What do you consider "tunneling" and camping?

Options
thetaRama
thetaRama Member Posts: 22

I'm just curious as to what you guys consider tunneling is. I play both killer and survivor at red ranks and in 30% of my killer games I always get at least one survivor who complains about "tunneling" "camping" "baby killer" you know how it goes. As killer I usually don't tunnel or camp unless it is clearly the only viable option to not completely lose(ie in the endgame collapse). I'm curious to see what you guys think about tunneling and camping and specifically, what about during the endgame. I think killers really have few options when the gates are 99...I recently had a nurse game where 3 survivors were healthy and one had just been unhooked near the gate while the gates were opened. The obvious choice is to go for the weakest link to secure 1 kill since hitting a healthy survivor near the gates pretty much guarantees their escape. Well I did that and managed to kill the injured survivor and everyone was complaining in chat calling me "tunneler" "bad" etc...In my opinion I would define tunneling as chasing down one specific survivor to completely ignore other objectives such as map pressure and the chase itself being disadvantageous to the killer in the end. I'm curious to see what you guys think about tunneling and camping and specifically, what about during endgame?

PS Again, I play red rank killer and survivor so I know both sides of the coin :)

Comments

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744
    Options

Both are very situational but lets say you are going against a pretty decent team all are good at looping lets say a meg gets unhooked you only see meg not the unhooker its better to tunnel her in that situation whether it be slug them or just rehook them.

As for camping there's also a valid situation although rare it happens if i see 3 survivors and know all their locations and they are trying to hook bomb i wont leave as i have eyes on 3 people and what their doing its a rare situation but it happens to some degree at red ranks.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

I agree with tgese except id say you can camp whether its disadventagious or not. If its to your advantage do it, i sure do, but its still camping.

• Vox_Nocturne
    Vox_Nocturne Member Posts: 545
    Options

Tunneling (to me) feels like chasing the same guy consistently, regardless of people throwing themselves at you, and ignoring gens or any other activities they could be doing. Even more so when the killer eventually hooks them, they are rescued, and once again the killer single-mindedly chases them. One exception would be end game with the gates. It makes no sense whatsoever to not go for a recently unhooked survivor who's running to freedom - and even then that's not tunneling. That's just common sense.

Camping, or rather face-camping, is basically wanting to constantly snog the survivor on the hook, sometimes hitting them when they get frustrated. Basically, that's the bad camp. This feels confused with patrolling the hook, where a killer walks within sight of the hook, waiting for survivors to come, so they can get the hits in and use the hooked perp as a trap for others. Patrolling is fair. But just standing still right in front of the victim - that's true camping.

• Nutty_Professor
    Nutty_Professor Member Posts: 621
    Options

I too play survivor and killer at red ranks.

Camping is when a killer is staying by the hooked survivor with no intention of leaving the hook, even if they know the other survivors are not in the area.

Camping is not when the killer knows or suspect that their is another survivor in the area. The killer is not going to leave an area where the majority of the survivors are.

However a lot of survivors who do not play killer, expect the killer to just allow them free hook saves.

Tunneling is when the killer focuses on one particular survivor and ignoring the other survivors. For example if the killer is chasing a survivor and then immediately abandons the chase the moment, just so they can go back to and focus on the unhooked survivor. That's tunneling.

What's not tunneling is when the killer downs and slugs the unhooked survivor after they are immediately farmed off the hook to provide pressure. If the unhooked survivor runs into the killer. If the unhooked survivor starts working on a generator, and the killer chases them and downs them to prevent them from completing that generator.

When the killer is actually tunneling and camping, it's extremely ineffective in most red rank games.

If the killer is camping, just work on generators and escape, that way the killer will only get 1k and very little blood points.

If the killer is tunneling a survivor and they are unable to down that survivor, the best thing you can do to help that survivor is by working on generators. Often when a survivor tries to helped a strong looper, they normally do more harm then good. Not only are they wasting time by not completing generators, but they can also get in the looper's way or use pallets that the looper wouldn't have needed to use until later.

