IS DBD DYING?

I just saw the Tofu's video of matchmaking and I am scared of it.

The playerbase wont grow up or just a little if the devs dont do something...

that made me thinking if they will let their game die. Let me explain quickly why: I was a Paragon player (a dead game wich Epic killed cuz Fornite) and last thing I remember was that they were making bad decisions and I really hope this game wont go in that way

Thoughts?

Comments

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

It seems it is slowly growing to me. Don't worry about matchmaking, every winter there is some gamebreaking bug that they can't fix because vacations. At this point it's part of the tradition.

• Kagari_Leha
    Kagari_Leha Member Posts: 555

naaaah not for now, we're still playing it, and the devs are working on the problems of the game (they even are sacrificing the events for that)

so yeah, for now it's a bad period for the game, but hey, this game wont die for now.

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

The game really does feel like it's on the decli, killers are eating so many nerfs lately and bugs that hurt killer more than survivor are flatout ignored. Some of their sponsored streamers are total creeps who just making trolling videos and encourage toxicity from survivors. I get nothing but "we don't care about killer fun" impressions from the last few dev communications. It wrecks the whole horror vibe

• gantes
    gantes Member Posts: 1,611

OK sure I'll play less SWF and stop having fun with the game real quick that's how to fix it

• ArrowTheGreat11
    ArrowTheGreat11 Member Posts: 306

I had to stop playing cause I just burned myself out from playing nearly every day for over a year. Poor internet connection, toxic killers, hit boxes, lag switchers, and potato teammates have led to this decision. Hopefully they do fix something to make it less......blah

• InnCognito
    InnCognito Member Posts: 720

Its too early to tell. I'd say the lack of survivors for matches indicates there is somewhat of a problem. When Killer Q times are LONG.

• jzinsky
    jzinsky Member Posts: 112

I'm still playing other games that have been dying for the last decade..

• InLeegion
    InLeegion Member Posts: 12

I say it’s not dying, matchmaking just sucks

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615

People have been saying DbDs dying for years now...

No DbD is not dying. Issues will be fixed in time.

• BBQnDemogorgon

We already know roughly when updates happen so what's the point? They don't need to say anything we have the roadmap.

There will be a patch to fix a list of bugs before January ends. A PTB will be any time now.

Then there will be an update in March and so on.

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899

Dude the game is currently a bug riddled pos. They need to spend man hours fixing it.

• BBQnDemogorgon

They are those man hours are represented in the roadmap. By end of January the next wave of fixing will happen then March as i said.

• FJSJ_Lunar
    FJSJ_Lunar Member Posts: 230

Nah

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited January 2020

If a better game comes along like it matchmaker could genuinely kill it, otherwise it will probably be fine.

What he was talking about is a serious problem though, if all the folks rank 20 - 15 can't find games and just give up trying and uninstall, and no new players keep joining...eventually that would cause a heavy decline in the player base....

It will be fine for now though, and for the foreseeable future. Games like last year and Friday the 13th are all dreadful or dying and are of no threat, someone would have to make a game like DBD that is just better; as flawed as this game is, there is still nothing as good as it available for it's niche game type.

• bumbewildered
    bumbewildered Member Posts: 16

You'll know when the game dies because the devs will literally disappear. Considering that they are still actively developing there's plenty of time. Eventually we'll get to a point where there's nothing to add and nothing or more or less nothing to fix, and at that point the devs will just change the meta. If you don't believe me look at Counterstrike. The game has been the same for years and the only thing that changes is map design (it isn't randomized so DBD won't need that too much) and changing the prices on some guns to see if it affects meta (so perk changes to see if it does anything). We've got another decade of the game IMO.

• Timmylaw
    Timmylaw Member Posts: 227

I'd say it's more like people enjoying playing games with their friends. How dare people want to socialize

• DoomsdayDame
    DoomsdayDame Member Posts: 62

I've been worried too. I used to play the game every day, I loved it! Now I cant swallow more than a couple matches on either side before I cant take it anymore. But matchmaking isnt the problem, it's the community. We're all guilty. We've all been toxic even if we didnt realize it.. and its hurting the game. I get tired of the countless survivor messages "TRASH TUNNELING KILLER" "EZ KILLER UNINSTALL" I even got one that told me "You need to have more respect for survivors, you go too hard and none of us could escape! You're toxic and trash."

I dont typically get messages from killers but I'm sure people do. The issue isnt entirely the game being all glitchy, or the unbalance, or that the devs break the game every DLC.. it's mostly the attitude that comes with the players. This community is full of so many good, fun people... but equally, if not more, toxic people who wanna bully and cry and whine about the game being "total #########" when it isnt. It's a great game! It's just that.. we're so mean to one another and for what? Because one runs and one chases? We all came here because we love it. We love the thrill, the spooky jump scares, the funny moments, the ridiculousness, *the sweaty running balls to the wall to get away from anyone trying to murder our faces off*.. so.. the question is not "is the game dieing because of matchmaking", because it's not. The question is "Can this community keep it together to hold a legitimate playerbase who enjoys the game and supports on another on all sides?" Because THAT will kill the game. Luckily, I feel like this has been addressed multiple times by big name streamers.. and the die hards in the community are also trying to stop this toxic mentality. I'm guilty, you're guilty, we're all guilty.

