Free Character Rotation

Options
SkeletalElite
SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,669
edited November 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions

Dead by daylight has a pretty large roster of characters now and only a few are free which can be a little daunting to new players considering picking up the game. A free rotation of killers/survivors could be a cool way to make the ratio of base game content to DLC a little better while also keeping the incentive to buy characters.

However, it is not unreasonable to make it so that any teachables unlocked on a free rotation character do not become available until the character is actually owned, since a free rotation would add 3 perks PER character which is a little crazy, the devs still want to sell DLCs after all, and also survivors are only skins beyond their perks.

There is also the concern that in the future, tome's will require the use of characters and perks that are a part of the DLC, making completion not possible to people who don't buy it, which seems scummy. Having the tome characters be apart of the free rotation could be a way to get around this.

Edit: I see two ways to do the free rotation

1) The characters rotate with the rift

2) The characters for the tome rotate with the rift while there is an either weekly or monthly rotation for non tome characters.

Comments

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    Options

Also another thing they should do - Make a perk that's required for rift availible for free if you have the challenge equipped.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

I think this sounds like a pretty great idea. Maybe have one killer and one survivor available to play for free each week or fortnight.

I'm sure they could code it so that you can't unlock teachable perks on characters you don't own, so you wouldn't be able to earn a free character's teachables. You could invest bloodpoints into them if you wanted, and the bloodpoint investment would remain, but after the rotation the character would be locked from play again.

This seems like a better solution to the archives issue than just having the perks in the Shrine, and I'm sure it would appeal to new players as well, or people deciding which DLC to buy next.

Perhaps the characters in question could even be slightly discounted in the store for the duration of their rotation, to encourage people to buy them once they've tested them out.