What's the consensus on Dead Hard among Killers?

As a survivor main, I feel like if I'm not running one of the exhaustion perks I'm putting myself at a pretty huge disadvantage. Lately I've been running Dead Hard a lot because I feel like it adds a kind of mind-game to chases that other perks don't, and it's easily the most fun for me to use.

Browsing the forums, I've seen a lot of negative input about perks that I wouldn't have expected to see, and I'm curious to know where Dead Hard falls on that list.

To be clear, I'm not asking "Is Dead Hard fair", I'm specifically asking: When you're playing killer, is Dead Hard fun to play against? If you don't think it's fair and it's not fun to play against, if it was nerfed in some way but the idea behind the perk remained the same (I-frames), would you have fun playing against it?

Comments

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 778

I find it to be a totally legit thing i just have to take into account when chasing survivors. It feels bad when dead hard saves a survivor's hide from a mistake, but that's the point of dead hard, and as a killer it's on me to keep track of it and take it into account. It would feel just as bad if i made a mistake that let them get to another pallet. And in fact it can sometimes get you downs too. I remember very specifically a match where i knew if i waited for the dead hard, the survivor would be able to line themselves for a pallet, but if i lunged they would either not use it, cuz they were waiting to be lined up, or they would out-position themselves if they did use it. So i just went for the lunge and got the down.

For me, its just another very distinct movement mechanic in a game that is mostly quite lacking in those. I've always been a fan of dodging/sidestepping options in games so I like dead hard both as killer and as survivor.

• Sydraen
    Sydraen Member Posts: 102

Dead Hard is one of the better exhaustion perks for me to use as survivor and more fun to go against as a killer. Half the time if I see someone use up Sprint Burst I'll just leave them to it and find them another time when I know they're still exhausted as there is no point in chasing them when theyre sonic running away but with Dead Hard you know that the dash isnt going to be so big but also that they can do so much with it. It can give distance, prolonging the chase or completely derp them out into a wall which is always fun to watch. Its quite rewarding to have a good Dead Hard work for you or even against you as a killer which I feel like an exhaustion perk should be, unlike Sprint Burst which forces you to walk around the entire map or when you accidentally use it. :D

In short, I likey! :D

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237

Best exhaustion perk in the game, and completely balanced.

Although its annoying sometimes when they just about reach the pallet or window because of deadhard, but thats what the perk is supposed to do

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Well i am a survivor main, but i do play killer. During a chase it might enrage me for costing me a well deserved down in the hands of a skilled looper, but it never holds on for long. A lot of time its used to save the survivor from his own mistake, and then its pretty fair to me. It becomes problematic together with an swf squad and the phalanx of other second chance perks.

But all by itself, its fine.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

I don't know if there's a consensus on the subject, I can only give you my view. Dead Hard doesn't bother me at all. It's easy to deal with and, to use it to make distance correctly, their pathing needs to be on point, or all they accomplish is to delay the hit for 2 seconds.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

Completely fair and balanced, use it all the time in my main survivor build but love going against Survivors who know how to use it.

Wish they'll fix being exhausted on the floor soon though

• cipherbay_
    cipherbay_ Member Posts: 379

Its definitely balanced and fair, killers could just wait it out but skilled survivors who know how to use Dead hard to pallet to more loops are really good players.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

It's another annoying get-out-of-jail-free card, but it's not OP or anything. Just annoying.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I'm fine with it, it's pretty rare for that tiny boost to be enough distance for them to reach a Pallet/window.

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

strongest exhaustion perk, pushed the meta towards anti heal, gives survivors 3 extra hits every time, many times uncounterable, can easily extend loops... way stronger than it was originally thought.

but most survivors tend to say the perk is ######### just because they don't know even how to use it, because un-dedicated servers and because "you can bait it".

like, people said that it's stronger than old MoM, I'm not gonna say something like this, but it's way stronger, beyond the fair and balanced land.

