Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Does Overwhelming Presence affect Franklin’s Loss?

Options
Aztreonam78
Aztreonam78 Member Posts: 1,131

Until 3.4.0 patch it did.

Best Answer

Answers

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

There was nothing in the 3.4.0 or 3.5.0 Patch Notes about changing the functionality of Overwhelming Presence or Franklin's Demise, so if there was synergy between the two prior to that point, I think it's safe to assume that there still is.

• Fibijean
    edited January 2020
    Options

To clarify, the perk would still be "active" the whole time, from a mechanical standpoint - the only change that was made was to the survivors' UI, so the survivors are only given a visual cue that the perk is active when they are using an item within the terror radius, instead of just being inside the terror radius as was previously the case.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited January 2020
    Options

Isn't that essential what I said?

I mean, the perk was changed from being active inside the Terror Radius to being active in-general with the icon just not showing up until you use an item.

But we have an issue with that claim. Unnerving Presence also only activates when you do an action like repairing, healing, etc, which is similar to Overwhelming Presence when using an item, but the thing is it was never proven that it is still active outside of doing these actions, since Unnerving Presence doesn't work on DS anymore as of the change. But we still don't know if that was intentional or not, and if it was or wasn't than I haven't seen it being said at least.

• Fibijean
    Options

That is essentially what you said, yes, I was just clarifying because the word "active" can imply that there is a technical difference between the active and inactive states. Programming-wise, I'm about as certain as one can be without actually seeing the code itself that Overwhelming Presence's effect is consistently "active" - that is, from a technical standpoint, there is never a point where the perk is "switched off" - which is why I felt the need to clarify that the change in the patch was purely a visual one, because your comment could have been taken to mean that there had been some changes to the actual functionality of the perk, which isn't the case.

Just a small quibble over semantics for the sake of complete clarity, that's all!

• FireHazard
    edited January 2020
    Options

Right, and I get that, but i'd argue that Unnerving Presence is essentially the same as Overwhelming Presence is it not?

They both activate when you use and item and work on an action speed, and Unnerving Presence doesn't work on DS... which still wasn't proven to be a bug or not, but it's been like what? several patches now? If it was a bug than we'd hear something about it right?

If we did, I haven't seen anything about it recently...

So, i'd also argue that both these parts are not always active since they never do anything outside of these actions... sure they're "active" in the sense that they're on standby to debuff any actions that pertain to them inside the Killers Terror Radius, but are they really always active in the background?

That's just a theory though on if OP and UP are the same in this sense, but it would make sense if they're right? Since again, DS doesn't work when the Killer has UP and UP only activates when you work on an action that pertains to it... so, that would mean it isn't always active until you do something correct?

Again, a theory, it was never confirmed (as far as I know) that DS not working on UP is a bug or not, but again again, it's been several patches now... so if it was it would've been fixed or mentioned by now right?

• Fibijean
    Options

I believe they would always be active in the background, yes. The fact that UP doesn't affect DS doesn't mean the perk isn't active at that time, it just means that there is something in the programming that tells DS skill checks to ignore UP. Only a dev can confirm this, but from my own experience with programming, I would imagine that the way it works is that the perks are consistently active, and the game checks for their presence when the survivor is performing the relevant action.

So to use OP as an example, whenever a survivor uses an item, the game asks itself, is Overwhelming Presence active? Are we in the killer's terror radius? And if the answer to both of those is yes, then the effects of the perk are applied. It's essentially like how a switched-on power socket is always active, electrically, but it doesn't have any effect until you plug something into it.

• FireHazard
    Options

That'd make sense, but unless a Dev confirms that than it's unknown whether or not it's true or not.

Plus, you could also argue that the perk only activates for certain things like repairing, healing, etc, which means it only applies to those actions and in a sense isn't always active because the perk doesn't need to be, so in my scenario it wouldn't be active since DS used to be affected by UP UNTIL that change.

In your scenario, it ignores certain skill-checks and other such things that doesn't pertain to the perk itself.

But again, we'll never know unless a curious dev stops by to confirm either sides speculation, so in a sense, the conversation is at a moot point unfortunately.

• Fibijean
    Options

Sure. As I said, while that is theoretically possible, I don't think it would make very much sense from a programming point of view. My theory is just based on what is more likely to be technically the case. But of course there's no real way to know without examining the code for ourselves, or having someone who has explain it to us.

• FireHazard
    Options

Right, and I get that, but again anything is possible when you think about how the perk previously worked and how it works now.

Since UP worked in-general for anything before 3.4.0, than it was changed to only work on actions pertaining to it... so it's an odd case for the perk itself.

But we'll see if anything comes of it in the future, probably not, but we'll see.

• Fibijean
    Options

What I've been saying this entire time was that the perks themselves weren't changed in Patch 3.4.0, at least not officially. How they appeared on the Survivors' HUD was the only thing that was changed, and the Patch Notes themselves are directly reflective of that. "Debuff perks no longer appear on the Survivors in-game HUD until the debuff is applied."

I'm not sure how I can make that point any clearer, but I mentioned it mainly for the benefit of the OP anyway, so I guess I will just leave it here in the hope that my making that distinction is helpful to them.

• FireHazard
    edited January 2020
    Options

We could debate back and forth for hours, you and I know that, but i'll leave it here since this isn't the place to do it anyways which I will agree with.

Whoever is "right" or not doesn't really matter for this question, the OP has their answer and that's all that matters. I can talk about this elsewhere but i'm not personally interested in continuing it here.