The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Delete Ruin from lower ranks

omg, as a solo survivor it's impossible to win a game with every match having Ruin on. This perk is absolute OP in the lower ranks. I'm in the ranks between 12-15 and every survivor struggles how to handle this perk + the survivors on this rank are too scared to look for the totem. for the killler this perk is = easy win in my ranks. pls delete this perk in the lower ranks or nerf it. it makes the game very unfun

Comments

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

Exterminate Unbreakable!

Delete Ruin!

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

ruin should be nerfed and the game should have extra objectives for survivors, like finding and bringing a gas can to a generator before you can start reparing it, that would, I think improve things.

Sadly the devs of this game arnt really down with the whole.... just doing it, throwing into a ptb and seeing what the community thinks type of approach

(also when do the devs just give us a dedicateds PTB download instead of having to download over the original game the entire time >:L)

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

ok and how did that event prove that it won't work exactly?

I was there, I did flowers, it took time, you could ignore flowers though, if you need gas cannisters to fix a generator you cant ignore it, buying the killer more time and demanding of survivors that they explore the map a bit.

But yeah, explain your convictions.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303
  • Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

I think the best option is limiting the tier of perks at lower ranks. If you delete ruin, then nobody learns how to deal with it. If you only allow tier 1 perks at rank 20, and tier 2 perks at ranks 16-19, you mitigate the damage, while still learning to deal with it. Even if you have a perk at T3, it only works to T1/T2 based on rank.

When you get these killers/survivors with full tier 3 perks at rank 20 who go on to destroy all in their way, that is not healthy for the game.

• Warlock_2020

If you have not learned how to pressure the map vs toolbox-wielding SWFs by red ranks, you don't belong there. Keys are the only thing I get concerned about at Reds. I'll load Franklin's and hit ready.

• theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998

So only have 2 survivors have their progress regressed?

How does that help?

Survivors need to learn to look for the totem or just hit skillcheck. Simple as that.

• CakeDuty
    CakeDuty Member Posts: 995

There were two issues with the Hallowed Blight event.

1. A lot of survivors got their vial filled and killed themselves on hook, cause they wanted it done asap
    2. It was a great help for M1 killers, but then there were Hillbilly and Nurse, who already were strong without secondary objectives, it buffed them to be incredibly strong. With the plants and Ruin they were almost impossible to beat.

I'm all for a secondary objective, but it'll be hard to balance, cause while it'd be nice buffs to M1 killers, it'd also be a buff to the already strong killers.

• BeanieBoyBob
    BeanieBoyBob Member Posts: 354
  • FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250

The thing about Ruin is that it is only really effective at lower ranks. At high ranks its blown in the first 2 min, and Survivors know how to work through it.

It is a good tool for new killers to help them get a flow for the game since time managment is a huge part of playing killer.

It is also a good learning tool for survivors since you need to learn totem placement, how to hit great skill checks, and also time managment and prioritizing tasks.

Why learn tho when you can just delete a pesky perk eh? ;)

• Nutty_Professor
    Nutty_Professor Member Posts: 621

Or if you don't want to deal with low ranks, could always rank up. Rank 5 and 6 are great ranks to be (unfortunately I'm always stuck at 1).

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

It didn't work because secondary objective and second objective are two completely different things.

Exit Gates are a second objective, you must open the Exit Gates to escape.

Totems are a secondary objective, it's optional for you to do.

The plants were just a secondary objective, not a second objective. 😁🤗

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I mean, if we make NOED basekit, totems become a second objective 😂

• Warlock_2020

That's not how Ruin works anymore. All survivors are affected, but to a lesser degree. I believe it is 2% instead of 4%. You are thinking of how Tier 1 used to work.

• Warlock_2020

Not sure what you are referring to. Aside from a SECONDARY and SECOND Objective being two different things, the Hallowed Blight showed that survivors will go out of their way for a SECONDARY objective that was worth lots of BP. I remember some of us posting about how killers were going to rank up too fast into Red Ranks due to the amount of 4k's. Survivors did not give a rats arse about gens and hit Putrid sources asap. Killers were getting easy 4k matches with no gens done, yet survivors were still raking in 30k in a match.

That proved that survivors will go for secondary objectives if there is enough BP involved. I've noticed totems are hit more often now that they are worth 1k as opposed to 600. It is all about the BP. The grind is real, and secondary goals with good BP rewards will lure survivors off of gens. It has to be worth more than escape though. That is the issue.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

Not true, because I can still avoid the killer while I escape. There have been plenty of games where I haven't been hooked, but ultimately, if NOED becomes basekit for killers, it's up to the individual survivor to make the choice to cleanse the totems if they don't feel confident. 👉👉

• SambaSaw
    SambaSaw Member Posts: 137

Ruin is completely fine. In your ranks killers aren't as good either so you can take your time doing a gen or you can stop being scared and look for totem. That's how you'll learn how to play.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Low ranks is purgatory for the survivors that can't find totems or hit skill checks. Ruin needs a rework imo, rn it is too discouraging for newer survivors to face but at least newer killers can adapt comfortably (albeit extremely slowly and unhealthily).

