Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

A Question for Survivors

Mikeasaurus
Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

So, the past few days, no matter the killer I play, there are always survivors who will avoid all contact with the killer and choose to slam out gens, then leave instantly. I'm on Xbox and I've questioned a few who have, and a couple of responses have been that they can't loop well or they just want to do gens only. But, I'm curious. For people who avoid the killer and decide to play Gen-jocky, are you actually having fun doing that? I don't see how holding a button for 80 seconds per gen and having zero interaction with the killer is in any shape or form fun. I'd like to see what peoples opinions on this is.

Comments

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited March 2020

I have fun doing that, honestly. I'm not great at chases - I'm good enough at looping that I can trick a killer who isn't into thinking they've got no chance, but against an actual good killer I'm down in 20 seconds - and I don't enjoy them a whole lot because if the killer is better than me, I get downed and hooked and that's not much fun, and if I'm better than the killer I feel bad because it feels like I'm bullying them, and that's not much fun either.

I enjoy the thrill of managing to barely evade the killer through stealth much more than I do the thrill of being chased by them. The former feels exciting and like I outplayed my opponent; the latter, as explained above, feels either boring or mean, depending on the outcome. And I actually enjoy doing generators as well, because it makes me feel like I'm pulling my weight and accomplishing something instead of just wasting time so that other people can finish the objective for me, and I can entertain myself while holding M1 by looking out for the killer, keeping tabs on what my teammates are up to, and planning my next move.

Essentially, being stealthy and completing objectives ultimately just feels much more satisfying to me.

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

That's understandable. I'm god awful in a chase. I panic run more than actually find a good loop. But for me, I enjoy the thrill of trying to outrun a killer, or mindgame them. Thanks for that input. I hadn't really thought of a sort of stealth player.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

That's fair enough. Everyone has different styles they find fulfilling, or different roles they like to play. Some people like to be in the thick of the fight, and others prefer to work steadily towards victory in the background. And some people don't have a preference one way or the other, and get most of their enjoyment out of experimenting with interesting builds. That's one of the things I really like about DBD, there are a lot of different ways to play it so everyone can choose the playstyle that suits them best.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Well, for me dbd is not a game of catch, but a game of hide and seek. So yes, i do have fun this way. There is more than one way to play the game, if you are good at chases that just the easy way for the whole team.

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192

I have a lot of fun avoiding the killer, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm just on gens. I split my time with totem breaking, hiding when the killer is about a gnats hair away from me, and it's rare that one of my hook saves doesn't get a 'safe' marker. If I'm forced into a chase i'm 'okay' at it, but i know its not my strength. There is something to be said for tiptoeing around the edge of something hoping like hell your butt gets behind that tree before the killer notices you. There have been some serious butt clenching moments that I just don't get In a chase.

• Reborn2020
    Reborn2020 Member Posts: 1,138

You suppose to find them yourself.

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 815

I don't play super immersed but I have matches like you discribed, where I just do gens and leave. I don't necessarily like doing gens but I do like to win (mostly for the sake of 5.000 Bloodpoints) and somebody has to do the gens to win, so I take that role if I have too.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984
    edited March 2020

To each their own. I personally get really bored sitting on a gen and/or hiding and would much rather find the killer at the start of the match and get their attention. As long as I get a good chase I don't even mind dying on first hook (I. E. If I get camped, moried off hook, or abandoned by my teammates).

I do mind going against multiple immersed players as killer though. They might find it really exciting to hide from me, but little do they know that I'm actually bored out of my mind and just want to move on to the next game. If you're bold and in my face during a game, have no doubt, I'll do my best to give you at least 3 fun chases.

• MissKitty95
    MissKitty95 Member Posts: 786
    edited March 2020

When I play with my friend he enjoys doing gens, he’s a blendy Claud that likes gens <3 he said the reason for is he’s not the best looper he can get chased but not for as long as me or others, he prefers to take it chilled and stay stealth lol, sometimes when I play if I’ve had crappy matches were no gens are done i get into the zone of I’d rather push gens then get chased as nothing’s seems to get done when I am being chased. I think it all depends on your playstyle some like to be a stealth like cat and some like to be more aggressive

• toxcitynacl
    toxcitynacl Member Posts: 464

100% absolutely. The only time I want to see the killer is when I am at the gate waving goodbye. I mainly go and try to do gens and secondly unhook and heal...and oh yes...totems are on my kill on sight list. And then I go to open the gate and hang around to see if I need to help someone in trouble and then run out as the killer chases me out the door, but ideally...yes...never want to see the killer until then. It rarely works out that way and I'll do my best to escape, but not what I want to do...I want to be stealthy, do gens and then leave.

Now if I am just playing around on my smurf I might run some Benny Hill skit on the killer, but on my main? Never want to see him.

• Deadman316
    Deadman316 Member Posts: 578

I thought the goal of the game was to repair gens and escape? Not seek out killer and gamble on dying shrugs

I enjoy it very much, that's the way the game is supposed to be played and I play the way it's to be intended. The killer's job is to seek out the survivors and kill them, which I want to avoid. Would you rather me play the right way, or t-bag and taunt you at the exit gate?

• Okoru
    Okoru Member Posts: 144

I'm honestly pretty good at most of my chases as far as looping and the killer just giving up on me after a while. I think some people like to do gens and get out because they're most likely pipping up. As long as my rank is going up I'm still having fun. I doubt many rank 1's are doing gens and leaving. Its appealing to see progress. Just my opinion though.

• mmain
    mmain Member Posts: 430

I prefer stealth partly because I don't loop well. Probably the biggest reason can be blamed on the Batman Arkham series of games. I loved every challenge and mission where you had to go unnoticed. There was something about the challenge of accomplishing an objective while remaining stealth that I seriously enjoyed, and it has carried over into other games I play. I have a blast being able to sneak around without the killer seeing me. If I manage to escape and never got chased it's like a double victory.

Don't get me wrong. I still do gens. I usually do at least 2 by myself. I unhook. At least once and sometimes several times in a match. You will get time to get away and heal if I unhook you. I'm not going to sacrifice you or me for cheap bloodpoints by removing you when it isn't safe. I also usually heal people 2 or 3 times per match. I just don't do hardly any of it when the killer is near.

• Pooka
    Pooka Member Posts: 3

Well, I feel like there’s still a pretty big thrill, because when I’m crushing the generators, I feel like I ALWAYS get scouted out right away and chased and then tunneled. So when I manage to hide from the killer or escape and then come back to the gen to complete it, I feel like I’m actually pulling my own weight and getting something done, because if the killer isn’t focused on me, then he’s focusing on someone else and it’d be a waste to have your teammates run the killer around and sometimes even get hooked—and no one’s been getting anything done. Might as well use that to the team’s advantage instead of wasting their sacrifice.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Killers always find me. I'm not good at loops, either. I don't just do gens though. I also rescue and heal my teammates.

• Respectfulnancymain
    Respectfulnancymain Member Posts: 1,816

Do killers enjoy face camping

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

I hate survivors that play immersed, but if they're 'slamming out' gens, then they're somewhere to be found.