• Stinde
    Stinde Member Posts: 459

It's usually okay and can be baited. Sometimes dead hard for distance can be annoying, but it is rare. But I think you shouldn't be able to dead hard over trapper's traps.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

I'm fine with DH. Old DH used to be broken before dedicated servers. Before you could literally time it as the killer swung so it was like a free escape. Since the servers it's damn near impossible to do that consistently. Once in awhile I might fall for it but as soon as I know X survivor is running DH I know to bait their exhaustion perk.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 604

DH has become too predictable - its nothing to worry about

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,291

Dead Hard is the only exhaustion perk that doesn't annoy me and where I feel I have a little control over dealing with in the chase personally. It's fun to use and play against and it has a bit of a skill curve to master so you're not predictable using it.

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318

It's extremely strong and versatile to the point where I would be ok with it being limited uses per match, considering it's invincibility during a chase.

If every single survivor is running it it's either something that should be basekit or nerfed, tired of seeing it x4 every game tbh.

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977

It doesnt work most of the time so its fair I guess.

• OBX
    OBX Member Posts: 854

As a killer main, I have no issues with dead hard. Don’t mind any of the exhaust perks really.

• magicmaster2020
    magicmaster2020 Member Posts: 499

I've had some one use it and accidentally run into me instead of away. I felt bad

• DelsKibara

Typically when Survivors do that, they are trying to bait you to swing a hit so they'll miss and allow them to go for a loop that's behind you.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

As a killer main, the only problem I have with the perk is when it's not being used as intended! Lot of survivors will use it to extend loops instead of using it to take a hit. People like to say "just bait DH!" Go fishing in grass and tell me if you catch any fish! The only other problem as a killer I have with DH is that it avoids trap.

Can't say much from a survivor POV simply because I don't run the perk!

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

"Dead Hard" got designed as a counter to old nurse. In the following years of dbd people figured out how to use it for distance (as a second chance without a counter) and for dodges/mindgames (you're cool when you use it like that). In my opinion DH is in a good spot, especially with the various dedicated hits (get exhausted on the ground).

• magicmaster2020
    magicmaster2020 Member Posts: 499

Usually even when that works about a couple seconds later they're down anyway. Also I've had people try to dead hard away from my shooting as deathslinger

• DelsKibara

It has worked sometimes for me as a Survivor because I use Dead Hard in all my builds, it's especially useful for getting out of the basement when the killer is nearby

• theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998

I don't like that it ignores trapper's traps but other then that it's fine.

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826
    edited April 2020

I find it interesting to play with and against. Especially as it removes collision deadharding through the killer is a heck of mind game sometimes, especially if done from outside the killers fov such as hiding around a corner and popping through them as they are looking for you. Just a brief flicker on the screen and they are gone. A bold but risky maneuver and just another mindgame in the arsenal. Hopping through a pallet lunge to lock the killer on the opposite side of the pallet then they expected to on. Mindgames are a big part of dbd and probably the best part so a mindgame tool that both players can really work around is fun. Some players really use it to it's full and it's just plain fascinating.

• LiunUK
    LiunUK Member Posts: 944

before when survivors used it to doge hits it was annoying but fair, i just had to remember the survivors who have it

but now most survivors use it for distance to extend loops by getting to the window or pallet which can reset the whole chase forcing the killer to do another round of looping the only killers that can deal with this are instant down killers who just skip injuring survivors or ranged killers who can hit through windows or pallets all other killers suffer a lot from this perk.

• MPGamer18
    MPGamer18 Member Posts: 124

I just started using it (over balanced landing) and it's OK when it actually works right. I used it last night in a match to save a teammate because no one else would and if I didn't do it, he would have died on the hook. I literally made it at the very last second to get them off the hook.

• Parallax
    Parallax Member Posts: 273

Dead Hard isn't a very big problem to me. It can just get really awkward as I slowly walk up to someone, trying to bait the dead hard.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Playing nurse against 4 dead hards makes me say very ugly words.

