@Community help me. Please.

MusicNerd_TC
MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

Hello community, I love dbd and have been playing for over 2 years now. I have been getting very stressed as playing killer recently, and I want to not take the game seriously, but how do I do it? I mostly get stressed at rank reset, because it feels like I'm obligated to get to rank 1 and my main killers can't pip that well. I feel like if I'm not rank 1, I can't be taken seriously or I'm just "bad". I usually get stuck from rank 4-5, and if I want to get to rank 1, I have to play a killer that can pip well like legion, even though I hate them. Another thing that stresses me out is toxicity. When I mean toxicity I mean people talking ######### to me in end-game chat, t bagging, and flashlight clicking. I'm pretty sensitive, so it actually stresses me out quite a bit. How do you guys not take this game seriously? I want to have as much fun as possible, but it's hard when rank is there.

Comments

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

if you want ez matches destroying survivors and get rank 1

play this:

Just look my results with perkless so imagine how ez with perks is:

you also have other choices by the simple act of faking your power

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Run a meme build. I personally had fun running just Lightborn on Legion and I put it in the 3rd slot so it looked weird.

Other ideas include running Monstrous Shrine, Distressing, Territorial Imperative and Mind Breaker on Clown. The idea is to run the worst perks on the worst killer. Could also use Zenshi Tactics or Third Seal.

4.6m/s add-on Nurse with perks like Spirit Fury, Enduring, Haunted Grounds and BBQ.

• MusicNerd_TC

Not really a fan of spirit, but I have started playing PH more since I despise looping. Thanks!

• MusicNerd_TC

I've thought of running certain meme builds like basement hag, that actually sounds like a lot of fun. I will try out some of your combos.

• MusicNerd_TC

These tips actually helped a lot! Thanks for your advice on ranking, that stresses me out the most.

• Aaliyah
    Aaliyah Member Posts: 52

Same here! It stresses me out too. I played the game for 257 hours and feel bad that I never got to Rank 1. But I realized that the ranking system itself is just completely broken. And if someone is unfriendly in the endgame chat just laugh at it! They are just complaining because you were better than them. That's entitled survivor mains for ya! And pls take a break from the game if it affects your mental health. It can be only for a day or so but pls stay safe :) Have a nice day!

• Switcheroo
    Switcheroo Member Posts: 48

The issue is that you care about rank so much when it really doesn't matter (especially when the matchmaking system isn't the best)

• MusicNerd_TC

Thanks! I just watched the slinger one, and it looks like a lot of fun! I laughed out loud on that one.

Good to know that other people are experiencing what I am, thanks so much mate :)

•  Antares2332
    Antares2332 Member Posts: 1,088

I play on both sides and it is normal that you are stressed if you play as killer, it's the hard side to learn and play. When i feel that I get tired I am simply going to play as a survivor to relax, because it is easier to play.

If you play with effort but not enough to take it seriously, you will reach rank 1 without realizing it. Ignore those who insult you at the end of the match, just imagine how silly some people can be to take a serious game and offend others.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

I tend to focus on what happens in the match not what the results are

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Not basement hag.. that isn't a fun build. Anyone who says it is, is a liar lol

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

I have started playing PH more

The student will soon become the master lmao

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Ask yourself why you care about rank 1 so much?

For me knowing I’ve been there, got the achievement etc as killer I couldn’t care less. I end up in red ranks anywhere but I’m not trying to get to rank 1 and I can happily throw some games with a meme build or messing about for archive challenges.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

You know I didn't even get the Rank 1 achievement

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

I've never heard a killer main say they "hate looping" before and actually meant it, and I'm interested to know why. It's essential to the core gameplay to understand looping and running tiles as both survivor and killer and it's where the fun is. Suppose if you only want to play PH, Deathslinger or spirit it makes sense why you'd hate loops, because these killers don't care about them at all

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

I'll give you another approach: I've been playing DbD for more than 3 years now. I completely stopped playing killer a couple of months ago because I didn't want to deal with all the nonsense anymore (stress, toxicity etc.).

It worked great for me.

• Halun
    Halun Member Posts: 177

Imo this is why we need a rankless "quick play" or "unranked" mode.

I still don't know why this game doesn't have something that basic.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,444

Matchmaking is so broken that it may as well be considered rankless as it just often completely ignores rank and matches up a rank 1 with rank 20 players.

• Vox_Nocturne
    Vox_Nocturne Member Posts: 545

Turning the game into a Sandbox game, away from the main objectives, can become rather fun when needing to take a break from the more competitive rounds. Here's a couple of examples of what I mean:

1. Not In My House!

If you get a place like Mother's Dwelling, set up shop in the house and defend it from survivors. Any who break in knock down, then either put them on a hook outside, or pick the body up and dump it outside. No entry without a permit!

