We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

(unfortunate souls) Who still play Nurse, thoughts?

2»

Comments

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318

I'm not talking about buffing, but undoing the recent change that added the cooldown in the first place. It is unnecessary and adds literally no new ways to change the way in which you play Nurse, and in fact it limits you into playing her in a very specific way or pretty much hand the game to the survivors on a silver platter.

You can't mind game anymore because using your blinks for such things will punish you and let the survivor run away for free.

You can't traverse the map the same anymore because if you use 2 blinks you'll get punished when you do find a survivor.

Missing a blink in a chase now can mean the difference between starting the chase over again entirely and not even being able to find a survivor because of the stun and slowness of her walk speed.

Also this is coming from people with 300+ hours on Nurse who are very much used to her old playstyle. I preffered when it took skill to not only play her but also counter her. Before it was a skillful interaction between the Nurse and survivors, as they had to think about when and how they were going to try and break LOS or juke. Now you can just run in a straight line and get almost the exact same result as before with a braindead amount of thought.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,153

I can only play her in small doses. Way too much effort for the reward now. Too much easy counterplay for smart survivors to utilize. They never asked themselves why anyone would choose Nurse after the changes. There's no compelling reason to take her over Spirit IMO.

• coppersly

Or someone like Hag with a similar power of teleportation that doesn't get punished for using her power...

• edgarpoop

Or someone that doesn't show a survivor where she's about to go and then suffers a cooldown if the survivor reacts in time

• avilmask
    avilmask Member Posts: 599
    edited January 2020

She actually does. It's setup time. Can't apply pressure if have to walk places where nobody is yet. So she have to play in very specific way as well. But the punishment isn't that bad compared to Nurse, even though all her setup can be easily destroyed with little coordination or even play against her because of lack of QOL things (she keeps getting teleported to wrong clones, so best strat is run around and trigger all you can while Hag is in chase).

• HexDevourSWF
    HexDevourSWF Member Posts: 10

You don't need to mind game with her. Blink to them and hit them it's really not that hard. Maybe it's because I didn't play her before the Nerf but I honestly have no issues getting a 4k against red ranks. Her mobility around the map for checking gens is still decent. Blink to a gen if someone is there use your second blink to attack them if there is. Then depending on what they do either leave them or use another blink to smack them down. It's really not that hard when you don't over think it and learn to juggle the survivors. Idk if I adapted to her quicker and easier sense I didnt play old nurse, but if survivors are running in a straight like from you to get away you're doing something wrong no offense.

• HexDevourSWF

I should also mention that the only add on I use is the flannel sense I'm still getting used to the distance for blinks

• coppersly

Oh my god I raged so hard playing a great game of hag with mapwide tele + shackles and I was plowing through them with Amandas unhook perk and about halfway through I keep teleporting to traps across the map instead of the ones I mean to. It was so rage inducing oh my god lol

I hope you see how dumb this look. If you're still getting used to her teleport distance I can assure you any good survivor will easily evade you. There's a reason for "baby Nurses."

So if you're still not completely muscle memory aware of her distance than you clearly aren't 4king good survivors.

• HexDevourSWF

Well if I can 4k in red ranks and you can't then I don't see how I'm the baby. I can do it without it but she's not my main and I don't play this game 24/7 I have alot of stuff to do outside of this game. The flannel just ensures that I won't screw up. Maybe try it and then maybe you'll actually be decent with her instead of complaining about her. But hey it's just a thought.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,687

Dead Hard basically insta wins chases against the new nurse (distance + extended cooldown for whiffed attack).

I don't use her anymore.

• LegionGhostface
    LegionGhostface Member Posts: 162

i’ve played nurse since i first got the game and honestly don’t have that many hours with her, i kinda picked up on her power quickly. i’m rank 1 as well and never fail to get 3k or 4k

• coppersly

The more you talk the more it seems you just make up ######### to put down legitmate complaints about the new Nurse man.

Yeah talk about a hard counter perk, it basically just resets the chase entirely for her now.

• avilmask
    avilmask Member Posts: 599

That's when you're meant to add screenshots that you get matched against not browns or actually use a blink build without walking addons.

• HexDevourSWF

I'm not trying to put it down or anything like that. You just called me out for being new to her which I already stated. I'm just trying to share my experience and what works with her. Like I said she is alot different from her old version so I'm just wondering if that why you and other people have issues with her now sense you can't play her the same way. I'm sorry if I offended you, I'm just trying to show a different side of the story.

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

She's fine and fun. I still play her every now and then and do decent with her.

• coppersly

It's pretty much accepted as law of the land Nurse is one of if not the hardest killer to learn. You'll have to excuse me for doubting someone new to her can just instantly 4k at red ranks every game.

And she does play differently from before, mainly because she is so limited compared to her old self. There are things you can no longer do with her. Full Stop. I loved mind-gaming people by blinking in places they never expected and coming from behind a wall to get a cool hit. If you try that now there is a huge chance you're going to basically waste both of those blinks and either reset or lose the chase entirely because of the cooldown.

