Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Calculating DBD playtime on console (PS4)

Options
Accullla
Accullla Member Posts: 984

This is a question for steam players who started playing after the devotion system was implemented.

I want to work out how many hours I've spent playing DBD, but unfortunately there isn't a way (that I know of) to tell like you can do on Steam (PC).

The best way that I can think of is based on Devotion + Player level. Obviously this won't take into account things like average queue times being different across different platforms and regions and people playing 1 role more than the other, this getting less exp (because of the 1st match of the day bonus), but given a large enough sample size, both of these should get balanced out.

If you don't mind, would you please share your devotion level, account level and hours in the game? Please don't share these if you've played before the devotion system was introduced, because that would skew the figures.

Thank you in advance :)

Answers

• Nutty_Professor
    Nutty_Professor Member Posts: 621
    Options

I started playing just as the devotion came in, I use to think to think that the devotion level was always in the game.

I'm Devotion 4 level 62. I went up a whole devotion, due to the rift challenges.

• Accullla
    Options

Thanks for replying. How many hours do you have in the game according to steam?

• Nutty_Professor
    Nutty_Professor Member Posts: 621
    edited January 2020
    Options

I'm on the PS4, I don't know.

EDIT: I replied because I'm curious too on how many hours I've played.

But I was watching an Otz video and he was devotion 9 at the time and he was saying he had around 3,500 hours played.

• w_sohl
    w_sohl Member Posts: 124
    Options

On Xbox you can see exactly how much time you've put in.

DD/HH/MM

• Accullla
    Options

You can't on PS4 though - that's why I'm asking for help. If you don't mind, could you share your devotion, acct level and total playtime?

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

From what you can read on the player's level, you need 352470 XP for 100 levels. Since roughly a 10 minutes game awards you 500 XP, you can do the math.

• Accullla
    Options

Thanks for your help.

I thought of that. However, it can only help calculate the time you spent in matches and not the total time spent in the game including lobbies etc. I've been trying to work out how many hours I've spent in the game (including lobbies), which is why the way steam calculates them would give me a more accurate answer.

Unfortunately it it looks like people are not really willing to share this info, which I understand.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

I would help if I could, unfortunately I've been playing the game for too long 🙁

• Accullla
    Options
  • YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929
    edited January 2020
    Options

Yes, sadly I guess we won't know it in a short time. Also because I don't know if the amount of hours would be retroactive.

also, my method of calculating should also include the 300 XP bonus per day on both role. It's still a decent method to know AT LEAST how many hours you've played, which is actually what determinate your skill level. You can add a rough 2 minutes lobby time per match (or per 500 XP).

• Accullla
    Options

Yeah, I'll try to make some assumptions and do some math later. I'll share here if you're interested. I'm not actually trying to work this out in order to determine skill level, but rather to see if I have a problem of addiction 😁 I've noticed people saying they have 4,000 hours in the game, which if you think about it is just under a full year of their life! I just hope I come nowhere close to that.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    Options

@Accullla

Your best bet to find out this information is to calculate an average for how much EXP one player gets and also factor in how long an average game of DBD is for a Survivor or Killer (depends on who you main).

Than you can possible find a rough estimate to your playtime, but here's a few problems with this.

For one, every player has a (first match of the day) exp bonus when you start a new match up for the first time of THAT new day, so you'd have to also add that in for each day and find an average off that.

Second, you'd have to go off of say... your own average instead of a basic average that everyone gets... since most players play better or worse depending on their play-styles and skill.

Third, even if you do all this the playtime you'll get is rough and won't be accurate to your actual play-time what-so-ever. Meaning if you're fine with a fairly rough estimate than go right ahead, otherwise you're out of luck for an accurate time.

in a sense...

There is no way to find this information out accurately, not on PS4 anyways.

But yeah, this is the best you'll get on a play-time. If anyone on PS4 says (I have X amount of hours) than I don't think they have as much of an idea as you do on their actual play-time, unless they keep track of it themselves for... some reason?

please note though

This isn't an accurate estimation of your play-time (as said before), so don't think this is how long you've played off of a very very rough estimate through player level and average play-times/EXP gain...

Every player plays the game longer or shorter, every match is very very different and can take longer or shorter depending on the Killers skill and the Survivors they face. This is why I say this is a rough estimate... because the averages are very off from how long you've actually played in-game, sat in lobbies, went AFK, etc.

