What brought you to Dbd?

BenZ0
BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
edited December 2019 in General Discussions

Did you friend showed you Dbd or did you maybe just found it for your own? Did you try to find a nice competetive game or did you wanted to try out a new horror game and ended up here? Tell me your reasons and maybe a little story to it!

My story:

A old friend of mine told me about it when Dbd first beta gameplay got online. He told me like "Hey I saw a nice horror game where you are in a arena trying to run away from a killer". I wasnt that much interested because I though it sounds boring. I was playing world of warcraft as my main game there and when Dbd got released I bought it to play it with him, he was really hyped about that game but I wasnt honestly xD I just played and bought it to play with him. After a couple of hours (50 kind of) he was bored because he got frustrated dying so fast and he stopped playing it. I started to like dbd but I was playing wow at hardcore progress raiding so I didnt had the time to play dbd. I was playing it really casually, even I was playing dbd at launch I dont have any legacy (rip me, I am so dumb and I hate myself for that). At clown chapter I started played dbd as my main game and ended up with 2.8k hours into it. I am addicted! :D

Post edited by BenZ0 on

Comments

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Back when I had mates who were really into playing together in large parties, especially with Overwatch, we were all looking into possibly either DbD or Friday the 13th. Naturally, with there being 6-8 of us at any one given time, we chose Friday. We chose poorly.

Later on as we all started playing different games, some of us looked into DbD. Half of us only played for a little bit, while I stayed with it and another 2 of us play it occasionally.

I've been playing since Darkness Among Us, and it has it's moments still. Might play some other games for a while, leaving DbD for a bit, coming back and binge playing matches in other times. At least Archives now gives me something to work on, now that I have an established playstyle.

• Helevetin_nopee
    Helevetin_nopee Member Posts: 408

My old friends told me about the game back when it was one of the free games of the month on Ps+, and I'm glad they did.

• DeKillerKiller
    DeKillerKiller Member Posts: 547

A couple of friends of mine asked me to play.

I've personally owned the game for a while before then, but I was never really interested in playing it until they invited me to play. That's it really.

• antgnstea
    antgnstea Member Posts: 869

I was browsing steam discovery queue. Seemed so different and exciting. But because I hate multiplayer games in general and kind of coward towards scary games. I couldn't even finish SOMA, that's how much I scare. So i wishlisted it. After couple of months later, they did a free weekend. So i thought I could give it a shot. And here I am, pretty much addicted to the game.

• PistolTimb
    PistolTimb Member Posts: 1,413

I got Friday the 13th during a Halloween sale and I was in love. Then I started watching YouTube videos about it, and eventually I was recommended DBD stuff. It seemed really interesting, but I held off buying it until a Christmas sale made them cost just 5 dollars. The rest is history.

• BenZ0

@PigMainClaudette

I had something simiular to world of warcraft, sometimes friend grps split up but atleast for me I found a new friend grp with dbd!

• xChrisx
    xChrisx Member Posts: 917

Saw it on twitch from a streamer

• BenZ0

@DeKillerKiller

I know that feeling, I had witcher 3 for over a year in my steam library and I never touched it until I had no internet for 2 months when I switched my provider, I had nothing else to play xD. Now I think that witcher 3 is the best singleplayer game that ever exists and I hate myself for not playing it until then xD.

• BenZ0

@antgnstea

Haha nice :D I love soma, its such a beautiful game! To bad the company is really slow making new games.

• DeKillerKiller

To be honest, I think the same friends who got me into DBD is now sick of DBD because of how obsessed I am with it. :P

• antgnstea
    antgnstea Member Posts: 869

Yeah I've loved it too. But that blind beast creeps me out so much. And it is everywhere. :)

• kcwolf1975
    kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 651

Downloaded it on ps4 for my nephew during a free weekend preview and slowly got hooked. Playing all the time now, only games that have managed to temporarily pull me off have been RE2 and GOW.