If it added new ways to play her or offered some new mind-games you could do I wouldn't be nearly as upset at the changes as I am, but here we are with me upset and her left with less tools to do less things than before.

• HexDevourSWF

When I say that I'm newer to her I have somewhere around 70 or 80 hours with her. So by no means am I an expert. For the first couple hours I would only have a 1k or 2k game but I found it got alot easier when I didn't mind game at all and just blinked directly to them. Maybe it's just the people I go against, I honestly don't know. The only thing I could see changing is the looking down after blinking. Was that a thing on old nurse too?

• coppersly

Literally the only thing they changed on her basekit was the cooldown stuff. So everything else you experience (including gamebreaking bugs) was there before. So instead of changing fatigue and adding a cooldown they just slapped a cooldown on an already cooldown like mechanic. No thought was put into this change, it was literally just a cop-out to actual real advanced changes, and it shows. If anyone on the team played her they would've instantly raised hell about the 99% charge scenario that happens a lot.

Mind-gaming right now is just straight up impossible with her so I don't fault you for abandoning it. It USED to be a lot of fun to play with them by blinking in strange places but now all it nets you is a wasted chase.

• Shirokuro
    Shirokuro Member Posts: 182

I feel like the devs should definitely take a look at her and tweak something so that she'd be more fun to play as while still keeping her strength at a reasonable level.

Nowadays I only play her with the add-on which makes her movement speed 4.2 m/s and removes one blink. That way I don't have to monitor the power bar.

• HexDevourSWF

I can definitely see you you can find that annoying. I guess I just never had it so I don't miss it lol. As for the mind game that's why I stopped playing her. It just isn't that fun sense it's just the same thing over and over and while it takes skill to use her blinks it doesn't leave any opportunities for being creative if that makes sense. That's why I'm a Billy and ghosty main honestly. They have so many more options in a chase to make it fun.

• coppersly

That's one of my biggest issues with her changes, they took ALL of her creative playstyles and just threw them out in leu of one very specfic playstyle.

You're lucky to have picked her up after the changes, I assure you you'd be hating them if you had learned her beforehand lol.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

As a Nurse-main myself, you sound very ... unconvincing. Saying you don't even know your blink distances, but yet get many kills with her versus red ranks.

I myself know blink distances very well, but I still miss alot of blinks, because tricky survivors do unexpected turns last moments.

• coppersly

Remember how fun it was to fake blinks or charge a full blink and look down at the last second to get those juicy hits?

Prepridge Farm remembers.

• Tro
    Tro Member Posts: 223

She is one of the least played killers with the lowest kill rate. Yes she needs to be looked at and something changed.

• edgarpoop

You absolutely have to mind game her blinks. I'm not sure where to even begin with that. The quick aim camera flick as you release the blink charge is a baseline high rank Nurse tech. You'll have a very hard time catching red rank survivors at LOS breaks if your aren't mindgaming your blink destination. They can see where you're aiming and can hear how long you're charging for.

• coppersly

I agree, you do need the mind games in her kit otherwise she gets countered way too hard by LOS breaks.

God damn I miss old Nurse. On the day of her death patch I was still playing her well into the evening until like 2P.M when I was unable to find anymore matches of people who didn't update. That was the last fun day I had with this game :(

• HexDevourSWF

I know the distances I'm just not confident in myself if that makes sense. I've ran her without the flannel add on just fine. I just run it because it ensures I don't screw up if that makes sense. Also I'm wondering if the red ranks in my area arnt as bad as everyone else. 99% of the people I play with are casual and I never come up against sweaty swf.

• HexDevourSWF

I guess I just didnt consider that a mind game. I considered that just playing her. To me it's not really a mind game.

• coppersly

Well part of playing killer is implementing tricks to fool the survivors into making bad moves, that's mindgames for every killer right there.

• HexDevourSWF

That fair I always just thought of it as one of her mechanics instead of a mindgame but I do use that so I guess I do mind game a bit with her sense I use that alot. The other thing that helps is that no one runs dead hard around here sense it's broken right now so that helps me make alot of my swings.

• coppersly

Yeah when DH starts working again you will see x4 every game assuring you waste large amounts of time in chases since it's virtually impossible to fake them out now.

• DepressedClownMain
    DepressedClownMain Member Posts: 924

I don't see the fatigue as a bigger "punishment" than the recharge on Legion and the cooldown on Spirit

• coppersly

That was basically her cooldown, it filled that role. Now we have a hat on a hat of cooldowns though :/

• Tro

Sure it’s different When you add the individual cool downs for each blink and a walking speed slower then survivors movement speed.

• Tro

Not to mention, that you simply cannot catch a survivor running around a staircase or statues, or through pride rocks Because you could not blink through those, and the survivor moves faster than you

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246
    edited January 2020

The thing is nobody believes you, stating chases end in 5-10seconds, everybody knows you are making that up.

• coppersly

Big brain plays running around a giant statue to evade Nurse.