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285

I dont find many issues with it. I like it, as its an actual reactive exhaustion perk, and survivors need to use their brain to use it properly instead of braindead charging away with Sprint Burst.

If I miss a hit because of DH, its my own fault for not baiting it.

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550

For avoiding a basic attack? It's fine. For making distance and undoing mistakes at loops? It's overpowered. I have lost entire games because of dead hard being used like that. I was about to down someone at the exit gate two separate times in the same match and they just dead hard to safety.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

DH can be annoying. Survivors that t-bag at exit gate and then DH out to freedom is like they give the middle finger and then jam it in my eye.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

While it's definitely a second chance perk, no doubt about it, it's the only one that requires skill to use and isn't BS like "Heal a healthstate and also escape killer cause ######### you"

• OutcastEric
    OutcastEric Member Posts: 495

Actually its sprint burst but that's opinion. Truetalent is wrong haha. There is no way dead hard is better than sprint burst. Hillbilly, oni, michael, leatherface, and ghostface cant stop sprintburst. Plus sprint burst's only condition is that you dont have to be exhausted to activate. You have to be injured to use dead hard. Just bc everyone and their mother uses dh, doesnt mean it's the best

• OutcastEric
    OutcastEric Member Posts: 495

I've seen survivors dead hard through killers from behind going for a pickup animation just in time to turn around and get a flashlight save.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070

I don't have much of an issue with it. I feel it's balanced enough that when it gets me, it's my own fault for not predicting it

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

Mixed feeling tbh, I like the perk and I definitely don't want it to be nerfed but it can provide a lot of frustration when survivors use it to fix their mistake during looping that would otherwise result in a down. On the other side, it has many built in weaknesses so it's probably fine to let it be as it is.

I don't like the idea of nerfing one of the few kind of skill based perks that survivors have even when it can feel cheap to play against.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

absolutely hate getting skillful plays ruined by someone pressing E.

its a cool concept though and has a neat animation, i dont dislike it

• illusion
    illusion Member Posts: 887

I think it's fine, especially since it takes some skill to use it effectively. I think the only reason you see it mentioned negatively is that it is one of the clutch perks that many players always run, to the exclusion of other types of perks like aura perks or ones that can help them find totems, while they call for nerfs to killer perks that could be countered if they used those different perks..

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503

"I got mindgamed at this loop but I pressed the E key so the fact that the Killer outplayed me doesn't matter because now I'm at the pallet for free."

—Every Survivor's mindset when they use Dead Hard

• citron
    citron Member Posts: 78

the only second chance perk i hate is DS, the timer is way too long also it should deactivate when

-the killer hooks another survivor

-if you unhook another survivor, do gens, start to open gates/chests

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Most kilers here consider it ok and think it takes skill.

It surprises me tbh. I find it far more crutch than DS or BT

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

It's a crutch imo. Not op and no need to be changed but it does bail you out of your own mistakes which is being caught out of position.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

It can make chases feel more unique and interactive, and is pretty average in terms of power compared to other exhaustion perks. I'd see Head On gone before DH.

• Waffleyumboy

Undoing mistakes? Would Dead Hard not feel unfair if survivors never made mistakes?

• Waffleyumboy
  • Waffleyumboy

Why is it strong? 1 meter of extra distance per chase? That's maybe 1 extra loop if they're lucky. Seems like you're just mad.

• SmarulKusia
    SmarulKusia Member Posts: 819

from a killer and survivor perspective, I find the perk to be a waste of space. It is still glitchy and at times doesn’t work.

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550

If survivors never made mistakes? If survivors never made mistakes I probably wouldn't even injure them since I main the Pig. Dead Hard is just a get out of jail free card for when you mess up and it's just stupid. You don't have enough distance to make the vault because you were greedy? Dead Hard. The killer did a really good moonwalk and caught you in a position where you'll go down? Dead Hard. Everyone makes mistakes, so I don't understand the point of your question.