Why aren't sounds a priority?

Everyone knows how important sound is for all sides in this game. We also know that the devs purposefully try to drown out survivor noises with the chase music so killers have a harder time tracking them.

In a recent stream, the issues with sounds was talked about and they mentioned how sounds are affected by many things.

Since sound is SO important to gameplay, and it's affected by even the smallest changes in the game, why isn't sound one of the top things that's taken care of when a new patch breaks it?

It's been several months without a fix to sound, and a new killer is about to be released which we can assume will continue the tradition of affecting sounds in a negative way. Will sound be a priority this time or will we have to continue to watch as sound issues are seemingly ignored for months at a time?

Comments

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Because everytime they fix sounds as soon as the next update comes along they break again. I guess there's not much point knowing it will last about 6-8 weeks tops 🙄

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410

It could be very difficult to find out what causes these sound issues. I know its been in the game for awhile, but I still am holding on to hope that the devs will fix it.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

While this is true, I wonder why we haven't even seen any sound fixes at all. I mean any incremental changes whatsoever.

Kind of like how Trapper needs a few changes, but we have the first simple change which is resetting traps which has been implemented without the need to implement any other changes that might not be ready or available.

We've really only heard excuses and not much else.

• VSLl
    VSLl Member Posts: 315

Because sound does not make money for developers. It's simple, Coc.

• Stevie_Eye
    Stevie_Eye Member Posts: 5

I wonder if the game would be more intense without any music for killer and survivor and lowering the volume of the heartbeat substantially. It's the same garbage music over and over again anyways. Should be able to turn it off if that's the experience you want. Force people to become more in-tune with their senses. More immersive imo.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Because it's not unfun to go against a killer that cannot hear.

Deja Vu 😯

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Because it doesn't hinder survivors. Sound hasn't been working since Legion and engine update. Wonder how fast it would be fixed if terror radius would be bugged for survivors, but they probably make sure it's all good on that end before releasing an update, instead of just going with it anyway.

• Rie
    Rie Member Posts: 86
    edited February 2020

I was wondering this aswell for a long time. Posted bug reports, kept commenting on the forums etc.

Then I grew tried of waiting for fixes which will never happen and ditched killer completely

Now I play survivor, the fun, more relaxing side. At least "our" bugs get fixed asap.

• Frankie
    Frankie Member Posts: 807

A GOOD QUESTION.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

They may be survivor sided but I really doubt there's a conspiracy to keep sound broken so survivor footsteps can't be heard. Survivors also bleed out because they can't be heard while slugged, that's not usually something they enjoy.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Yup. It was the Legion update December 2018. Sounds have never been the same since.

There was a brief period early 2019 I believe where they did fix them. They weren’t the same as before but they were good. Update after though back to garbage.

Survivors barely make noise or don’t make it consistently. Also before there seemed to be a more natural drop off, as you got further away the sounds became quieter whereas now it tends to drop off completely after a few metres. From noise to complete silence by taking 1 step away.

• Darkskies
    Darkskies Member Posts: 1,158

But @SpaceCoconut they have improved sounds they made oni and demo extremely loud so all times they can be located so you can juke and run them around with ease.

They added the new doctor terror radius that is so annoying as killer that you can't hear survivors anyway over it andi want to just sit back in silence for awhile to get that horrid noise out of my head.

The new terror radius music is killing sounds to be honest so even if they fix it your just gotta pray your killer if far down the list of fixes and new terror radius added lol 🤞🐷

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070

It would be stupid simple to figure out the sounds too. the arguments sould be (in a simplified format):

1. if surv=injured, then play injured.mp3 for x meters
    2. if surv=dying, then play dying.mp3 for x meters
    3. if running=true play footsteps&runbreathing for x meters
    4. etc
  • Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

Games are way more complicated than simple if / then statements.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070

Not for sounds they aren't. There's a different sound byte for each health state, nothing should affect that except changes to health states/sound perks like stridor

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    edited February 2020

Stridor/Iron Will/No Mither

Distance, because it isn't always one volume

What other sounds are playing

How fast is the survivor running for footsteps, because you have things like sprint burst etc that effect it, is the survivor crouched, are they crouched using Urban Evasion?

Again, not as simple as you'd like to make out.

