"I Payed Money!" Is Not An Excuse

So, as of late, there has been a rampant rise within the Killer community of tunnellers and campers. This has been the case ever since the Ruin rework. To me, there is zero justification of this behaviour.

I could reasonably see it back when Dying Light was based on the Obsession dying, and I can sympathise with camping out someone who's done nothing but flashlight and teabag you for a majority of the game. Delete them so they can't be toxic. Ruin their game since they ruined yours. It's ok.

However, I have payed money for this game too. I've bough a physical and digital copy for Xbox, purchased every DLC except for Ash and Leatherface, and even bought some Auric Cells for some cosmetics. So, why is it acceptable for YOU to tunnel or camp, gen-rush, teabag and flashlight at pallets, abuse perks like NoED and Borrowed Time, drag me back during EGC just to see the Entity kill me when I'm the last one alive and try to justify it with "I payed money for this game, I should get to play how I want."

Guess what, genius. I'VE PROBABLY PAYED MORE MONEY THAN YOU!

I don't gen-rush you deliberately, I don't know god-loops that well, I don't bring in any items and the only meta perks I run are Balanced Landing (if you can still call it meta), and Decisive Strike to deal with actual tunnellers on ONE of my two main builds.

I don't face-camp or tunnel you, I don't use only Billy's saw, I give you a free farming session if two of your idiot teammates DC early on you!

I show a level of common courtesy to everyone else. Mutual respect, until you show me that I should do otherwise. So, why is it not reciprocated, huh? I'm not an entitled player, or salty for asking that maybe we could have a mutual understanding of each other.

So. I'll say it one more time. This is not an excuse to forgive your abhorrent behaviour. We ALL payed money for one thing or another in this game.

Yes this is basically an angry rant, but enough is enough. I'm over hearing this dumb excuse. This isn't a free-to-play like Fortnite, so there should be zero reason to say this.

And to all those who think they can justify saying this, you are lying to yourself. I don't even want comments on this. Just for people to read and understand what I'm saying.

Comments

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

Hoo boy, I get that you're upset but the game is designed to be mean, even unintentionally.

Killer emblems reward hurting survivors and not letting them heal as well as getting multiple hooks. This ranking system encourages killers to tunnel off the hook to "win". As for camping, if there was no other survivor nearby they saw and nobody is looping them near you, it's just another playstyle and no matter how boring it is, they're entitled to it as much as anyone is entitled to play a particular killer.

For the "gen rush" survivors have nothing to do except gens. Sure, totems exist but survivors usually ignore them.

The matchmaking in order to give you a challenging experience is designed to punish you. You do well as a survivor? Then it'll match you with killers that are certain to ruin your victory streak and crush you into the mud. You do well as a killer? Then it'll match you with M.I.T graduate repairmen that can finish 3 generators in a minute.

I get what you mean when you feel like you want to pull your hair out, but that's just the way DBD is designed. Matchmaking will keep giving you higher walls to climb over until suddenly you can't.

A lot of people, particularly killers must be leaving or something because whether I'm at rank 13 as a killer or rank 10 almost half of all my survivors are red rank. The game's just not in a healthy state right now.

If anyone tries to use the "I paid for this so I can do whatever I want excuse" be content in that if that's their excuse they probably don't have any other excuses and are just a jerk.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

The excuse is just appearing too much now. I'm fine with going against good killers who understand a character, perk builds and add-on combinations. I'm ok with going against survivors who can do their objective effectively.

I understand that DbD is unfair by design, I accept it and I enjoy it. I've played Warhammer 40k for 10 years, after all.

What I can't stand are the toxic people who justify their pathetic existences with this hot garbage of an excuse.

• PigMainClaudette

Yes, yes, yes, no because I don't tunnel, no because I don't play Clown.

I'll never reach red on killer, because of time constraints, especially with COVID-19 and shutdowns affecting work, meaning I'm working WAY more than usual, I don't have every perk on every killer, and I have enough stress in my life.

• PigMainClaudette

At higher ranks, and as someone who doesn't cater to a meta and play some of the "more powerful" killers, no. I haven't versed that 4-man. The highest rank I have been on killer is 8, and that was mainly playing Pig, with some old Doctor and a fair bit of Spirit thrown into the mix. Aaaaand that was also before the Freddy rework.

I have a lot to balance within my life, and this game is more of a casual thing for me. I stopped doing ranked modes in other games because of the rampant toxicity within them. Last thing I need after a stressful day working in liquor retail is for some smarmy pre-teen to tell me to suck it up after he face-camped me because he "payed money for the game". I just want to do my Archives, and have some casual fun.

And I go out of my way to make sure that I go after the person who unhooks, never the unhooked. Somehow I find it more fun to spread the damage. Then again, Reverse Bear Traps are also a good indicator as to who I should be leaving alone.

