Totem counter when?

Options
Rivyn
Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005

Devs have only been talking about it for the last year or two. Why is such a simple QoL change so difficult to add? I know they're really slow on these, and would prefer to nerf killers and spam cosmetics, but come on. It can't be that hard to add five marks to the side of the screen that represent active totems.

Comments

• WhTe_Tygre_DBD
    WhTe_Tygre_DBD Member Posts: 295
    Options

Should be longer to cleanse a totem

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763
    Options

I guess that's understandable if no one is communicating the info. Maybe for solo survivors I can see that being part of the buff the devs want to do.

• Tisfine
    Tisfine Member Posts: 148
    Options

Might as well add how many hook state for each survivor. Where gen placements are, make WoO standars and the list goes on. Hand hold the dumb survivors don't improve.

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,057
    Options

At the same time, i could see it as an addition to a perk like Small Game or Detective's Hunch, much like how Hex: Thrill of the Hunt gives Killers that info.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

Even if they add a totem counter at some point, I'm pretty sure it will only be included with small game so nothing will be fixed really.

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920
    Options

Wouldn't a totem counter essentially destroy NOED? I run small game because 99% of games have Ruin and/or NOED so it makes no difference to me, but I can't imagine killers would be happy with a totem counter. I've had plenty of games where I do all five totems. Doesn't seem necessary to me.

• FJSJ_Lunar
    FJSJ_Lunar Member Posts: 230
    Options

*cough* small game *cough*

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

No, it wouldn't destroy it. With a totem counter it would be a lot more fair for solo survivors.

Let's say 2 random survivors decided to cleanse all 5 totems in a match. Let's say one of them cleansed 3 totems and the other one cleansed 2. They don't know all 5 totems are cleansed so they both have to waste time, instead of doing gens, searching for already cleansed totems because they have no idea if others cleansed any.

This is the reason most survivors usually don't even attempt to cleanse all 5 totems. It is completely their fault if they are in a swf group though.

• meatisadelicacy
    Options

I'm a solo survivor who runs Small Game. I know people don't cleanse totems, so I do. I can't tell you how often I find Ruin and do all five totems so there's no NOED. Some games I do only 3-4 totems and know if NOED pops, I'll be able to find it quickly because I know where totems spawn and where I've been. A killer takes the risk with totem perks and if survivors choose not to prioritize it, they get screwed. A counter isn't necessary.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

My guess would be that it's because, just like the people in this thread, they're still trying to decide whether it should be implemented and, if so, how.

Just because a feature is highly requested doesn't mean it should just automatically be added to the game. In fact, that's all the more reason to take some time figuring it out so they know they're doing it properly and for the right reasons.

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428
    Options

Im really on the fence about this topic. The problem with adding a totem counter is that you dedicate an entire UI element to an activity to counter a single perk. Knowing the amount of totems left is only useful against NOED. That perk which may or may not be present at all in that match, and is rarely used in high ranks (where you could argue it would be "needed" the most).

It seems like such a waste for a perk that is not nearly as impactful in the game as a whole. Its not an exit door, its not generator, its not a health state, its not a buff/debuff. Its just a single perk. If it was part of base kit, then for sure. However, as a perk? Not really.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328
    Options

"don't improve"

Ok bud, let me get super natural powers and read the minds of my random survivors in solo Q so I can know how many totems they did aswell. Or let me just waste 2 minutes running around the entire map to male sure every totem is done. Gg wp lad, 11/10 omegabrain detected.

• DwightOP
    Options

Sadly, this is my fear. The devs STILL try to fix this game with perks after years. They just can't admit or understand that perks won't make the game better.

• DwightOP
    Options

Totem counter is useful for a killer with noed aswell. He knows exactly if noed will activate or not before the last gen pops. This can make some good play if he needs to decide between an injured survivors at a loop or a healthy survivor with a FL standing outpositioned.

Also, im sick of noed destroying solo survivors while swf have it in their own hands to let noed activate or not. Solo needs equal chances to counter noed without wasting tons of time or an extra perkslot

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,205
    edited December 2019
    Options

Just add a Totem Counter to Small Game, like Killers have with TotH. Problem solved.

Tho when i play Survivor i run the Inner Strenght - Dective Hunch Combo anyway.

