Nerf Borrowed Time

Options
CrescentGent
CrescentGent Member Posts: 60
edited January 2020 in General Discussions

Since killer related stuff and things are getting nerfed patch after patch, think it's about time we address the elephant in the room, borrowed time. General consensus of Borrowed time (BT) is that your can unhook survivors and that person is granted deep wounds upon a hit after the fact. Sounds alright so far? Not only this but here's the kicker, you can use it as many times as you want!

This not only encourages YOLO saves but encourages toxic gameplay which isn't out of the norm for survivor mains anyway.

TL:DR: Nerf Borrowed time so that it may only be used once every few minutes or even better, once or twice per trial.

Comments

• Livearth
    Livearth Member Posts: 57
    Options

Since ruin is ruined, the survivors have more chances to reach the endgame with 4 survivors alive and you right BT turns toxic asf.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    Options

Just make BT not activate after the gates are powered.

Also Doctor and Freddy can make BT useless, so you can use them if you really have a problem with the perk.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425
    Options

And survivors don't 'play cheap'? Whatever that means. Its a no skill perk that rewards bad play. Its a bad perk and does nothing but make the game worse.

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

I can see this being a problem to deal with at end game. Its completely understandable at that point, but during a game when theres still gens up, I don't see this as a problem. Also I agree, the whole "git gud" propaganda is a cop-out response.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117
    Options

Survivors cannot play cheap. Or Show me the equevalant to Camping, tunneling and slugging.

• iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2020
    Options

Buff Borrowed Time to combat no terror radius GhostFace and Freddy. Thanks for bringing up BT.

• T2K
    T2K Member Posts: 635
    Options

Cant count the times I went for the unhooker and the unhooked person with BT throws himself in front of me to tank a hit. Yeah thats totally what BT is there for. It gets abused like DS.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

Just run insidious if you want to camp and tunnel man.

• TheNewWebhead
    TheNewWebhead Member Posts: 22
    Options

@CrescentGent @SnakeSound222 @Unicorn This is an interesting thread to read and everyone's takes are fairly reasonable. I believe that this community could really use less toxic attitudes though like "get good" and dismissing across the aisle complaints. The way I see an arguement where someone just says "get good" with or without a perk (killer or surv), I think that arguement is counter intuitive to the point brought up by the host and is essentially a poop post. All of that to say, I see why you think a change needs to be made.

I'm a hard survivor main and I often see people abuse the system set in place by BT. Now you said making it only happen once or twice would be optimal. Why? That isn't an attack but a genuine question because as a survivor main I usually only use it once IF twice a game. Would instead a prerequisite, counter, or rework all together be better? Really curious what you think because I have a couple ideas that might be able to be built upon.

Prerequisite - Some perks come with these to counter balance the overpowered nature of the perk. For example Hidden Strength for survs. You must clean a hex totem yada yada right? So, would this seem like a fair balance to the nature of the perk. (Here is an off the top example and not some deep analysis. Please feel free to insert your own) Like maybe you start with (1,2,2) charges of BT and can only regain a charge every (110,100,90) seconds in the killer terror radius. Again, please dont hang me for my ignorance here, but I'm just trying to brainstorm.

Rework - this would be a mid chapter update most likely and change the dynamics of the perks fundamentally. Many, MANY perks have been slighted over the years (better or worse) and this perk is not immune to that. This being said by someone who runs this perk religiously (again, forgive me 🙏). Like everyone with the perk starts with (0,1,2) charges of borrowed time. Everytime you are hit after unhooking someone, you gain 1 charge up to (2,2,2). After being hit post hook, you no longer gain charges for this unhook. (Incase I worded poorly above). This would make the killer decide on whether or not to hit the hooked person or the unhooker.

Please respond with an idea or two of your own so we can explore the best use of this perk!

• iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299
    Options

So the unhooker is supposed to let you hit the unhooked survivor? He's attempting to stop you from tunneling that unhooked survivor

• T2K
    Options

In that sense things like body blocking, tanking hits, blocking hooks, etc is cheap for survivors.

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

If they nerf BT at all they also need to make it work against stealth killers.

• T2K
    Options

Mabye I didnt phrase it right. Sry english is not my first language.

