Disconnection Penalty

As an avid DBD player that plays Killer and Survivor equally...I understand the need and desire for a disconnection penalty as a DC can and usually does ruin a match for others. However...I don't think when people lobbied for something to be done they meant for a Penalty to be implemented punishing users for random acts of god. Like...a freak thunderstorm there was no signs of or warnings for immediately resulting in loss of power. Or...the game being forced closed because your switch has a new system update that just came out as you're playing (the latter just happened to me resulting in a fifteen minute ban) Devs say they can't track how or why a person disconnects but this isn't true. It just would take A LOT of extra work and effort. These are the same people...that can use given variables to attempt to recreate a problem a user on the other side of the world is having with their game...they can find the source of a DC is it too much to ask to have the DC penalty not taken off permanently but...just given a damn rework so that it ONLY targets people disconnecting on purpose?

Comments

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

a freak thunderstorm there was no signs of or warnings for immediately resulting in loss of power.

That's why the dc punishments are (or if not should) be low at the beginning

Devs say they can't track how or why a person disconnects but this isn't true

I'm just curious how.

just given a damn rework so that it ONLY targets people disconnecting on purpose?

This just doesn't exist. And.. can't without being exploitable.

• SuperSaiyan4GT
    SuperSaiyan4GT Member Posts: 144

First they need to fix their servers to where they are more consistent and the latency is low. I believe only then can they really narrow down disconnecting

• JereBear
    JereBear Member Posts: 30

The DC punishments are ridiculously unbalanced. Just the other day I got three or four penalties (don't remember specifically which) for people disconnecting before the match started. I ended up at a fifteen or thirty minute ban then too. Which is extremely frustrating. I'm a Switch player and I can count on one hand and have four fingers left the amount of times since release in September that I've DCd on purpose... and I've never had any problems with being DCd by the game until the end of April. After the last issue I stopped playing for four days just to lower my DC penalty timer back to give minutes because you have to go 24 hours per tier to lower it down.

As for 'how' I'm not sure exactly how they can track it but it was mentioned by one of the Devs that mods the forums that they *could* work on making it more accurate but that basically that would take too much time away from fixing 'actual bugs'.

Maybe it can't fully be perfect, but it could definitely be made better than it is now. There are way too many instances where it gives penalties for things that it shouldn't. Now I'm not going to say that the issue I described at the beginning of my post here happens all the time, it's only happened to me the once (being given penalties for matches being cancelled due to disconnections) but the fact that that for instance happens at all could definitely be fixed.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

You're encountering some sort of bug if other peoples' DC's (resulting in the match being stopped) are adding a penalty to you. I've been in this scenario a few times now, and they do not penalize me for these matches. If you didn't DC and were returned to the menu, you should not be receiving a matchmaking ban from the system.

Making the system more accurate would probably involve tracking which players receive these bans and how frequently they do so in order to exact some meaner punishments on these "bad seeds". The game does lightly track banned players, that's how the penalties escalate over multiple offenses. However, I believe the system "forgets" these players after the ban and a certain amount of time has passed (when the ban-times for subsequent penalties are 'reset').

And honestly, its only like a 3-5 minute ban at first (5 min on console, but I've seen others say 3 on PC). If you're receiving this because of a freak power surge, internet outage, or real life interfering, this is enough time for you to handle the problem and return to the game (it'll probably take that long just to reboot everything if your power went out). If this is occurring a lot in a short enough time span to escalate your ban penalties, then you really should be waiting until you can stay connected more reliably. We have these penalties to punish DC's of all forms, because they disrupt the gameplay of others in the lobby with you.

BHVR can't realistically referee every possible instance that might force a DC unintentionally (its not like they live by your home to verify the events), so their system unfortunately has to play bad cop just to be safe. While it might seem nicer to tie the ban exclusively to the "Leave Match" button, that just opens up a whole lotta room for exploiting the system. It's probably better that it stays relatively broad to cover a wide range of possibilities.

• JereBear
    JereBear Member Posts: 30

I'd honestly just be happy if they fixed the 'bugs' as you called them @APoipleTurtle. I get these frequently enough that it's not uncommon for me to have a fifteen minute ban any time something happens (after all to get back down to five from fifteen I'd have to go 72 hours without a single problem) Bad weather and things like power outages aren't my main concern they don't happen often. But things like getting a penalty for someone else leaving the match before it starts and the match Canceling? Or Nintendo closing the game because I was playing at the exact moment an update for the system came out? (Honestly the first more than the second because it seems to happen three to four times a week.) Those could be fixed surely without changing how broadly it covers things