• PokemonGOPlayer
    PokemonGOPlayer Member Posts: 179

I get what you are saying but why would the other side care about you when they don't know anything about you?

Unless you are including hackers, I don't think most people this forum calls "toxic" would even feel the need of justifying their actions, they want to play that way and the game allows it.

In this game like in many others the strong options feel unfair compared to the others but due to the party game nature of this game many people want you to play fair or by some kind of set of rules. There's no gentleman agreement, play however you want and care about your fun first, this is how the game works right now.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

I can respect that play style myself, because I no longer care about rank.

But those that do still have every right to play how they want. I used to rage about these tactics as well. However I now just accept it as part of the game, send em a gg, and move on.

Is it frustrating at times, sure. But it is a game, and your right some times your opponent is a 12 year old .

And you haven't played killer since freddy rework? It is a different game with the no heal meta. Games are gone so fast. I honestly don't understand how killers can play for hours at a time.

• CronaWins
    CronaWins Member Posts: 650

Tunnelling and camping is part of the game.

The objective of the killer is to kill all survivors. This means by any means necessary.

Doesn't matter how much money you spend on the game.

• ZaKzan
    ZaKzan Member Posts: 544
    edited March 2020

actually it doesn't matter what you think or what any non-dev thinks about the matter, it only matters what the devs think about it since they are ultimately the ones who allow the behavior.

here's a really good video on a bit more of a broader subject, but related.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187

The only time I think camping is a necessity is when the end-game collapse has begun and you haven't hooked anyone yet.

• PigMainClaudette
    edited March 2020

Here I thought that it was to protect generators. Funny how that style of gameplay has helped me WAY more than trying to find survivors.

Edit: I had points for both sides. How about the teabagging and flashlights?

• Ghostwithaface
    Ghostwithaface Member Posts: 594

Heck, sometimes the survivors create a lovely three gen for you. Muahahahhaha. Yeah i don't find tunneling or camping, to be a very effective plan for the killer. If their idea is to just stare at the person on hook until they die. That normally leads to few blood points and at least three people escaping, if not all of them. Depending on how the survivors play their card. Since all you are doing is just giving the other survivors a lot of time to do gens and stuff. Since everytime so far i seen a killer just stare at their victim until they died. It normally leads to one of two outcomes. Everyone dying trying to save the person or three if not all of the survivors escaping.

• PigMainClaudette

It's not even just not tunnelling or camping, which are the most boring things to do as a killer, I literally only patrol gens until I find someone. If I feel like I've been led on, then I'll ditch.

As a Pig main, I've had to adapt to be smarter than survivors. I'M the apex predator in this match, and the survivors are invading my territory.

Funny thing is that I was going to do a thread saying how with all the "bad" tutorialisation in this game, that the killer's REAL objective is to protect generators, rather than just kill survivors, but then someone presented this argument in another thread and I just snapped against it.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

I think the biggest rift is that DBD is 2 seperate games. For survivor its a party game lets have fun with friends and relax. With killer, who has no friends in game, it is not a fun party.

Survivors can meme around, do their objective, have basement dwelf parties and still escape. Killers are sweaty try hards when their main objective is to kill people. Devs say balance is 2 kill 2 escape. Thats a tie not a win.

Besides even if 3 of your team gets out you as survivor don't consider it a win, most times, if you are the one that dies.

As killer, or life in general, who plays to to tie? I don't want to tie. I want to win.

Not saying I endorse any of the behavior you described. For killer anyway. Slugging tunneling and STRATEGIC camping are sometimes the best way to complete their objective. Much like toolboxes and flashlights and so-called 2nd chance perks are the survivors best way to complete theirs.

• Mo4ntus
    Mo4ntus Member Posts: 416

I dont really see many unfair players at high rank survivor but also its not like anyone really gives common courtesy very often survivors defiantly will go out of their way to ruin a killers game too . Honestly I feel like being at high ranks makes me into more of a salty ######### too I like barely give hatch any just because its on my mind that if I dont 3k im going to get entity displeased

• CronaWins
    CronaWins Member Posts: 650

I don't mind teabagging and flashlights. A noise spam and an animation spam isn't something to get upset about imo.

• GhostofYharnam
    GhostofYharnam Member Posts: 597

Sad thing is thats the menatlity of alot of people i see on games nowadays. Griefers and jackasses always using the excuse i paid money blah blah blah.

• PigMainClaudette

It's like I said. It's no excuse since just about all of us did.

And I've probably spent more money than them. On sale this game was still a bit over $30 Aus on Xbox, with DLC about $15 Aus per chapter.

