The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is this forum moderated or not?

Baphomett
Baphomett Member Posts: 394
edited August 2018 in General Discussions
First rule of the forum:
"Do not insult, harass or flame other forum members".

And yet every thread with more than 2 replied is full of insults and flames.

Certain people are constantly throwing insults and ad hominem attacks on every thread they participate in (we all know who they are).

This forum has become so toxic it is absurd.  Even the most reasonable and civil discussion is almost immediately derailed by someone jumping in with some snarky, salty insult or a tantrum rant.

Why would anyone new want to come and participate?  Where the hell are the mods and why we do we have to put up with this when we want to discuss the game?

Comments

• Beverly
    Beverly Member Posts: 184

I think if many people report something it begins to show on their radar. One guy that was being a jerk and told me to go hang myself got banned in about a day. The thread he did this in was also pretty popular so I'm guessing that helped speed up the process a little. One of those classic "DOCTOR OP" ones.

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000
    Yes it is.
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

I think it's gotten better since they got @MandyTalk and @Peanits in and yes we may have some complaints about who got banned and when/why. But remember we don't know what else goes into the reasoning behind the scenes and things we don't see.

If you take the long view the mods are doing what they're supposed to do and that's let the forums blow off steam and moderate themselves to a degree. The threads in question will probably either get shut down quickly or the mods will come in and steer them back on course.

Now you can go back and look at the threads where the mods have gotten involved and see the line(s) that draw their attention. Once a certain threshold is crossed they'll fly in on flaming wings so to speak and gently guide everyone back to the correct lane of traffic.

As far as new mods go they want to be thorough and get the right people into the positions and not put someone in there that 's bad. I mean you don't want to introduce a mod and then have them wreck the place and thereby destroy any trust the mods who're good have earned with the community.

I know asking for patience is a lot in this community but patience got us 2 new mods who seem pretty active and also have good senses of humour.

• Baphomett
    Ikr?  I feel like I should have a cane to shake at all the salty kids and tell stories about walking uphill in the snow to a cyber cafe just to play LAN games.
  • Baphomett
    Master said:

@Baphomett said:
    First rule of the forum:
    "Do not insult, harass or flame other forum members".

And yet every thread with more than 2 replied is full of insults and flames.

Certain people are constantly throwing insults and ad hominem attacks on every thread they participate in (we all know who they are).

This forum has become so toxic it is absurd.  Even the most reasonable and civil discussion is almost immediately derailed by someone jumping in with some snarky, salty insult or a tantrum rant.

Why would anyone new want to come and participate?  Where the hell are the mods and why we do we have to put up with this when we want to discuss the game?

Do you play the game at all?
    That should be answer enough.

In fact, if you compare toxicity in the forum to the game, then the forum is holy in comparison :wink:

Fair point.  But shouldn't fixing that be a priority for any successful online game?  We've all seen many other games go through that pain, and the change is dramatic when the game studio starts taking an active role i  curbing the abuse.
  • Baphomett
    edited August 2018

It's sad but most lightly moderated forums turn into what this place has become. A discussion will happen and then certain posters show up and start slinging insults and diverting attention away from the main topic.

This is the first discussion I can remember that went this long without the usual suspects popping up with something salty and off-topic.  Thank you for participating!  I honestly feel a bit better about this forum after seeing these replies.
  • powerbats

@Peanits said:
    It is. I'm currently at work right now. If you see people insulting each other, report them. Most of them go unreported and there's no way we can read every single post.

About that though did the report spam filter get tweaked since otherwise half the forum would be on a posting ban timer. That just from reporting really bad insult in 1 thread, let alone the 1st page.

• Baphomett
    Peanits said:
    It is. I'm currently at work right now. If you see people insulting each other, report them. Most of them go unreported and there's no way we can read every single post.
    I'm curious, are different mods assigned to different boards?  I ask because I can't recall seeing any mod other you in any of the posts in the general discussion forum.
  • Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522

@Baphomett said:
    Peanits said:

I'm curious, are different mods assigned to different boards?  I ask because I can't recall seeing any mod other you in any of the posts in the general discussion forum.

Nope. General is what gets the most action, so I usually stick around here. Mandy comes around here pretty often too. We all check the reports for every sub though.

@powerbats said:

@Peanits said:

About that though did the report spam filter get tweaked since otherwise half the forum would be on a posting ban timer. That just from reporting really bad insult in 1 thread, let alone the 1st page.

It was changed. It's more lenient now.

• powerbats

@Peanits said:

It was changed. It's more lenient now.

ummmn about that lol, it whacked me good just a little bit ago with a 5 minute posting ban.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/15519/spam-report-filter-is-still-bugged#latest

• Incarnate
    Incarnate Member Posts: 677
    edited August 2018

Just throwing my cents in here.

Yes, as Peanits said, it is moderated, but they don't read every post or thread here, in fact as far as I know, they only gets a heads up when someone FLAGS a post. They might get a heads up if certain words are used, not sure on that, I'm sure @Peanits can enlighten us on that. I'm sure they'd moderate a post that was in violation if they stumpled upon it while reading peoples post, but simply put, we have to help them, otherwise it's impossible for so few people to have eyes on every post created it, there are so many post being created.

• pauloandrade22
    pauloandrade22 Member Posts: 697

@Tsulan said:
    There are some people ready to become MODs.
    This forum would be a lot cleaner. But until the devs decide to assign mods, there isn´t much we can do.

I SACRIFICE MYSELF.

