The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How to fix camping

FogNoob
FogNoob Member Posts: 115

Just give us a perk that pauses hook progression whenever the killer is near the hook (let´s say.. kindred range) and NOT in a chase. There.. it´s fixed. Don´t even need to be survivor base kit.

I´m just saying that because I´ve been going against a lot of hard campers. I know the "counter" is doing gens but whoever is on hook is not having a great time, is it? And also, do we need more toxicity in this game? Give us a proper chance to fight it with a perk instead of giving us trash situational perks like blocking gens (repressed alliance)..

Comments

• FogNoob

can you tell me how/when was it tried and how it was abused? honest question. Also, would it be possible to improve the system instead of removing it?

• you could just make it so that the survivors die slower or don't die at all when the killer is camping

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
  • FogNoob

yeah, tha's why I suggested it only would apply when not in a chase. I mean, the game has changed a lot since 2016, maybe it's time the devs reviewed some of these mechanics. Also.. I used to be a main killer so I do understand both sides.. but camping always struck me as something incredibly dirty. I mean.. when you're being tunneled you still have a chance to outplay the killer.. when you are hooked you're just done... hehehe

• BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649

So if i hook someone and see scratch marks near by..... I'm supposed to get to the other side of the map knowing there was someone there ready to unhook and heal?

I know what you mean, but it's very abuseable, AND terms like camping and tunneling are used so loosely by survivors it's actually hard to take them seriously. I mean the other day à friend was calling the killer à camper but refused to see my other friend chose to loop the killer in the killer shack where the basement was.... Só you know.... Bullshit.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

That wont fix anything, cause the survivor is still on the hook and cant do anything meanwhile.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

I think thats the point of camarederie.

What other use for this perk is there except face camping situations?

• Frareid88
    Frareid88 Member Posts: 276

Killers do get rewarded for not camping. But I hate how people constantly moan when you have 1 person on the hook as a killer with 1 gen remaining and proxy camp. I'd rather get 1 kill than a load of tea bagging at the gate. I play myers if I'm a killer and stay in Constant teir 1 just to make people poop their pants. It's delightful. But 90% of the time I'm a survivor and I'd I get camped on the hook I move on to the next game. I hate people who moan about camping but constantly teabag and click click click.

• FogNoob

its just that camaraderie depends on the action of someone else. If it was a perk you could run killers just wouldn't be around the hook as soon as they see the progress stopped.

• FogNoob

No, if you see scratch marks and start a chase the hook progression would continue normally. And I totally agree with you! the terms are used very loosely. I guess we would have to first define what "camping" actually is. I take kindred range as a good measure, but I understand some people would think that's too much.

• Sypherpathic
    Sypherpathic Member Posts: 488

Absolutely this. When anyone choosing camping sees a better reward for not doing it, they will not do it.

The adversarial nature of this game always seems to force players to think of ways to penalize or punish the 'other side' and it's not really a logical way to handle playability issues. Punish killers enough or take enough fun or reward and that's how you get no one playing killer.

Progression is a heady problem in this game. When everyone is making such a big deal about rank and pips, the game becomes about making rank and pips. For some that is fun, and they have to be 'on top' and show off that they're rank 1. That's fun for those people.

I think that the game needs to be engaging and fun to play, not a contest to get to rank 1.

When I'm playing survivor, I leave the open gate to try to make that hopeless basement hook save. Because I don't care about pipping constantly. It's much more fun making that near-impossible save or dying to try to save someone than to just run out and rank up slightly. Maybe I'm still too much of a role-player.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

How about if a survivor is on the hook and the killer is not near, only the gen with the lowest progression can be worked at. That would give an incentive not to camp. Why not just change it that way?

• Orion

Because that would be abused by killers who would stand just outside the radius and rush back as soon as someone was unhooked.

