Why is Freddy such a brain dead killer?

Options

I have played him a few times and he literally just has to just spam his snares to get a free down, once a survivor is down teleport to a gen and use pop, rinse and repeat. When playing against him you feel like you can’t really do anything (at least you can dodge deathslingers shots) not mention he counters borrowed time which is nice but you can easily Camp and tunnel with him. The other killers you have to learn their power very well to get better with them. As for Freddy it feels like they over did his power. Not to mention his add ons with thana and dying light can be fun to do but complete aids to go against. It kinda makes me miss old Freddy. What do you guys think of Freddy?

Comments

• TheBatJesus
    TheBatJesus Member Posts: 36
    Options

He has alot going for him imo. Forever Freddy was the worst tho. So at least thats kinda gone.

• Shocktober
    Shocktober Member Posts: 678
    Options

You should see him tunneling with black box and dead man's switch. Use DS? Well, now you are permanently asleep and will be hitting snares the second you get off the hook.

The OG strat with old freddy was to tunnel off the obsession with remember me + dying light and the black box; but this new combo is just as bad.

• Kakateve
    Kakateve Member Posts: 287
    Options

And that’s what makes Clown a ######### tier killer who’s never played. We need more killers like Freddy and Spirit who can actually do well. You complainers probably don’t play killer much or all.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

I'd prefer that we get more interactive and fun killers that also have a high skill cap so they are more rewarding to improve on. Something like Billy or Nurse(if she was fun to play), something that can be rewarding to counter and not feeling like the same thing every chase. But it also should be strong and give the killer the tools to manage the objectives and pressure the survivors.

• evilwithinIII
    evilwithinIII Member Posts: 154
    Options

Freddy isnt a braindead killer at all. Every killer takes skill to play. And it isnt bad for the game to have easy killers. Yes the slowdown build is boring, but he has a lot of fun builds to use. Like dreams pallets are fun and unique. I really wished the dream pallets were base kit and you need An add-on for the dream snares.

• Kakateve
    Kakateve Member Posts: 287
    Options
  • BabyCameron10
    BabyCameron10 Member Posts: 949
    Options

He kinda is, he feels handicapped. Maybe that’s why Freddy has a high kill rate. Out of all the killers, Freddy takes little to no skill to play. Slap BBQ with Pop to find survivors and slow the game down, STBFL to make loops even shorter and Corrupt to give you more time to set up traps or pallets.

• Shocktober
    Options

I don't care what you think, you already think Freddy is fine as he is.

This has gotta be the easiest to execute, hardest tunneling build that exists in the game outside of an ivory or ebony. They got rid of the old remember me + dying light specifically because of how unhealthy these builds are....but then added them right back in.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

Many tiles can actually be shut down with just one, sometimes two snares, with the correct placement. The reality is that many Freddys, even at red ranks, simple spam them because there's no downside to it. In that sense, there's no skill cap to Freddy, because there's essentially no difference in reward between optimal and sub-optimal (even non-optimal) play. For the rest, he has built-in everything for the simple fact of existing. Slowdown, semi-stealth, tracking, camping, etc. I don't know why bhvr reworked him by overloading and overtuning. It might have been a reaction to the fact he was criticized as being the weakest killer in the game, or they were simply pushing for profit from a licensed character. He has barely a skill floor and the highest reward for it of any other character. The rank 1 with the lowest amount of hours I have ever seen had 148h and played exactly like you described.

That's not how looping works, not even when the killer chases like a rank 20. If survivors manage to loop you by holding W, then I guess we know how to weigh your opinion.

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656
    Options

This is why he has (or had) the highest kill rate. Try getting a map where all three of the last gens are only 2-sided. Trap on every side. Nothing gets done. It's mind numbing. And the BT counter is terrible and definitely promotes camp/tunnel. I don't find him the worst killer to go against, by far, but I dont exactly look forward to him either. LOL

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

I think Freddy would be fine if his anti-loop actually took some amount of thought.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

I agree. Like I said, the main problem is how easy it is to use his ability, without requiring much skill. I don't mind going against very powerful killers if both playing as them and going against them requires skill. Freddy lacks both imo.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

Ok. Just because I killer plays slightly differently to the rest of the cast doesn't make them braindead. You can play him like Trapper with his snares, which is what I do a majority of the time, but you also get the added bonus of not having to pick them up and can try to shut off long loops or infinites by either snaring them for a hit or psyching them out into running off. Maybe most people aren't just big brain enough to enjoy Freddy, like how Hag players spam traps at hooks.

