Comparing DbD with Fortnite

Options
Angelicus23
Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547
edited December 2019 in General Discussions

You can all blame on me down there on the comments but you can't ignore these facts.

Fortnite updates the game every week with new content or bug fixes. Dbd release updates every 2 months with new payable content and even if there are bug fixes, new bugs appear.

The battlepass provides you free v-bucks which means you don't have to pay anything and you can buy things as if you paid. DbD doesn't provide free auric cells (except in mobile)

The battlepass is meant to be finished fast and easily, because you can end gaining more v-bucks than you had before after you completed it. Also, the challenges are very easy and you can actually do a lot of them in one singke match. In DbD you have to do one single challenge per match, in most of the cases you have to ignore the objectives and some are extremely difficult. Also the rift has to be compulsory paid with real money and you just can end with the same or less money than before, last if you're a casual player.

Fortnite always provide free content for everyone: new weapons, new events, skins, v-bucks, film premieres,... But in DbD there hasn't been any free content since huntress' DLC in 2017.

Whenever there is an exploitable bug in Fortnite, their devs disable that weapon or function instantly. In DbD you can get banned.

In Fortnite there is full crossplay and crossave for all the platforms. In DbD it took 3 years and a half to start that function as a test for actually the same platform.

In Fortnite you can get refund of the shop items. In DbD you can't.

After mobile version got released, both games did a function for deaf people. In Fortnite they ended enabling it on all the platforms. In DbD, no.

Fortnite has settings for colorblind people since beta because it is a simple setting. In DbD, no. And for this thing I want to give a shout out to that reddit guy who uploads a new meme every week asking for colorblind help because he loves the game as a lot of people like him with the same problem and his suggestion is getting ignored.

Fortnite is fully free. DbD is not, and the DLCs costs 5 times the base game (over 100€)

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the rest of the post is getting delayed but will end up cancelled.

EDIT: before comenting and hating because of your prejudges, please, read my post because some of the people who commented clearly didn't. I'm comparing how both games devs developed the game. Fortnite was in the #########, but their devs saved the game with the right choices and they saved it to the cancelation. I'm not even comparing the genres, I compare the DEVELOPMENT

EDIT 2: Steam has released today the top games in many categories, and DbD is the top 15 most sold of 2019, so we have to plus the sellings of DLCs and auric cells to see that DBD is actually gaining more than we thought and they have enough money for the resources and to get bigger if they want.

EDIT 3: "but heyyyy Fortnite has more money and and and more players and and and and more support and and and more people working" well maybe because Fortnite do these things and DbD not, just because bhvr doesn't want to do the same, but instead acts like a poor and small company but at the same time gets rop 15 most sold on steam, gives an ipad and google home (the expenskve version) to every single employee, go party hard 3xpensively and feels fre to upload all this on their insta ;)

EDIT 4: please take note that the comment of: "you can't compare two companies because of the money they do or the people they have" is useless because this is a forum, I'll discuss whatever I want and don't tell me what can I do. It's like saying that I can't compare Apple with Samsung

Post edited by Angelicus23 on

Comments

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,038
    edited December 2019
    Options

The biggest issue is that Fortnite is about as Irrelevant as a Meg.

Jokes aside about Meg being worse then Fortnite. Compairing two games and company's is interesting, but it will never be that way. It wont matter what you compare it to it will always be a different game genre and type.

Also the variables between things in this game and Fortnite might be code at a base level, but the difference in teams in massive.

• Angelicus23
    Options

Every three months there is a big update which adds content of everything: battlepass, events, gamemodes, skins, weapons, funtions,... Even if you were right in that, it doesn't make the rest of my pist useless.

• prettygoodjobsofar
    Options

i did a thread like this too. especially your point with the updates every week i agree 100% with you.

but most likely this thread will get ignored too. sadly.

bhvr will realise when the game is dead like their other game ''deathgarden''

lets hope im wrong but at this point i don't think so.

• Angelicus23
    Options

DbD is still very popular, also one of the most viewed games om twitch.

The reason why fortnite has millions to back up, is that thy hey did right on every choice. Instead of canceling it when it was in the #########, devs added the battle royale, they also listened to the community, and made the game better and better and made what people liked. Dbd can always do the same.

