Make the number of challenges on each side more equal

Since the first Tome, there's always been around 8 killer challenges and 12-13 survivor ones. What's worse is that some of the survivor ones take multiple games to complete, requiring you to play survivor much more than killer to complete everything.

As someone who plays both sides but enjoys playing killer more, I find this a bit on the annoying side. I'm a completionist and want to do them all, but feel forced to play more survivor than I normally would, since killer challenges are always done quickly.

Comments

• XRuecian
    XRuecian Member Posts: 118

They specifically make more survivor challenges (and make them take more games to complete) on purpose, because this keeps the survivor-killer ratio of queued players more balanced. If they made less survivor challenges, and made them too easy to complete, too many people would be queueing for killer and not enough for survivor, and the queue times/matchmaking would have problems.

My problem with the archives is that around a third of them require you to have a specific killer or survivor unlocked to complete, which can feel like a real cockblock. I have a lot harder time earning rift shards just because i haven't payed to unlock all of the survivors/killers quickly.

That being said, they did ask a whole lot of questions in their last survey to get feedback on what people thought about how tomes work at the moment, so hopefully they will actually use that feedback to improve the next tome/rift.

• Marcavecunc
    Marcavecunc Member Posts: 2,057

Mhm.. good point about needing a higher survivor:killer ratio.. Makes sense.. Annoying, but makes sense.

Not having the required characters doesn't affect me but yeah it has to suck.. :/ I expected them to go through the free ones first before going for paid ones.. Or at least have 1 free 1 paid on each side, not 1 free 3 paid total.

I much prefer Tome II over Tome I though. As annoying/boring as emblem challenges are, at least they're doable. Tome I had some pretty bullshit challenges.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

The only problem with your argument is that I don't think most people want to play killer.

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698

That doesn't mean that killers deserve the short end of the stick though.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

I know. I'm just explaining why people won't really care.

• XRuecian
    XRuecian Member Posts: 118
    edited March 2020

@Raven014

It's not my argument. It's the devs argument. I'm pretty sure i read a dev's post just a day or two ago saying that they tried to even the challenges out (On PTB i guess? Or maybe one of the tome pages specifically), and as soon as they did, the survivor/killer queue ratio got really off balance since there weren't enough survivors queueing up because they had all finished their survivor challenges and started queueing as killer instead. That's why they added MORE (and slower) challenges to the survivor side than the killer side.

They need 4 survivors for each killer, even though it might seem wrong, its just natural that they are going to give more incentive for people to play on the 4 side than the 1 side.

A better idea to fix this problem is everytime you are ready to choose a new challenge, the book will ask you: Do you want to do a survivor challenge, or a killer challenge? Then it will give you that. And you make your choice everytime you choose a new challenge. However, you can only do a total of 12 challenges per tome page, period. That way, even if you do all 12 of them as survivor, you dont THEN have incentive to queue up as killer and do killer challenges (because you can't, you already did your 12).

• Marcavecunc
    Marcavecunc Member Posts: 2,057

I don't think limiting people's ability to complete challenges by picking a side is the way to go..

I get that they need to keep the 4:1 ratio but it still feels annoying being "forced" to play more survivor to keep that balance. I mean, I know I could just skip those entirely and stick to killing, but as I said in my original post, I'm a completionist.. I do dailies, challenges, unlock all the perks and whatnot.. In other games, I do as many sidequests as possible before moving on with the main story (annoys some friends when we play online games, but hey, sidequests are usually what makes a game last longer than just rushing through the main story)

Still. As @Tunnel_Me_Please said, balance doesn't have to mean giving killers the short end of the stick.. YET AGAIN.. :/