• ApeOfMazor
    ApeOfMazor Member Posts: 471

Honestly stop there is no common courtesy ######### is with these made up rules and ethics you people want to enforce. Get on the devs to increase gen times, get on the devs to remove 2nd chance perks. Get on the devs to bring balance to the game and you will see camping and tunneling go down.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

To play devil's advocate for a moment, under their reasoning, pointing out the fact that you also paid money for the game doesn't undermine their point at all. By their logic, anyone who paid money for the game is entitled to play however they want, meaning that you get to play how you want (respectfully) and they get to play how they want (disrespectfully).

Personally, I think you're absolutely right, but it comes down to what system of morality you subscribe to. If you believe that morality is objective, things like sportsmanship and common courtesy make perfect sense. But you'll never convince someone who believes that they have no obligation to the people around them unless they receive something from them first to adhere to those kinds of values, because it doesn't make any rational sense according to their worldview.

• PigMainClaudette

Made up rules? I'm asking people to not drive each other away from the game. I am ASKING people to not go out of their way to ruin my day further than the rest of the world already is. I am ASKING that people stop using the dumbest excuse imaginable which is completely countered and debunked by other player's existence.

And it's not the DEVS fault that you have to try and ruin the game for others because "lack of balance". That's purely on you.

• PigMainClaudette

If they'd stop saying "I payed money, I can play how I want" with "I'm an ######### who doesn't care about other human beings due to my own selfish entitlement", then I wouldn't have to say this.

This isn't about their mentality, this is about the excuse they're giving.

• ApeOfMazor
    ApeOfMazor Member Posts: 471

You are asking people to use inefficient strategies based around some code of ethics. I dont ever see such a thing in other multiplayer games. The sad thing is in almost all these posts its always skewed against killers to the point we just laugh at you for your made up rulebook.

Will people leave the game? Sure and thats a good thing. The sooner they see people leaving the sooner devs will finally realize they need to buckle down and rework a lot of things. Many killers are leaving. I barely play anymore compared to what I used to.

Tunneling isnt trying to ruin the game for others, its trying to win. Taking out a person early is a HUGE advantage and makes more sense than chasing down a healthy person because survivor rule book says so.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

My point is, they give that excuse because of their mentality. They don't see it as being a jerk or not caring about other human beings because of the way they perceive morality. What they're basically saying is "everyone has the right to do whatever they want if it makes them happy". I personally disagree, but that's why they make excuses like that, and why they think those excuses are legitimate.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

Tunneling and camping, while obviously not fun to have done to you, is fair game. Suck it up.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

Lately camping has been the only way to slow down matches against swfs

It's not a fun tactic but it's something that works

• BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131

Well , everyone paid money for to play (except the ones who got it free), so pretty much everyone can play the way they want unless it's against the dev's rules. That means some people play like ######### and it's not against the rules.

• GhostofYharnam
    GhostofYharnam Member Posts: 597

I feel you. I bought it on ps4 with all the dlc up to Stranger Things. Then i switched to xbox and bought all the dlc minus the paragraphs. Ive bought a few cosmetics as well

• Dr_doom_j2
    Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 869

Friend, you should relax.

We need to stop this nonsense of thinking hat everything someone does in this game is a personal attack. In the context of the game, you were just another Survivor, and he was just another killer. He didn't see piggy Claudette and say "######### that guy" he said "there's another survivor who's playing well, better get him out of here"

In the same way you will say "oh, there's a killer, better run to this well placed loop and waste time/break LOS, maybe teabag if I feel myself a bit".

It's a game, and as much as I've gotten caught up in the hysteria as well, I think this pandemic situation helped me to realize how impersonal and unimportant in the grander scheme this whole killer vs. Survivor B's is. It's a game and people will play the way they want to, and we should all be ok with that, not be judgemental about the way folks play. The same things we have fun doing cause annoyance on the other side no matter what, to whatever degree. We know the nature of this game, and even if it is imbalanced and aggravating, it's still fun to play until that point.

So let's stop the game shaming, it's getting childish at this point, and we're all pretty much guilty of it but it should just stop.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632
    edited March 2020

I can admit to probably paying more money than everyone else to chat on this post.

Ash - Every Cosmetic

Dwight - Every Cosmetic (Excluding Re-skins)

Nancy and Steve - Every Cosmetic

Nea - Three Full Cosmetics + Some Parts

-----

Huntress - Every Cosmetic (Excluding Re-skins)

GF - Every Cosmetic

Nurse - One Cosmetic

Demogorgon - One Cosmetic

Legion - Two Cosmetics

-----

All of Dwight's outfits are a lot of money.

• Deathslinger
    Deathslinger Member Posts: 570

These topics remind me about that ‘certain play style’, in every game, that certain people of a community seriously hate on, but are not actually any more terrible then the other perks/strategies in this game.

Like watching the aggressive attackers verbally fighting it out against the slow methodical campers, in a shooting game.

Its a strat. Don’t like it, don’t do it. Don’t want to risk running into it, stop playing. Wanna be prepared for it, run the perks meant to specifically hurt that strat.

