We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Dull Hooks ( Killer perk idea)

Options
EqMonkVeeshan
EqMonkVeeshan Member Posts: 416

skill name: Dull Hooks
The killer Dulls his hooks to cause extreme pain when hooking a survivor. the survivor's scream is 30%, 50%, 70% louder when hooked, any one within 12 meters,16 meters,20 meters at the time of the hooking receives the exposed status for 60 seconds.

I suggest this perk as a counter to hook blocking /body blocking close to hooks. it would help weed out some toxic SWF groups and force them away some what.

Comments

• Dabrownman1812
    Dabrownman1812 Member Posts: 1,857
    Options
    Also op and unbalanced. Similar to d strike unbalance. I like the idea, but it's not worth it for a game. Insidious nearby and take advantage. Any perk that gaurantees success with very little risk reward is bad on either side.
  • EqMonkVeeshan
    edited July 2018
    Options

@Dabrownman1812 said:
    Also op and unbalanced. Similar to d strike unbalance. I like the idea, but it's not worth it for a game. Insidious nearby and take advantage. Any perk that gaurantees success with very little risk reward is bad on either side.

how is it OP it can easily be avoided? I am a survivor main and I see how bad us survivors can be in this instance with body blocking and hook blocking and this would definitely make me think about sitting under or near a hook with a killer packing some one to it. i would not say it guarantees success. its just the proper risk involved with the activity. you play risky you deserve the penalty.

• Dabrownman1812
    Options
    I'm a survivor main myelf, I understand the toxicity but think bout it like this, gens are by hooks, so someone not trying to be toxic just gets exposed? It makes more sense to give the exposed status to someone who unhooks someone in your terrorradius. Actually punish the action.
  • EqMonkVeeshan
    Options

it is called awareness if some ones not paying attention to the place a killers going to hang some one then they deserve to be exposed. this is a perk to help against body blocking and hook blocking and is really needed. I was gonna suggest a perk that when a killer was carrying some one it would give exposed status to any one within 4 meters of him. this would also counter it but then it would also totally make body blocking no longer an option. where as per the way my suggestion you could still body block and take that chance to help a friend get free at the risk of if he got hooked you might get exposed. also my suggestion would still allow for a person to take a hit while a killer is packing some one to the hook and still get a token for WGLF but at the risk they might not clear the range if there is a hooking.

• Sziosis
    Sziosis Member Posts: 198
    Options

I like the sound of it as a killer, but exposed is a bit much. I would say it deafens them to all sounds including your terror radious for 15/20/25 seconds

• Mrrgle_the_Mediocre
    Mrrgle_the_Mediocre Member Posts: 346
    Options

@Sziosis said:
    I like the sound of it as a killer, but exposed is a bit much. I would say it deafens them to all sounds including your terror radious for 15/20/25 seconds

Only if you slap Kate on the hook, lmao.
    Deafening.

• EqMonkVeeshan
    Options

yea Kate might destroy eardrums. but it be a good fun perk how I suggested it.

• Oblivion1912
    Oblivion1912 Member Posts: 10
    Options

I don't think another exposed status effect perk is what the game needs considering killers with instant down abilities or add-ons along with perks that do that too such as NOED or Make Your Choice. Some other adverse effect instead of becoming exposed could work but there are too many exposing elements in the game as is and with this perk, it could make killers even more OP

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481
    edited July 2018
    Options

As others have said exposed isn't likely the answer here. While survivors need to incur a LOT more risk for interacting with the killer than they do now, that likely has to come from the killer being more able to permanently affect them than by making it easier for them to go down.

I mean think about it, even if someone goes down BY a hook, it is rather hard for a killer to really capitalize on that on most maps. They can trade a hook for a hook, which is an ok outcome, but they risk being flashlighted or slammed because its very likely other survivors will be ready for a rescue. They can try to defend the hook and the guy down, but that is difficult if they are smart or crawl away. And it is unlikely this will result in downs as the time it takes a killer to hook allows for an extreme amount of safe positioning. A killer who tries to hit the exposed target ultimately is going to just have to go through another chase and likely won't be able to land the hit unless the survivor is so bad the down was free anyway.

I think the issue with survivor over-aggression more comes from the fact it is zero cost if the killer can't afford to dedicate time to hook you, as the only real things a killer can do to affect a survivor is to incapacitate them or kill them.

