Tunneling

Options
I’m gonna make this quick! I’m a rank 1 survivor main, but I play rank 1 killer as well. I have been playing with some baby survivors lately trying to teach them some things about the game and I am gonna side with the killer with what I am about to say. Baby survivors complain about being tunneled so much, like every time they get chased they blame it on the killer specifically targeting them. From what I have seen of late this misconception is due to lack of awareness. Too many survivors don’t use their camera. If you want to be a good survivor you have to use the camera and be aware of what is going on behind you. In defense to killers my advice to survivors is get good at the game, learn to use the camera so that you aren’t just running blind. If you never look behind you and just simply run around not knowing what the hell is going on, if the killer sees you because you didn’t see them then it is your own damn fault!

Comments

• Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    Options

@commtech said:
    I’m gonna make this quick! I’m a rank 1 survivor main, but I play rank 1 killer as well. I have been playing with some baby survivors lately trying to teach them some things about the game and I am gonna side with the killer with what I am about to say. Baby survivors complain about being tunneled so much, like every time they get chased they blame it on the killer specifically targeting them. From what I have seen of late this misconception is due to lack of awareness. Too many survivors don’t use their camera. If you want to be a good survivor you have to use the camera and be aware of what is going on behind you. In defense to killers my advice to survivors is get good at the game, learn to use the camera so that you aren’t just running blind. If you never look behind you and just simply run around not knowing what the hell is going on, if the killer sees you because you didn’t see them then it is your own damn fault!

Not looking behind =/ not being tunneled.
    Either you move your camera or not you CAN be tunneled.
    Don't get me wrong, not complaining about tunneling, but those 2 things are completely different things.

• commtech
    commtech Member Posts: 18
    Options
    I understand that I’ve just been hearing a lot of complaining lately by noobs that they are being tunneled. I know there is a difference. I am referring to noobs complaining about being chased and saying they are being tunneled.
  • Tizzle
    Tizzle Member Posts: 696
    Options

Moving your camera stops tunneling?

WHAT????

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

He's referring to the dumbasses to run in the open from the hook without taking using their camera to see which direction their coming from. I see this ######### all the time - little scared wounded rabbits bolting into the open then expecting the wolf that spotted them to go after the unwounded prey instead of them.

It's stupid really.

• Incarnate
    Incarnate Member Posts: 677
    Options

What you're saying doesn't effectively stop tunnelling - a survivor player can't directly stop a killer from tunnelling a survivor, just through the their own actions - why? Because for it to be tunnelling, it doesn't require the killer to be successful in killing the survivor through tunnelling - the fact that the killer repeatedly goes after the same survivor player, is tunnelling - no amount of actions by the survivor player's is going to change that.

Can you stop a killer player from keeping on tunnelling you as a survivor? Possibly, but only by making the killer realize that he/she is wasting too much time specifically on you.

Does that stop the tunnelling from happening all together? No, if a killer tunnels one survivor but realize he/she is wasting too much time on you specifically, then the killer will just switch target and tunnel that one.

So, what if all players are good enough to keep evading, wouldn't that stop tunnelling? One would possibly think so, but eventually the killer will very likely consider tunnelling just to ensure to get at least one kill or more if possible.

Is it the survivors fault if they get tunnelled? Certainly not. You can't blame a killer's choice to tunnel the players, when it's actually an effective strategy, assuming you're not wasting too much time as a killer to down the survivor in question that is being tunnelled - Tunnelling is an effective strategy to ensure kills.

In regards to using the camera more as a survivor is just a good advice, that is one of their main benefits as a survivor, but you can't specifically use it to stop tunnelling from happening if it happens. Only your skill in escaping the killer will aid you in making the killer possibly choose someone else to tunnel, and saving you for last.

• Baphomett
    Baphomett Member Posts: 394
    edited August 2018
    Options
    On the other hand, you really can't blame the killer if the surv that unhooked hides and the wounded one runs around in the open just begging to be downed.  Most of the time when I'm accused of tunelling, I was just c9nsistently going after the first survivor I saw, and the "tunnelled" surv was just terrible at hiding.
  • Incarnate
    Incarnate Member Posts: 677
    Options

@Baphomett said:
    On the other hand, you really can't blame the killer if the surv that unhooked hides and the wounded one runs around in the open just begging to be downed.  Most of the time when I'm accused of tunelling, I was just c9nsistently going after the first survivor I saw, and the "tunnelled" surv was just terrible at hiding.

Well. Tunnelling happens, both intentional and unintentional. However, with that being said though, I have to agree on that you can't blame the killer for doing his/her job, especially not when you become the obvious choice.

Let me put it this way:
    A killer is supposed to kill the survivors without mercy, fairness or honor, the killer is supposed to kill in whatever way the killer sees fit. So you can't blame the killer for doing his/her job. Nor should a surivor expect that the killer will show you mercy and be fair, just because the survivor were just rescued from a hook or the fact that putting the survivor on the hook the third will sacrifice the survivor. Nor should the survivor expect to be given the hatch or be allowed to escape without intervention.

..and then there is the situation of the survivor player quitting/dc'ing during the match while the survivor team is behind on generators. You can't blame the killer for doing his job effeciently in this situation either, but I will say this though, it would be good sportsmanship to actually play accordingly to the situation as a killer, so if they survivors are clearly behind on generators and have one or two other players quit/dc during the match, it would be good sportsmanship to play more fairly, play less aggressively, etc. Though, I think the devs should solve this rather than put that responsibility on the killer player, when the odds skewed in favor of the killer because of survivor quit/dc. They could solve this in a number of ways, like lowering the requirement for the exit to be unlocked, it is a 4v1 game after all, so if just one player quits/dc the rest of the survivor team is at a disadvantage, and even more so if another one quits/dc, and so.

• Albireo
    Albireo Member Posts: 15
    Options

If a survivor annoys me too much I'll go after him, because I want to get rid of him.
    If a survivor taunts me all day I'm going to ignore him until he walks to me or I catch him off-guard...

If I get tunneled and a killer only focuses on me for a big amount of time, and we win, I'll be happy about it. Even if I die. I know I've got my team the match! Who cares about bloodpoints or ranks, they aren't really hard to get in this game.

• Baphomett
    Baphomett Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Albireo said:

If a survivor annoys me too much I'll go after him, because I want to get rid of him.
    If a survivor taunts me all day I'm going to ignore him until he walks to me or I catch him off-guard...

If I get tunneled and a killer only focuses on me for a big amount of time, and we win, I'll be happy about it. Even if I die. I know I've got my team the match! Who cares about bloodpoints or ranks, they aren't really hard to get in this game.

That's the right attitude, imo.  Everyone has to a take turn being the sacrifical lamb every now and then.