This Matchmaking is the worst in any game.

I'm sorry, but this is just plain UNACCEPTABLE. There's no way a semi new killer can even hope to contend with people two entire rank brackets above them. I don't know who came up with the matchmaking algorithm but they either need to fix it or hire someone who knows what they are doing. It is like this every single day for me and I'm about at the end of playing this game.

Comments

• Ashlich
    Ashlich Member Posts: 119

Yeaaa...It's clearly working as intended on your end too I see.

• Ashlich

I'm fairly new to the game, only 30ish hours total played, and I've swapped between Survivor and Killer a bit and I'm pretty sure the combination of newer players being bullied by high ranked survivors with meta perks isn't helping the killer situation one bit.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

It's only going to get worse here on out. There's absolutely no incentive for being in red ranks. De-ranking is a thing too.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

The grass isn’t any greener on the other side either. As a Rank 1 killer I constantly get Rank 13-20 survivors who are in SWF with their one red rank friend. Matches are predictable and boring. All that happens is that the team DC’s and dies.

I should never be put against Rank 20 survivors.

• Ashlich

My thoughts exactly. There should only ever be a 1 rank bracket difference between EVERYONE in the match. There is no excuse to throw either side to the wolves, it'll never even be a remotely fun match for anyone. Low rank killer vs high rank survs? Bullied all match. Low rank survs vs high rank killer? 4K in 3minutes. It's ridiculous.

• JC316
    JC316 Member Posts: 693

9000+ hours combined, not a single one under 2K hours in the game, third guy had 3500 hours. Got Brutal killer, one kill, and two on death hook. I have 114 hours in the game. I like a challenge, but this is ridiculous.

• Ashlich

That's just obscene. I like a challenge too but when CoDs infamous "Skill based matchmaking" is somehow better than DbDs, there is serious problems.

• JC316

The only good news here is that they are honing me into one hell of a killer. Just had a mix of red and purple rank survivors where I got merciless, one hatch escape, and 4 gens left.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,360

Its not really a lack of killers, but a higher demand for them caused by the matchmaking changes. Atm, even if the game is at a perfect 4:1 ratio of red rank survivors and killers, that goes out the window when you have so many of the survivors fill their teams with their yellow rank buddies. If even 1 guy on a survivor team is red rank, the matchmaker is looking for a red rank killer to pair against them.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Not enough people playing killer, especially at higher ranks, which leads to long survivor queue times, again especially at higher ranks.

The now obvious "solution" is to have yellow & green & purple killers play against red rank survs all the time. This way, red rank survs won't suffer that much from bad queue times.

Whether this is a good idea and whether this will lead to even less people wanting to play killer in the long run, that's another topic.

• JC316

Yeah, giving killer mains the middle finger with all of the nerfs hasn't exactly helped their cause, and new killers getting roflstomped by people they shouldn't be playing isn't going to help them either.

Tonight was exceptionally bad, I never got a match without at least two red ranks in the game with me, so I couldn't play some of my lesser killers. Had to bring my A game.

• LordGlint

The matchmaking change caused a sudden rise in the demand for higher ranked killers. Alot of games have matches like THIS one where the game grabs for a red rank killer if even a single member of the survivor team is red ranks, where as before...it wouldve been searching for lower ranked killers instead.

In this match, only 2 members of the survivor team are red rank against Umbra at rank 1. The other 2 survivors are ranks 8 and 17. The old matchmaking system wouldve been grabbing for a non-red rank killer. The new system is TRYING to grab for more red rank killers. Its not that theres a sudden lack of killers, just that the system is grabbing for them MUCH more often.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

That’s why it should be a happy medium when it comes to finding killers to face. Usually I’ll have an SWF group and the ranks will be something like 2, 5, 8, and 17. It’s basically a 3V1. All I have to do is quickly kill off the Rank 17 and I can’t lose. The matches are so predictable and boring. All I do is demolish teams because there is one or two weak links that aren’t on the same skill level as me.