• Efuveo
    Efuveo Member Posts: 5

If I had a dollar everyone says "why is X not a priority" on here... I can't even tell when a post is sarcasm or not anymore. I feel for the devs trying to do their best with the little ressources they have while everyone on here keep telling them how stupid and useless they are.

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615

Because they'll just break again right after they fix them @SpaceCoconut They've fixed sounds a million times but they tend to break again quickly.

For all we know sounds will be fixed in ch 15 then break at ch 15 mid chapter. That's the trend with soundd

• JC316
    JC316 Member Posts: 693

I don't know if they've even acknowledged that it's a bug. Much like hag teleport and instablind flashlights. They just ignore it.

• luka2211
    luka2211 Member Posts: 1,433

Sounds are so dogshit atm for killer lmao. You can't hear a survivor running by you,or hear someone behind a wall. You can't hear a gen that's nearly done sometimes,so bad. We have always known that killer fixes are on the lower priority list,but come on devs. What,like 3 months with the sound issues?

• Johnble
    Johnble Member Posts: 175

Its entirely possible that its more complicated than people that don't work on the game know or understand and its taking a while to fix permanently.

Or its just because the game is "survivor sided".

• xerav
    xerav Member Posts: 392

Yeah awesome not like we have this problem like 5month now and they add even more pressure by removing ruin ... not to mention all the killer abilitys who dont work as they should ....but oh boi if DS is not working vs 1 Killer we must fix it right away..

• AsePlayer
    AsePlayer Member Posts: 1,829

Some problems are easier to fix than others. Get your head out of the gutter.

• GuapLz
    GuapLz Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2020

nothing wrong with the sound if killers could hear every single thing survivors would never be able to lose a chase it's not horrible and it's not great just in the middle

You can already hear survivors through walls in grass , what more do u want?

• Lufanati
    Lufanati Member Posts: 198

This isn't the kind of game you want to be immersed in, lol. Without music, the game would be horribly boring.

• Stevie_Eye
    Stevie_Eye Member Posts: 5

Does the music really make this game go from boring to fun? I don't think so...

• TrappinMan
    TrappinMan Member Posts: 66

From what I remember last time this was brought up, it's not a simple turn volume up to 5 fix. It's that the bugged sounds are tied to animations, so they need to go through and find the ones messing it up and repair it. It's sort of the same thing with D/C penalties, yes there are issues with the servers and crashes, but the bug reports should now increase to get accurate data towards fixing them, and not just seeing all the D/Cs from people getting mad and quitting.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

Coding Expert Here:

Var playerOne = "Kate";

Var playerOneHealthState = "Healthy";

Var playerOneKillerDistance = randomNum(killerTerrorRadius, 64) + "meters";

Var playerTwo = "Meg";

Var playerTwoHealthState = "Healthy";

Var playerTwoKillerDistance = randomNum(killerTerrorRadius, 64) + "meters";

Var playerThree = "Ace";

Var playerThreeHealthState = "Healthy"

Var playerThreeKillerDistance = randomNum(killerTerrorRadius, 64) + "meters"

Var playerFour = "Nea";

Var playerFourHealthState = "Healthy";

Var playerFourKillerDistance = randomNum(killerTerrorRadius, 64) + "meters"

// Copy & Paste this for each survivor, just change the variables to reflect every player.

onEvent (playerOneHealthState == "Injured" || playerOneHealthState == "Dying") {

Var playerOneHurt = playSound("injured.mp3", (-8 * playerOneKillerDistance) + 100(playerOnePerkBonus), "loop");

If (playerOneHealthState == "Healthy") {

soundStop(playerOneHurt);

}

}

I don't want to add too much here, but this is how simple sounds should look like to me! 😁

• Lufanati
    Lufanati Member Posts: 198

It definitely makes it more intense. Chases would feel really silly without music.

• fleshbox
    fleshbox Member Posts: 494

They have shown when it comes to killer issues they get put on the back burner. Time and time again. I have a few years in this game.

Bug hunting is bug hunting. Whether it is for DS not working or sound issues. It is also a matter of priority which killers are not the recipients of.

• fleshbox
    fleshbox Member Posts: 494

Without the chase music survs would be far easier to hear. It is to mask their sound and make certain perks viable.