• LegionGhostface
    LegionGhostface Member Posts: 162

ok, look bruh.. i literally have no reason to lie and can post a link to one of my videos that i played as nurse on my youtube channel. the reason you most likely think im making this up is probs cause you trash at the killer and find it unbelievable that someone's actually doing good with them? chill, i have no reason to lie lmfao. you really a joke if you think the killer isn't capable of all this.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Very occasionally. Her greatness is only a memory. Devs will never admit they were wrong in listening so they avoid the issue, push it under a rug, and hoping nurse mains would go away.

• coppersly

Nurse mains rise up

Seriously though I'll lurk for a little bit and have bursts of activity on here just so she never completely leaves the forums. Well, me and plenty of other Nurse mains. We have to keep the spirit alive.

• DepressedClownMain
    DepressedClownMain Member Posts: 924

The cooldown mechanic was just the traditional lazy dev fix but I much prefer it over a bigger cooldown that was necessary for old nurse

• Tro

Or we can keep asking and hopefully someone will listen and fix her.

• SirBassington
    SirBassington Member Posts: 8

Red rank Nurse main here, I still play her since her change, it has done nothing to affect my playstyle. TL;DR in the bottom paragraph; but, Nurse is as easy (imo) as before so here is my not-so-short explanation why:

When I learned how to play Nurse (~6 or 7 months after her release) I played her without addons as at the time they changed her power too much to be predictable. I learned how to utilize my blink amount and when I should or shouldn't blink. A survivor running in the open = double blink; survivor running to a walled off area with a whole bunch of lockers/hidden views = single blink/fatigue and listen for auditory cues on where they are moving to or from. Back then I never blinked right after a fatigue because the more I blink the more I fatigue (i.e. less sight on survivors [not good]). I used my blinks in variable amounts of time (close to than what we have now) to get to the survivors, play variable mindgames, and have fun, all while not 'try-harding' too much.

How does that work with the 'new' Nurse change? Absolutely nothing changed, it enforced my wait a certain period before blinking so I can maximize my visual perception while in a chase, when I need to blink I am left with a view of the ground and audio for my main perception.

Nurse is only as good as you make her and that can be dependent on certain maps or against certain groups (aka SWF groups - tbh I love these groups, they normally are really fun and others are easy to get a 3k/4k but I'm not here to gloat - I usually let most groups go as I can pip easily without many sacrifices at red ranks). But if you have problems with Nurse you either took advantage of then more than 2 blink Nurse addons or blinked as soon as your fatigue was over - obviously neither was fun to play against since that made Nurse easy to catch up to people and break most chances of escaping. As a Nurse main who never did such things I frowned on those kind of Nurse players as it was an obvious game design flaw in her - which has been removed for obvious reasons.

If you want a good build to help you learn her run the following: BBQ and Chili, Thanataphobia, Agitation, and Bloodwarden. That's it. Why? I'll tell ya! BBQ will let you hone in on where survivors are if not in range of the hook, this does not mean you need to go after them, but its nice to know who/how many is/are close or not to a hooked survivor. Thanataphobia slows down the game just a little bit for you to keep the game in your favor. Agitation will speed up your carry speed to faster than your normal movement speed by just a bit, this allows you to hook someone faster and give you more time to get back to learning her ability and playstyle that works for you. And finally Bloodwarden, a lot of people will sit at gates once open against a Nurse because they think they can wait on you to be near and then escape - you are the slowest killer afterall. If you have downed someone most teams will still wait inside or near the gate which gives you ample opportunity to down more survivors - and this will teach you how to play the EGC with her should the survivors get cocky).

TL;DR: Nurse is good if you know how to maneuver around the map with and without using blinks. Not all hits have to be right after a blink. Not all chases end or start with a blink. Have patience and take the time to use her, she is amazing when you get to know her (and you can run them around once you know how to play her!). It's still fun to play her vanilla (no addons, perks, offerings) and just go about happily. My recommendation to play Nurse: 10/10! These Nurse threads should stop as it just takes some time to learn a killer who is rated as "Hard" in the game and not let a few matches ruin it for them; I sometimes have bad matches but that's happens on both sides no matter who you play or run, its just a time of the day/night thing and who else you are playing with really.

• coppersly

I'm glad you still have fun with her, but we haven't been saying she isn't viable, just very unfun.

You have 2 negative feedback responses every single time you use your power, and now using your power to move like you're supposed to is a punishing BHVR because if you stumble upon a survivor you're most likely going to have used 2 blinks and the chase won't even start because you're needing to wait again for your power. On top of it you get punished for mind-gaming with your blinks now and basically forfeit chases if you miss a critical blink now because the distance they can gain is insane and they could just very well hide before you can even walk over to the area.

It's just a hat on a hat of dumbness, and I know you could've come up with a better change that feels just as, or very close, to as fluid as she was before because she is janky as ######### now. Regardless of how well she can perform, most of us who enjoyed her don't like getting slapped in the face every time we blink and especially when bad survivors can just run in a straight line and delay you wayyyyy harder than their skill level should allow for.