New killer looking for tips

iceman2kx
iceman2kx Member Posts: 462

Hey all,

So I've played <10 games so far and I'm really enjoying this game. The perks I am using are iron grasp, whispers and BBQ and chili on Leatherface (I'm rank 17, not sure if that makes a difference or not). My main problem is generators are getting done before I can even find anyone. I'll patrol gens and kick them, but I'm not finding the survivors at the gens. My secondary problems would be I have trouble keeping up with some survivors who can just loop me pallet after pallet. Also, often, some survivors just disappear on me (I have trouble keeping track of them) while I'm crushing a pallet or climbing a window. I do have color vision problems IRL and the "scratch" marks left by survivors are very hard to see.

I know I need to practice, but I was just wondering if anyone knew some neat strategies to help with these issues I'm having?

Thank you!

Comments

• CallMeRusty420
    CallMeRusty420 Member Posts: 615

Everything you said here just sounds like a practice makes perfect situation. Just keep playin and work on yourself and your gameplay. As for the colorblind part, that may make it harder on you as well.

• inkedsoulz
    inkedsoulz Member Posts: 93

@iceman2kx said:
    Hey all,

So I've played <10 games so far and I'm really enjoying this game. The perks I am using are iron grasp, whispers and BBQ and chili on Leatherface (I'm rank 17, not sure if that makes a difference or not). My main problem is generators are getting done before I can even find anyone. I'll patrol gens and kick them, but I'm not finding the survivors at the gens. My secondary problems would be I have trouble keeping up with some survivors who can just loop me pallet after pallet. Also, often, some survivors just disappear on me (I have trouble keeping track of them) while I'm crushing a pallet or climbing a window. I do have color vision problems IRL and the "scratch" marks left by survivors are very hard to see.

I know I need to practice, but I was just wondering if anyone knew some neat strategies to help with these issues I'm having?

Thank you!

Try to unlock the hag and then unluck Ruin, its a perk that might help you to have more time.

• Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073
    One of the most important things I can offer is to look with your ears. Grass is very loud in this game and can be a telltale sign someone is near. Also survivors grunt when they enter lockers so listen out for that too. If you get blinded by a survivor, listen for the off click to get an idea of where they're headed or for their grunts of pain if they're injured. Auditory ques will help you a LOT once you recognize them.
  • DepravedKiller
    DepravedKiller Member Posts: 182

@Khroalthemadbomber said:
    One of the most important things I can offer is to look with your ears. Grass is very loud in this game and can be a telltale sign someone is near. Also survivors grunt when they enter lockers so listen out for that too. If you get blinded by a survivor, listen for the off click to get an idea of where they're headed or for their grunts of pain if they're injured. Auditory ques will help you a LOT once you recognize them.

Basically this, if you don't use a headset then start too or crank that sound up.

Also try and think like a survivor like how are they likely to hide from you? if you come from the middle of the map are there pallets to your left or right of the gen. Give the gen a circle around and listen for movement.
    If they drop a pallet on you would it be safer for them to go right or left after?

You have decent perks as well so like it was mentioned practice makes perfect

• BillCosby
    BillCosby Member Posts: 27

camp toxics

• Taelance
    Taelance Member Posts: 100

@BillCosby said:
    camp toxics

DO NOT DO THIS YOU WILL LOSE THE GAME

the worst mistake is to camp as if the survivors do the gens rather than going for the hook then you are done for and you will have one killer

• BillCosby

@Taelance said:

@BillCosby said:
    camp toxics

the worst mistake is to camp as if the survivors do the gens rather than going for the hook then you are done for and you will have one killer

But, it feels good

• Taelance

@BillCosby said:

@Taelance said:

@BillCosby said:
    camp toxics

But, it feels good

he is asking for tips to be better this will make him lose

• BillCosby

@Taelance said:

@BillCosby said:

@Taelance said:

@BillCosby said:
    camp toxics

But, it feels good

Well, it depends on the situation though

• Taelance

@BillCosby said:

@Taelance said:

@BillCosby said:

@Taelance said:

@BillCosby said:
    camp toxics

But, it feels good

Well, it depends on the situation though

well If I was the other survivors I would do the gens and you will lose the game as the killer

• BillCosby

Crows can also be very helpful btw

• BillCosby

@iceman2kx said:
    Hey all,

Thank you!