• rch614
    rch614 Member Posts: 551

My best friend ended up getting me into this game over 2 years ago. We played other games like WoW and OW but every so often she'd go off on her own to play DBD and Steam broadcast it for me to watch her play.

At first I didn't think it was my type of game because I'm not that into PvP in general. I bought it and tried to play it on my old PC, but it couldn't handle it so I refunded DBD. I rebought it when I bought a gaming laptop and stuck with it ever since. My best friend and I still play it alot; it truly is a unique game and ended up being a cornerstone of our friendship. And I thank the devs for that.

We'll ignore the fact that I've spent over $500 on DLC and cosmetics between me and my friend for these devs :P

• toxicmegg
    toxicmegg Member Posts: 662

my friend showed me the game. he was literally just testing it out and then deleted it later, but it caught my interest so i bought it and got addicted lol

• BenZ0

@antgnstea

Yeah especially those choke sounds xD I still know them well, it was really creepy

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

Horror Hide & Seek. It's not, but still fun.

• Spooky13
    Spooky13 Member Posts: 1,471

Got it for Christmas 2017. Basically my parents gave me one of those Christmas catalogues, and flipping through it I saw DBD in the video game section. I remembered seeing some gameplay from when it was very new and decided "Hey, why not, sure, I'll take that one." Didn't end up playing it until January because I was playing ARK, which I also got for Christmas that year. I know for my first game I played Doctor on an Autohaven map, I think Gas Heaven, because I remember a maze of cars. Thought his power was like a minefield, so I just went around zapping whenever I pleased. Don't remember getting into a single chase lol

• MysticAdvisor
    MysticAdvisor Member Posts: 453

I was watching YouTube one day 3-4 years ago and ohmwrecker and delirious were playing this game.

That is how I joined Dbd.

• ruler33
    ruler33 Member Posts: 244

i just got it for free on the ps plus but at the time i didn't play it since I was really into siege started playing it after i got annoyed with siege like almost two years ago and im still playing it today.

• Jasonsfar
    Jasonsfar Member Posts: 69

Michael Myers

• Polychrome_Baku
    Polychrome_Baku Member Posts: 404

This is the only asymmetrical game worth playing. Despite the fact that the community doesn't seem to known what that word means.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,921

A friend found this game and I was watching a Let's Play back in the day. He asked me if I would buy it because then he would buy it also. 3 years later I still play the game and he hates it like hell. He said he did regret buying it.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

I got into it throught a group of streamers, that streamed it and posted videos about it. At the beginning of DbD, Overwatch was my main game, but i got bored from bad balancing decisions by Blizzard and changed to DbD completely. Yes BHVRs balancing is way better than Blizzards imo.

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520

I have first hear of dbd in old lets plays of Gronkh&Pandorya. 2 german lets players.

I was interested after a while in the game and have search if there is a killer that could interest me.

I was not sure if that is true, because they stopped playing dbd after... I believe Freddy? and so I didn't know every killer that was released to the time I got interested in dbd.

Luckily I found then the Legion dlc in the steam store and the official trailervideos of the Legion on steam and youtube and so I have bought dbd then.

TL:DR I had watch a month or so dbd videos and search on steam for a fitting killer for me, before I bought the game :).

• PyroGL
    PyroGL Member Posts: 239

The death of Evolve brought me to playing DBD.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

Ohmwrecker got me into the game as well. It’s not a game I’d typically play since I’m a big chicken, but just hearing him plead “Michael, No!, No Michael! Michael, leave me alone” made me laugh and get more interested into the game. I don’t even know how the video got into my YouTube feed. It’s not like I was watching any horror related games. Most of my YouTube watching consists of people rescuing abandoned or hurt pets, funny cat videos, movie trailers, some anime clips and some cooking stuff.

It really is a fun game. The devs need to go full force on working out all the kinks with dedicated servers, and then they need to actually advertise to get more players.