• deadbyhitbox
    deadbyhitbox Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

None of these are as prone to bugs as making a character and introducing entirely new mechanics into the game. Like I said, far more variables in DBD. A battle pass is just a new assortments of items, events are short lived, guns aren't harder to program because it is a gun game, a shared and consistent mechanic throughout the game, and skins aren't really ever buggy considering they're just small cosmetic changes.

• Angelicus23
    Options

As I said to the guy up there. In 2016 fortnite was unknown with the singleplayer mode. Nobody supported it. They added battle royale, got popular, devs added good content, they listened to the community and did right on every choice. Any single game, doind as right as fortnite, could get to that, from the ######### to the top of the gaming world

• Angelicus23
    Options

New mechanics gets introduced not with characters. They added for water everything for example. They made it possible to swim, fishing and use vehicles there which can shoot. Just for the water on this update, as including other many functions.

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

More money behind the game, more money to hire competent people. Fortnite is better for the many reasons you wrote above (sure, except for the game genre, which I find very boring), but the many it excels in are possible thanks to the big money behind (all the free patches and big updates are founded by the colossal skin market behind). Except the bug disable against DBD ban system, that's really awful, but I think that due to spaghetti code there's nothing we can do about it.

• bilaueta
    bilaueta Member Posts: 341
    Options

You see, no one wanted to play the game until they added battle royale, which was what was popular at that time.

Asymetrical horror games were (I think) never popular so dead by daylight from the start had a slow start

I do agree on hearing the community, but its hard for this game since there is a split on making the game survivor or killer favoured. While on fortnite everyone wanted the same thing

• deadbyhitbox
    Options

Coding swimming and driving is far easier than coding a power like the Oni's. Not to mention, like someone said above, they have more resources to push out these updates and changes far faster than DBD.

• Angelicus23
    Options

Read my other first responses to know why fortnite has more money invest. Take in mind 3 years ago fortnite was almost cancelled

• Angelicus23
    Options

Again, fortnite has more resources because they got more money doing the good decisitions. Take in mind 3 years ago fortnite was almost cancelled

• YaiPa
    Options

Well no. You kept saying that they listen to the community because they introduced battle Royale, but no, that was just their last chance to save a mediocre game. I can name many fortnite "pro player" because they change many things, ruining the game (for example, it's not very fair to play against people with aimbot just because crossplay). Again, all the money comes from the skin market, that's it.

• deadbyhitbox
    Options

And I think BHVR is making relatively good decisions to earn money. But, it doesn't help when everyone criticizes anything they do that is used to make that money. This type of game isn't very familiar to users, like gun games are. Precisely the reason why gun games are extremely popular games. That's why you can't compare the two, DBD will likely have a relatively large but loyal playerbase, but will not blow up like Fortnite did. You're trying to pit two different genres of games against each other.

• Angelicus23
    Options

Im 100% agree with you. Fortnite is the best example to put to say that anyone and anything can succeed. I made this post to compare it to dbd and make devs and players see how easy it is to change the things. Imagine if devs did these things right as dbd did. It can only go better.

• Angelicus23
    Options

Yes I can perfectly compare them both. Again, one thing(the genre) doesn't deny the rest of things. They are both videogames that can be improved in the same way. A game of guns van be updated with the same schedule as a game of cars, just one example.

• Liruliniel
    Options

Logically though for then to redo it. They would most likely have to redo the game from scratch and reoptomize it for everything.

• deadbyhitbox
    Options

Yes, the genre absolutely makes a difference. More players = more revenue. Some genres have more players than others, and typically, horror games don't have a large playerbase. This, thankfully was one of the standouts.

Name 3 horror games that are even close to being as big as 3 of the most well known gun games. Like I said, genre has an undeniable effect on how well a game can sell.

• Angelicus23
    Options

You really didn't read well. You invented that. I didn't say that the community asked for a battle royale and their devs did. I say that fortnite looked for the best for the players and made the right choices.

You also invented the "aimbot" part. It's a hack, banable on any game. Maybe you are refering to the aim assist. If you didn't know, DbD has it for killers. Aim assist was made in Fortnite for controllers because it's very difficult to play shooter games with them. Also crossplay is enabled when people from different platforms play together so in their match they will get paired with ither squads with the same conditions making it fair. (you see how good does this soind for a gamer and attractive to play?)

