Quick question to older / legacy players

Was the game speed slow enough where people actually worked on totems? I feel this current meth induced genrush / mow everyone down meta doesn't really allow for some of the smaller details in the game. I know people grab them if they are in the open / near a gen. I am talking about actually hunting down ruin, noed etc. I do see streamers doing it in SWFS, but alas, I play solo.

I understand in this genrush ######### show that killers (esp highly mobile) are going to bbq/chili nonstop. I find that boring too. I can elaborate, but I will spare you the wall o text.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

Are you asking if the gen speed back in the day was slow enough where people worked on totems? Sorry if I misinterpret what you're asking but totems didn't exist when the game was released. NOED was therefore not tied to a hex totem and lasted permanently once activated. Of course that was until it was nerfed to last for 2 mins. Hex Ruin didn't exist either until the Hag was released.

Gen speed was also so, so much faster than today's gen speeds. I don't have the exact figures however gens could be done very quickly. Hex ruin didn't exist, great skill checks benefited you even more than they did pre-nerf. But... hooks never respawned early on in the game. Hence horrible survivors (like me) MIGHT have been distracted from gens as we were busy maining Jake and saboing a bunch of hooks that never respawned. (I personally did it because you got a good amount of boldness points for it back then and you didn't have to be chased, so that was nice).

So to answer your question, genspeed was not slow back in 2016, especially since pre-nerf BNP's existed. Killer's couldn't regress gens, there were no tailored perks killers could use to slow down gens like PGTW and Ruin. The only reason games may have lasted a long time is because we were all noobs back then, missing skill checks and being afraid for our lives every time we heard a faint TR. And because saboing was super useful back then and hence distracted us from gens.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

There were no Totems back then.

Generators also took a minute instead of 80 seconds.

No regression existed.

Brand New Parts completed a Generator instantly.

If we had current Survivors in that version of the game, you'd see some unbelievable genrushing.

• thottiepippen
    thottiepippen Member Posts: 98
  • Witas
    Witas Member Posts: 477

Good ol' days XD Jezz Im so glad the game's different now ...

Although it is worth noting that even with all you mentioned, no entity blockers and countless infinites ... The game seemed pretty balanced, because nobody had any idea how to play :D

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,940

I actually remember how we used to use a BNP in a chase, would take a few seconds, especially if it was the last gen - you'd run past in a chase, pop it and get the adrenaline.