• Tisfine
    Tisfine Member Posts: 148
    Options

Yes, This is a 4 v 1 Game. The fact the rest of the survivors is not doing totems proves my point. They don't want to improve. It's the same type of people begging Kindred to be base set when this game works on The killer assuming no one has communications and can throw misinformation around.

But yes, Treat this game as a 1 v 1. Buff Soloz plz

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951
    Options

I feel like survivors arent supposed to have all the info? Maybe im not seeing the bigger picture here but that would shorten game length as it no longer kept people on the lookout. Totems would get cleared in 2-3 minutes then its all on gens instead of people sweeping. At that point why even have totems hidden when people know exactly how many are up?

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768
    Options

This. Add a counter how many totems are left. For the sake of solo survivors, the weakest role in the game.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Hex_KillerMainBTW Member Posts: 447
    Options

Maps, detective's hunch. I do better on solo survivor than I normally do SWF. I feel like people rely on other people too much rather their own skill....which is kind of sad.

• DwightOP
    edited December 2019
    Options
  • Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Options

Team? I just do it whenever friends randomly ask me "hey want to SWF." It's not a "team." So please don't label them as sweaty survivors. It's easier to do solo cause it's easier for me to listen for food steps and sounds since people aren't talking

• DwightOP
    Options

#########? U trolling. U shot yourself in your own foot.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Options

Do you know how easy it is to find a lit totem when people aren't talking? It's a lot easier. I can just walk, hear a small little fire sound then cleanse. If I'm playing with friends, they don't really care about winning, more about having fun

• kcwolf1975
    kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 651
    Options

This would be a buff for survivors, so what would we do to buff the killer? More totems or longer cleanse times?

• laurelstroodle
    laurelstroodle Member Posts: 432
    Options

This would be to close the swf and solo gap, so it is at the end a buff for killers.

• meatisadelicacy
    Options

I am a solo survivor, as I've said. I run small game. It's very useful for things like countering Ruin, NOED, Hag traps, fake pallets, and bear traps, especially with all these Trapper challenges. You make the choice to not run Small Game, you run the risk of being screwed. A counter is not necessary.

• DwightOP
    edited December 2019
    Options

idc about small game, stop annoying me. You don't get the big picture, stay in your little bubble

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,053
    Options

If noed didn't exist, would the totem counter still be necessary? I don't think so. (But I still think that totem counter would be a good thing for solo players)

• kcwolf1975
    Options

You should go to his little bubble because he is right. Plenty of perks that help with totems if you choose.

Besides, if ruin isn't running then the majority of survivors won't bother cleansing dull totems (unless they are running inner strength).

• LlamaArmour
    LlamaArmour Member Posts: 75
    Options

Totem counter would kill NOED and buff inner strength.

IMO it should only be available while using perks like small game and inner strength. Otherwise it's a huge nerf to NOED.

I think the game is fine as it is, if you're so concerned about there being more totems then take a stroll around the map to check. Thats the whole point of NOED anyway (to slow the game down/punish survivors for not taking the time to search). Or run small game if you can't find the totems.

• DwightOP
    Options

Imagine trying to balance the game with perks in 2020. Imagine not learning from mistakes. Imagine not improving. Imagine keeping everything unbalanced as it is. Yeah, thanks. Not interested into his little bubble.

• DwightOP
    Options

It's not a nerf to noed since swf already have this information. It would be only a nerf if NOON could have this information and even swf would benefit from that. But they don't.

• kcwolf1975
    Options

It is impossible to balance everything in this game, way too many factors to consider.

You choose your perks to counter what you hate the most, sounds like you hate NOED so you should run small game.

I hate getting surprised by killers so I run spine chill.

Killers that hate gen rush run ruin.

If the game was fully balanced then would there even be a need for perks?

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

The developers said before they want to level the playing field between solo survivors and SWF. Having a totem counter is perfect for bridging this gap because it doesn't give SWF any more information than they already have and it gives solo survivors a lot of information.

Currently, if I want to win, why should I play solo?

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

I don't disagree with you. I never said that a totem counter shouldn't be implemented, or that the devs wouldn't want to do so. I was just trying to explain why it's a good idea to think even what appear to be great design decisions through carefully before implementing them. For all we know, they're planning it for the mid-chapter patch. But it's never as simple as "wow, that's a great idea, into the game it goes".

