DBD forcing killers to camp?

I found and killed two surviors in the killer shack and noticed the hatch door as there was one gen left.

Hung them both up close together and thought should I camp them but thought lets be nice and make it more fun.

I went looking for the final survior to give them a chance, arriving at the other side of map they both get unhooked,and all 3 escape with the purple key through the trap door...

I knew to increase my chances of winning I needed to stand in the middle and camp them but it wouldn't be fun for them.

However as a killer it wasn't fun for me as I knew where the hatch was and everyones next hook was their last one. As there is no counter to hatches/keys I couldn't seal it which only means in the next game it will be less fun for everyone as I will just know to camp.

I've been called toxic and not fun etc so have tried to improve my fun style when playing against surviors not playing well but write this as I want to be a reformed killer and the game to be fun, however whilst I realise the odds are against the killer (*professional killers vs professional swf on comms trials) myself and other killers will have to play less fun to have fun if that makes sense?

Comments

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928
    edited November 2019

In the end it's your choice. Play the way you wanna play. I personally stay near the hook when I hook the third survivor if the hatch is right next to it to get the 4k. You invest time and effort while playing, I don't see why you would invest them in your opponents favour.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

It's up to you.

Personally I would've done what you did, less to be nice and more before I'd much rather get at least one more chase in than just camp them as I personally find it boring to do so. But I'm someone who doesn't care a lot about the end result of a match and just want chases, so my particular reasoning only applies to me.

• Nyaren_Chan
    Nyaren_Chan Member Posts: 243

I think i wouldn't have camped, but i wouldn't have spread myself too thin throughout the map. I would have tried to patrol around the area, but indeed, if the hatch was there, you wouldn't have much time to react.. It's very unlucky indeed..

I once had to stay near an hooked survivor because the others were trying a strategy to make me go away by making me chase them, but it was too obvious and as soon as i had my back turned, they unhooked the person.

Never forget you're here to have fun, you can make strategical mistakes, but it's fine, and don't listen to toxic people.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

I learned and sometims I am stupid and still try to do it again just to get the experience again, necer be nice to survivors as Killer. Sometimes you get nice survivors that are nice too and write with you then or say thanks. But 90% of the time they are ######### and write mostly something like "ezzzz escape baby killer tried to camp".

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

Dont care for the survivors fun, theyll never start doing it for yours either.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

Camping is viable in certain situations, this may have been one.

Camping is just a bad idea when plenty of gens are left and youre just letting the others complete gens while waiting for one to die.

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

Never under any circumstances play not optimally to give survivors a chance, they have plenty of them, if they fail they’ll get better next time.

The killer role is so critical a slight mistake will lead you to a defeat.

• wannabeuk
    wannabeuk Member Posts: 135

Yeah, if you have two survivors on the hook and the hatch nearby and there is only one guy left. you KNOW he is going to go for the hooks, there is no other objective for you on the map. It's not "camping" at that point imo.

I go out of my way to walk away from hooks usually to find someone else not just because it's a crappy thing to do to the survivor, but because it makes the most sense tactically to keep pressure on the gens. But i'm not about to intentianlly lose the match to avoid "camping"

• smappdooda
    smappdooda Member Posts: 544

I prefer to call it "baiting the hook". You are luring another survivor to your location.

The survivors do it all the time. They try to bait you into a chase by purposfully failing a skill check or sending a good looper to get you away from the area in a chase. Throwing a body on a hook and patrolling the area and waiting for someone to come is the killer equivalent in my opinion.

Having said that, face camping is a waste of time and effort. Don't do that. Don't stand nose to nose with the hooked person.

• As long as you keep trying to please 4 other people and their made up rules your killer experience will always be bad. Play for yourself.

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

Honestly, do you know how rare it is for me to get a hatch escape? I'm rank 5, I've been playing this game a while. I almost never get the hatch, with or without the key. Often my other surviving teammate is camping the hatch while I try to get the last gen done by myself. The killer finds that person and instantly closes the hatch. I literally do not even try to find hatch, I just hope I have enough time to get a gate open once the killer closes it. It's very rare that I get out that way, but I escape more like that than I do via the hatch. And getting out with a key? I understand it has to be frustrating for a killer to watch survivors yeet on outta there, but that happens even less for me than a normal hatch escape when all my teammates are dead. I avoid keys in the bloodweb, and rarely search chests during the game, much less find a purple or pink key. The chances of me finding a key, being alive when the hatch spawns, and finding hatch? Pfft. I wish. It just wastes my time trying to find it when I could be doing gens. My favorite P3 survivor with every perk unlocked and by far the recipient of most bloodpoints I earn? Seven keys total. The only time I bring a key into a game is when I forget to leave a green one from the previous game and I bring it back in on accident.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I probably wouldn't have ran to the other side of the map if the hatch was there but I wouldn't have camped either.

