel the effect of the Cut Coin. Even after that, the other survivors can throw in Shiny Coins of their own to further increase the chances of getting a key. Which now brings me to my main question.

Do you think keys are too strong or balanced? I would love to hear other thoughts on this topic since it seems to be a discussion floating around in the forums recently.

Let's Talk About Keys: Too Strong or Balanced? 48 votes

Overpowered
25%
myers_obsessionGibberishSnyprLifeMiriamGGrandkuramaTAGxEaNuclearBurritoRin_is_my_waifuIIIHuTcHIIISlayer192845Xerge 12 votes
Balanced
31%
Pirscher0h_Doctorgrayon444ElkMiss_BritanniaAxX7891GrootDudePigsterDr_LoomisChatkovskipleasedontbetoxic117SebaOutbreakGamingwolvNyaren_ChanBaldursGate2 15 votes
It's Complicated
43%
BossPandomMister_xDCoodanJacoby2041TheLegendDyl4n1Redhawk_uk2jmaximo93[Deleted User]MedicSpirit7MrPenguinAwakeyAhoyWolfCarlosyluoh_0kTodgeweiht909SpaceTruckinAshGreentheNinjaSoloQue101 21 votes

Comments

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267
    Options
    Balanced

Oops i meant complicated, but my fat fingers didn't let me picked this one.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options
    It's Complicated

I mean, i usually dont have to many complaints with keys, but in the rare ocassion survivors get use of them in my games it just feels unfair.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    Options
    It's Complicated

They're fine, they just shouldn't be able to be found on chests.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,340
    Options
    It's Complicated

Depends on a few factors. If the last person gets out with a key its fine. The problem is when 2+ people escape because that forces you into a draw, or even a loss, and possibly depip because that's multiple people you now cant hit, hook, chase, ect. You can't do much about it except run franks and hope they don't pick the key back up.

SWF makes the item completely busted however. If one person has a key, all 4 have a key.

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Overpowered

Imagine if the Killer had a way to bring Survivors back into the trial after they already escaped and kill them.

Thats the essentially what the key is for Survivors. A way to cheese out an escape after you have already lost.

• SebaOutbreak
    SebaOutbreak Member Posts: 399
    Options
    Balanced

Survivors escaping the trial before their objectives are complete with the key is no different than the Killer using a Mori on someone's 2nd hook. Both provide a shortcut to victory in exchange of them being rare sights, specially keys. However, in comparison, a Mori is still more powerful than a key for multiple reasons.

So yes, it's balanced because it's something that doesn't usually happen in every game. Most of the time people are afraid of losing their keys if they don't bring that purple add-on so they don't use them at all.