It also makes survivor queues longer because more survivors are piled into finding red rank killers because red rank survivors are bringing their yellow ranks friends into queue with them; while any killer below green ranks suffer from worse queue times.

As you said, there isn’t an absence of red rank killers. There are just more survivors getting matched with them due to the SWF matchmaking system.

• LordGlint
    edited December 2019

I told my GF about the replies to this thread, in which she said I should post THIS...

Pretty much sums up alot of the community that chants the usual "________ mains are leaving because the devs balance for the fun of the other side"

But yeah, theres a pretty easy rational explaination to the queue times that ISNT a sudden mass boycott of the game or something, lol.

Side note, what do you think about what Overwatch does with putting a limit to how far apart ranks can be in a group? Think maybe DBD could adopt something like that?

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,522

Do you think this player will play Killer again?

• Tr0g
    Tr0g Member Posts: 241
    edited December 2019

Problem is a lack of killers. I experience the same on PS4, as soon as you reach green ranks all you meet are red/purple SWF tryhards. Partying and voice chat is so easy almost no one plays solo survivor.

This is why I derank to 16 every time I reach rank 11, just two out of dozens of examples:

First game was a 4-man SWF group, second game a 3-man and a solo that DC'd. Even 3v1 I had to fight hard and the match lasted forever to get the 2K.

I want to play against people of my skill level, not people who bully me around or flat out farm me, up to the point where I actually get the most bloodpoints by hook camping with BBQ.. I just hook them one by one when they save each other and in the end I get 0 or 1K and pver 20k bloodpoints. So much fun.

• SassySolidSnake
    SassySolidSnake Member Posts: 65

I play on PS4, and I've played 3 games so far today as Killer. This image pretty much reflects the survivors I've been going against. This game in particular was very coordinated. I'm a red ranked survivor, and it's the same, except I'm waiting forever for a lobby to get a killer in green/yellow ranks. It's this miserable experience which is why I almost never see a red ranked killer. I have a lot of work to do to get better at certain killers, but this isn't the way to do it. It's really frustrating, and disheartening. I hope the matchmaking gets fixed for both sides.

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539

Don't take surv rank at face value, many are boosted as it's easier for them to go up in levels.

• NoShinyPony

I can't speak for pc, but on PS4 it's like this: No matter which rank you play killer on, no matter which rank you play survivor an, no matter which time of the day - you get instant killer lobbies and you have to wait as survivor. There is no way around the fact that not enough people are playing killer in general.

• NoShinyPony

@Tr0g @SassySolidSnake

That's what happens when not enough people in general want to play killer, and when even less people want to play killer at high ranks. (I don't get why some people are set on denying that there is a general lack of people playing killer.)

I can imagine that the situation could get worse. Which green (or even yellow) rank killer is motivated to play killer long-term when they are getting matched against (almost) full red surv groups all the time?

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,904

Twice tonight I was in a lobby full of red rank survivors and we got green rank killers.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

Honestly dude? No. Overwatch and R6 got way worse matchmaking imo.

In my opinion. Based on my observations. Don't hate me. .(

• Gamer29
    Gamer29 Member Posts: 26

That’s the irony of all this, yet 15 killer and all I get are red and purple ranks. If I switch to survivor, then it’s a 30 min wait. About to give up on this game.

• Leocutty
    Leocutty Member Posts: 1

Just played this round as the killer on Xbox... Needless to say that I got spanked 😅

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442

Behold Rainbow matchmaking...

Bonus satisfying screenshot: A well hidden totem..

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229

It's actually worse than Evolve, and Evolve just didn't have one at all basically.

At least Evolve it was random, this matchmaker seems to ACTIVELY try and put low rank killers against high rank survivors on a regular basis.

There is no excuse for it, and for the devs to have left it in this state for so long is just irresponsible.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974

I haven't been playing as much so rank reset I was pretty low. About 11pm eastern us time I got a quick match as a 17 killer vs 4 people ranks 1,1,3,4. Wouldn't have been THAT bad if I didn't want to take advantage and use a killer I didn't have leveled much. 4 people at the highest rank have to degrade someone that has 2 perks and is 12-16 ranks behind. I'm starting to sympathize with the face campers. If you are gonna get mismatched and crapped on no matter the situation you might as well make them angry as well without putting much effort into it. Most amusing the games been in a good while.