And finally, your point abou that they just get money from the ingame shoo doesn't have a lot of sense, even more, it gives more points to fortnite, because even for being free, people decide to do a little support. DbD is payable on base game and a lot of DLCs plus the ingame store aswell

• Angelicus23
    Options
  • Angelicus23
    edited December 2019
    Options

Wrong. More players=better game than others. Better game=Devs decided right.

You left me that give me 3 names without comparing them to other exactly games, but see by yourself how dbd is still played by a huge amount of people, why others, as COD or now Overwatch are making new separate games with the same name. In the case of COD, people leave the last game and buy the new one, making all of them cancelled.

• YaiPa
    Options

Aimbot or aim assit, no matter how you call it, it's an unfair advantage for console players. The aim assist of DBD isn't comparable, since it's rather a disadvantage for killers.

I say that fortnite looked for the best for the players and made the right choices

Your definition of looking the best for the players? Many competitive players liked many mechanics which where later removed, in order to help less skilled players, which is exactly like DBD.

And my point about the skins is true, you can easily google it. All the money comes from V-Bucks, in-game currency.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

Yes?

These changes listed here will make it earn millions each month?

• deadbyhitbox
    Options

More players absolutely does not mean a better game. Because PUBG was more popular than Fortnite, was it a better game? ABSOLUTELY NOT. The game was insanely bug ridden, while Fortnite was far more polished.

Secondly, DBD is not played by a huge amount of people like CoD is. The reason why games like CoD and Overwatch make new games under the same name is not because they have to, but because they WANT to. It is far more profitable to reskin, add a few things here and there and sell it as a new game for far more profit. Pushing out people and almost forcing them to buy a new game is because it is a smart decision profit wise.

6/10 are shooters, GTA can very much be considered a shooter as well. None of the games in the top 10 are horror.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328
    edited December 2019
    Options

As much as I dislike the game fortnite, I have to admit and give credits to the developers at epic. Epic is really doing a lot to keep their customers happy. Probably one of the big reasons why this game became so popular as it is now. And in the direct comparison: dbd looks really bad.

• Angelicus23
    Options

Did you play the witcher? It has monsters and stuff, and there are some scary scenes in the game.

Also, pubg was never more popular than Fortniter, if that was true, the recorst would be beaten by pubg and not fortnite.

And a game is clearly better and more popular than other when more people play it and doesn't have to make a new version as a separated game instead of updating it.

• Boss
    edited December 2019
    Options

Indeed, but that's not what i asked.

Btw, i'm not trying to be like as if i would be against these things.

And i know you didn't say that, just putting that out there.

I've been wanting something for the colorblind for years now, mostly being able to customize Aura color.

Since Auras are supposed to be: "Hey, can i have your attention?!", i don't see what the big deal would be if regular players set all their Auras to pure white, which would make them as bright as can be.

And if players get confused because of the different Aura colors, then they only have themselves to blame and either switch back or learn the new colors.

• Angelicus23
    Options

What I meant is that if that if something doesn't goes worse, goes better, if goes better, means more support and money. Sorry if It looked like a child thing now that I re-read it, it's almost 3 am

• Angelicus23
    edited December 2019
    Options

This comment is 100% a fact.

Also, look how that dev answered with the joke of "my game is better than yours''. It' s just childish, and looking at fortnite, they even did agreements with other games, and even films. Closing your game to yourself ends on not being opened for more people

• Boss
    Options

No no, it's fine, i truly only wanted to put out there that i'm not against neat lil things and improvements.

I'm not a business guy, but even i can understand that at least some of these would be a no-brainer to add.

But DbD started so small in comparison, they didn't have something like Unreal Engine to be used by oh so many big companies.

They also couldn't consider dedicated servers a viable option, but the game just kinda blew up in popularity.

Of course this also blew up in their faces, but that's easy to say in hindsight, the decision seemed pretty reasonable at the time.

Not really sure where i'm going with this, so i guess i'll just do a summary...

The ideas? Sure, most sound great to have!

I'm certain they already have some of these in mind though.

