The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Make second stage Struggling automatic

I'm sorry, I get that this was put in to make you feel like you're fighting for your life but there's no sense of fear i get from it. I think making this struggle automatic would have multiple benefits.

1. No more worrying about a random lag spike, connection issue, etc causing you to die when you are actually attempting to struggle.
  2. No more complaints from people who feel like they're wearing out their space bar needlessly.
  3. No more people deciding to give up on their team, they can wander away to grab a drink and still buy some time for their team.
  4. See the above, the rash of first hook suicide will jump up with the upcoming DC bans so this will at least force them to wait one minute before they bail on the team.

Comments

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,495
    edited November 2019

Im game screw the people saying theyll purposely die on 1st hook at least then the survivor and killer gets alittle more bp. Also i hate when the game lags and kills me on hook.

• ygnea
    ygnea Member Posts: 116

*laughs in macro*

• FabV
    FabV Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2019

A change on the struggle phase shouldn't be done to prevent people giving up. Sometimes I'm hooked and I get camped, or see the others doing gens or staying hidden even if the killer leaves me, letting me reach stage 2 on my first hook. In these cases I stop struggling and I don't want it to change.

Anyway, survivors' thumbs could get some rest if the struggle was only holding a button/key, not tapping, or if the automatic struggle was implemented with a "give up" option by pressing a button/key.

Post edited by FabV on
  • ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

Yes please. Mashing one button is really annoying, and leads to some unwanted deaths.

One game in particular I remember, where I really enjoyed the match against a Demogorgon, and then I accidentally killed myself on the hook. So stupid.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

When you see them doing gens, you know they don’t have to get you immediately right? There is no difference whether they get you right off the hook or wait 55 seconds. I often see teammates finish a gen or totem then run over to me after 30 seconds, if I was you I would have given up and not had a chance to escape.

• supersonic853

And what if i have bt to get you off that hook regardless of the camper and trade places with you you killing yourself gives the other survivors no chance to do anything i always run bt and find it stupid when survivors kill themselves on hook.

• FabV

Sorry I missed one thing : it's when on my first hook, I reach stage 2 and the other survivors obviously don't care.

(First post edited)

• johnmwarner

Meh I’ve had that happen to me, I selflessly eat another minute of mashing the struggle and buy my team a little more time and earn some struggle BPs and a bit more time alive in trial for emblem and exp

• FabV

If I get camped on first hook and no one has come to me until I reach struggle phase, I assume no one has BT.

• supersonic853

Also if you are getting camped we arent supposed to get you but you can at least keep the killer on you your the difference between another minute of the killer being distracted (which can be another genl

• Wuhelm
    Wuhelm Member Posts: 260

I like this idea it would combat suiciding on the hook. I mean you still suicide on the hook it's just going to take you a little longer

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Survivors should have the choice to struggle or give up.

• supersonic853
    edited November 2019

Even if it screws their team and drags them down with them? if i get camped i tell my team rush those gens ive saved you a good bit of time. Infact if my friends have bnp i kinda wanna be caught.

• Mr_K

Yes

This is not a game of handholding and forced behavior.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Ohey, i remember you responding to me about this. 🤭

• supersonic853
    edited November 2019

This is also a team based game where we need all we can get if the guy kills himself on 1st hook like instantly we may have all the gens left with the 3 of us which is already a kinda big disadvantage if you dont wanna be a teamplayer and be selfish why even play? (This is personally my philosophy since i help other survivors whenever i can)

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250

I would like this so I don't have to button mash ^^

• johnmwarner

We’re starting to find the players that can’t figure out how to rank up because “my team is always bad,” or “the killer always tunnels me.”

Im sure we’ll get replies of “dude I’m rank 1 survivor every month,” or possibly “rank doesn’t mean anything.”

Its a team game, I’ll do anything I can to help the team out and screw over the killer if he’s camping me. It’s an allowed method for the killer, but if the hooked person is selfless and the team is smart and cranks gens the killer will never pip this way. At the red ranks I find very very few campers because it isn’t possibly to pip consistently that way.