If we want to talk about braindead killers, how about something like Infinite Tier-III Myers, or even Tombstone Myers, Insta-saw Bubba and Billy or Hook-Trap Hag.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

If you think the regular Hook-Trap spamming hag is bad, you should go against the Mint Rag + Rusty Shackles + Make Your Choice build sometime lol. It is one of the most annoying builds to go against in the entire game.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

I've faced enough Hags who just go after me after they place at least 3 traps virtually at my feet. I don't need to add Rag/Shackles to that list too. Just seeing a Hag makes me want to DC more than Hillbilly or Leatherface, and I hate those two more.

• Shocktober
    Options

Infinite tier 3 / tombstone myers can both be trapped in tier 1 for a long time against a good team. Tombstone grabs are super finicky on dedicated servers, and can be countered by jumping into a locker.

Instasaw bubba and billy both can be looped, unlike Freddy. Freddy can also ignore BT alot of the time, and can drop DS straight onto snares.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

Point was for them is that they largely require one hit with a braindead approach. And there is nothing less satisfying than having a Myers stalk you for 0.2 of a second, then killing you instantly.

• Shocktober
    Options

They both require so much stalk that it's alot of your teams fault. Sure, it's dumb that myers can come over, stalk you for 2-3 seconds, and then pop perma tier 3 on you. But it's not any less dumb than having a Freddy teleporting onto your generator to regress it like 3 times in a row because your team is getting bodied. Or Oni / Plague popping their power on you when you haven't seen them all game. Or legion getting a free stab on you because your team was nearby and got spotted, etc etc.

I've had games where myers comes over to me at the start of the game, and im at a jungle gym or the shack, and he just loses the game right there because by the time he realizes that im not letting him stalk me for free, 2-3 gens are 50% done already.

Freddy is a BP machine in addition to being so strong, so with BBQ you can be running ridiculous builds on him often as well. Every game is like 40-50k, up to 80-90k with a pudding; so every game is almost a bloodweb. And every bloodweb usually has 2-3 of: mori's, black wards, strong purple add-ons, ultra-rares, or cheesy killer-sided maps.

• Shocktober
    Options

Compare that to tombstone myers where your pretty expensive tombstone build, which can't really afford to run BBQ against good players, is going to be getting you like 11-12k points. But a Freddy Ultra rare game will be getting you the 50k or more with BBQ.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

Well, I generally don't consider BP gains as a sign of a killer's worth, as it can be manipulated with perks such as BBq. And while, yes, Tombstone Myers is incredibly expensive, it's a far more braindead approach than trying to set up snares or believable pallets as Freddy.

I'm also the type of player that believes that the individual shouldn't be overly punished for the errors of the TEAM in this case. I shouldn't be deleted because I can run someone and hide, but my team can't. If I get beaten by a Freddy, I KNOW that they are simply a better killer than I am survivor. Or they found the hatch and I didn't get a gate in time. They didn't get carried by a stupid add-on that removes 90% of gameplay.

If I do go against a Tombstone Myers (and yes this happened), avoid him at all costs but he catches wind of me. We're already two minutes into the match, I've done some totems to avoid the possibility of NoED, so I've only done one generator. I chase him through the Cowshed, disappeared with Dance with Me, Lithe and Q&Q. Doubled back to throw him off, but must have realised. Hid behind a tree, he found me, I tried to run, popped Tier-III, grabbed me and I was dead. My total gains? Bit over 5k bloodpoints and a de-pip. Maybe 6k. I was too annoyed at my idiot team to notice. He did nothing but stalk, and get ONE HIT to kill me. Only intelligent bit of gameplay was reading through my double-back.

Against a Freddy, though, there is still mind-gaming at loops, proper snare/pallet placement, correct teleportation and all that usual killer stuff.

• deadbyhitbox
    deadbyhitbox Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

"Against a Freddy, though, there is still mind-gaming at loops, proper snare/pallet placement, correct teleportation"

The Freddy doesn't need to have proper snare placement because there is no punishment for spamming them. That's the point, the player doesn't need to utilize any knowledge they may learn as Freddy, because they can just mindlessly spam away.

• Shocktober
    Options

It's more the fact that he can always be running good add-ons or mori's. Myers can't, nor is BBQ very optimal on low mobility killers. It's especially bad on tombstone since ideally you are not even hooking 2-3 of the survivors.

Myers can be looped, Freddy you literally spam snares as you walk and that's enough to shut down anything that is not a god-pallet. Tombstone Myers requires minutes to build power against a good team, ultra rare Freddy steps into the game and can start spamming snares from second 0.

