The hatch

2»

Comments

• Clownismymain
    Clownismymain Member Posts: 22

I did address the key being the main issue. I want your thoughts on 3 survivors jumping through the hatch because they feel like it. It's an action used purely to spite the killer for doing well. Keep in mind this is mid game, gens are still unrepaired.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

So, i have a question for you. For all of those basicly who speak about "deserving the hatch".

Yesterday, i had a game as survivor against a billy. He was very skilled, and slugged the whole team. By that time only 2 gens were done, and i have done them alone.

He then started hooking the survivors, and since he got far out to do it, i belived he had bbq. So i crawled behind a gen to hide my aura, and yes, he didnt find me. When the others have died, i crawled to the hatch, and escaped.

In the result screen, i was that: i was at rank 4, the killer was at rank 6, one surivoor at rank 8, one at 12 and one at 18.

So, please tell me: did i deserve the hatch, because i found it before the killer found me or the hatch, and i did all the work that was done (and had the other survivors performed the way i did me might have escaped), or did the killer deserve a 4k, because his tactic worked out, even though were was a high skill difference in his favor with at least 2 survivors, which made it basicly a 2v1 game highly in the favor of the killer? Which result would ahve been "fair" in your opinion?

Its a fact that the hatch is a thing that keeps you going even in unbalanced matches. If it were removed, the game would be over if one surivor disconnected or died on first hook and still 5 gens up, so the game could just end there.

But if its about deserving, how about this: Remove keys, and any survivor that did the equivalent of 2 or 3 gens gains the ability to open the hatch manually within 5 seconds. They would have done more than their share, wouldnt it be fair to escape then?

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940

The more I read the balance is obvious and has been for a while.

Killers have 3 gens to patrol at the end, if as a survior I have made it easy for the killer to patrol then then that is my own fault and shouldn't be rewarded with a free escape because I've worked hard on the other gens.

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 869

There are many other alternatives you could have come up with though... The hatch is essentially a flawed game mechanic in the favor of survivors as it grants them a 2nd chance when they failed to do their objective. Killers on the other hand aren’t granted any 2nd chances by game design. Furthermore, the hatch mechanic stimulates slugging for the 4k. In other words, exactly what you just described that would happen with one guy hiding now happens with one guy enjoying the fun gameplay of being a slug while the other one hides and tries to heal them. If they do get healed, nothing changes as the situation will repeat itself. It’s extremely boring gameplay but that’s the result of the hatch because the killer wants his 4k and I don’t think you can blame them because they have earned it at that point. It’s also a game mechanic based on luck and no skill is involved which is extremely annoying in a game where people enjoy the idea of outplaying each other. (Combine this with keys and you practically already escaped unless the killer tunnels you but then they’re throwing the game.)

Keys and mories definitely are a problem, and I really hope these 2 will be reworked or removed from the game later down the line, but so is the hatch mechanic as a whole.

And there are other ways you could go with this, I’m not saying it won’t take time or resources but there are alternatives. Powering the gates once the third survivor is sacrificed for example and completely skip the hatch-part based on pure luck, rather than skill. I’ve seen ideas of a mineshaft elevator on this forum: a standard structure on each map like the killer shack. The elevator would take time to reach the surface and because it’s already on the map, luck isn’t involved. These are just ideas your community came up with so I’m certain that a team of devs could think of some amazing solutions to this.

• jrosedaily1966
    jrosedaily1966 Member Posts: 10

Morrs and tombstone are the opposite. Nothing like getting tombstones before even touching a gen. Nothing like being tunneled and mori'd. I personally don't use the key, but, I think as long as those killer addons are there the key is an appropriate counter. Using a key early in a game, just like those addons that I talked about is poor sportsmanship.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

This! Basically a 1v1 endgame chase, the better player wins. This is fair, entertaining and leads to much less frustration for both sides.

• sulaiman

Only if the matchmaking works out. As long as there is a heavy rank and more importantly skill difference in this matchmaking, its not less frustrating, because it isnt fair.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

1) Survivors are not a team.

2) You are not entitled to a 4k if you only got a 3k.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

"During the trial, they are required to act like a team. It's even reflected in how the emblems distribute points. One survivor can not do it by themselves. Therefore - they are a team."

