The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

I Spent Every Spare Moment I Had Today Watching the Dev Stream So You Don't Have To

2»

Comments

• Stitch7833
    Stitch7833 Member Posts: 632

i did mention about the missed swings due to the feature, i forget the name they use its been changed a few times now but obviously my question was shortened. my advice to you or anyone experiencing this lobby dodge survivors with questionable connection and that seems to fix the problem, its kinda annoying having to do that but it makes games more fun when it runs smooth. same as survivor, dodge the higher MS, might take longer to get in games but at least the features work correctly whether its swings, dead hard etc. i never realized this game was so majorly connection based, doesnt matter if your connection is amazing if the killer.survivor youre versing isnt. (note im on xbox still without dedicated servers so alot of killers/survivors reach 200ms easy)

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

That's because this was a Technical stream about the way the game is built behind the scenes. Hitboxes are part of that, the whole SWF issue is not (assuming I've correctly interpreted what you mean by SWFC).

• Nakedwildman
    Nakedwildman Member Posts: 198

Thank you for your time to write it down. Now things are more clearly for me, since I mostly cant understand them on the speed they talk. Really appreciated.

• Fibijean
  • aurum_exe
    aurum_exe Member Posts: 182
    edited February 2020

Devs, Unreal standard capsule on the character it's very rough and you should know it. Why not using capsule-colliders on character's joint/bones and register hits on characters actual surface? If a character lean forward hits still registered slightly above is head or his back? C'mon. You know it's rough. You have 5 players on the map. Put capsule-colliders on character's joints would not affect performance in any way and your framework would appear way less questionable. You could still use that killer's "attack cone", but you could avoid weird hits like jumping from a building window and get hit even if the character is already slightly at the bottom of it.

Moreover, what's the point to check distance between us and the killer, to decide to use a pallet or a window, if we have to mind-calculate latency? Latency is predictable and can be compesated at runtime!

https://web.cs.wpi.edu/~claypool/mqp/latency-comp/imcneil-mbeyler-mqpreport.pdf

These changes could make your game waaaaay better... and you know it.

Last thing last, what's the point for DC penalty (DbD is not a competitive game), if people suicide on first hook anyway, destroying the game for everyone? Why not removing the "escape attempt" in the early stages of the game and activate it only after a certain amount of generators are repaired?

Devs: "there is no way to detect a difference between someone who turns their machine off or manually kills the game process". Well not completely true. There is a button to leave the match. If somebody press that button client side is intentional and can be detected with high precision.

Post edited by aurum_exe on
  • BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    edited February 2020

When you see Fibijean's work finally given the pin it deserves

• riotangel
    riotangel Member Posts: 176

Me, I get the opposite with doctor shocks.

After I've vaulted over window and running away, I suddenly get shocked and put back behind the window for doctor to give a free smack.

Of course it has to be that way for me.

• gfjčoasgovdfs
    gfjčoasgovdfs Member Posts: 4

lmfao

why they just don't say: WE ARE INCOMPETENT TO MAKE A GAME YOU WANT

kappa, devs are nabs.

• MakoaKeo
    MakoaKeo Member Posts: 74

"Killer can hit but survivor feels cheated" lmao even their examples about latency are survivor biased. Nevermind all the times killer should hit but latency ######### them over. Survivors feel cheated and that's the only thing that matters.

• Fibijean

Really? I've seen some pretty insane leaps of logic by people trying to prove that the developers only care about survivors, but come on. The only reason that situation of survivors getting hit from far away even exists is precisely because the developers gave preference to the killer experience by giving the killer's connection priority in hit detection disputes. That example is about equalising the experience for all parties - it's the complete opposite of "survivor biased", as anyone with the discipline to see past their own bias could clearly see.

• K1LLR0CKNR0LL
    K1LLR0CKNR0LL Member Posts: 176

Thank you for the read good sir.