Honestly I rather have the face camper do his thing then having to worry about a killer disrupting me and my wonderful M1 gameplay.

Also this game was free for a time on ps4 so...some people never paid money for this game.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

An amusing read.

7/10

• inferjus
    inferjus Member Posts: 479
    edited March 2020

"I spent money on this game so you should respect me". No my friend, that's not how it works.

• Raccoon

Imagine trying to control how people play a game when it's within the game's rules.

It's like peeing into the wind @_@

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    edited March 2020

Oh, so killers doing their objective as fast and efficiently as possible has zero justification. That's some entitled rank 21 survivor mentality right there.

• toxcitynacl
    toxcitynacl Member Posts: 464

Then abuse them back. They want to play games...return the favor.

• PigMainClaudette

I love how I have killer sided examples in there and you jump on the survivor main bandwagon.

• PigMainClaudette

I'm saying ditch this excuse and give me the real reason.

I onow I can't change people. I'm saying that "I spend money, I can play how I want" is a completely invalid excuse since just about everyone did.

• Raccoon
    edited March 2020

Well, just about everyone is wrong.

Once someone owns the game, they're free to play however they want for whatever reason they want, so long as it is within the ToS/Rules.

• SurviveByDaylight
    SurviveByDaylight Member Posts: 720

Man, and people complain because DS lasts too long. They want 30 seconds instead of 60. I think it needs 60 plus being made available EVERY time you get off the hook. I don’t want to come in the game and look at myself on a hook the whole game or get Mori’d right after I’ve been unhooked because the killer faked going away from the hook by billy/spirit phasing out and billy/spirit phasing back 😂 I don’t know if that’s really fair considering the fact that I didn’t get a chance to run away. And ebony Mori denies DS. It denies your ability to play a game you’ve paid for. Regardless of how much I don’t think it’s realistically fun for your fan base to queue up for a match and have it stripped from you that fast. Killer should have to hook EVERYONE once first imo before mori anyone. Just dirty players out there 😂 I don’t think hook camping benefits anyone. But if you’re gonna make DS a one time use it should at least be an easier skill check lol I want two uses just like the brand new part gets two hard skill checks! It’s not about me getting a free stun on a killer, it’s about letting me continue to play the game if a teammate is taking the time to pull me off the hook rather than do objectives. the killer should feel encouraged more to get other people.

• SurviveByDaylight
    SurviveByDaylight Member Posts: 720

You’re wrong. SWF will communicate that your hook camping and gen rush you. 1/4 isn’t in the killers best interest

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

ok but to be fair the ds + head on combo makes the survivor lose distance, so its kinda good for the killer when it happens

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

But if that happens it means you can use noed on them

soo either way you win

• sduster
    sduster Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2020

You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, OP, and I won't have it!! Is that clear?! You think you've merely stopping some toxicity. That is not the case. The Devs have taken billions of Bloodpoints out of this game, and now they must put it back! It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity! It is ecological balance!

You are an old man who thinks in terms of roles and gamers . There are no roles. There are no gamers. There are no Survivors. There are no Killers. There are no Events. There is no Toxicity. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of in game currency. Bloodpoints, Iridescent Shards, Auric Cells, and Rift Fragments.

It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of choices in this game. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and YOU WILL ATONE!

Am I getting through to you, OP?

You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about Balance and Toxicity. There is no Balance. There is no Toxicity. There is only Bloodpoints and Iridescent Shards and Auric Cells and Rift Fragments. Those are the Balance of the game today.

What do you think the killer mains talk about in their discord channels -- Game Theory? They get out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments, just like we do.

We no longer play a game of roles and balance, OP. The game is a college of in game currency, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business. The game is a business, OP. It has been since the idea crawled out of the devs mind slime. And our children will play, OP, to see that perfect game in which there's no call for balance or reporting, ranking system or toxicity -- one vast and ecumenical game design company, for whom all men play their games, in which all men will hold in game currency, all necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

I think that is a pretty legitimate reason. I'm not one to purposely play like a jerk most of the time, but they paid money, and they're doing things that are within the rules of the game. If you have a problem with them being a jerk then fine, but if they paid the money they can play the game as long as they follow the rules. It's not hacking or anything.

• PigMainClaudette

So 23 is old age? Cool cool.

And no. You're not getting through. I'm over some smarmy brat sayong that they're entitled to ruin the entire thing for four times as many people who ALSO payed.

You wanna talk numbers? 4:1, ratio of survivors to killers. Four times as many people spending money on one side. 1, number of players that can just delete evetyone else out of a game and get away with it. 0, number of true solutions offered up to solve these problems by the devs. 0, the amount of repercussions for these players. 0, the number of survivors that will stick around if this behaviour keeps up.

0. The amount of money that will be made if one side completely leaves the game.

So. Let's talk business and numbers.