Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Can I get ban for editing the look of my perks?

Options
Aeichi
Aeichi Member Posts: 25

What do you think?

Best Answer

• aderpymuffin
    aderpymuffin Member Posts: 97
    Answer ✓
    Options

Like Acromio said, if EAC bans you, you're on your own.

BUT! The last known ban for something like this was back in 2016 during the hag release. That ban was **allegedly** the only ban known and it isn't even confirmed. EAC doesn't even look in those files. If you do choose to edit these, make sure to have a back up file of both your edited perks, and the regular perks. Every time you switch between PBE and live servers it will make you delete all of the files, so its good to have a back up folder that you can copy and paste to save you time.

Answers

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,650
    Options

Not from DBD themselves but if the anti-cheat catches you then yes. It's one of those do at your own risk kind of things. To my knowledge I don't think anyone has been banned for it but again, if the anti-cheat catches you then you'd be banned.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    Options

If EAC bans you, you're on your own.

• Aeichi
    Aeichi Member Posts: 25
    Options

Okay thanks for your answers

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Aeichi

It's already been said above but I wanted to add this part below.

BHVR has said before that doing something like that is a "Do at your own risk" action, since it's unlikely that they would ban you for it, but EAC might ban you for it because it was detected as cheating. So in a sense, if EAC bans you than you have to (I believe) contact Valve about the ban, which many have said before is a harder feat to get you unbanned than one might think.

So keep that in-mind when you edit those perk Icons or Character Portraits, doing so is considered a "Do at your own risk" action and is entirely "on you" in a sense when you get banned through EAC.

And to be honest, I consider a EAC ban worse because Valve gave you it, but that's just my opinion and it doesn't really add anything to the end here.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

Valve can't help you with EAC. You're thinking of VAC, which is Valve's anticheat system. EAC is a different software made by Epic, so you would have to appeal directly to EAC on their website if you wanted to get an EAC ban lifted.

• FireHazard
    edited February 2020
    Options

At this point it doesn't make sense why the system is tied to two different companys, rather than it being applied to Valve themselves.

Most games use Easy Anti-Cheat on Steam, so it's unknown as to why it isn't handled by Valve themselves. But yeah, that's right. I didn't mix them up though, I just keep forgetting that EAC is a Epic Anti-Cheat software since the software, as I said, is used on nearly every Steam game... Ironically the same people who made Fortnite made EAC (or so I've been told).

• Fibijean
    Options

The reason EAC bans aren't handled by Valve is because it's not their software, so unless Epic want to sell it to them they can't do anything with it. I believe VAC is also used in DBD, though. The devs just decided they wanted to use EAC as well, for some reason, in spite of the fact that the game launched on Steam and EAC is objectively worse in every way 🤷

• FireHazard
    Options

I know it's not their software i'm just saying that it would make more sense if it was, but they didn't make it first and it's the most widely used Anti-Cheat for literally almost every Steam game, so it's how it is.

VAC as far as I know is not used in DBD unless you actually tamper with something that Valve doesn't take too kindly too, I can give some examples but i'd prefer not saying it here.

Also, I suppose because of EACs ease of implementation and somewhat decent results is why they choose EAC for their Anti-Cheat, it's mainly what most games do on Steam anyways.

• Fibijean
    edited February 2020
    Options

DBD's game bans are implemented through VAC. When the devs ban someone, that's how they do it. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a game developer the other day about it, and my understanding from him is that VAC does everything EAC does, only better, and it has actually been around for longer. Also, the prevalence of EAC is actually a bad thing, apparently, because it makes the games that rely on it easier to hack with than without it.

None of this is directly relevant to the question, so this is probably not the best place to discuss it in depth, just a few fun facts that not everybody knows.

• FireHazard
    Options

You know where to find me if you want to continue talking about it.