What's the deal with the Twitch hate?

I just started playing this game back in October (surv main) and I noticed a lot of my teammates had .ttv or TTV | names. I figured it was a good way to soft-advertise a bit so when I started streaming I did it too, but now I get a lot of hate for it. People on my team will throw or I'll get tunneled and talked down to in chat because I have a TTV username. I'm not really salty about it, those games go pretty quick so I can just find another one, but what's the deal? Did something happen that makes this community so anti-Twitch? What am I missing here?

Comments

• alphralphralphr
    alphralphralphr Member Posts: 36

Wow, really? That's absolutely wild. I definitely see where you're coming from if you do it more to spite toxic viewers rather than the streamer. Some folks are nuts I guess.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

If I see that they are streaming, I do go watch them, apologize then follow, if they are cool with it, if the streamer is a cool guy/gal l bring bps next time I see them, but yeah some viewers are just crazy and will call you anything because you were mean to the streamer

• alphralphralphr

That seems like a pretty positive trade-off.

When watching other streamers there's a lot of toxic streamers on both sides. I guess that's just the nature of some content for 'ya though.

Hate mail is toxic, bringing a Mori for a specific survivor isn't.

If I was playing Killer and noticed particular survivor was playing well or flashlighting the heck out of me I'd absolutely Mori them if I could. I don't want to deal with those things and if I could make quick work of them sooner rather than later I absolutely would. Moris are part of the game and the goal of the game is to win.

If you're a streamer, you're a player first, and if you're a player, you shouldn't let getting Mori'd get you down. It's just part of the game. Is it lopsided? Sure. This game is a lopsided game, and the items and add-ons each side chooses sways which side it lops to. That's just part of the fun.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

From personal experience, TTV usually means a bully squad. They do things with their buddies to get views, and the best way to do that is make a joke out of the killer, or even the solo on their team.

That's not always the case. I'm sure there are solo streamers out there looking to make a name for themselves, but I've gone against enough toxic streamers to not risk it. If I see a TTV, I've got a silent bell Wraith and mori with your TTV name on it.

• myersismydaddy
    myersismydaddy Member Posts: 232

I don't like people who advertise their Twitch or YouTube page in their name. It's dumb. Just do your thing, and if you're good at it the viewers will come to you. No need to point 1000 flashy signs at yourself to point out that you're a streamer. Plus that causes a lot of problems for your teammates, which brings me to my next point.

If I stumble upon a teammate with ttv in his name when I'm playing survivor, I honestly think about dodging it most of the time. That person is either going to get moried 1 minute into the game or we're all going to get streamsniped.

• alphralphralphr

Idk, having ttv in my name has gotten me a lot of viewers from my games and made me a few friends. It's not like it takes up any more space than other usernames. I can see why advertising in game chat would be annoying I suppose. I still do it if it's relevant to my gimmick though.

I can see why you wouldn't want to play with someone if they might get streamsniped, I wouldn't hold it against you to just dodge.

• xOMNISCIENTx
    xOMNISCIENTx Member Posts: 64

You can pick any username and you decide to out yourself by putting ttv. The killer can troll on your viewers and even watch the stream if you are live. ttv fans tend to have not much to do but escalate situations via chat and keyboards. I don't want to assume that these survivors will try hard, but its in the back of my mind. It just gives too much info before the game starts and it can be annoying seeing ttv on people's username like it's a cult thing. Just be yourself do your stream, don't try to advertise in the game. Posting your link in the chat is more than fine though. I like streamers, but ttv people are special in an awkward, more people are watching, way.

• OldHunterLight

For some reason whenever I play against a ttv swf duo/trio/squad the streamer has around 30-50 viewers, while it ain't much some people really seem to enjoy their content

• alphralphralphr

There's a lot of dbd streamers. From what I've seen the higher rank ones tend to have a lot more viewers. If you're playing in high ranks that probably makes sense. Also there's a lot of variety streamers that pop in and out in green ranks that have followings.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

I don’t personally do this, but I also really hate the fact that matches I’m in are streamed live and I can’t do anything about it. If I could opt out, I would - if I wanted my steam name out there I’d stream myself, but I don’t for that reason.

Plenty of times someone plays badly and gets hate mail from a streamer’s chat. People in this game really hate on certain players and will make a note of their name or bring moris for them when they see them or sandbag them, or just send them angry messages. It’s weird and I wish people would realise that everyone has bad games, people aren’t psychic, and even if they are just bad, being bad at a game isn’t a crime worthy of harassment.

But this is reality in 2020 so I usually just dodge if they advertise that they’re a streamer. I don’t see the point in being toxic.

• FFabeq
    FFabeq Member Posts: 530

It is toxic, using ivory mori, just for that one survivor is toxic

• caz_
    caz_ Member Posts: 218

Well i dont really care ttv or not. but from my experience most people who has the ttv on their names are ultra toxic so that could be the reason.

• theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998

Most of TTV's I've seen back in the day only played with their squads, always using most powerful perks and items, always being toxic to the killer.

It doesn't happen as often novadays but it still is a dead giveaway cause you know playing with 4 man group with only meta perks and items is so entertaining to watch.

• Shocktober
    Shocktober Member Posts: 678

Most of the people I actually watch never had TTV in the name, I just checked the profile after seeing a particularly good performance from them; and noticed they were also streaming.

• xEzekanarioX
    xEzekanarioX Member Posts: 378

I facecamp with bubba the TTV people. Id like to say "nothing personal m8" but it is lol xD. They usually want to play toxic.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,228

Confirmation bias. People have a few bad experiences with ttv squads and assume all of them are bully squads. They forget all of the ones that are just trying to play a normal game and advertise their channel in a super saturated category. Sure, nobody wants to be on the wrong end of a bully squad, but trust me, you look really pathetic to the chat when you mori someone off hook because ttv. It's beyond insecure.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I agree. I was in an swf group for a time that had a streamer, and it never were normal games. Because sitting on a gen for more than one gen is boring in a stream. So they would do a quick gen, and then had one runner around to run the killer while they run behind with a purple flashlight and head on or something to annoy the killer. Humiliation was one of the goals, meaning the comment about the killer while the stream was running was also very toxic.

And they had more than 2 viewers.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620

Well, most of the twitch users are... or toxic players or guys who try to be toxic and fail in the process. Sometimes I dodge the match if I see they're bringing the Nea with the puple hair since I know they usually mean no good. Specially if they're playing in a SWF, that's a big bad news for you as a killer. I was testing the PTB with Wraith... the worst thing I could have done. All of the four with meta perks and burning me. One of them was fixing gens and the other three were bothering me, on purpose.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

If I play survivor and I see .ttv I will likely leave that match. I have no wish to be part of someone else's broadcast entertainment. If I'm killer and see .ttv and the que is fast, I'll bail. If the que was long, I'll load a Mori. Again, I'm not playing to be part of someone else's attempt at profit/entertainment. I've seen enough streamers to know how they love to try and make other player's look bad. I'll help you get to the next batch of players by killing you off quickly. I have tons of mori's stored up because I absolutely hate using them. I only break them out for streamers.

Don't like it? Don't advertise your stream with .ttv in your name. I will usually check out your stream after the match and if you were a cool person, I might even apologize and make sure to get your name down so I don't do that to you again. That has happened only three times in my many years of playing.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

Most ttv are toxic, and to prevent them from being toxic you end their fun pretty quickly

Not the bets solution but it works, of course I feel bad when it's a innocent streamer but most of the times they are toxic, soo yea blame the 90% of dbd streamers that are toxic

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Oh, so to answer their question, people like you see TTV and automatically decide to grief/camp/tunnel that person.

Real ######### nice.

If you dont like messages, block them. Or understand that peoples words dont matter.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

I'm not 100% certain myself, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly because of a stereotype. I've experienced it a few times myself.

I feel there's a stereotype for TTV streamers that they're kind of "attention seeking" in a way, and thus will do things to try to get the killer's attention or annoy them. I guess what people would call trying to "bully" the killer. Often times, for example, if I see there's an obsession while I'm not running an obsession perk, and there's a TTV in my game, I'm assuming that that's a player that has Decisive Strike.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Personally just don't like twitches lol I wouldn't tunnel them but I try to make sure they don't escape in my game.

• OldHunterLight
    edited April 2020

Now I have msgs disabled, because I play on console, and people were able to spam mid match, imagine hearing the notification sound like crazy mid match and nothing you can do, unless you want to throw the match and disable it, giving the survivors like 2 free min to disable it midmatch, I don't have as much experience, been playing this game for 1 year, kept hatemails because it was fun to get hatemail in other games like dark souls but on dbd it is pretty damn annoying to get hatemails mid match, also I don't camp unless it's on the egc and I have nowhere to go

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

Most of them are toxic wannabe famous streamer.

• hanibel
    hanibel Member Posts: 164

Alot of people who use ttv in their name are mostly entitled people who think they should get a free pass on the match since their a streamer and if they dont get there way they rage like babys and blame streamsniping or lag and say their gonna report you

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

I don't go out of my way to mori them but I might change out of a killer I'm leveling to my main (wraith, doc) with strong add ons to give their potential viewers some fun.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

They just like coming up with some bs so they can act like jerks and get reactions ^

There's really no reason to treat them differently, some killers just want to feel "justified" in their "toxic behavior" or just get a laugh and ttv usernames are of the perfect rarity to do that every so often to feed their inner demons while not growing tired of repeatedly doing so.