I'm sorry this turned into a novel.. uh.. I geuss I needed to say that.

• DoomsdayDame

I totally get how you might feel that way, but SWF is undoubtedly one of the primary reasons this game is so horribly toxic and survivor sided.

Not here to have a spat, just saying.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984

i wonder what happened march-july 2017 - it seems like a really dodgy period and then a tipping point afterwards where the game started gaining popularity at a decent pace

• DoomsdayDame

Well, my boy. Anyone who cant see that needs to sort out their priorities lol. If you need me to break it down genuinely I will, but if you're a survivor main who is just gonna argue that the killers are op and need nerfs and survivors need buffs and all this bullshit I'm not gonna argue with you. The game is 100% survivor sided, SWF is broken and comprised of MOSTLY bullies, and killers HAVE to play dirty to get even a 1k anymore so they get all the blame.

Like I said, I can actually break it down for you if you want but if you're just here to troll I'm not gonna waste my time. :)

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

SO FAR is the key word. All it needs is a big company coming around the corner with a dbd like game and it's gonna be really rough for bhvr to keep the playerbase playing DbD IF the competition is doing it correctly and addresses all the issues dbd has.

We can never know when this will happen, companies work behind the scenes and can drop the game from the sky. I personally could imagine EA or similar trying to win the dbd playerbase if they know how much money people here are spending on cosmetics.

Imo, bhvr needs to do some serious steps. Otherwise that day could happen when another dev group brings a dbd like game with a huge head start.

And we all know, once a game is losing players it's very difficult to come back from that.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303

If last year: the nightmare ever ports out to console, it'll be interesting to see if DBD finally steps it up or gets a run for there money. There only real comp was f13, and we all know how that went. I'm sure there's other developers working on games too. I dunno if the Halloween game is still a go or not.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

Keep in mind that many players are burned out from this battlepass. Who knows how many, next month steam chart might show some dip down.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

The outcome of a match is always determined by the skill level of the players participating, unless of course the map favors one side over the other. While I agree more maps favor the survivor side than the killer side, that doesn't mean the entire game is heavily favored to one side or the other.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

Eh you never know maybe project resistance from Capcom

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited January 2020

I don't know what you do for work, but I'm going to assume it has nothing to do with office or studio work. Because entire companies do do exactly that over the Christmas/New Year period.

My entire family is home right now (it's midday on a Friday) because in countries like Canada that care about the wellbeing of their workforce, pretty much every studio or office-based company closes from around December 24th to January 6th.

If you want BHVR to hire robots instead of people to make the game, maybe you can wire them the money to fund that. Not that I'm in support of the idea - robots are about as passionless and uncreative as people are when they don't even get a break from their work over Christmas.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

A rested worker is a happy worker!

Or something like that...

• EverflowingRiver
    EverflowingRiver Member Posts: 562

That's why the best stuff comes from the U.S., no days off. If I had it my way, the only winter holidays I would give off would be Dec. 24-26. End of story. When you run a company that requires consistent customer support, it doesn't sit well with many to take extended periods of time off.

• gantes
    gantes Member Posts: 1,611

If that's how you want to live, ok, but take that dystopian nonsense away from me.

That's not healthy NOR good for productivity. This has been proven time and time again.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I don't think the US labour laws work the way you think they do. Allowing your workers only 2 days off in a year is just as illegal there as it is in Canada. And many of the top tech companies in the US - Google springs to mind as an example - have similar policies to BHVR around breaks and work/life balance, because as @gantes said, it's actually been proven to increase creativity and productivity in the workplace.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Ehh, there's been bad decisions since the beginning. (Such as long, long ago: "Infinites take skill.")

It may be a symptom, but it's not been a deathblow to the game so far.

• DBDIT
    DBDIT Member Posts: 172

It's definitely turned a lot of players away. All the constant changes, little stability, updates that further break things etc, is not a good look for a game that's almost five years old. I've asked myself and people that I play with (both sides) this question: Do you see yourself playing this when the new gen consoles come out this year?

• FJSJ_Lunar
    FJSJ_Lunar Member Posts: 230

On the real, though. I kinda hate the idea of dbd dying. I love this game so much and I've invested soooooo many hours into it. Itd break my heart if the game died

• Johnble
    Johnble Member Posts: 175
    edited January 2020

Once Last Year comes out, DBD will have it's first real competitor. Looks like a fun and well balanced game from what I've seen of it.