• Poorfu
    Poorfu Member Posts: 47

Made a similar post to this, I'm usually the one on the hook and I'm pretty good at hiding. Just my luck though. I'd totally love to have this perk if it was in the game. Easily would be on every character.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

Make Devour Hope not Hex perk.

:^)

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833
    edited June 2020

Lol, devour hope would be by far the strongest killer perk in the game, dont get me wrong ALREADY IS the strongest killer perk in the game, but lacks consistency because its a HEX. BUT i wouldnt mind if didnt spown till we get one token or so, would be nice. i think the perk could be reworked/changed but that would be with all Hex perks.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

Oof how many more times will you have to tell this to others ? I already saw it soooo many times. :O

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470
    edited June 2020

If the number of hooks required to 1-shot and/or mori would be increased, it wouldnt be too strong.

• THEFREAK420
    THEFREAK420 Member Posts: 138

Your fun is No concern to killer. If you cant deal with it then play something else.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989
    edited June 2020

Camping isn't broken lol autocorrect

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Do the frigging gens when the killer is camping. Killers camp because its a bait tactic to lure angry survivors. Do gens to punish the killer, not goading a killer to chase you.

Camping is a legitimate strategy, albeit a high risk one

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656

No @ a perk.

A camping deterrent needs to be built into the game. I am not wasting ANOTHER perk slot on a perk they will nerf and nullify eventually anyway, like DS/BT.

• NinjaDette1
    NinjaDette1 Member Posts: 1,289
  • beannutt
    beannutt Member Posts: 3

I’ve seen many straight up basement camp and get a 4k but they always get less than 10k points and depip/derank? There’s already enough incentive to not do it point/rank wise, many just do it to be toxic or because they are mad and someone just pissed them off with a flashlight save or good mindgame. The community and many of its members are simply toxic and I don’t think it’s smth that needs (or even can) to be fixed properly by creators. Endgame chat always ruins perfectly good games for me when people trash talk and name call. It’s easier for killers to farm and get points to rank up than it is for them to be toxic.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

How to fix camping:

#1. Slow down gens whenever a killer is in chase.

#2. Speed up gens when a survivor is on the hook by an equal amount.

Killers get rewarded for being in chase. If they don't get into a chase, they're only hurting themselves.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

@FogNoob

I feel for you. Your idea is actually not that bad, but you are always going to have these players who say stuff like "Don't get caught", but the minute anyone mentions DS "Oh no that's abuseable". Like what? 🤣

My advice? Ignore those posts and respond to the people who actually add to the conversation. That's what I do anymore when I post on these forums.

As for your idea. I think it's good the only thing I would add is that no other survivor is near, it should proc if the killer has been stationary for x amount of seconds. I would also say that they should make it built-in like other mechanics exist to stop abusable tactics like window blockers, bloodlust etc.

• emptyCups
    emptyCups Member Posts: 1,262

Yeah survivors should bleed out whenever they do gens

• JLew
    JLew Member Posts: 160

Penalize teabagging survivors...each time crouch is hit 3+ times in a row, you lose 5k bloodpoints...

• Babyyy_Boyy
    Babyyy_Boyy Member Posts: 444

That perk is ass. They should buff it before the survivor hits struggle phase and during struggle phase. That would really punish the killer.

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629

If the killer is Camping then a tooltip should pop up informing survivors that if the killer is making it unsafe to unhook then they should do gens. I’d also throw in the aura reveal within 16m of the hook so that survivors can see that someone is being camped.

Camping is a strong tactic against solo survivors as there’s no communication. It takes like 20s for you to figure out that someone is being camped, the same applies to the others when they try to save.

Also some have a habit of just hiding near the hook hoping the killer walks away....maybe the survivors are uneducated about camping idk.

Also the survivor being camped has no incentive to stay on the hook, they could just Hook-icide and be in another, more fun match. Maybe they should gain distraction points or something if the killer stays within the vicinity of them so that the game isn’t a total loss for them.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Random idea pass by (I already said this before Pyramid head is a thing)

• Survivors on 2nd hook get a skill check every 6sec, fail a skill check lose 2sec bar progression. The further Kill stay from the hook, the harder skill check zone.