I mean the unhooker gets protected by the unhooked. You go as killer for the unhooker and the unhooked one tanks a hit with BT to protect the unhooker. Hopefully that clarifies it

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

Just let them try to bodyblock for 15 seconds...it always catches them by surprise.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

They only change I would make to BT is to put a timer on it of say 10-15s before it activates so its not used for instantly farming others.

• Colton147
    Colton147 Member Posts: 523
    edited January 2020
    Options

If playing cheap shouldn't exist, then aura-reading perks on killers (Barbecue & Chili, Bitter Murmurs, Discordance, etc.) shouldn't really exist. Dead by Daylight is suppose to be a "hide-and-seek" type game and killers shouldn't have any hand-holding perks (or add-ons) then.

• T2K
    Options

Tbh thats a neat tech but I never waited for BT to run out and go for the unhooked. Mby I dont deserve to be a killer :'( coz Im too nice

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

I don't run the perk myself, but my understanding is that it goes off based on terror radius, as in you have to be in it. Unless they are literally running at you as you're hooking, just move away. Hit them as they're unhooking, and if the other person dives in front of you, make them Mend and waste time!

Ghostface, Freddy, Wraith or even Pig can completely cancel BT by nkt having a Terror radius.

Perks like Monitor and Abuse or Furtive Chase can all help to alleviate this problem as well.

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

No other way to punish cocky swf...gotta be mean and use big brain lol.

• T2K
    Options

I dont understand DbD as a hide and seek. This game is all about the interaction of killers and survs. And this interaction is also very important for the devs as they stated it.

• T2K
    Options

You are totally right dude ^^ Mby I should sometimes put on my sweaty pants xD

• Skelemania
    Skelemania Member Posts: 227
    Options

I don't mind Borrowed Time or Decisive Strike because they both feel like anti-tunneling tools. And in the case of DS, as the Killer, you have some ability to play around it. If you're willing to risk Unbreakable or teammates healing while you wait for the potential DS cooldown.

What I mind more is when you get the teammates trying to farm you, that don't have BT, that still try to dehook you inside the killer's terror radius. Or they'll sprint to try to race you to get a dehook first, despite never being on a Generator & then don't have BT themselves so the Survivor immediately gets knocked down again. As a We're Gonna Live Forever gamer, I get aggravated a lot when people race me to hooks because I miss out on a stack & am usually running BT myself.

• korean_zombie
    korean_zombie Member Posts: 442
    edited January 2020
    Options

The consensus is that the game is heavily survivor sided and needs balanced maps to be a fair 4 vs 1. I don't know what you are talking about, sounds like you don't play killer at all.

• Unicorn
    edited January 2020
    Options

I agree with your first point about the community. Unfortunately this is what the community is and its been like this for a while. Thankfully the Mods/Devs of the forums made the rules more strict so I see less aggressive and toxic behavior, buts its still here.

Anyway, I think your idea is okay but looking at it from a Solo Survivor's point of view (yes I do run BT religiously) I'm usually the only Survivor that has it as the others are (most of the time) running the classic META perks (Adrenaline, DS, SB, SC, Head-On, etc) When we look at making changes based off of games that were bad, we need to look at it from all aspects. Not everyone is a SWF team and not all Survivors run BT. I realize a lot of players come onto forums after a tough game and voice their complaints based off of it. BT is fine in my eyes, I do see it being a little stressful at the end game and especially when the gates are open though. Unfortunately, tunneling is a real thing and this is an anti-tunneling perk for someone like me that doesn't mind dying and saving others.

Edit: Lets also keep in mind that stealth Killers negate BT. If BT were to be nerfed, the perk would literally rot.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,797
    Options

I don't see how you'd nerf borrowed time lol

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,690
    Options

If I were to make any changes to Borrowed Time it would be for it to activate only if the killer is within 24 meters. Note that this would be both a buff and a nerf. It would make it independent of the killer's terror radius. So you can't be a stealth killer with 0 terror radius and camp to your heart's content. But 24 meters is also less than the standard killer's 32 meter terror radius. So whether it is a buff or nerf would depend on the killer. But if the killer isn't within 24 meters then objectively it isn't camping and shouldn't proc.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

BT is fine, if the survivor tanks a hit is not playing cheap, is playing smart. It's like saying 99 ing with Myers is playing cheap. It's a strategy, if you don't like it play Civilization V.