Also tunneling a bad survivor is often ineffective, as often they'll have DS. Taking a DS hit, costs too much time for the killer which they can't afford.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Tunelling is going after a survivor even if there are other, potentially better opportunities. Camping is mostly just facecamping or extreme, barely-ever-leaving-kindred hook patrolling.

But it varies form killer to killer and situation to situation as to whether or not they are bad things. Trapper often has to get a trap and set it up, and he's a territorial killer. Call it camping if you want, his playstyle (like hag) is to own a section of the map. Likewise, if the killer has an important objective near the hook, like a near-complete gen, a 3-gen, slug, another hook or even some idiot that clearly left scratch marks beside the hook and is trying to sealth, then it's not exactly something to complain about: if it's the right play, it's the right play. It kind of sucks, but its perfectly understandable.

• chase131119
    chase131119 Member Posts: 839
    Options

Facecamping = Getting right up in the survivors tight space staring into their soul. (Only good to do with LF, every other killer don't do this)

Proxy camping = Not facecamping but still camping, looking around for survivors and roaming around a bit. (I feel that this is only acceptable if the survivors are just bum-rushing the hook or if it's EGC)

Tunneling - Blatantly ignoring other survivors to go after one other survivor on purpose. It's tunneling if someone unhooks and the killer PURPOSELY goes for the injured person to hook them again. It's NOT tunneling if someone is unhooked, the killer goes back and can't find the unhooker and stumbles upon the unhooked survivors. That's the only one they can go after, so they go after them. (I only find this acceptable if the survivor was super super toxic (or maybe just really good) and you know you can get an easy down on them. If they have DS or not is a gamble, or if you really need a survivor out of the game to be winnable.)

• Tiersis
    Tiersis Member Posts: 259
    Options

I consider it legitimate game play, that is sometimes a good idea and sometimes not.

A killer should play the game in a manner that best ensures they have fun. For most, that means getting as many kills as possible.

If you don't have fun tunneling, don't do it. If its great for you, do it. Same for camping and slugging.

There are perks that can counter play just about any / all of this, and even without the perks your team could either try and save you, or use you as a distraction to ensure the rest of you escape.

IMO, if I play survivor and a killer decides to tunnel and camp me, I hope my team uses every second available that the killer is occupied with me as a chance to get an escape.

As killer, I usually only use these tactics when they are beneficial to getting the kills.

That said, I have changed my "win" objective in my head before in the case of Toxic survivors. Click a flashlight at me? Point? Teabag? I'll ignore all and let everyone escape just to I can basement camp you and make sure you die. I'm fine with that, and its satisfying.

As long as you aren't committing a bannable offense, play the way you want.

• Nutty_Professor
    Options

Tunneling and camping may be legitimate strategies but they are ineffective strategies in most red rank games. If you're camping or tunneling one survivor. You're not providing any pressure to the other three survivors, meaning they can work on generators unchallenged.

If the survivors aren't stupidly overly altruistic, tunneling and camping is a sure way to throw the game.

Although you kinda need to slug at red ranks, even at five gens.

• Tiersis
    Tiersis Member Posts: 259
    Options

I agree with you, of course. Most of the time its not overly useful, but you can't mandate people playing optimally.

A lot of the time in groups, they get super altruistic like you said. At that time, it goes from extremely bad to super effective.

• Nutty_Professor
    Options

Often when SWF's become overly altruistic, it's no longer camping as you know the other survivors will soon swarm the hook, so you have no reason to leave the area.

Although regarding SWF's this may contradict my last post, but sometimes it's effective to focus on the rank 15 friend, often it won't take long down them, they often won't have DS, and their more experienced friends will give you free hits to protect the rank 15. It's scummy, but they're already have the advantage of comm's.

• killde
    killde Member Posts: 53
    Options

As a survivor crybaby tunneling and camping is when the killer chases me for more than 2 seconds not acting like a blind and mentally disabled clown.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    Options

Tunnelling: fresh off hook and in a chase for the second time.

Camping: fresh off the hook and in a chase for the second time.