Silent Hill realm fps

madradfox
madradfox Member Posts: 190

I know I am not the only one suffering massive fps drops in certain areas of this new map. I have asked and confirmed it with many other players in the post-game chat, and heard the same from both killers and other survivors. This issue was unique to this map, every other map in the game gives me an FPS that is why more than sufficient for matches.

At certain moments, even at LOW with 10% resolution setting, the fps would drop to below 10 fps per the built-in counter in Steam. These drops seem to occur when simply facing in the direction of other survivors whether I can see them or their auras. For example, if I go into a locker with Kindred equipped before the hook occurs (to hide from BBQ) and look in the direction where the person went down, the hooking will go off, I won't be able to see any auras on my screen but the FPS reported in the corner will drop massively (by more than 50%), if I simply turn my head away from where the hook/auras may be, and look into a very detailed/textured section of the map, my fps will return to normal. My fps will also return to normal after someone rescues that person on the hook, disabling all my Kindred auras.

Anyway, after trying everything from disabling every background service, even dusting off all the CPU/GPU fans just in case (not a single issue with GPU load, its actually way more CPU intensive whatever is causing it), nothing seemed to be making any difference until I tried the following configuration in the settings:

Resolution=0%

Auto-Adjust=OFF

Details=Medium (or High)

At Medium I get steady 60fps. At High I can get steady 45-48fps with a couple of close-up real-time renders (getting hooked/unhooked animations, and some killer special effects) in the mid-low 30s. The resolution at 0% does not seem to make a visual difference, but moving the slider back to even 1% brings all the FPS issues back.

Figured I'd share, because before changing the settings, the map was 100% unplayable for me.

Comments

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,744

All I can really say is that if you're having performance issues on Ultra (which I assume is what the "Details" were set to before, then don't play on Ultra. Low is better for you in terms of gameplay since you see things easier (hi Blendie lol) and FPS is better. You can crank up that res too on low.

• Kobeskillz
    Kobeskillz Member Posts: 80

this map runs a bit rough on switch honestly. But that's because it's mmm switch. lol.

Though to be fair games like Realm Royale which has 100 players, bigger world, and looks beautiful on switch runs at 60 frame so yeah.