Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Rank reset

Options

I play as both killer and survivor, I got them both down to rant 15. After the rank reset today I was bumped back up to 17. Is there a reason for this? I’m fairly new to the game and I’m just trying to understand how everything works. I thought once you hit 15 you didn’t go higher than that after the reset.

Thanks!

Answers

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited January 2020
    Options

@Shain_oblivion

The new system bumps you back to the last rank during the reset, so if you were Yellow Rank before the reset, it'll bring you back down to Grey Rank.

Same with Red, if you were Red before, you're now Purple after the reset. If you were Purple before, than you're not Green after the reset.

That's why it brought you back to rank 17, that's in the rank BEFORE 15 (aka, 15 is Yellow Ranks, and 17 is Grey Ranks)

here's the patch notes to help explain it better

Here's a link to the patch notes that added this change, and i'll provide a quote below that as well:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/108852/patch-notes-3-4-0-cursed-legacy#latest

"Rank Reset: The Rank Reset will now reset players back one rank crest color. Players who end the season in Red Ranks (1-4) will be reset to Purple Ranks (5), Purple Ranks (5-8) get reset to Green Ranks (9), Green Ranks (9-12) get reset to Yellow Ranks (13) and finally Yellow (13-16) gets reset to the Brown Crest Ranks (17)."

Hope this clears up any confusion!

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,685
    Options

Rank reset isn't like de-pipping, it can send you all the way back to 20.

• FireHazard
    Options

Not entirely sure if that's true, it just says you'll be set back to the previous rank (aka rank 17) if you were in Yellow ranks.

It doesn't say you'll go that far back if you're inactive for example.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/108852/patch-notes-3-4-0-cursed-legacy#latest

Here's a quote from the patch notes:

"Rank Reset: The Rank Reset will now reset players back one rank crest color. Players who end the season in Red Ranks (1-4) will be reset to Purple Ranks (5), Purple Ranks (5-8) get reset to Green Ranks (9), Green Ranks (9-12) get reset to Yellow Ranks (13) and finally Yellow (13-16) gets reset to the Brown Crest Ranks (17)."

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,685
    Options

I was rank 18, yesterday. I'm rank 20 today. I assume that's working as intended and not a glitch, but I could be wrong.

• Shain_oblivion
    Shain_oblivion Member Posts: 3
    Options

It sounds very hard to get it down with the new reset system. I’ve noticed a lot of people saying they aren’t happy with it. Is this why? I’ve noticed a change in the gameplay of the survivors too. It seems like the matches I get into are with people who don’t really play so much as just run around or try and irritate the killer. How are we supposed to stay at the ranks we achieve now?

• FireHazard
    edited January 2020
    Options

Who knows, perhaps it's intended but not directly said.

No, this change is not why people are unhappy with it.

People are unhappy with the current ranking system because of another issue called "rainbow ranks" that's commonly happening to lower ranked Survivors/Killers. The issue stems from the match-making pairing low ranked Survivors like Rank 10s with Rank 1-4 Survivors in Red Ranks, making it an unfair fight since the Green Ranked Killer is not as skilled as that 4 man team of Red Ranked Survivors.

The same applies to Survivors as well, Survivors get paired with Red Rank Killers while they themselves are only in Green Rank or even Yellow. That's what you're hearing when people talk about the "rank system issue."

now, onto the other question (about the rank reset)

Also, the new rank reset mechanic is a lot better than the old one, previously you would be reset back two ranks if you were in Red Ranks (The highest rank), now it's only one. This new reset system is a lot more forgiving, and the rank reset only happens once every new month on the 13th, so it's monthly basically, which is plenty of time to get to the higher tiers (if you want to).

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

Most people who are unhappy with the new reset system are unhappy for that reason, yes. A lot of people previously relied on rank reset as an opportunity to practice different killers or builds that they haven't tried before, because at a lower rank they can afford to not play as well as they usually would without getting completely stomped.

The other reason is because of how easy it is to rank up, many people fear that with rank reset not setting people back far enough, eventually there will be a huge imbalance with the vast majority of the playerbase being at top ranks, leading to wider variations in skill at high ranks and very long queue times at lower ranks.

• Shain_oblivion
    Shain_oblivion Member Posts: 3
    Options

Yes thank you guys for answering so thoroughly. I've only been playing for a few months and it's changed a bit since I've started already. So any information is very much appreciated. Also, can anyone tell me why the rank pairing is so off? I hope this is a glitch. I do play as both, but it seems like the game is tailored far more towards survivors.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

There is currently a bug with matchmaking wherein the system sometimes receives incorrect rank information from the killer, causing them to be matched with survivors outside of the usual six-rank limit. The devs talked about it in their last livestream - it is something they are aware of and are currently working on fixing.

However, in the case of the screenshot you posted, that probably isn't a bug at all, because grey ranks (17-20) don't have a hard limit on which ranks they can be matched with. The reason for this is because grey ranks are almost exclusively new players, and there aren't necessarily enough new players at any given time to guarantee matches with people around their own rank. Basically, if the game can't find other grey or yellow-ranked players to match you with, it matches you with players of higher ranks because it assumes you would rather have a badly-matched game than no game at all.