Addressing your main problem, i'd suggest trying Ruin. This will stall generator repair greatly (if at least survivors don't spawn near the Hex totem). They'll then spend most of the time searching for the hex providing you more game time.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    One thing to help you get better is also to break chase with some survivors who are simply looping you to well. Even the best killers break chase if a player is to much trouble. There are also certain areas survivors will use that can net them an ungodly amount of time.

Some examples would be a window at a place in this concrete building called the groaning storehouse, the meat tree can be pretty bad if you see a survivor their and you can't get the pallet down early just move on finally the house at the red forest is a nightmare sometimes as their are so many windows to vault. Their is also what I consider to be an essential perk called bamboozle on the clown. It helps a lot in dealing with some of the obnoxious loops.

TLDR If a survivor is giving you too much trouble move on to a different one. Some spots in dbd waste too much time chasing so recognise them and either cut off the survivor or leave and hunt other prey. Best of luck buddy you already have a pretty solid set up I look forward to seeing you in the fog!
  • 245_Trioxin
    245_Trioxin Member Posts: 171

Regarding your issue with colors, if you play on PC and use an Nvidia card, maybe this would help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/7pekx9/psa_dead_by_daylight_is_getting_colorblind_mode/

• monkdee702
    monkdee702 Member Posts: 8

everything said here is all very very valid, another thing is make sure to turn up your sensitivity for those 360 bastards, when that happens remember to use the short swing to smack them, never chase someone for too long is something I took way too long to learn, and remember that especially if someone seems to just blantantly show themselves to you almost right away, that is usually the swf guy who is dedicated to looping the killer

• billythiccboi
    billythiccboi Member Posts: 2
    Try familirasing yourself wiv the maps and pallet locations, then learn fast and slow vaults timings that can get u free hits and finally try learn a top tier killer (these are my opinions I have 1000 hours been rank 1 and held it for miltipul seasons) nurse (its nurse there is no one better) billy (fast tons of pressure and instance down) clown (ppl say he's not top tier and is a bad huntress which I think he's better as he doesn't really on L.O.S which puts the huntress out of top tier). Hag is considered top tier which I disagree as she could do everything she can now before obvs she can do it faster now but I reckon it pushes her to about A-B tier. As stated before these are my opinions and you can disagree but I can hold rank 1 and have tons of experience in this game as mostly killer and these are my suggestions you should also get ruin its the best killer perk cur
  • azazer
    azazer Member Posts: 446
    If you have trouble following scratches, try spys from the shadows. The perk will give you audio and visual notification of survivors disturbing the birds. 
  • Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073
    Oh random note should you see some Object of Obsession users. Don't put too much effort into chasing them. OoO users have a complex 9 times out of 10 where if you ignore them for a prolonged period of time that they'll feel a need to run up to you and get you to notice them. They'll make mistakes and that'll be your time to attack.
  • No_Mither_No_Problem
    No_Mither_No_Problem Member Posts: 1,476

Tips for playing Killer:

Walk away now and save yourself a world of pain.

• akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123

level up billy, nurse, and leatherface. get bbq chili, nurses calling, and tinkerer then you can throw a 4th perk of your choice noed/ruin/ or an obsession perk. get a hook, see survivors, hit a survivor get to see them when healing, if they do a gen you get to see them again.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited August 2018

Stab the survivors. Stab them a lot.

Use Bloodhound (Wraith teachable) if you have trouble tracking people. Don't spend so much time chasing 1 person, if you see another during a long chase switching targets is usually a better option. If you have trouble stopping gens pick the 3 closest together and protect them more than the others. If you can get those 3 as your last gens then you have an advantage.

• YaNestea
    YaNestea Member Posts: 86
    You should also try playing survivor too, you could get a WHOLE new perspective on playing killer after because playing survivor really helps you play killer. Trust me, I’m a survivor main but I also play killer, survivors are very easy to understand if you play survivor. Let us know how you do <333
  • DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    edited August 2018
    BillCosby said:

camp toxics

I find it more efficient to tunnel them off the hook. They die a helluva lot faster.
  • Envees
    Envees Member Posts: 370

@No_Mither_No_Problem said:
    Tips for playing Killer:

Walk away now and save yourself a world of pain.