"Correct snare placement" is ridiculously easy, and not really even needed with enough spam, as well as "correct teleportation" aka just teleporting to the gen people are working on with BBQ so you can pop it. The only real mindgames with Freddy are teleporting to a gen in front of someone during a chase.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

I did say this earlier, but that's like placing Hag traps near a hooked survivor. It's a braindead way to play, but it is effective. There are ways of playing Freddy, or ANY killer that isn't completely mindless. If there is a way to not play into the killer's wishes in that way, then I'm sorry, but it's up to survivors to find and utilise that method.

Some of these, though, cannot simply be a "survivor deal with it" issue such as the Hag hooks and I accept that. I don't see snare-spam anywhere and I've played Freddy closer to Trapper with very pleasing results.

This might be an issue though of the community perception of a strong killer simply being ease of a 4k (which Freddy can certainly do!) compared to the devs caring more about the emblem system.

• deadbyhitbox
    deadbyhitbox Member Posts: 1,117
    edited April 2020
    Options

He could still be an effective killer even if his snares received a small cooldown. Snare spam is devoid of any skill, and almost makes a survivor's skill in a chase meaningless. Almost every strong killer has some sort of drawback to their power in a chase that forces the player to become better so that drawback becomes less noticeable. Freddy doesn't have that. It's as simple as giving him a 2.5-3 second cooldown in between his snares. It would make the player have to have experience with his power to utilize it effectively.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416
    Options

Not everyone plays Killers like Freddy or Spirit just because they want a ,,easy game".

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752
    Options

Freddy needs a limit to how his snares work

being able to spam them without a reload of some sort makes Clown and Trapper look even worse

• Magikazam
    Magikazam Member Posts: 182
    Options

Freddy delete any kind of mindgame,so people are mad about him. But when spirit turn the whole chase into mindgame,people hate it too. Next step will be a witch hunt agains any non M1 killer.

• cipherbay_
    cipherbay_ Member Posts: 379
    Options

Nearly everyone in this thread is complaining that they can't outrun Freddy because sleep or snares when the reality of the game is that you aren't guaranteed an escape. If you drop a pallet and freddy chases you around. Try to waste as much of his time as possible so your team can work on gens. If you get down, your TEAM should hide in a locker so Freddy can't see with BBQ. They call him braindead but the reality is survivors don't want to use theirs.

• cipherbay_
    cipherbay_ Member Posts: 379
    Options

If you really think every pallet is meant to be broken that you are a bad killer. There are safe pallets and unsafe pallets for a reason.

• Shocktober
    Options

"I'm the killer, and I should be guaranteed a win because I saw the survivors!" Did you even see that clip I posted? What are you actually supposed to do against Freddy on a map like that? You just lose by default if he has a brain. Stealth is usually not a realistic option in DBD, so don't say that is the answer either.

Except Freddy turns 90% of the pallets in the game into unsafe pallets. He is one of the few killers in the game who can shut down god windows with his base kit, that's how strong his power is.

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575
    Options

As a survivor main I am unable to make any claims as to which killer is the best based on playing each of them. However, there is one thing I can say as a survivor main. The killer I most often go up against is Freddy, and no other is even close. To me that says either: 1) There are lots and lots of Nightmare on Elm Street fans so devoted to the franchise that they play Freddy no matter what - or 2) Freddy is the strongest killer in the game by a significant margin because I face him at least double the amount of times I face any other killer.

• Magikazam
    Options

I wont deny that Freddy is in a strong position in the tier list, but seeing a killer a lot don't mean they are strong. I barely saw any nurse back in the day when she was God tier.

• Shocktober
    Options

Then you must not have been playing at the high ranks because I saw nurse maybe every other game, if not more than that. She is still god tier, for those who invest the time into learning her.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

Imagine a antiloop killer being able to antiloop! Braindead op killer no skill required! REEEEEEEEEE

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,187
    Options

When i play freddy, i don't really spam snares. If anything, i use his traps like hag or trapper.

And also, you need to be really good with m1 killer to do well with him, especially with pallet freddy, where most of the time your power doesn't come into play.

Personally i prefer fake pallet than snares lol. You just put them down, and chase survivors with pure m1 skill.

• Shocktober
    Options

It's like loops are the only skillfull interactions in the game or something.

• Magikazam
    Options

Sound like someone played so much survivor he forgot most killer mechanic or something

• Shocktober
    Options

You gotta be kidding me. I play mainly killer, with plenty of survivor on the side. What makes a good survivor? How good they can hold M1 on gens? Or how good they can run the tiles? Please think before you speak.

• Magikazam
    Options

You said loop was the only skillfull interaction and you never specified it was for survivor side only. But I think my point stand, complaining Freddy require no brain cause he ignore any mindgame is a ######### thing to complain about when at the same time people cry that spirit does the exact oposite.