The Ban hammer - Hong Kong. and what it means for game companies.

Options

Yes, let us discuss the ban hammer. I dont remember if I posted this or not. Maybe. maybe not.

The whole deal encompasses the fact that this game has a TOTAL ban system if someone doesn't like what another person said or did. Just Like Blizzard IS in hot water with U.S. lawmakers after Hong Kong. It should be to no surprise that game companies will soon be under the hot fire-like talons of the United States Federal Trade Commission. It is coming. I already KNOW it is coming. From both sides of the Aisle inside of the halls of our Governing bodies. Lobbyists are now forging NEW laws that will regulate the gaming industry.

What will be defined.

Bans : At what point can a game company even have a right to terminate an account of the act of saying something which does NOT contain a threat of violence? This deprives one of a SAID and/or defined service that in which they EXCHANGED money for.

>>My proposal is. Either BHVR Close the MATCH LOBBY'S chat down OR properly enforce it WITH MUTE BANS. NOT ACCOUNT bans. <<

I personally am PROUD to say that I owned a Server which HOSTED valve content and followed the guidelines that STEAM has. That is. If a player was OUT of line. We mute-banned them, AND if they were cheating. We reported it to VAC.

So many game companies think that the only response is to bar someone from access to the service. But if we look at it from a technical standpoint. This IS infact unethical and unlawful. Sure. it enrages us to NO avail. That there are people whom say terrible things to one another. I am NOT saint by any means. BUT if we go back to the Blizzard Hong-Kong incident. IT goes to show that without a doubt. That every game company out there. That wants backing of the fanbase. Must now look for a new system to prevent MAJOR outcries. Which can DE-RAIL a company entirely. and OVER NIGHT. Might I add.

With that said. I would ENCOURAGE BHVR to follow suit and show that they support Freedom of Speech and what it means to ALL of us. It protects THEIR right as a game company to MAKE artwork and NOT be limited by rulings. Which the same in-turn goes the other way around. IT is a two-way street. Every voice matters. Even if it is sincerely very terse or very celebrated.

Thank you and remember. Our freedoms walk a thin wire between oppressed views and the creativity freedom we cherish.

Comments

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

The Blizzard Hong Kong situation is a lot more complex situation then most think. And I don't think it is anyway comparable to Behavior's in game chat, if you are saying horrible things in post game chat you deserve to be punished for it. Muting people is just going to encourage people to say things in chat they shouldn't because they know for a fact that they'll just get muted and won't get banned so I don't care what happens I'll say this bad stuff to this person in the ingame chat.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

I absolutely do not support Blizzard's recent Hearthstone tournament sanctions at all, but all games have Terms of Service that give the publisher substantial leeway to terminate accounts as they deem necessary. This is never going to change.

Also, Behaviour hasn't done anything untoward in this regard, so I can't really say that I follow whatever it is you're getting at, here.