Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Is intentionally killing yourself worthy of a ban?

BattleCast
BattleCast Member Posts: 698

Just asking because someone said they would reported me and then proceeded to harass me for killing myself and not escaping when I could have escaped.

Best Answer

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓

@Tunnel_Me_Please

As far as the Game Rules are concerned, no.

If a player is harassing you for it in post-chat, than you can report them in-game for "Harassment: Communications Abuse". Players have argued that DCing and dying on the hook (intentionally) is one in the same, but that's still being debated and isn't 100% clear at the moment. As far as I can see though, the Game Rules doesn't mention it as a bannable offense.

If you have any concerns about what is and isn't bannable, than don't be afraid to make another post to ask about it OR review the Game Rules post, i'll link below for you if you need it.

here's the link to the Game rules post

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19450/game-rules-and-report-system#latest

Answers

• Junebug
    Junebug Member Posts: 64

Unless it's for the purpose of giving the last survivor hatch escape, it's the same as DCing, so I don't see why it shouldn't be. Killer misses out on emblems, might have their obsession-based perk set foiled - survivors have to play with 3 from the start of the game. It sucks for both parties. If you play survivor, there's always a chance to pull something off. At least one of you can try to escape, bare minimum. There's no justification for survivor suicide or DCs.

• FireHazard
    edited March 2020

Well the difference between DCing and dying on the hook is that the Killer gets more valuable scoring than the former.

Let me explain, you can always get more brutality points from hitting a Survivor about 2 times... but sacrificial points are more important and harder to come by. If you let go on the hook, the Killer will get points for this in that category, which some players think is a lot better than the quitters bonus from a DC.

It's a tough debate to really pin-point if it's the same as DCing, since both follow the same concept of quitting from the match, but as I said above it's not 100% clear at the moment. Should it be bannable? That's hard to say... DCing has it's own system to take care of that, suiciding on the hook doesn't.

So the question still remains, should it be bannable in-general? That's not really something I can personally answer i'm afraid. At the end of the day, it's still something that has to be decided by BHVR, if they haven't already that is.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    edited March 2020

You didn't provide many details, but even so, under the circumstances you described, there's no infraction that transpires.

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698

I played it like a normal game until both exit gates were open and everyone was safe. Even if im considering killing myself, I always make sure the others get a fair chance at survival.

The whole reason I even killed myself was because the others were bullying the killer and I felt really bad because I have been in similar situations when I play killer and it never feels good to get bullied.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
  • BeHasU
    BeHasU Member Posts: 830

So how do you know they are killing themselves? Maybe they just wanted to unhook themselves then missed the button for struggle *Kappa*

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237
    edited March 2020

Itentionally killing yourself on a hook to dodge the DC penalty will count as a normal kill in the devs' statistics. Thats probably the most prominent reason "killers are mad at hook suicides".

The whole suicide for hatch thing... I think its not bannable but still a controlled ragequit. And since it's most likely abused by swf on comms, it shouldnt be possible.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

No

It's your choice

• FireHazard
    edited March 2020

If that's the case than no, you're fine.

If you were talking about being downed in the first 30 seconds and than dying on the hook, than that's where the debate begins on whether it's the same as DCing or not. If you intentionally died on the hook to make the Killer feel better, than that's your choice. Even if you did it in the first 30 seconds of the match, it's still not bannable as far as the Game Rules are concerned.