Though I strongly disagree with the title dbd is forcing killers to camp. No killer needs to camp, a lot do it because they aren't good enough.

• MissGamer456
    MissGamer456 Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2019

I was using Rancor and My obsession had a key. My obsession is in a SWF with someone with OoO. I camped over her body waiting for the last gen to pop. They didn’t not pop the gen until they got her up and some distance away from me by taking hits. I caught back up to her getting ready to down her again THEN They finally popped the gen and my god was I very unlucky because the hatch spawn right in front of her and she escaped. I played that match well that match got everyone on death early thanks to haunt ground and they weren’t good runners so chases were very quick. (I don’t run RUIN btw.)

The Kate which is my obsession MSG me accused of being a tunneler and that I tunnel her even though I hooked someone else before I came back to her to kill her with Rancor lol again it’s not my fault that they can’t run me for a long time.

I called her an idiot stated “You’re my obsession you idiot” She knows that I have Rancor what do you expected me to do? Last gen Is at 99% am I supposed to just let you get away. That key saved her hardcore and that hatch spawn. She said she was gonna report me for calling her an Idiot lol

I’m fine with keys it’s just it can be frustrating when I play well and I feel like I deserve said that kill, but next match it’s like whatever. But! For some reason all my obsessions have keys and I never get a chance to mori them it’s so rare rancor works, but it’s a fun perk.

Honestly to secure kills you really to have to camp hardcore at the end whether it’s unfun or not because it can really turn the game around quick.

• SaintDenisSlasher
    SaintDenisSlasher Member Posts: 227

Well that's cool. I think the point of this was to try to bash killers because it's DBD but my entire point was the hatch is stupid and you furthered my point by talking about how your teammates aren't helping to camp the hatch which is.... dumb. I also don't see that happen very much tho and only had a key used on me a handful of times.

Im lower rank than you as survivor but i feel like i get the hatch fairly often. Most of the time if i don't know where it is and they kill the last person i look for it on my way to the exit door (something people don't seem to do very often against me but works more often than not if im full health and there's no no ed)

As killer 9/10 if i don't slug the 2nd to last person when i have no idea where the last guy is he gets hatch. I know mine is not a unique experience with that either it's just a fact of playing high rank killer.

The thing is though i think you're getting defensive that im basically saying the hatch should be removed or reworked "as a killer main", but most of the time people don't get the hatch on me unless i just don't care and kill the 2nd last person. I think the reason it's bad isn't because it gives the last survivor a free win but because the 2nd to last survivor is forced to wait while the other 2 play the game. And I've been all 3 people in that situation, none are very fun but that 2nd to last survivor position is the worst and shouldn't be an aspect of the game.....and i know I DO it but the alternative is to basically give the last person a free escape.

I guess its also important to state than most of the time i win its like 3+ gens left and when i lose its normally with 3+ people. So its not like the survivors can just do gens they're only hope is going to be the hatch. Thats also normally the case when i get it

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

Keys aside the closer you get to end game the more you're forced to stay near hooks,

For example once the gate is open you're best move is to camp, Its just how the games designed. An unhook can lead into a BT, DS, Adrenaline or Bodyblock to the exit, There's too many second chances to warrant leaving the hook at that stage.

• Rex_Huin
    Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208

Camp them to death, close the hatch and search for the final survivor is the guidance for this situation in the killers handbook.

• Lost_in_the_Fog
    Lost_in_the_Fog Member Posts: 452

I fully believe that camping is viable in certain circumstances and have defended this in endgame chat. I would have done it in this circumstance.

It's very annoying to me how often killers play by the polite rules survivors have made up only to have them turn around and pull toxic stuff like this. You had the courtesy to give up defending a main objective. They should have shown the courtesy of not using a key. Just another example of entitled survivors.

• GentleThing
    GentleThing Member Posts: 5

Survivor main. You should have patrolled at the very least. Honestly, in that circumstance, I wouldn't blame you for straight up camping the shack. Sure I'd be upset, but by the time the hatch spawns survivors should have at least 20k BP, unless they are unlucky and never got into a chase, and have no reason to feel cheated.