• korean_zombie
    Options

I can't count the number of locker grabs, gen grabs, and chest grabs I've had against DS players. That isn't anti tunneling. Example, I was playing killer and saw scratch marks leading to the hook. I followed the scratch marks, The survivor drops a pallet and unhooks. The unhooked survivor gets on the gen 5 feet from the hook and starts grinding away. I get an interrupt and DS.

Did I camp or tunnel. Nope. I capitalized on a survivor mistake, which is required as a killer. The perk needs to be nerfed so that it only activates when they are the next basic attack the killer makes. Unless you feel that survivors are entitled to 40-60 seconds of objective time with immunity.

Borrowed Time: Survivor hook techs the hooking animation and resuces with Borrowed Time. The unhooked survivor body blocks for the rescuer. Would you classify this as anti-Camping, anti-Tunneling, or exploiting?

Survivors like this make me want to bring bubba and ground camp them until they bleed out. I am under no obligation to make your DBD experience enjoyable. I will reciprocate your behavior.

• Unicorn
    edited January 2020
    Options

This is not how every Survivor plays, just like every Killer doesn't tunnel.

Edit: If BHVR were to nerf every Killer/Surv perk based off of a portion of people that use it for anything other than whats it supposed to accomplish, every single perk would be bad rn.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,099
    Options

I remember when borrowed time guranteed an escape for both unhooker and hook person. It was a one time used perk.

• T2K
    Options

I think thats exactly the question. Should there be perks that CAN be abused in a way they were not intented to work?

• Unicorn
    Options

Absolutely not. The only time I'd see taking a hit for someone else if you have BT being a problem is when the gates are open. Otherwise you can choose to get either of those Survivors down if you can maintain a chase successfully.

• EnviouSLAY
    EnviouSLAY Member Posts: 300
    Options

it is pretty fine where it is; if you are proxy camping close enough to prock borrowed time in the first place you really should be pressuring elsewhere better; however in an endgame perspective yes it can be frustrating with gates being 99 or open.

• korean_zombie
    Options

Well if you use the Ruin nerf as a guide, they would nerf 2 perks. Borrowed Time and Decisive Strike. They wouldn't even be nerfs really just adjustments. They wouldn't turn strong perks into trash, such as the Ruin nerf did.

• T2K
    Options

So we agree on that.

Like you were saying, BT is an anti tunnel perk. So if you would forcefully bait the hit from the killer with BT active (eg for protecting another surv), its not tunneling. And so BT shouldnt be able to work like this. Also circle unhooking with BT is a thing. The unhooked with active BT unhooks another survivor. If BT is anti tunnel, you shouldnt be able to do that.

• Unicorn
    Options

Agreed. So what did you have in mind for a rework? I'm interested. I'm not sure if you posted one already.

• T2K
    Options

No I didnt. But in another thread @Blueberry had a great idea. Make that the unhooker gets the hit from the unhooked. For example if you get unhooked and hit, the damage is transfered to the unhooker. So the unhooked has a protection but not the 15 sec invulnerability. What do you think?

• TheNewWebhead
    TheNewWebhead Member Posts: 22
    Options

I hear you pal, I just was hoping to make sense of what killers and survs would see as "fair". This game is a continual balancing act and I can see why some might think that this needs to change. In that same light, I fully understand that if you or I complain about a killer's main perk (mainly BBQ Chilli) I would get flak like "get good" and such. If I were to make such claims I would hope to see more conversations and less needless degrading.

• Unicorn
    Options

Thats actually a reasonable idea. It'll still do something about tunneling for sure but it wouldn't screw the Killer over if they weren't tunneling the unhooked Survivor.

• T2K
    Options

Yes! I really like this idea. As survivor you would have to play it smart to get some nice plays out of it. You cant just mindlessly farm in the terror radius without risking anything and get the save unhook. And the basement would get a little fear factor back.

• Reaper_xx
    Reaper_xx Member Posts: 173
    Options

BT is fine the way it is. Just go for the one who keeps farming in front of you

• scarslookgood
    scarslookgood Member Posts: 157
    Options

I dread when my solo queue teammates run BT. Without fail, the Killer hits me and then just tunnels me through the whole timer, rendering it completely useless.

I've had it work once in 18 months of play, against a Hag -- and I mean literally once, no exaggeration. Every other time has been a tunnel fest, so I wouldn't miss that perk even a little bit

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

The only thing I would want to see is a cooldown on it... make it more of a strategic perk than a spam-ish perk.