• DwightOP
    Options

I see, you are one of these casual players not knowing basics of a balanced pvp game.

Not worth my time arguing with someone like you.

• NMCKE
    Options

I understand that too, why the developers are cautious about adding ideas into the game. They have a process they go through before an idea gets made into reality to make sure there isn't any kinks or unintended gameplay.

However, something has to give, it took them a year to conclude that Kindred gives too much information. I know the developers have a lot of things on their plate, and they can't always be transparent with the community due to their work load, but it shouldn't take a year for them to do that.

Therefore, they must be doing something because I heavily doubt the developers are wasting time. Perhaps, they are testing some changes soon?

• kcwolf1975
    Options

Are you a competitive player? You are in the wrong game then.... Way too much rng for a competitive game.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 602
    Options

There are only 5 totems and then 4 survivors to cleanse them. A totem counter under these circumstances is completely unecessary. 4 people cant cleanse a totem each and one person does a second one? Also, how many hex totems do killers run in the average match?

..let's not turn this game anymore into baby mode.

Thanks

Greetz

• DwightOP
    Options

Every pvp game is competetive by definition. Just some are more balanced than others. DbD is one of the less balanced games.

• NMCKE
    Options

The main problem is lack of communication for a solo survivor because they don't know if everyone on their team pulled their weight by cleansing a totem.

They can make sure their teammates did their part, but if they did, that can cost them the game. If you think your teammates pulled their weight, there's that chance they didn't and NOED will end up mopping your team up.

We can buff killers to compensate, and if anything, this can help slow the game down because survivors will make sure the counter reaches 0 before rushing generators. 😁🤗

• Well_Placed_HexTotem
    Options

😆😆😆

you do that crap in every single thread like this where you’re begging for solo buffs. You present an argument with no logic or reasoning and when someone presents a valid response you say “idc about ____, stop annoying me! stay in your lane/bubble”

What is with all this whining from people about solo play being so hard that they want these great buffs? I solo queue exclusively and I use these things called perks to counter things killers are doing. Idk if some of you know this but you don’t have to run Balanced, SC, Adrenaline, and Dstrike every game. You CAN mix it up and use other perks. Most of these things being complained about with how it’s “too hard in solo play 😭😭” can be remedied by simply slapping on another perk.

In this case, use Detectives Hunch. It’s been buffed now to where you don’t even have to finish a gen for it to light up everything for you. You run that and you have no one to blame but yourself to blame if you get destroyed by NOED. But I think that’s the problem, you and your ilk don’t want to blame yourselves for your shortcomings in the game, it’s the games fault.

What buff do killers get, by the way, if a totem counter comes and destroys NOED?

• DwightOP
    Options

Listen bud, you think I take someone serious with a noed picture in a totem counter post? Obviously you want to keep your crutch perk activiting against solos.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

Is SWF baby mode? I mean, they get this information for free, and since information = baby mode, it would apply to them, yes?

• Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288
    Options

I'm a solo player but I also play killer, and that's why I know a totem counter would be a very bad idea, reason being that NOED is especially good in two situations:

• gen rushers
    • low to mid rank survivors, who don't cleanse totems

Gen rushers won't care anyway, while in the latter case just one survivor is needed to cleanse all the totems, if they want to, since they will know if there are any left.

If this change go through, then to compensate killers should have the same counter as well (without needing Thrill of the Hunt) - plus, if they use TotH, I suggest that a sound bubble should be triggered also when dull totems are completely cleansed (not when a survivors starts cleansing the totem, though).

• Well_Placed_HexTotem
    Options

Nah sweetie I play in red ranks where killers mostly don’t waste time with NOED and even when they do, survivors know how to play it. I played for hours this morning and three killers had NOED. Once, it saved the game for a killer because my teammates were doodoo. Another time I cleansed it right after it spawned and the killer got nothing. Last time it got the killer two hooks before I cleansed it and three of us escaped. This is me playing solo. And none of those three times did I feel the game cheated me or was unfair. We just didn’t do totems. After any of those three games I could have changed out a perk for Det Hunch but I decided not to.

The balance is there, you just have to find it instead of whining for developers to hold your hand 👍