On the other hand, i still dislike that some players can't see red Auras for example because they are colorblind to it, and that Aura could be a vital thing you need to see, but we can't change it because...?

Don't quote me on this, but memory tells me that one of the reasons they stated was that the Aura could be set to be too bright, or that they would get confused with the different Aura colors they set them as?

Which of course doesn't make sense cause you can just learn the colors you set, and Auras are supposed to help you get information so them being bright only helps that goal, which is why i say "Don't quote me", it's only what i remember.

Wow, i go off track again, my apologies to your 3 AM brain.

Uhh okay, final bit, seriously: Good, but they probably wanna do some of these but can't (right now), others idk why they aren't a thing yet.

• Liruliniel
    Options

True most likely it would take well over a year to do. Which while they could have a dedicated team to it. That means the base game would continue to be worse.

While I believe cross play among all platforms will be a step in the correct direction. It wont matter if they keep separate versions of saves. So to eliminate more issues they would need to make it so cross play and cross save is fully integrated. Have functions on dedicated servers sorted.

Then proceed to have a team in the background working on a up to date version for people using the dedicated servers for soft patches. While another team focuses on the equilvent of a brand new game.

While warframe did a mass optimization a few years ago that basically removed half the games size and clutter. I highly doubt the Devs for DBD could do the same within a reasonable amount of time.

While I do think they should be able to since DBD is a paid game not a free one like warframe.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328
    Options

Can you tell me more about the wareframe mass optimisation? Or can you recommend a link to read about it?

• Slaughterhouse3
    Slaughterhouse3 Member Posts: 893
    Options

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 😂

• Liruliniel
    Options

I honestly tried looking for it I found something about the chains of harrow questline, but I'm pretty sure it was after that.

From what I recall they reduced the size of the actual program by around half. Fixed some framerates and random lag spikes and cleaned up useless files they no longer needed. Instead of having to delete the game they made you reinstall the entire thing as a update removing the useless crap. Was quite nice how much improved.

• Acadia
    Acadia Member Posts: 4
    Options

May as well compare it to excel. Apples and oranges, man.

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636
    Options

Literally comparing EPIC GAMES to a (in a sense) brand new studio.

There is definitely a lot more that goes into Dead By Daylight and don't even get me started on the monetary backing FN gets over DBD.

Comparing a third person shooter to a first person/ third person horror game is like comparing apples to oranges. DBD will NEVER be as popular as FN and while it can be frustrating to deal with certain mechanics and bugs at times, the vast majority of the players understand that the devs are working their butts off to give us a fun and stable product we can enjoy.

Go play Fortnite.

• Angelicus23
    Options

Are going to ignore that Fortnite 3 years ago was on the #########, almost got cancelled and the right choices made it a great game evolving to the greatest in the last decade?

• Angelicus23
    Options

I'm not comparing the genres. Please read the post before commenting. I compare how the devs of both games develop the game. I'm not comparing that you can use guns in one and the other one is horror.

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636
    Options

I did. Multiple times at that because I honestly can't believe you came here with such a terrible take.

FN has the backing of a major studio. DBD does not.

FN has a playerbase that stretches into the millions. DBD does not.

Said MILLION PLUS players provide FN with near limitless funds. DBD is like living in a two-bedroom apartment while you make making slightly above minimum wage and are trying to make it.

What I'm getting at is you have a game that is HUGE WORLDWIDE and a game that made a minor splash. Of freaking course FN will be updated regularly/ tweaked consistently while we wait for fixes and patches.

Want DBD to be on par with FN? Give the devs a billion dollars. Bet ya it'll be perfect by week's end.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

I guess not, since you made a whole topic about it. No one is denying that, I'm just saying that you can't fairly compare the two companies because they didn't start on equal footing when it comes to the games you're discussing. While DBD was basically built from the ground up, a lot of Fortnite's resources didn't come from Fortnite itself.

• Herbalyte
    Herbalyte Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2019
    Options

Wondering where all that skin money from dbd is going. Probably down the drain aswell as they want to squeeze some more money out of you by making the already 10 euro battlepass so grindy.

• Boss
    Options

Pay for house, food & family, put it in funds for the game and increase dev team size?

Nah, they must be flushing it down the toilet. 😜