2. Pub Lock-in

The opposite to above. Drag all survivors into a house whenever possible. Also, keep banging your head as you do so. Get into the spirit! Not literally. Thay has dire consequences for survivors.

3. The Slave Driver

Basically work with them, but if they do something like miss a skill check or mess about, hit them. Get them to do their God-damn job!

There are other ways of making it light-hearted, but sometimes playing a silly or meme round does take away the stress. And if the survivors notice it too, you'll probably have a lot of fun!

• Halun
    Halun Member Posts: 177

I don't disagree with you. But that just makes things even worse imo, not better. Because then it just makes things feel even more unfair. Imagine if the game just didn't have this broken system to begin with, and instead of "fixing" things, they were simply implementing a working system now... Something tells me the community would be a lot less up-in-arms about the issue as a whole.

Once they fix matchmaking (or even now), how hard would it be to implement rankless play? One could make the argument that would split the audience, and make matchmaking time even higher, but I think it's a necessity. Not everyone wants to compete. And imo, ranked play should have never been the default for the game. That's insanity, especially with a broken system.

• MusicNerd_TC

I should have been more specific. I hate the BROKEN loops. The uninteractive loops that the survivor can see over, where there is no mindgame potential. I love running certain loops, like jungle gyms, long walls and the shack, but I hate the loops on blood lodge. Or loops that are connected so much like Ormond.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Who cares about rank, that's the problem, stop worrying about rank. No one takes anyone more seriously at rank 1 than they do at rank 10 its a game its not that important. Also who are you worried about taking you seriously? Anonymous strangers online?

If you think rank 1 is some representation of your skill then I'm afraid you are mistaken, like most things online, rank does not equal skill it equals time spent online. You play enough you'll eventually hit rank 1, how quickly you hit rank 1 is irrelevant because the only person who knows that is you and there is no way to prove it to others should you feel the need.

Personally I feel bummed out when I rank up to much as the game is far more toxic at higher ranks. Not harder just more toxic. I get very little post game abuse in green/purp ranks but red ranks is where folk who take things to seriously have meltdowns.

As killer I focus on blood points, the only thing that really matters in game, as its used to buy items to make fun builds. So that means whatever I can sacc, break, regress, hit, plus 4 bbq stacks.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

I used to get stressed and pissed off. I switched to survivor and stopped caring about escaping. As killer i just try to get better at chases or using killer powers. If i feel like my game is improving im fine. End screen results dont really matter

• MusicNerd_TC

Yeah, I usually DO get to rank 1 every time, it's just I feel obligated to do it, so I have to play killers that can rank up easily like legion and ghostface, who I don't enjoy playing. Whenever I 4K with Oni I will always get brutal killer, so it's pretty frustrating.

• Tiyr
    Tiyr Member Posts: 52

Some cool posts here i can take some of it for my own play thanks folks

• KaceSpireh
    KaceSpireh Member Posts: 112

Play Jumpscare myers, YOU WILL WIN granted you got a small map like Hawkins or lery or smth small, just use an offering. As for perks I run blood echo, Sloppy Butcher, corrupt intervention and the last perk of ur choice.

Also you really shouldn't give a damn about the clickity clicks be like me I don't give a damn if I win or lose.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

People have suggested some good ideas on how to play a less stressful game.

My biggest advice is to stop playing for pips. The moment you stop caring about your rank and pips (honestly wish it didn't force you to have to play ranked only) is the day you start having fun.

I typically make builds or enter a match with a specific goal in mind. Maybe I want to get jumpscares on people, maybe I want to try and get an odd synergy to work with some perks. I'm bad at huntress, maybe I'll play a few matches where I only go for hatchet throws to practice.

In all those cases I don't care if I get 4 kills or pip because I set my own goal and just ignore what makes this game so stressful.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

If you master Spirit (which is hard, don't let anyone tell you otherwise) with a good build, expect rank 1 every time.

• GreenPufferFish
    GreenPufferFish Member Posts: 498

i was trying to get the rank achviemtns once as surv i could hvae got to rank 1 it was pretty easy but i jsut raged every time i pipped so i left it at rank 3 also btw matchmaking is broke i have freidn rank 1 he is terrible iam not bad 1000+ hours and only rank 11(highest i have been not trying to pip rank 5)reason iam low just can hit skill checks but i can loop killer whole match sometimes

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Ah, that's completely fair. I don't know a single killer player who enjoys Ormond lmao. And true, those loops that you just hold W around are quite boring. Ormond and fractured cowshed are the worst for those.