So yes, you'll get an idea of in-game playtime through a rough estimate... but you won't know how long each lobby took, how long you went AFK, and how long YOUR average is from a few new games, going off of an average online isn't how your average actually is, and even if you knew your own average you wouldn't know the exact play-time because you left out how long each lobby takes and etc, etc.

Basically...

What I suggested above is a very in-accurate estimate of your play-time... so do it if you want, but I personally wouldn't bother.

As for an actual way to check, there is no way to check your play-time on PS4 sadly, sorry.

• Accullla
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately as I mentioned above I've considered all of that and the problem is that, as you said as well, the method would only tell you the amount of times you spent in games, unless you make a couple of big assumptions around your average time per game, split between survivor and killer, average queue time per game and average AFK time per game, at which point the end result might get pretty far off the mark.

This is why I asked if people would be able to share their devotion, player level and number of hours on steam specifically. That way if I know that 10 people have a devotion level of 5 and on average they had 2,000 hours on steam, then it takes roughly 2,000 hours to get to that devotion level and this includes time in games, lobbies and afk.

With a sample that's large enough, you can even isolate the edge cases and get a pretty good estimate within a specific range.

The idea was that if I got a decent sample I we could come up with a way for PS4 players to figure out how many hours they've spent in DBD and maybe share it with the rest of the community.

I haven't gotten any answers in about 2 days though, which leads me to believe that people either don't visit this section of the forums too often, or aren't too willing to share this info about themselves, so I might just park the idea, or maybe post it in the general discussions subforum once the drama around ruin dies down a bit.

• FireHazard
    edited January 2020
    Options

I doubt this is going to give you a closer estimate to your play-time, but... I'll help regardless.

How much Devotion Levels, Player Levels, and Play-time are you look for?

• Accullla
    Options

I agree that it might not, but if the numbers end up being pretty consistent then it might do.

I appreciate your offer to help, I'm at devotion 6 lvl 90, so anything close to that range would be helpful to me personally, but it's not a big deal - I was just playing around with the idea and I don't really want to waste your time with it as well.

I'll re-post this in the general discussions sub-forum in a few days, as there seems to be a lot more traffic there, so I might get more answers.

Thanks again though, I do appreciate the help :)

• FireHazard
    edited January 2020
    Options

Well, if you still want the information than i'll give you it.

I'm Devotion 6 like you, lvl 4, and my play-time is exactly 1,538 hours.

Here's the honest truth (my OPINION)

The issue here is you don't know how long my games were on average (for me), how long I was AFK for sometimes (sitting in the menu screen tabbed out), and you don't know how well I did on average in-game.

Now replace ME with you, unless you know your average XP rate during that time (new averages don't count...), how long you were afk, how long your lobbies took, than you can't really compare my play-time with yours being the same...

Plus, I didn't start during the Devotion systems beginning, and it doesn't really matter if you did or not... since if you go off of when you or I started to play it still isn't enough information. I don't want to get your hopes down or shoot down your ideas, but you really don't find the right information on an accurate time.

I mean, you might get an average between 30 players with Devotion level 6 and lvl 50 for example... but that isn't going to give you a better rough estimate than above, there are too many factors to add into it that makes this unpredictable.

It just doesn't work that way, you'll still get a rough estimate and not a closer EXACT time for yourself... you don't know how long they sat AFK, or sat in lobbies, or played on average, etc.

You can still go for it if it will qualm your suspicion, but i'd personally not bother. But i'm not you so, its your choice.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

For what it's worth, I think that your idea is a good one, and likely to give you a more accurate estimate than just a flat XP calculation which doesn't take into account queue times or time spent in menus.

Since devotion is essentially based on time spent in-game, it doesn't really matter how long those individual games were for other people - if they have the same devotion level as you, they've spend roughly the same amount of time playing the game as you have.

Then on top of that, they, like you, have probably spent a fair proportion of time in lobbies or menus. Even if they haven't spent the same amount of time as you have, it's still a more accurate ballpark estimate, especially if you can get multiple responses and average them, than not taking that time into account at all, or just making a random guess yourself, would be.

Basically, actual data is always going to bring you closer to the reality than a theoretical calculation, so I actually think you're going the right way about it by surveying people like this.

• Accullla
    Options

@FireHazard @Fibijean Thanks both :)

• FireHazard
    edited January 2020
    Options

No problem, glad we could help! And hey, hopefully you'll find what you're looking for.