A potential redesign could be to cause the scream to demoralize the survivors and slow down their run speed, so if they try to do that 2 man bait strategy where two survivors constantly in turn agress the hook while never getting close enough to allow a hit, or if they are bodyblocking at the hook or otherwise threatening it even as you are point blank, they basically auto lose the chase. It solves the issue with the current design where exposed really only works on survivors who are bad anyway, by limiting the survivor's options to engage with the hook safely, because suddenly if the killer uses this perk and you were too aggressive you basically auto lose the chase.

It still likely wouldn't be good, because it doesn't solve the fundamental issue that survivor hook aggression isn't really punishable enough and the killer doesn't get enough for hooking a survivor, but at least it wouldn't be a dead perk in most scenarios.

However I do like the idea of more killer perks that allow a killer to punish disrespect. Staying near the hook for a hook inherently is risky and aggressive, and it is totally fair for a perk to exist that punishes that without telegraphing. I also like how this perk has a very clear trigger event, much like BBQ, that also has clear strong counterplay, because it allows the perk to have a really extreme effect like 'win the chase basically automatically' without it actually being unfair. Just by not trying to bodyblock the hook but instead waiting in the band between BBQ's aura read and this exposing or slowing you, you can trivially shut down this perk, meaning that as long as you respect this perk the killer is only a 3 perk build, or 2 if you also counter BBQ! But at the same time the perk existing is good because it suddenly creates a metagame where survivors may be respecting a perk that doesn't exist, and even if the killer has the perk they get a lesser benefit in that the survivors don't want to go agro the hook too early.

There are really good design elements here, it is just exposed is weird and both feels unfair for the survivors while strictly speaking not being very good at countering what actually tends to happen near the hook.

• EqMonkVeeshan
    edited July 2018
    Options

@dezzmont said:
    As others have said exposed isn't likely the answer here. While survivors need to incur a LOT more risk for interacting with the killer than they do now, that likely has to come from the killer being more able to permanently affect them than by making it easier for them to go down.

I mean think about it, even if someone goes down BY a hook, it is rather hard for a killer to really capitalize on that on most maps. They can trade a hook for a hook, which is an ok outcome, but they risk being flashlighted or slammed because its very likely other survivors will be ready for a rescue. They can try to defend the hook and the guy down, but that is difficult if they are smart or crawl away. And it is unlikely this will result in downs as the time it takes a killer to hook allows for an extreme amount of safe positioning. A killer who tries to hit the exposed target ultimately is going to just have to go through another chase and likely won't be able to land the hit unless the survivor is so bad the down was free anyway.

I think the issue with survivor over-aggression more comes from the fact it is zero cost if the killer can't afford to dedicate time to hook you, as the only real things a killer can do to affect a survivor is to incapacitate them or kill them.

A potential redesign could be to cause the scream to demoralize the survivors and slow down their run speed, so if they try to do that 2 man bait strategy where two survivors constantly in turn agress the hook while never getting close enough to allow a hit, or if they are bodyblocking at the hook or otherwise threatening it even as you are point blank, they basically auto lose the chase. It solves the issue with the current design where exposed really only works on survivors who are bad anyway, by limiting the survivor's options to engage with the hook safely, because suddenly if the killer uses this perk and you were too aggressive you basically auto lose the chase.

It still likely wouldn't be good, because it doesn't solve the fundamental issue that survivor hook aggression isn't really punishable enough and the killer doesn't get enough for hooking a survivor, but at least it wouldn't be a dead perk in most scenarios.

However I do like the idea of more killer perks that allow a killer to punish disrespect. Staying near the hook for a hook inherently is risky and aggressive, and it is totally fair for a perk to exist that punishes that without telegraphing. I also like how this perk has a very clear trigger event, much like BBQ, that also has clear strong counterplay, because it allows the perk to have a really extreme effect like 'win the chase basically automatically' without it actually being unfair. Just by not trying to bodyblock the hook but instead waiting in the band between BBQ's aura read and this exposing or slowing you, you can trivially shut down this perk, meaning that as long as you respect this perk the killer is only a 3 perk build, or 2 if you also counter BBQ! But at the same time the perk existing is good because it suddenly creates a metagame where survivors may be respecting a perk that doesn't exist, and even if the killer has the perk they get a lesser benefit in that the survivors don't want to go agro the hook too early.

