Valak a.k.a “The Nun”

SheWantsHymn
SheWantsHymn Member Posts: 7

I’ve been seeing and hearing this idea a lot lately, probably due to The Conjuring 3 coming out this year, and I would like to know what you, The Devs, as well as the community think about this.

The idea for The Nun is to have a “Nurse” type feel with unique powers a lot like Freddy, Ghost Face and The Hag. I’ll explain:

Her main power could be known as “Possesion” or “Possess” where if The Nun stalks a survivor for X amount of time, she has the ability to: A.) Take complete control of a survivor’s character while the actual player is stuck in a “dream world type” of state and gain the ability to inflict damage upon survivors, OR B.) Completely immobilize the survivor’s character, both options inflicting the survivor(s) in the “dream world type” state the inability to heal, repair, or sabotage. While in this state, survivors in the real world have a speed penalty towards healing, repairing, and sabotage speeds. The more survivors in the “dream world type” state, the greater the penalty. 1 survivor = 10%, 2 survivors = 20%, 3 survivors = 30%. If all survivors become possessed, all survivors will be inflicted with the dying state, and will instantly return to the real world. 

The second ability of The Nun can be known as “Pray” or “Prey”, as both fit. With this timed ability The Nun can enter a state where her physical body cannot move but her spirit can move and cannot damage survivors. In this state The Nun has no terror radius and cannot be seen and can see the auras of survivors within a 20 meter range and mark them if the killer preys long enough without being interrupted by obstacles or a flashlight, similar to the normal “stalk” power. Spine Chill can trump this ability, giving survivors time to move out of site earlier.

Killer perks haven’t been discussed yet but names from the movie for some are:

Oppression

Possession

Parasite

Wrath

“I Want Your Soul” (An Obsession perk)

Of course you can’t have The Nun without Ed and Lorraine Warren (R.I.P Lorraine Warren). 

Again perks haven’t really been discussed but some that go with the movie are:

Faith(A possible activation perk when there is 1 generator left)

”I’m Going With You” or “We’re In This Together”(Something that goes good with Mettle of Man)

”Exorcism” (Reward for escaping a chase of 60+/45+/30+ Seconds)

These obviously can be tweaked but all in all we all would love to see this in DBD. What do you guys think?

Comments

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
  • PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Okaaaaaaaaaay. So what then happens to the person possessed by Valak? Even though I don't recall her ever possessing someone in the Conjuring movies. And, no, I haven't got around to seeing The Nun yet. I have other things to catch up on. Do they just become passive viewers as you roam around in their body? Or is there some kind of struggle feature to try and exorcise Valak?

There are so many questions that come from a power such as this.

The Warrens would be cool Survivors to have in the game though.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

I agree with PigMainClaudette, there's so many questions to ask with this. Mostly, what happens to the survivors in that alternate state?

Also, that sounds way too OP. When all survivors are possessed, they all go into the dying state. So if she ends up stalking all survivors enough, then she just becomes Exodia practically and ends the game?

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

The problem with the Nun as a killer is that she is actually some kind of demon that took the form of a nun for... whatever reason IDK I never watched the movies just quickly skimmed the wiki. I'm not sure if the Entity would be cool with that. Yes Demo is in the game, but Demo is just a creature from another dimension not a demon or something kind of thing that could potentially rival the Entity. It's more of a dog let off the leash.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171

The Entity is more akin to a Lovecraftian Old One. It wouldn't be rivalled by something like a demon (I don't think? I'm sketchy on how strong the Nun is, but if it gets beaten by humans I can't think the Entity would be threatened by it).

That said, a demon would also probably be hard to control.

• SheWantsHymn

What happens is the actual player could be sent to a dream world, similar to Freddy, maybe the sky is actually black? During this time in this world you cant heal, repair or sabotage. I do really like the struggling idea. Maybe in this world you have a certain amount of time to try to exit this world, similar to The Pig and if you don’t find what you need or if your teammates don’t help soon enough, you enter the struggle phase? Or maybe once you’re possessed you have to struggle, only this time the struggle meter progresses and once 100% you gain control of your body? There’s a lot to do with this type of power but the idea of struggling is a very good one I must say.

• SheWantsHymn

Well maybe she can only stalk one survivor at a time and like Freddy with the choice of generator you want to teleport to, same goes for Valak with the choice of survivor she wants to try to possess.

• SheWantsHymn

Maybe in this case The Nun can be the Entity’s darkest angel (: She could be the closest thing to going against the actual Entity.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

Even then I feel like it could be very easily abused. While it's not the easiest task in the game, it's not exactly super hard to stalk multiple people with Ghostface up to 99% or so, even each of them has an individual bar or something. It's not exactly the same for Myers, because Myers "drains" the survivor while stalking to fill up his own power, while Ghostface fills up the bar on the survivors. If it was anything like Ghost Face's (where he can stalk a survivor to the point that it afflicts them with something, even individually) then it would be the most annoying thing to play against a Valak that just stalked everybody up to 99% and went Exodia mode and practically ended the game right there, if nobody had No Mither or Unbreakable.

I mean, I think the idea of stalking to disable somebody in a way, like a weird hybrid between Ghostface and Deathslinger, would be super creepy and fit the theme of DbD, but as I said you'd just have to be really careful with an ability like that. It does sound cool though.

• SheWantsHymn

Yeah I definitely get what you mean. There’s ways to work around it. I’d just love a killer that even SWF would be afraid to go against and The Nun would definitely even the playing field especially with this type of power. TBH she could be the Ultimate killer because an ability like Possession can open so many doors because of the similarities with the other killers all while having her own unique feel.

As far as the 99% you’re right. That’s why I was referring to something like Freddy’s teleportation ability. You can’t 99 it but it does make survivors try to hide and if Valak gets the 100% only then should the Possession begin. However if not that survivor could be marked for a certain amount of time, and while marked maybe the survivor could experience something similar to the old Hex:Ruin for maybe 60 seconds, where it gives them trouble doing gens. The possibilities are endless.