The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The reason for the Doctor rework shows a strong pro-survivor bias

From this well made summary of the recent dev stream.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/114042/i-watched-the-dev-stream-so-you-dont-have-to-again/p1

"They decided to update Doctor next because he’s the most annoying killer to play against."

He was not changed because he was weak and people struggled to play as him. No. He was changed because survivors found him "annoying" in the incredibly rare instance a killer decided they wanted to suffer playing as him. Probably why we have had so many Legion changes recently, to make them less "annoying" for survivors to go against. Meanwhile very weak killers like the Clown are not "annoying" will likely be left to languish for years to come.

Comments

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,092

According to what the changes are I think they made his annoyance factor even more of an annoyance unless they removed his spinning skillchecks after madness.

• beatddb
    beatddb Member Posts: 565

What about the reversed skill checks? afaik they're changing the random skill checks on the screen for those, and a reversed skill check doesn't seems to be much of a problem. I feel like its something every survivor will get used to after 3 or 4.

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,092

I mean LoL also has people playing in close to the same rank proximity but here I am facing rank 2s and 3s as a rank 11 killer rn since I've been playing survivor more for the past 3 rank resets.

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899

With certain add ons/playstyles the doctor is EXTREMELY annoying to play against. You can vault in tier 3 madness, ######### is that

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651

From what we've seen so far, reversed skill checks will only happen if you equip the reworked Obedience very rare add-on or Iridescent King ultra rare. And thoses will no longer inflict exhaustion.

Removing the stance switching is great. Static blast seem interesting but I'm a bit concerned about the cooldown. But what I'm most worried about are what they are going to do about madness. Currently its really got no effect on half decent survivors. Madness is the only pressure doctor's get and its only placebo pressure really. Madness afflictions need to be looked at and improved to actually do something. Anything.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

The reversed skill checks replace the Exhausted status effects. So it's possible to get a shaking off-center counter-clockwise skill check.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

When do we get those Pig change notes and announcements?

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

next they will decrease snapping out of it time from 12s to 8s.. :D

• SpacingLlamas
    SpacingLlamas Member Posts: 602

I'm kinda expecting that to be honest. Or some sort of nerf to madness tier 3

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

or they will silently remove Madness 3 and mute Doc.. "too annoying"

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,552

omg i completely forgot about the Treatment grab bullcrap, thank goodness, and good riddance.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

The standard for reworks should be Freddy, powerful but not oppressive.

Legion and Nurse, while arguably more fair for Survivors, are absolutely miserable to play as.

• snozer
    snozer Member Posts: 776

Expect this to happen to all Exhaustion addons if this is the case.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Exhaustion is much more boring to use than watching survivors miss skill checks left and right.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Honestly, even though I hate playing against 3-gen Doc, it is hella entertaining to play as.

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615

Stronger? He seems a lot weaker and less fun to play as at the moment...

No auto detection, no exhaustion and a 60 second cooldown on something that was automatic over time.

It told you survivors were close now its a i think survivors are close so ill hope blast works.

The only good change is iri queen and no stances. The backwards skill checks will be useless survivors rarely miss skill checks.

• Decarcassor

Except they don't. What kind of survivor miss skillchecks with regular succes zone or even with Unnerving Presence ? They are so easy to hit if you are paying minimal attention. Sure an off center backward skillcheck might catch you by surprise. Once. Then what ?

Messing with skillchecks is just not effective at all against good survivors and annoyig to newbies. Madness need to do more than that or something else entirely.

• snozer
    snozer Member Posts: 776
    edited December 2019

confirmed that he will still slow down when using the zap by a dev on this forum.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367

I really don't get how that's hard to understand.

Also, could you go to t2 from the field? I used to run in get t1 then ignore him for the game.

How you just put in whispers and shock. T2->3 right away

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

You could but it takes a long time, and IIRC scales with distance, so sitting on the edge of the radius will nearly never matter. 3 was simply unheard of.

It's going to be much better for him since his stalling mechanism, tier 3, will be applied to multiple people at once forcing them to snap out of it while you chase and not do gens or heal. As he currently is tier 3 only really affects the person who's just been unhooked which makes him really good at tunneling and 3 gens, and not much else..

• Decarcassor

I wonder if Discipline add-ons will affect the static pulse. Its 50 madness points from what we've heard, so even a 10% bonus would make it deal 55 madness wich is instant madness lvl 2.

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520
    edited December 2019

Refering to the first posting of this thread...

If "annoying to play against" is really the reason and nothing else, then bhvr has won the award for the "most stupid update reason" in 2019 (and that at least a second time).

If that is true, then congrats bhvr! :)

Btw. bhvr there will always be a "most annoying to play against" killer be, because... That is just the nature of the beast, if we like to say so.

And second, who makes you think that you know what every survivor thinks?

Even the people here in the forums, or other dbd communitys, are just a snippet of all the people that playing dbd.

If dbd is not totally different to other games, then the majority of people that play the game will never write here in the forums.

They just play the game, or not, without writing about it in any community. They will only talk with their friends about dbd, if those friends are also interested in games - that said.

TL:DR You will never be able to learn what everybody is thinking about the game.

Edit: And that means "most annoying to play against" - you can't say it until you know what everybody is thinking.

But that are just my 2 cents.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

It's not exactly a sound argument to pretend no information can be known about the game just because they haven't personally polled every player.

Everyone knows Doctor has a tremendous history of disconnects because of how annoying he is. Hell my adept Doctor came from 4 DCs because we loaded into the meat packing plant.

Doctor is both rarely played, and unenjoyable to go against, and many of his mechanics reward simply existing regardless of how well you play. His other more skilled mechanics are punished by clumsy controls for just being able to attack after a zap.

Yes, everyone is going to have their own personal opinion on who is the most annoying, but that doesn't mean the devs are clueless as to which one wins.