There are really good design elements here, it is just exposed is weird and both feels unfair for the survivors while strictly speaking not being very good at countering what actually tends to happen near the hook.

yea I get what you're saying and I agree with you maybe make them exhausted, hindered & mangled for 150 seconds. if within the range of the scream.

• EqMonkVeeshan
    Options

@Oblivion1912 said:
    I don't think another exposed status effect perk is what the game needs considering killers with instant down abilities or add-ons along with perks that do that too such as NOED or Make Your Choice. Some other adverse effect instead of becoming exposed could work but there are too many exposing elements in the game as is and with this perk, it could make killers even more OP

the reason I suggested exposed as some killers are not high mobile killers or one shot down killers. and this would help them out a fair bit to counter such acts happening to them. as the high mobile killers and one shot killers basically have a variation of this perk built in as most survivors respect the abilities they have and move a ways back. it is the killers that lack this built in danger aspect that needs this type of perk.

• EqMonkVeeshan
    Options

@Sziosis said:

I would go for that as long as it also hides the red stain for that long as well.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    TheLegendDyl4n1 Member Posts: 1,493
    Options

@EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Dabrownman1812 said:

how is it OP it can easily be avoided? I am a survivor main and I see how bad us survivors can be in this instance with body blocking and hook blocking and this would definitely make me think about sitting under or near a hook with a killer packing some one to it. i would not say it guarantees success. its just the proper risk involved with the activity. you play risky you deserve the penalty.

have you heard of were gonna live forever? body blocking is literally the point of that perk.

• Dabrownman1812
    Options

@Oblivion1912 said:

the reason I suggested exposed as some killers are not high mobile killers or one shot down killers. and this would help them out a fair bit to counter such acts happening to them. as the high mobile killers and one shot killers basically have a variation of this perk built in as most survivors respect the abilities they have and move a ways back. it is the killers that lack this built in danger aspect that needs this type of perk.

As I said, punish the unhook action if you want to do it that way, if you hook someone by a gen being worked on or totem, why should a survivor get punished with that? This can be abused with agitation and iron grasp. Punish the unhook, not the fact that survivors are there. Body blocking is an issue but thats why certain have due diligence or play with headphones to know if peeps running up before the pick up. Free exposed in a general area is a little too much. I play killer and survivor, if your point is to punish an action then punish the action.
  • EqMonkVeeshan
    Options

@TheLegendDyl4n1 said:

@EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Dabrownman1812 said:

have you heard of were gonna live forever? body blocking is literally the point of that perk.

did you not read this whole thread where I specifically talked about WGLF in my third post? and explained why my perk suggestion wouldn't change it much at all.

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426
    Options
    A suggestion to change this a bit, if the survivor is unhooked it decreases the time to 5 seconds, or 0 if it's below 5. Or than it COMPLETELY counters altruism.
  • EqMonkVeeshan
    edited August 2018
    Options

@Dabrownman1812 said:
    EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Oblivion1912 said:

As I said, punish the unhook action if you want to do it that way, if you hook someone by a gen being worked on or totem, why should a survivor get punished with that? This can be abused with agitation and iron grasp. Punish the unhook, not the fact that survivors are there. Body blocking is an issue but thats why certain have due diligence or play with headphones to know if peeps running up before the pick up. Free exposed in a general area is a little too much. I play killer and survivor, if your point is to punish an action then punish the action.

the whole idea of the perk is not to punish any one unhooking some one. it is to put more risk to body blocking near hooks. not sure why you're your talking about punishing unhooking. Make your choice is a great perk to run and useful. but in no way do we need another perk like that. we need something that will help against toxic play of body blocking around hooks. not sure why you're so hung up on people near by who do not pay attention. getting a exposed status. it would be a solid addition to the game if they did bring this perk to life. it would add map pressure to areas around hooks that killers would be hooking others, it would slow the game down a little bit if survivors was smart and moved from the direct area. getting exposed isn't a instant down if you get exposed it means you need to avoid the killers even more. killers that do not normally one shot down would use this perk happily. as I originally suggested and this is coming from a survivor main and I would absolutely love to see killers running this...... in the end its all about risk versus reward. it seems you want no risk for being near the killer, god knows no one fears killers anymore. where as a survivor I want there to be risky plays i want to fear the killer, I want to be worried about if i am near a patch of hooks and might get a exposed status if I am to close to the path he might be taking.