No they aren't required to act like a team. I can go into a match specifically to hide all game and let them do the work to either run out the gate for free or take hatch. I can equip OOO and Bond and rat out other survivors. I am not obligated to help anyone and there are strategies that revolve around getting others killed. It might be in my better interest to work with them, but if push comes to shove I'm leaving you on a hook to increase my own chances to escape. SURVIVORS ARE NOT A TEAM.

"As well, if a killer kills 3 survivors before the gens are completed, they absolutely are entitled to the 4k and should have every advantage in their to get it. They've done their job efficiently and the survivors failed theirs. Your entitled survivor bias is already showing after one post. Don't go down this road. I've seen you try in other threads and eventually you back yourself into a corner every time."

No you are not entitled to a 4k. You got a 3k, that is all. If you want the 4k then slug the third guy, or take the risk that hatch spawns and you find it first.

And BTW killer does have every advantage in a hatch situation. They are faster and have more freedom to move around the map. If you close hatch, 95% of the time the gates are close enough that you can patrol them both to ensure the last guy doesn't escape. If you find the survivor first, you have a high chance to catch them before they find hatch. If you both find hatch, closing the hatch supersedes jumping into the hatch. Killers are clearly advantaged here, stop asking for more hand outs.

If 2 survivors suicide on the hook you did nothing efficiently. You got lucky they decided to give up, and screw over the remaining survivors.

You want a 4k, EARN IT by actually killing everyone.

• sulaiman

Its nice how you completly ignore the question i asked you, because it is a real life example of why these things are not as easy as you want them to be. Still waiting for your statement on fairness.

• sulaiman

Sorry then, i didnt want to rush you. Also wasnt meant as an insult or anything.

• karlofflugosi
    karlofflugosi Member Posts: 63

The enjoyment level of playing killer is diminishing. Not sure how much longer killers will keep playing if it's not fun. This game needs some serious balance or it will soon be a memory for casual players, being played only by hardcore SWF squads against masochistic killer mains.

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

Hatch + EGC is a reasonable compromise imo. I don't want hour long matches of immersed Survivor creeping around the map. I never did hatch standoffs, I'd just hit them and let them go. Not going to sit around for 30 minutes falling asleep for 1 kill and a couple BP when I could play 3 other games in that timeframe.

Keys on the other hand, they are a bit too powerful imo. Limit them to 1 Survivor per key as was stated earlier, although what you would do with the 4-man escape Achievement I don't know, and that seems fair. I never use them personally, because their primary function isn't worthwhile. Better to have a medkit or toolbox if that's what you need.

It isn't right though to have multiple people escaped because a Killer is snowballing them and they just happened to find, or bring in, an item. 1 item should NOT be that gamechanging. Maybe turn them into an Offering instead, hidden of course, that allows someone to use the hatch if it's spawned. They will complement Moris at that point.

• GeordieKiller
    GeordieKiller Member Posts: 409

But the issue with the hatch is that its a easy free escape at no cost at all for failing to do the PRIMARY objective its a cheap escape basically. there should be some consequence for the survivors who failed to get 5 gens done and a reward for the killer doing his job well. which is why im in favour on one of the ideas that just like the gate it takes a certain amount of time to open the hatch so what that does is it gives the last survivor a chance to escape but its not a instant escape and it will give killers a good shot for a 4k which the killer has earned for playing very well.

i will add that the idea will only apply if killers did their job well if it was the situation that 5 gens are done and one of the gates are open then yeah the hatch will be to.

Also wrong way round, jumping supersedes closing in terms of hatch plays unless one of the devs can give us a answer on that area as all my games jumping beats closing

Last but not least for the survivors section you have to play as a TEAM you have to work together to escape if one person dies early, hides all the time then you are going to lose badly hence why swf is so popular atm due to the fact that team work is so imporant in this game. so yes during the trial you have to be a team otherwise it would be easy pickings for the killer

also if you want to escape EARN it by working as a team and get gens done

• sulaiman

so you do want to play against 4swf groups really, because thats the only way to ensure that a team is working as a team.

• snozer
    snozer Member Posts: 776

They do in identity v and that game is massive on mobile.

If 1 escapes the team failed

If 2 escape the team tied

If 3 escape the team wins.