• Mr_K

So you would force someone to struggle on the hook for the team. Should we also prevent kobe attempts? How about if the survivor refuses to work on gens or works on gens but blows every skill check? What's stopping them from running up to the killer and teabagging?

I understand you want good teammates but you cannot force them to be good teammates. You have to deal with what the choices you and your teammates make.

If a player doesn't want to play they shouldn't be playing. It's a mindset issue not a game issue.

• supersonic853

Do you get banned in other games for refusing to play i know overwatch and cod throwing is a bannable offense. Idrk about this game.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

100% agree. It's one of the reasons I don't like playing survivor is the struggle mechanic. It really needs too be automatic. The game lost it's horror elements a while ago, so having this mechanic still in doesn't fit anything.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited November 2019

100% agree, there are people I know that tried to get into this game and as soon as they had to do that they said they felt just plain ridiculous and usually that triggered their declining interest until they would quit the game entirely.

Seriously Devs, THIS IS AN ARCHAIC AND OUTDATED MECHANIC; it does THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU WNAT IT TO DO, so please fix it already. Sorry for caps but I feel those words need to be very stressed here.

• johnmwarner

A lot of team games do punish you for things like AFK or sandbagging they team. It is a mindset thing, sometimes consequences are the only way to make something rethink or change their mindset.

If people wanna run at the killer and eat in immediate hook, try three times to escape and then die during struggle at least this keeps their character alive a bit longer to slow the killer down and help their team. Ten seconds to carry you to the unhook and then a minute in the struggle phase at least buys the team 70 seconds.

• FabV

These are the gameplay bannable offenses :

• Working with the opposite team to gain an advantage or grief teammates
    • Targeting specific users repeatedly in order to ruin their game experience
    • Holding the game hostage

• Mr_K

What is the difference in throwing and being bad? I see survivors playing how they should but make bad decisions that could be seen as throwing the match. Farming someone off the hook without BT. Should we consider this griefing? Maybe their plan was to swap places or take the hit. Maybe they didn't like you searching that basement chest and wanted to get you killed. To an outside observer how could you tell?

As far as banning players not "playing" (which is only been specified as being AFK) requires several instances in order for a temp ban.

• Mr_K

Correct some games do punish AFK and sandbagging. To some extent so does DBD. AFK is easy to point out but it still takes several games for BHVR to punish this behavior. Sandbagging is harder to point out as it is normal in this game to unintentionally sandbag your teammates. So unless they're a streamer stating on stream they are sandbagging its hard to see BHVR doing anything about it.

A player who begins to hook suicide after DC timeouts are put in place and does so nearly every game are going to stop playing eventually. Forcing them to play a match won't force them to play well. It would be better for those types to drop in rank or get too bored of the game and move on.

Now as a killer, if I see someone run up to me wanting to get an early exit I will slug them and continue my patrol. If they DC at least they are now counted as such.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

Or just make how fast you gotta press it much slower?

• johnmwarner

You make good points, I appreciate discussing both sides. In regards to them dropping rank or never getting above rank 12 for example because they always DC this just means new players are going to get paired with them constantly too which is not a good first impression

• Mr_K

I would like if players that DC often get matched with other players that DC as well. The only way out of it is to not DC and deal with their teammates giving up. Hopefully that would drive home what they are doing to their own teammates and change their ways.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

I want this so bad. It should be hold the button on first hook to attempt escape, and maybe hold button on second phase to suicide, though I fear we have enough of that nowadays as it is. People die on first hook all the time for reasons I can't comprehend. Don't ruin the game for the rest of us just because you got caught. Plenty of times I'm hooked within a minute but can escape with some luck.

• johnmwarner

Oh my gosh, we’ve talked about this idea in several threads before. I’m sure all of them would complain about getting paired with people who DC for stupid reasons because they think they’re so justified in theirs.

• hexgongiveittoya
    hexgongiveittoya Member Posts: 7

Bumping this because I was killed while struggling on hook today.I was pressing spacebar and BAM, instant death for no apparent reason.

Stop this nonsense.