• Dabrownman1812
    Options

@Dabrownman1812 said:
    EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Oblivion1912 said:

the whole idea of the perk is not to punish any one unhooking some one. it is to put more risk to body blocking near hooks. not sure why you're your talking about punishing unhooking. Make your choice is a great perk to run and useful. but in no way do we need another perk like that. we need something that will help against toxic play of body blocking around hooks. not sure why you're so hung up on people near by who do not pay attention. getting a exposed status. it would be a solid addition to the game if they did bring this perk to life. it would add map pressure to areas around hooks that killers would be hooking others, it would slow the game down a little bit if survivors was smart and moved from the direct area. getting exposed isn't a instant down if you get exposed it means you need to avoid the killers even more. killers that do not normally one shot down would use this perk happily. as I originally suggested and this is coming from a survivor main and I would absolutely love to see killers running this...... in the end its all about risk versus reward. it seems you want no risk for being near the killer, god knows no one fears killers anymore. where as a survivor I want there to be risky plays i want to fear the killer, I want to be worried about if i am near a patch of hooks and might get a exposed status if I am to close to the path he might be taking.

So why not make the affect that survivors 4,6, 8 meters from a hook are exposed while carrying someone?once again, address the issue.
  • EqMonkVeeshan
    edited August 2018
    Options

@Dabrownman1812 said:
    EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Dabrownman1812 said:

EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Oblivion1912 said:

the reason I suggested exposed as some killers are not high mobile killers or one shot down killers.  and this would help them out a fair bit to counter such acts happening to them. as the high mobile killers and one shot killers basically have a variation of this perk built in as most survivors respect the abilities they have and move a ways back. it is the killers that lack this  built in  danger aspect that needs this type of perk.

So why not make the affect that survivors 4,6, 8 meters from a hook are exposed while carrying someone?once again, address the issue.

@Dabrownman1812 said:
    EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Dabrownman1812 said:

EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Oblivion1912 said:

the reason I suggested exposed as some killers are not high mobile killers or one shot down killers.  and this would help them out a fair bit to counter such acts happening to them. as the high mobile killers and one shot killers basically have a variation of this perk built in as most survivors respect the abilities they have and move a ways back. it is the killers that lack this  built in  danger aspect that needs this type of perk.

I suggest the range I said to also help add map pressure to maps of slower not as mobile killers. as they really need to have an ability to put more pressure on a map in general. not only would this help counter body blocking but it would also help survivors in more then likely they would stay out a bit and show up on BBQ and Chili and make the killer move away from the hook. as tons of killers if they see no one show up on BBQ & Chili will stay directly near the hook. I know in the rare times I do play killer. if no one shows up on BBQ and Chili I know they all to close so my best option is to stay near by. till I find one or I feel they have moved away. also if you made the perk to where it was exposed for being close to the killer while he is carrying some one you would effectively null out any form of body blocking where its still a legit strategy with my original suggestion just a more risky one at that. so under my suggestion perks like WGLF would still be useful.

• Dabrownman1812
    Options

@Dabrownman1812 said:
    EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Dabrownman1812 said:

EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Oblivion1912 said:

@Dabrownman1812 said:
    EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Dabrownman1812 said:

EqMonkVeeshan said:

@Oblivion1912 said:

I suggest the range I said to also help add map pressure to maps of slower not as mobile killers. as they really need to have an ability to put more pressure on a map in general. not only would this help counter body blocking but it would also help survivors in more then likely they would stay out a bit and show up on BBQ and Chili and make the killer move away from the hook. as tons of killers if they see no one show up on BBQ & Chili will stay directly near the hook. I know in the rare times I do play killer. if no one shows up on BBQ and Chili I know they all to close so my best option is to stay near by. till I find one or I feel they have moved away. also if you made the perk to where it was exposed for being close to the killer while he is carrying some one you would effectively null out any form of body blocking where its still a legit strategy with my original suggestion just a more risky one at that. so under my suggestion perks like WGLF would still be useful.

40 meters for bbq is actually not that small
  • Dabrownman1812
    Options
    To each their own guy lol. Fear killers should be in their power first and foremost, not their perks.