I cant think of 1st hook stage.

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629

Doesn’t stop my Teammates from hiding near the hook waiting to save from a camping killer.

Solo survivor life I guess

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Give survivors more bp for the save if it was closer to the next phase. If survivors learn to unhook as late as possible then the killers might think twice of just sitting there doing nothing. Reward survivors more for doing the right play

The reason camping works is because killers know survivors are greedy for the points and will all come running to the hook faster then the killer does carrying the survivor

• batax90
    batax90 Member Posts: 879

Camping is part of the game you may like it or not it will stay and nothing is wrong with camping i get it annoying to get face camp by a leatherface but you just need to take the lost and move to the next game

• Sypherpathic
    Sypherpathic Member Posts: 488

Ah see, this is where the game needs the greatest change.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, but things are a bit off. If you think of what is presented in the lore as the main goal, it's for the survivors to get out the gate and for the killer to kill.

If either side is too efficient - if survivors just do gens then leave, or if the killer just quickly kills all of the survivors, it is usually actually not that great of a game experience- low score and not much fun had by all (arguably, a "bloody" 4K as a killer can feel fun, but as a survivor just holding the gen button then leaving is pretty boring). I think that needs to be fixed. Only by individuals working outside of those two goals - doing things like practicing hook rotation as a killer or seeking out engagement with the killer as the survivor- does the game start to have more activity and (subjectively), fun.

• SrxErick
    SrxErick Member Posts: 13

Podrías dar un ejemplo? Yo creo que eres un experto en el tema (lo digo enserio)

• Orion

Sure. I hope you don't mind me replying in English. I'm feeling a bit lazy and don't want to write in Spanish.

When that mechanic was tested in the first PTB, it was discovered that two survivors could force the killer to stay near the hook. The killer was then forced to make a choice: chase one survivor away while the other one unhooked, or stay near the hook and the fourth survivor would have more than enough time to work on generators and then come in for a rescue anyway. Since this gave all the power to survivors, even though the killer was the one who did all the work, the idea was immediately disregarded.

The devs also tried having the first hook stage last forever (unless the survivors attempted to unhook themselves), but a similar issue arose: without any pressure to unhook, the survivors could finish repairing all the generators and unhook at their leisure. The killer was forced to allow survivors to unhook, or he would receive almost no benefit for his work. Again, this idea was thrown away.

• SrxErick
    SrxErick Member Posts: 13

Creo que sería buena idea crear un nuevo foro sobre ideas de beneficios de no campear

• LethalPugy
    LethalPugy Member Posts: 493

or you could do gens.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303

Quit making posts about it and just move on to the next match? They've already penalized killers for camping. There not pipping, or getting ######### for BP's. It is what it is man. Just suicide on the hook and MOVE on if it bothers you that bad...

• JustCats
    JustCats Member Posts: 298

Maybe a Zone of Politeness aura around the hook so that survivors can get safely unhooked and heal up without having to worry about the bloodthirsty murder monster. Maybe getting hooked should just transport survivors to a safe zone where the other survivors just have to tag them back in. Maybe survivors could get a naughty finger wagging emote for when the killer misbehaves.

Or just pretend like Freddy Krueger or Michael Myers or Leatherface caught and murdered you in a particularly unpleasant way, which bought your friends a valuable amount of time to further their escape plans. You were a redshirt; it happens.

• FogNoob

or maybe you could just ignore the post and move on to the next thread, kind of like you're suggesting yourself.

• FogNoob

That's interesting, I didn't know that was tested. I still think something could(and should) be done, but I guess for now we'll just have to do gens and that's it. Thanks for your reply.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209

Umm there is a perk that pauses hook timer though just no one uses it