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

It sux to bring ruin in low ranks. But it is the only way to practice it is to play it.

You will get better just keep pushing through it.

It really hurts the killer more at those ranks in the long run. Because they learn to play with ruin and when they rank up and play survivors that will just hit greats then they get destroyed and cry about gen speeds.

• bumbewildered
    bumbewildered Member Posts: 16

Low ranks is the only place ruin works effectively. The perk becomes useless or relatively useless when you rank up. No need for any adjustments. It's a skill based perk and teaches people how to work through it.

• SaintsxSinners
    SaintsxSinners Member Posts: 52

You're going to have to deal with it at some point so just learn to power through it or hit the skill checks. Sounds douchey but that's honestly the solution.

• Morgeese
    Morgeese Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2019

Run small game. Ever since i started running it i get ruin out of the game pretty quickly. To be fair tho low rank survivors have no clue what ruin is or how to get rid of it and i can understand how painful those matches would be but ur just gonna have to grind through it to a better rank.

• Elegant
    Elegant Member Posts: 443

Why would they turn off a perk because players are bad? People can't get better if they don't face things like ruin

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,043

Two things:

First of all, how should players learn how to play around Ruin? I remember when I was new, once I saw that the Killer has Ruin, I ignored every Gen and was only looking for the Totem. Really bad. But the more I played vs Ruin, the more I ignored it.

Second, people might have paid for Ruin/the Hag-DLC. You cannot disable something which people have paid for, only because they are in low Ranks. If you are new to the game, like it and want to buy a few DLCs, but end up with Content you cannot use until you are at a specific Rank, you will most likely get frustrated.

• iamscumqueen101
    iamscumqueen101 Member Posts: 101

I'm in the those ranks right now solo and nobody has a problem with ruin in my games you just aren't playing well if you can't handle a perk that really isn't even that good it's just used by many doesn't mean it's good when you can literally spawn on it and 90% of the time it spawns in obvious spots.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,283

Feel like theres afew obvious flaws with this idea. If you take away ruin for ranks 12 and up or WHATEVER ranks you think is unfair...those ppl will just be SCREWED when they hit rank 11 and have NEVER dealt with it before. Also... how would you negate it for those ranks anyway when you can have such a high difference in player rank in the same lobby? Just had a game where a rank 2 brought in 2 rank 16 friends.

• MarsAttacks
    MarsAttacks Member Posts: 179
    edited December 2019

Lol pressure the map. There is no such thing as map pressure, ESPECIALLY on big maps.

You can only ever be chasing ONE survivor if you're chasing a survivor theres three other ones doing gens, if you abandon chase to "pressure" the map you first have to know which gen they are at and hope you've come at them from an angle that they don't see you and you can get a hit in. Mean while the person you have abandoned if they are ANY good at all will IMMEDIATELY be on a gen repairing.

So as I said there is no such thing as map pressure.

Saying pressure the map is like saying chase all four survivors at the same time.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

My best advise is learn the maps and the totem locations.

Nowadays I just cleanse ruin if I am in a solo match. Why? Because I don't trust my teammates will touch a gen otherwise. This is in red ranks, so it's not just happening in lower ranks.

• Warlock_2020

You lack map awareness. If you are chasing one survivor for too long, you are losing map pressure. Never be afraid to dip out near a gen being worked on, or when survivor breaks line of sight. Slug a survivor that is near a gen that is close to being done. Move to that gen, kick it, pursue the survivor working on it. Now you have 3 survivors off gens. One laying on the ground, one moving to heal them, one being chased.

Map pressure is real. You have to pick your area of the map, you can't defend big ones with low movement killers. With Trapper, I isolate an area of the map that has 4-5 gens. I trap the tar out of it and keep pressure up. 90% of the time, it works out with a 3-4k. That 10%, when you get a really good group, likely SWF, you get owned. It happens. I can honestly say I probably hung on too long on some chases during those matches, or did not get creative with trap placement.

It happens.

• MarsAttacks

See I'm the opposite, in red ranks I just do gens because they will either so them with me or spend half the match looking for the totem. Besides after a while of going against ruin you get pretty good at hitting great skill checks so the perk is pretty much useless against any competent survivors

• MarsAttacks
    edited December 2019

Yeah no, relying on them to run you to a gen is not map pressure, that's called being lucky, and if you're lucky they'll be ballsy and stay on the gen, so then YES you can go for hit. But if they're smart they'll abandon ship a move to a different gen away from the chase. Unless of course it's almost done.