Face camping is always douchey, but camping when there are three objectives in one spot (two survivors and the hatch) just makes sense. And who knows, maybe you get outplayed and they get the save anyway?

I've definitely run into my fair share of tunneling killers which, while part of the game, drives me absolutely crazy. I've ran into WAY more survivors who are just ######### for the sake of it. Teabagging and body blocking and hiding all game. Don't blame yourself if that situation arises, because it's just part of the game.

• TeambossFloze
    TeambossFloze Member Posts: 1,260

I think this situation is drastically different to facecamping tbh - In this case the situation requires you to do this sotherefore you just have to maximise your BP/Pips - personally once the gens are complete I think its fair game tbh - during the game I wont face camp and run devour hope

• projecteulogy
    projecteulogy Member Posts: 671

Nope. That's called fair play. They did it to themselves... and If you saw a key in the pre-game lobby.... then you have an extra reason.

Fun =/= Logical. BUT I can understand wanting to have a "fun playstyle", because the reality is you actually earn more points for not eating everyone's face in less than 2 minutes. but this is a situation that almost requires patrolling. If 5 gens were still available and there was no hatch then yeah i would see that as camping.

DBD is highly situational. The survivors were stupid and careless. I don't think that would have been toxic at all. If someone holds the door open for you, it's rude not to walk through it and say thank you.

-Survivor Main

• sobrat1
    sobrat1 Member Posts: 45

I play for me so I'd camp that. Drop the third guy. Maybe give one of them hatch while the others are hooked.

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940

Thanks guys, the main point that most have answered was the game is more tactical than increasing fun levels for all but it's a killer game, there are winners and losers and sure people get salty how they lose.

I admit I am reading that invented survior rule book but at the end of the day the game was designed for surviors that didn't use comms, I really shouldn't feel bad when I do well and need to deal that killer blow of "camping" by standing between two hooks.

Killers are having to use the best killers and perks just to stand a chance against swf comms players at the moment and to be honest I play solo on killer and survior and have found myself playing more survior as it isn't as exhausting and more fun which is concerning as lobby times will further increase to try and find a killer it seems.

• Leobolics
    Leobolics Member Posts: 28

If you camp as killer don't start crying that you always get a Gen rush

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

Circular logic. Camping is also the answer to gen rush. Don't listen to survivors and pitch that tent when you need to. It's not like survivors say to each other "OMG we're really going through these gens, let's give the killer a chance to play his part."

• StrickxNyne
    StrickxNyne Member Posts: 230

As a survivor main, thank you for doing that, for real no sarcasm. Games are so much fun when the killer is leaving the hook and crossing the map. It feels like it gives me a chance even though I know the killer will be back, and will probably catch me and hook me again. I survive with friends and maybe we suck but we lose, a ton. Mostly camping killers and 1 of my always teammates hides so much they get birds every single game then hatch camps. I wish there was incentive for the killer to kill them instead of me who they always find on a Gen.

Devs from a survivor main, if the person with a key hasn't done 2 full gens don't let the hatch open for the key. Put a "pig trap" of sorts that activates the key only after the person has at minimum helped turn on 2 gens or after 2 die. I'm burnt working gens hard to be found on gens while the hiders hatch out doing absolutely nothing or a few hook saves that give them insane points over doing anything else.

Tldr: camping killers suck as bad as Gen rushers and hatchers. Hatch feels like rancor or mori it's about the only answer to them. Or hatch only if there's a mori or perk or add on that allows kills. Killer moris someone after 1st hook hatch auto opens killing after 1st hook is on point with Gen rush and early hatch out. Stop the dookie practice on both sides.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    edited November 2019

I forced a game to EGC so i could noed a survivor in order to hook them and camp them to complete "DARK TRIUMPH"...

• The_Bootie_Gorgon

I didn't care about fun, i cared about completing the master challenge...

• The_Bootie_Gorgon

i'm being a mega ######### in order to complete "reverent"...

• kalivooo
    kalivooo Member Posts: 27

Such bad grammar. I remember when intellectuals used to play this game.

• idgaf
    idgaf Member Posts: 3

It's very considerate of you to think of the overall enjoyment of the game for the benefit of everyone. Many other killers are still garbage tier in terms of knowing how to have a good time compared to you.

As many ppl here have said, you can patrol around just don't outright camp the survivors since it is just a game and games are meant to be fun.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

If I had 2 people in the basement with the hatch right there, I'm not leaving. To hell with the survivors fun. They didn't pay for my copy of the game. I don't play this game so someone else can have fun.