Nah, things are just getting interesting for killers. Survs can no longer get off more than one SB during a chase unless they are god like. But at that point most killers would have walked away if they cant find them after a min.

The fact that lots of survs are walking away from the game tells me something. I keep remembering a quote from a black character in The West Wing TV series. He said : Son, if they are shooting at you - you being a black person in the early 1970's protest movement - then you must be doing something right.

In this case i do think the game is headed in the right direction for killers. The fact that survs review bombed the game the day the patch came out tells me also that there are a lot of light saber squads upset that their weapons of choice are not as effective anymore. One perk to counter an item - and item, not another perk - and they are still bitching about it.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crgMmyoDzNQ
    Some basics for new killers

• iceman2kx

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've been listening to some of the advice in here and I have been doing much better.

I do have a question for the survivors here though. People have been giving me crap for "camping". Let me clarify what I do. After hooking my first survivor, I'll run to nearby generators and kick them and look for other survivors. By this time, the hooked survivors are usually unhooked and I'll rinse and repeat this until 2/4 of my survivors are dead. When there are two survivors remaining, I'll hook a survivor. I run BBQ and chili and whispers, so as soon as I hook, I can visually see there are no survivors outside the range not to show off their aura and no generators are being completed. I don't see the purpose of running off just so my survivor can get unhooked when I know one of the other survivors is just sneaking around waiting for me to run off so they can unhook, so I'll patrol this area. This usually results in the third survivors death.

People have told me I am toxic, I am bad, #########, etc. Is this really a bad habit for a killer and considered dishonorable or this just survivors being salty?

• iceman2kx

@Runiver said:

Thanks. As a new player, the red light is not something I really knew could be manipulated like that. This has been surprisingly extremely effective when dealing with obnoxious runners. I've noticed they will run straight into me sometimes! I love this tip.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095

@iceman2kx said:

@Runiver said:

Thanks. As a new player, the red light is not something I really knew could be manipulated like that. This has been surprisingly extremely effective when dealing with obnoxious runners. I've noticed they will run straight into me sometimes! I love this tip.

The red stain is VERY useful when it comes to mindgames and actually gets you a lot of extra hits that can just make the difference between a 30s and a 3mins chase, so yeah, it's quite helpful to know about.

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,216

@iceman2kx said:
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I've been listening to some of the advice in here and I have been doing much better.

I do have a question for the survivors here though. People have been giving me crap for "camping". Let me clarify what I do. After hooking my first survivor, I'll run to nearby generators and kick them and look for other survivors. By this time, the hooked survivors are usually unhooked and I'll rinse and repeat this until 2/4 of my survivors are dead. When there are two survivors remaining, I'll hook a survivor. I run BBQ and chili and whispers, so as soon as I hook, I can visually see there are no survivors outside the range not to show off their aura and no generators are being completed. I don't see the purpose of running off just so my survivor can get unhooked when I know one of the other survivors is just sneaking around waiting for me to run off so they can unhook, so I'll patrol this area. This usually results in the third survivors death.

People have told me I am toxic, I am bad, [BAD WORD], etc. Is this really a bad habit for a killer and considered dishonorable or this just survivors being salty?

Sounds more like salty survivors to me. I do pretty much the same thing.
    According to the really toxic survivor mains, if you exist, you're camping.

• Esheon
    Esheon Member Posts: 568
    One of the biggest things for me was to learn the absolute maximum range at which you can still hit someone  (just the tip!), both with and without lunging. Once you have that range burned into your brain, it's a lot easier to bait Dead Hard, compensate for 360ing survivors, hit them as they're vaulting a window, etc.

Learn how to use your red glow to fake them out at loops. Whichever way you're facing, you'll light up the ground and walls in front of you, and the survivors can see that. Walk backwards around a corner to hide the glow, then spin around and hit them.

As for camping... As long as you're not standing in front of the hook staring at their crotch, ignore the salt. If you're doing that, go hit someone instead.