Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Body Blocking Survivor Help

Options

Hello DBD Community,

I need some advice on playing killer. How would you counter this? After downing a survivor and they are picked up, the other 3 Survivors body block to the hook? While carrying the survivor, I try to swing at them. However, even after hit or missed swings the survivor on my shoulder still gets free. I tried dropping the survivor and chasing the others away, but I could not commit to a chase since as soon as I left the down survivor to chase one, the other two would immediately go to heal the downed survivor. This same scenario played out a few times and I don’t know how else to counter it.

Answers

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

If you are really, really having trouble with it, you can use mad grit (it's one of legion's teachables), agitation (trapper's teachable) or iron grasp but I don't think it's necessary.

Usually survivors will try to bait hits to make you miss. Only try to hit if you are really close to them. since you can't lunge while carrying, your hit distance is pretty short.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited December 2019
    Options

The perk Mad Grit (teachable perk of The Legion) was designed to be a direct counter to this kind of situation. Not only do you suffer no cooldown on missed attacks, but any successful hits will pause the wiggle timer so bodyblocking isn't effective at all in helping the survivor to wiggle off. Using Mad Grit, the only thing bodyblocking will do is get more survivors injured.

If you don't have access to Mad Grit, you can also try running the Iron Will/Agitation combo and just go to a different hook if you notice that survivors are trying to bodyblock the one nearest to you. They can't catch up to you if you have Agitation, so unless they have a head start you should reach the hook before they can get into bodyblocking formation. You could also run Sloppy Butcher so that getting hit will be more punishing for any survivors that do get in your way.

If all else fails, the best you can do is try to get hits on them so that they're vulnerable for next time and/or have to waste time healing, and comfort yourself in the knowledge that at least if they're doing this, no one is working on generators.

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,547
    Options

In addition to what arslaN said, in most maps, you will have two options for hooks minimum when you pick someone up. If you’re being blocked in a way you can’t reach your first choice, go to the other one. The basement is easy to block compared to most hooks, so if you know you’re against a team that’s bodyblocking, don’t try for the basement if you down someone near it.

another option is to look down at your downed survivor for a moment as if you were prepping to pick them up, then scout and smack the intended bodyblocker as they run in. It’s a simple mindgame that works well against the average player. Also works with flashlight savers.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984
    Options

In a lot of scenarios if the survivors try to body block you to the hook and you realise this early enough, your best bet is to drop the person on your shoulder and go after the bodyblockers. It's quite likely that they will be in an unsafe position where you should be able to hit them relatively easy. Try to down one of them, which will split their attention between two people that you now have on the ground.

If it's in an end game scenario and you don't have the option to drop a survivor, a good idea is to choose your pathing strategically. Fake going towards the closest hook and then turn around and start heading to a different one (make sure it's not too far). A lot of the time the other survivors wont expect it and will struggle to catch up to you

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    Options

@TheWestFringe

As much as people are saying to use Mad Grit, Iron Grasp, and Agitation... you don't need these to handle this issue.

For one, this happens to me a lot and I rarely get wiggled out because of it. The idea is to simply focus on walking to the hook and than hit the Survivors while you're holding the downed Survivor... than afterwards you look for an opening while mashing space to hook the Survivor.

Sometimes, every Survivor will body-block to save the downed Survivor... but tbh, this just wastes everyones time saving that Survivor AND gets them all injured. If by chance they wiggle off after you hit every single Survivor, than simply just re-chase another injured Survivor and than down and hook them.

I don't personally know why Survivors do this, it mostly just injures their entire team and keeps them off generators while also healing each other to recover from that giant waste of time...

the bottom line is...

Don't be discouraged by a Survivor wiggling off your arm, if it took the entire team to take hits for that one person... than you can easily down someone else out of the 4 Injured Survivors and just hook them instead.

You don't need to crutch on perks like Mad Grit, Iron Grasp, or Agitation to counter this issue... you just need to be determined and know where to go with a downed Survivor to avoid this issue. Not every team is going to line up and take hits for this one Survivor, so this issue shouldn't be impacting you.