• Was watching couple of streamers,TrikSlyr and Selenityy.Thats how i discovered this game.

• TheCrookedMan
    TheCrookedMan Member Posts: 282
    edited December 2019

YouTube. HybridPanda specifically.

• Exxodus21
    Exxodus21 Member Posts: 1,170

Achievement Hunter/Let's Play on YouTube doing a let's play of it. It looked like so much fun I had to try it for myself.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,883

Friends who were playing it and told me Michael Myers was in it.

• HarryToeknuckles
    HarryToeknuckles Member Posts: 158

Probably the fact that I could play as Leatherface and Myers, even though I mostly play survivor.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,939

well a free weekend decided to buy it after also monto because he made dbd look like a entertaining game to play

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,549

Achievement Hunter for me. Seemed like a great game to play with friends more than anything. Which is humorous because the only one I can get to play with me on a regular basis is my wife, despite having plenty of friends who own the game so...

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Bought Xbox One X for my son cause he (and I) wanted to play RDR 2 but we both got tired of that game pretty fast and he only uses his PS4 now, so I did not want to throw away all that money so bought a month game pass and found DBD a couple of months ago.

Never heard of the game before but I'm not much of a gamer these days. But even if I think the game is good not great it's still very addictive so I have already unlocked almost every perk in the game and probably played 5-6 hours a day since I got it.

• MedicSpirit7
    MedicSpirit7 Member Posts: 689

Got it during PS4 free week but I had been wanting it forever

• BenZ0

@Talmeer

Oof Gronkh, old times xD I watched him when I was young but he boring for me now tbh.

• DeKillerKiller

Wow, talk about the chance of that happening. You got pretty lucky there Almo.

• FluorescentLemon
    FluorescentLemon Member Posts: 257

It was free on PS+ so I had nothing to lose by trying it out. Had a blast and bought all the licensed DLC and a couple of the OC packs too.

You could say I've been hooked ever since.

• MysticAdvisor
    MysticAdvisor Member Posts: 453

I wish I could help work on it buuuuuuut I’m 17 so lol.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,519

No, that's not published by Starbreeze (and wasn't even a thing at the time). This was prior to 10 Chambers being created.

• DeKillerKiller

Ah, shame. Would've thought the development of GTFO would be farther than 10 Chambers' creation considering how good and polished it looks (got to play the Early Access and planning to get the game on day one)

Still though, what you said got me interested about the upcoming multiplayer horror game. Hopefully it wasn't Overkill's The Walking Dead or anything.

• Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288
    edited December 2019

an Italian forum had a thread talking about this game in alpha stage, to concept seemed very interesting but since I didn’t have a pc able to make any game work I just forgot about it.

then it was gifted to PS+ subscribers and from there on I fell in love with it.

eventually I burnt out due to the Chinese New Year event and stopped playing until plague and Ghostface were released - the game seemed in a much better state and here I am :)

• Stagnance
    Stagnance Member Posts: 11

I was aware it existed and had followed other 4 v 1 games before. It was going to be a choice between DbD and Friday the 13th since our youngest daughter is also into video games as well as the horror genre, so I figured it was something we could play together.

Since then I've even gotten my wife into playing it and we play together on 2 playstation's in our house.

• FastestVirginia
    FastestVirginia Member Posts: 68

My brother invited me one year ago to play with his friends who played before me for a while. We played for about a month together but they stopped so i stayed alone not knowing if i want to play by myself so i stopped aswell. A couple of weeks watching content from noob3, monto and other big streamers brought me back into the game and now i have nearly 700hrs in. I would highly recommend you to watch zubatLel, brother cope and ralph, they are one of the most talented killers/survivors i've seen.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059
    edited December 2019

I saw that it was free for Ps plus and I saw a few vids on it so I decided to give it a shot. And now it's my favorite game to play and the community is so much fun, at least when we aren't making a complete ass of ourselves. 😅