• DonZwiebel
    DonZwiebel Member Posts: 136

The only positive I can pull out for me as killer is that its getting easier and now I sometimes get some nice 4K even with my green/purple killer vs their purple/red survs. The rounds where I'm only bullied are getting less at least. They are not gone and this is still a heavy issue, but its like I am adapting even though its still a long way to go.

I fear when I would be matched against my ranks it would now be too easy of a challenge than it was before.

• fleshbox
    fleshbox Member Posts: 494

Been this way for three years now. I gave up on killer after ruin and i gave up on this game as well. I thought they were headign in the right direction with the new map. When i got the new map it was really dark suitable for people who are sneaky. it was a bug. Next map was really bright. That map is wide open in places. Good for the new killer to take shots. Dont hold your breath for the new MMR. I honestly think it will be worse than now. And th fact that ranks are hidden means nobody can complain.

• Toxicboii
    Toxicboii Member Posts: 446

I got bent over and f'd by a red rank swf. Was doc that round, and was a yellow rank.

Was not happy at the end. Sure, got a kill, but the rest were using painful, PAINFUL perks...

I stopped playing killer after that.

F you Bhvr, go rot in the hole you dug yourself.

Seriously, how hard is it to use ideas from the community?

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

That's odd, as I get this...

I guess I'm above a halfway competent killer?

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
  • Nickeleye
    Nickeleye Member Posts: 278

The only up side to all the MM issues is a lot of killers have been forced to get better. I know I spent all of last season as a rank 12 killer facing sweaty red rank survivors. This season I'm a Rank 1 killer holding my own against them. Playing against better opponents will make you better. That's holds true for just about any game or sport you play.

That being said if something isn't done soon to address the problems killers face in the game. Survivor Q's will continue to get longer.

• Nickeleye
    Nickeleye Member Posts: 278

Point duly noted, Let me rephrase.

You will get better or quit if your grinding killer right now.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229

Good for you, all you did is prove my point, assuming one screenshot actually means anything across many games.

I've had red ranks memeing around lose to a rank 18 killer. You could be a red rank 1 re-ranking. You could be awful and just lying and that is one game you did okay in. You could be 100% honest but you'll be ranking up to red just fine anyways but the people who are not as good won't be and will just be bullied by red ranks; that doesn't mean all of their struggles with an unfair system are not valid, to claim otherwise would be just arrogant and ego driven.

I am a rank 1 killer, sometimes I am rank 13 though going against other rank 13s, is that fair? Unless they are also re-ranking hell no I curb stomp them and it's brutal and unfair. There are so many problems with the system that we could be here all day listing them.

• TheLastGreatStar
    TheLastGreatStar Member Posts: 1,002

Am I the only one who doesn’t care about this? As I play plenty of games online, this is just the norm. I can’t name a single game where you get matched up with people in the same rank / level as you. It’s always random. Judging by some of the threads I see on here, I’m convinced some of you ONLY play DBD. As you complain about things literally every other game has / does.

• daddy_alex
    daddy_alex Member Posts: 2

Playing killer is getting really boring.

I bought the pig and was looking forward to getting to grips with her.

Ive had one decent game all night, every other game has had me up against red survivors griefing and being obnoxious.

Half of them think it’s funny to message and gloat afterwards.

Is this likely to get any better or shall I just go back to warzone?

• CaosSorge
    CaosSorge Member Posts: 1

Just bought the game yesterday, been watching videos of it off and on for a few years now. I habe a decent knowledge of the game but had no experience whatsoever with mechanics. First game, up against people who instant killed themselves on hook and stood in front of me without moving even after I hit them once. Last person D/Ced. Second game, rank 1 survivor with 3 minimum 10 rank friends. Was not pleased about that matchmaking but still playing because the rare matches I've had that were actually a challenge without being severely stacked against me are very fun.