4 Chapters a year hurts the game

Options

I want to make an argument for 2 Chapters a year.

The problem i see with 4 chapters a year is that the chapters create problems faster than problems get fixed. The known issue section of the patch notes is preaty much an admition "We know these problems are there but we didn´t have the time to fix them before release.". If we ever get a new killer that needs as much change as legion or freddy were screwed.

It´s also old content that stays behind.

After the doctor killer letherface will be changed in some way then there is probably clown and maybe trapper. then there a map reworks, perks like slipery meat and monsterus shrine and bug fixes. then theres hillbilly, letherface, huntress which need there addon adjusted to the rarety formular.

These are a lot of things that wait to get done to be squeezed between chapters who can create more problems.

I know at some point behaviar said that the wouldn´t skip a chapter to work on old stuff which disapointes me a bit but were got 20 survivors, 18 killers, over 4 pages of perks and a ton of maps, i think going down to 2 chapters per year for the health of the game would be resonable

Comments

• DWolfAlpha
    DWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927
    Options

I don't mind 4 chapters, but I don't think every chapter needs to have new characters added. Like, make every other chapter about existing characters, complete with new maps, or new layouts of existing locations. Like, a map of Claudette's school or something. The surrounding area of where Legion committed their "I know what you did last summer" esque crime. The area with the tree Kate wrote her music under.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

That sounds like a good idea. More Lore and maps isnt't flooding the grind, but still gives a fresh breeze to the game. Just wondering how much people would pay or how much they expect for a DLC that just contains a map, while maps so far are free for all when the DLC is out. Still would like to see that

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250
    Options

I would also like to see less chapters and more work on new mechanics, maps,perk changes, and killer changes. Not that I don't enjoy the chapters, but @arslaN is right. The game feels too bloated right now. Too many useless perks no one ever uses, too many killers with similar powers, or killers that are forgotten about because they are simply outshined by stronger more viable options.

However at this point I feel like a DBD 2 would be in order instead of overhauling the game as it is now. Maybe that is in the grand plan somewhere ^^

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

60 survivor perks out of 74 are teachables. For killers it's 54 out of 66. Insane grind for bloodpoints. Game-breaking bugs that randomly appear after a PTB, when they weren't in the PTB. Unbalanced gameplay. I agree, there should be a lot on the priority list before bhvr even thinks about new content.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

I would also prefer some lighter chapters or some more time between them

Didn't they say somewhere that it takes 4-5 months to design a killer? Yet they release a new one every 3 months

• DWolfAlpha
    DWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927
    Options

Yeah, I didn't mean dlc maps. Maps behind a paywall don't really work for dbd. But if they want monetized content for the chapter, they could easily release some new cosmetics for the highlighted characters.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,030
    Options

While you can make arguments that the devs need to put more resources into bug fixes, suggesting that they cut down on what brings in money (the thing they use to hire the programmers doing the bugfixes) isnt the answer. The more money the devs can make from chapters, the more people they can pay to throw at these problems. Chapters that are ONLY maps would be free DLC and wouldnt be helpful in the least towards fixing anything.

• Shirokuro
    Shirokuro Member Posts: 182
    Options

Probably because they're designing more than one killer at the same time.

• altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141
    Options

What does Behaviour care about more?

Your money, or your opinions?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    Options

Also, it wouldn't hurt slowing down on chapters to spare memory space on our drives. Like right now the game takes 30GB. Just a year ago, it took only 15GB. At this rate, in 2 years Dbd is gonna take as much as space as most AAA games nowadays ...

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 866
    edited December 2019
    Options

I enjoy the 4 chapters a year. It keeps the game fresh for me and as long as they keep balancing the game in the mid chapters, I don't see too much problems.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
    Options

I would be wholly on board for only 2 chapters a year as it would let the new content "sink in" longer and allow BHVR to make better informed decisions towards balance and changes. While these "paragraphs" could still be sprinkled in anytime BHVR manages to snipe a deal or wishes a fun surprise.

At the end of the day I am glad that they are finally taking a break from events to focus on fixes but I really wish they would take more time to REALLY fine toon things before release. BHVR has a questionable track record when it comes to bug/breaking things each major release/update. I don't know the inner workings and have never done coding myself so I cannot speak to the complexities they face but I think the majority of players want the game to fix its foundations so as to realize its full potential.

I may have a love/hate relationship with the game and some of the directions its gone in the past but I'm not about to quit outright. This is a journey I still wish to see to its end.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

I'd be on board for this but I also know it would not happen. At the end of the day money is the primary goal. Although that isn't good because the game is starting to feel extremely bloated due to the amount of killers and survivors we have now.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117
    edited December 2019
    Options

They probably should stop doing 4 killers/survivors each year, cause there is already more than enough variety. Just start balancing the game and fixing your issues theyve ignored for years now. The next chapters just need balancing and fixing until the game is mostly free of bugs and gameplay issues.If they would be doing right, they would change their roadmap now instead of forcing through it.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328
    Options

This. I have the same feeling. It's slowly getting to much, one more year of 4 chapters and this game is overloaded. They really need to reduce this huge amount of DLC dropping, they should focus on new maps, rework maps, rework useless/to weak perks and finally introduce some new game modes.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,639
    Options

4 Chapters = $$$

Easy as that.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,542
    Options

Amen. We don't need new content right now. We need current content that is well-balanced and actually works.

Plus Just adding more perks to the ridiculous grind drives me nuts too.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

I think their main income might be the cosmetics, although I would like to see the numbers. Sure the DLCs boost it, but for the duration of 3 months I still think cosmetics are quite common. Everytime there are new cosmetics, I see them pretty often in my lobbies.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Options

I'm thinking maybe the rifts premium pass is a way of sustaining monies whilst fixing the game and adding free content such as new game modes and even more game modes.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,639
    Options

I dont think so. I mean, new content is great. But the game is in need for some improvements, I would totally fine with having only 2 Chapters each year, when the other two spots are used for overall improvements.

And I am playing on PC, which is still the best, when I see what happens on Console (performance-wise for example).

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    Options

I thought the same thing with the cosmetics but that didn't happen.

• FruityMemes
    FruityMemes Member Posts: 55
    Options

Facts the game the new killers already feel a bit forced at times and with all the useless perks we already have they should be either reworking perks or leaving them alone and fixing broken game mechanics