I already addressed your "abandon chase" comment which you clearly ignored, im quite aware that the longer a chase goes the worse things are for you. That doesn't make my statement any less true.

Consider me a skeptic but I highly doubt your 3k-4king 90% of your matches as trapper especially against teams with ANY level of competency in the game

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

@MarsAttacks

I don't wanna toot my own horn, but I am pretty proficient in finding ruin right away 95% of my matches. Mostly due to playing killer alot and learning ruin spawn locations, there is a reason my friends call me a Hex Hunter. xD

I just go ahead and get it out of the way. Of course if it is one of those cases where it's just hidden really well I will give up on it. It just seems like many players just aren't good with Ruin and they feel as though they need to just give up because they are only giving their position away because often take too long that the killer will find them or they will miss a skill check entirely.

So for me, it's sort of a gray area. If you are really good at hiding but you can cleanse a couple of totems (at least in the beginning) I'm fine with that. Just do something. This way if they are not good at running the killer than at least they aren't getting in the way of the other players who are actually better having to save them off the hook, constantly.

• Warlock_2020

LoL, I'm hearing lots of excuses and short comings, but no real tangible arguments here. If you struggle to pressure the map, you are not doing it right. Too many try to pressure the whole map and that is why they fail. If you can't figure out how to properly peel off of a chase at an opportune time, then I'd recommend watching more high tier killers. That's how I learned it.

I guess this can be chalked up to a difference of opinion. You keep denying map pressure exists, I'll keep pressuring maps with my low tier killer. lol

• mmorrow8
    mmorrow8 Member Posts: 59

I handle ruin extremely well and whenever I play solo I never have a problem. If I'm having an off day I'll just work on being a distraction instead so those who can handle ruin atm can do it. By being a distraction I normally am able to find ruin and eventually come back to it. I also happen to know basically every totem spawn so ruin is kinda useless against me.

• MarsAttacks

Well I mean the vast majority of totem spawns are trash to begin with, the amount of times I've had a totem spawns next to a survivor across the map is absurd.

Or next to a generator, or literally out in the middle of the map lol.

It's why I hate hex perks because it's not even high risk high reward for most of them, it's high risk EXTEMELY LOW reward for them lol. Third seal is barely useful because of swf teams, ruin past a certain rank is a non issue same for lullaby, devour would be good if it didn't take 3 hooks to actually get you to the point that it's worth while to run, I RARELY get devour past 2 tokens before it's broken so to me hex perks are probably the worst perks to run as killer. To high risk for too little reward vast majority of the time.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367

Map works too

At op

No. Because then they'll never learn to deal with it

• MarsAttacks

Lol dude I'm rank 2 killer pretty sure I know when and where to peel off. indesputable fact you can NOT chase more than one survivor at any given time, you can split off and change targets but that is not chasing two people nore is it "pressure" you're changing one target for another. That is a FACT not an opinion. You can never be at more than ONE generator at ANY given time, that's is a FACT not an opinion, now if you force a 3 gen then you might be able to bounce around fast enough to MITIGATE progress. But you're still only ever at one generator at any given time. Furthermore there are maps where unless you run one of a few specific killers you basically have to give up at least one gen unless you want to spend an absurd amount of time on a god loop, that is a FACT not an opinion.

In short no, this is not a difference of opinion what I have stated is simply a fact, map pressure does not exist.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

This wouldn't help.

• MarsAttacks

Is it though, I mean. Lets be honest the game isnt exactly deep in it's skill skill cap. I feel any player that pays enough attention can get to a "high level" of play, especially as survivor, in a couple days of playing and if they watch a couple yt videos on how to run loops.

This game has one of the highest transferable video to in-game skill conversions because as long as you know where to run and what loops are strong/safe the only thing left is getting the timing of skill checks down for greats and understanding the little quirks of the killers. But most of the skill involved is in the chase and has little difference fr killer to killer. There's only a couple killers that really even affect the chase game at all.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Hex_KillerMainBTW Member Posts: 449

So, you want ruin deleted from lower ranks...because? You do realize even IF the devs did do that, you'd still have to go against ruin in higher ranks. So you're going to have to learn to deal with it sooner than later. I suppose higher ranks should remove adrenaline, yeah?

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

Lullaby is much much worse at low ranks. A low rank killer using ruin gets destroyed at about rank 10 it all balances out.

• Rasinbran
    Rasinbran Member Posts: 240

You can literally pip from doing no gens and just saving while running the killer green rank and under.

The average player should be green rank following my point unless you barely play dbd that's the only exception. If you can get green rank then you should just retire.