• pauloandrade22
    pauloandrade22 Member Posts: 697

@Incarnate said:
    Just throwing my cents in here.

Yes, as Peanits said, it is moderated, but they don't read every post or thread here, in fact as far as I know, they only gets a heads up when someone FLAGS a post. They might get a heads up if certain words are used, not sure on that, I'm sure @Peanits can enlighten us on that. I'm sure they'd moderate a post that was in violation if they stumpled upon it while reading peoples post, but simply put, we have to help them, otherwise it's impossible for so few people to have eyes on every post created it, there are so many post being created.

Have peps like me or powerbats as mods and those would be cracked down for sure.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

@pauloandrade22 said:

@Tsulan said:
    There are some people ready to become MODs.
    This forum would be a lot cleaner. But until the devs decide to assign mods, there isn´t much we can do.

I SACRIFICE MYSELF.

Good! I would also sacrifice you to become a MOD.

• Nanis
    Nanis Member Posts: 61

Let me just say these "mods" are volunteer/free paying mods who are power tripping all the time. Most of the time you'll see them is when they need to strike down someone unfairly. You can't expect anything consistent or honorable about them TBH

Source: been playing and participating since a month after game release

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Nanis said:
    Let me just say these "mods" are volunteer/free paying mods who are power tripping all the time. Most of the time you'll see them is when they need to strike down someone unfairly. You can't expect anything consistent or honorable about them TBH

Let me guess, you used SAM.

• Nanis

@Orion said:

@Nanis said:

I legit have no idea what you're talking about

• Orion

@Nanis said:

@Orion said:

@Nanis said:

I'd explain, but there's a rule against discussing bans. I'll just say that I haven't seen anyone get banned without just cause.

• Nanis

@Orion said:

@Nanis said:

@Orion said:

@Nanis said:

I'd explain, but there's a rule against discussing bans. I'll just say that I haven't seen anyone get banned without just cause.

Hmm if you're referring to bans well I've never been banned on anything DBD related. Even though you haven't seen anyone get banned without just cause, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have some friends who have been, and they showed me the details of it so yeah, it can happen

• Baphomett
    Nanis said:

While that may or may not have been true, they just announced in the live stream that BHVR has hired several ACMs, such as Peanits.  I don't know if there are still volunteer mods, but the ACMs are on the payroll.
  • powerbats

@Nanis said:

Hmm if you're referring to bans well I've never been banned on anything DBD related. Even though you haven't seen anyone get banned without just cause, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have some friends who have been, and they showed me the details of it so yeah, it can happen

Just remember the prime facts about your friends showing you the details. They may indeed be not worthy of a ban but also might not be telling the whole truth about it all either. There's always something they either don't show you or don't kn ow about.

Most do the time the bans are legit and the company doesn't give more details so as not to tip off others how to avoid getting caught.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522

@Baphomett said:
    Nanis said:

While that may or may not have been true, they just announced in the live stream that BHVR has hired several ACMs, such as Peanits.  I don't know if there are still volunteer mods, but the ACMs are on the payroll.

Paid for ACM stuff, I still moderator on a volunteer basis on top of ACM stuff and my day job.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    Report what hurt you and a mod will attempt  to fix your issue. 
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823

@fcc2014 said:

I wouldn't encourage people to report everything that "hurts" them.

• fcc2014
    Vietfox said:

@fcc2014 said:

Sadly they probably already do. Isn't that what happened to the reporting system in game.  
  • chemical_reject
    chemical_reject Member Posts: 940
    Vietfox said:

@fcc2014 said:

RePoRtEd because I'm easily TRIGGERED lol jk
  • Vietfox

@chemical_reject said:
    Vietfox said:

@fcc2014 said:

I'm gonna quote your comment from Decisive Strike discussion "so if I say "just kidding" it negates anything that precedes it?"
    TrIgGgErEd!!!!

• fcc2014
    Vietfox said:

@fcc2014 said:

Jk is the get out of jail free card.
  • chemical_reject
    chemical_reject Member Posts: 940
    Vietfox said:

@chemical_reject said:
    Vietfox said:

@fcc2014 said:

I'm gonna quote your comment from Decisive Strike discussion "so if I say "just kidding" it negates anything that precedes it?"
    TrIgGgErEd!!!!

Yea for real. I'm gonna start letting lose on people and just add a little "just kidding" on the end. And get away with it. Moderators beware!!!!
  • Vietfox

@chemical_reject said:
    Vietfox said:

@chemical_reject said:

Vietfox said:

@fcc2014 said:

TrIgGgErEd!!!!

Yea for real. I'm gonna start letting lose on people and just add a little "just kidding" on the end. And get away with it. Moderators beware!!!!

Awesome x2 xD

• fcc2014
    Vietfox said:

@chemical_reject said:
    Vietfox said:

@fcc2014 said:

TrIgGgErEd!!!!

A storm of butt hurt is coming.
  • Tsulan
    Orion said:

@Nanis said:

@Orion said:

@Nanis said:

I would like to have a chat with you!
  • Tsulan
    Baphomett said:
    Nanis said:

What means ACM?
  • Orion

I would encourage people to report everything that breaks the rules.

• Tsulan

@meshugganah said:
    crusader for justice.  anyone have a cape to spare?

• Orion

@meshugganah said:

Ah, yes, the usual tribal response. "I did something I know was wrong, but I shouldn't be punished because reasons"

• powerbats

@Tsulan said:

@meshugganah said:

YES !!!!!