It's nice and all to have a counter to this in perk form, but it's in my opinion a waste of a perk slot. You just need to focus on getting to the hook, hitting any Survivors under said hook, than look for an opening to hook them by pressing space, if there's none than in that moment hit another Survivor to find another opening.

The hitbox for hooking Survivors is not that big, but because it requires the entire body of the Survivor to block... it's very easy to find an opening mid-hit, mainly because another Survivor has to line up or block the right spots to avoid that Survivor from being hooked.

Trust me, I hardly have an issue with this problem because of this... it really isn't that hard when you start to understand the mechanics.

• Fibijean
    Options

It shouldn't happen that often that all three survivors cooperate to bodyblock, but apparently it was in OP's case. As good as it is to just be able to power through (or drop the carried survivor, as someone else suggested), they apparently tried doing both of those things already and it wasn't working out for them.

• FireHazard
    Options

I don't see how they can't, it isn't really... that hard to overcome.

Using a perk to fix a problem will only make you crutch on said perk, that's why I suggest he still power through and overcome this, rather than band-aiding the problem with something he'll become dependent on.

I'm not being mean to him, I'm just suggesting that he not go the old "use a perk to fix the issue" route and instead try to overcome this obstacle with trial and error.

This issue rarely even happens, and its even more rare for the entire team to come line up for hits... usually 1 or 2 Survivors do this and that's it, and unless you came from a far off area than you should 100% be able to hit them both and hook that Survivor.

If the entire team wants to line up and go into the injured state than let em, it'll just make it easier to down them and you'll most likely get another down if it's mid to end game... mainly because most of the loops are probably destroyed and turned into dead zones.

His issue isn't very common and isn't really that hard to fix with trial and error, i'm sure if he keeps at it that he'll figure out how the hook hitboxes work.

• Fibijean
    Options

I never suggested you were being mean. I was just pointing out that, as unbelievable as it may seem, apparently bodyblocking is a problem for them in spite of all their efforts to circumvent it normally. That's why, even though it's true that ideally one shouldn't rely on perks to counter certain tactics, I recommended perks as a last-resort type of thing because it seemed nothing else was working.

• FireHazard
    edited December 2019
    Options

I never was implying that you said I was being mean to them, i'm just speaking in-general. I don't know why people just automatically assume that when I say something they didn't bring up... but it doesn't really matter.

Anyways, I don't see eye to eye with you on this one. I personally don't suggest he use perks as a last resort, as he'll grow dependent on them like so many have before with other issues. For example, someone who uses NOED frequently to get any progress done in-game (aka down Survivors) will most likely not break away from the perk because of this dependency they've developed with the perk...

As such, no growth is made and they never stop using the perk as a result. They may develop over-time despite using the perk to mainly down people, but they'll usually use that perk for a lot of their Killers... despite not needing it anymore if they've gotten better at the game. This could be because the perk is just strong or they prefer using that perk to counter this issue... despite figuring out how to circumvent it with a less "easy" strategy.

What i'm getting at is, if he relies on say... Mad Grit to counter this issue, than he'll take a longer time to move past it as a result... mainly because he will grow used to the modified swing speed when holding Survivors RATHER than knowing the base-kit swings and cool-down from personal experience.

Basically

He'll never know what it's like to play without this perk... because he'll never attempt to play outside of the modified version. It's like if you came across a Billy who only uses insta-chainsaw add-ons and never played without it... if you take that away than he'll have a really hard time adjusting back to the base-kit.

My argument is that he'll have an even harder time adjusting back to base-kit if he crutches on these perks as a way out of his problem... which is why I don't suggest this and this is why I advice him not to do it.

But its his Killer, he can do as he pleases of course... despite my warnings.

• Fibijean
    Options

I understand your argument, I just think that an imperfect solution is better than no solution. Regardless, this isn't about us, and OP has received several valid answers to his question already, so whether or not the two of us see eye-to-eye at this point doesn't really matter 🤷