• diddy1134
    diddy1134 Member Posts: 5

Basement hag is so fun. Putting every single trap down there while you have a survivor hooked. Then you use insidious to camp and follow them straight down as they run around with a chicken with their head cut off because every time a trap is triggered their camera auto jerks towards the hag trap. Then in the midst of your 1000 hag pop up virus you can freely run and just ######### their day up down there. Maybe even getting a couple yoinks if they attempt the unhook and now you have two in the basement. Rinse and repeat. Its gold everytime I promise you.

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875

Stop playing to kill survivors. Change the expectation. Make the goal to hook everyone twice then farm (give free pallet stuns, etc). playing to 4k is boring af (and requires playing like an ######### in the name of “der being killer, killer kills, don’t tell me how to play” nonsense. Make your own rules/goals for a match.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695
    edited July 2020

The toxicity is why DBD desperately needs a single player mode. If bots can be incorporated into the game to take over for a player that disconnected, then there's no reason why those bots couldn't be used to create a single player mode.

• Akito
    Akito Member Posts: 673

Trying survivor? Or fun builds on lower killer? Because everytime my expectations on me increases the higher tier the killer is. So when I play Clown I just enjoy the Clowns gameplay.

Or I am going for different fun builds. Like Amandas Letter with Combat Straps and fitting perks. Im going to Lerys and grab them all. Or Im running Myers with Piece of Tombstone, Charge Addon, PWYF, Nemesis and whatever else and murdering everyone I can get.

As survivor when I am tired of trying to escape with my team bc my team couldn't even beat a first match-addonless-wraith I'm switching to bond+pebble+wake up to sellout my teammates. Some sellouts killing me lmao. And wake up is godtier when it comes to the hatchgame and escaping through the exits. But be sure you did all totems. It's a chill game and doing gens seriously isn't very relaxing. Bones, sellouts, unhooks so everything what's easy.

But what you shouldn't exaggerate are hier tier killer with 5 slowdown perks. Because you higher your expectations even more and you don't calm down. And once you play 100% with hate and anger and with the feeling of searching for revenge you most likely will lose and rage quit at one point.

So go for other objectives on more simple killer or survivor. Focus on sth different beside playing as efficient and perfect as possible. Sth to calm down and sth where you expect too not 4k :)

• ins0
    ins0 Member Posts: 118

Step 1 - STOP playing killer

Step 2 - Play Survivor in SWF

Step 3 - Buy however many cosmetics your wallet allows you to

Step 4 - ???

Step 5 - Congratulations! You just won DbD!

•  Antares2332
    Antares2332 Member Posts: 1,088

Actually, winning in DbD is when you get the achievement of reaching rank 1 in both sides. After that you shouldn't care about anything anymore.

• SandS_Hero
    SandS_Hero Member Posts: 29

I play her alot it's not as easy as simply playing her, I've been destroyed as her

• GRT_Alkaline
    GRT_Alkaline Member Posts: 226

Honestly mate, if you don't wanna get stressed about rank i can only suggest what i do, and that is not give a crap about rank.

I've been up in the single digit ranks on both survivor and killer side and at this moment i'm sitting at like mid teen ranks on both and it's not because i'm bad at the game on the contrary i'm actually really decent at it. but when it comes to my rank i just dont care about it because well it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I can only suggest that to stop getting stressed about your rank is to just stip caring about it and if it starts to stress you out too much then STOP, just stop playing the game for a couple of days or maybe a week and just not think about it.. because getting over stressed isn't worth it.

So in closing:

1.just don't care about rank and you'll enjoy the game much better.

2. If you really start to proper stress out over rank stop playing

• Pirate
    Pirate Member Posts: 427

how about then you remove the ranks from being visible and make them hidden? People would care less about "loosing" something and could focus more on having "fun".

• blurmcclure18
    blurmcclure18 Member Posts: 12

If you are playing on PC you can click on the chat bubble in the end game chat and it will hide the chat window in future matches. Truly reduced my stress from people just BM'ing to increase their ego. I wouldn't let people t-bagging or clicking flashlights get to you, some survivors just do it to get you to focus on them so their team can push gens, it is a valid strategy and not always toxic. And if you do find yourself getting too stressed out just take 10 minutes and do something else will definitely help out.

• ZaKzan
    ZaKzan Member Posts: 544

scoring doesn't reflect killing. You can kill 3 people and easily black pip. This is why the devs don't want to come out and explicitly state that a 'win' is 2k or whatever. The killer isn't supposed to kill in this game, the killer is supposed to chase and down survivors.

• catbeans
    catbeans Member Posts: 316

If you are close enough to get hit by a fake you were going to be hit regardless. Why can't people accept they got beat?

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

The ‘killer’ isn’t supposed to ‘kill’. Doesn’t that make them ‘hookers’ since they are supposed to ‘hook’?

• Dweeteater
    Dweeteater Member Posts: 37

Maybe try survivor? It's a gay olde time compared to Killer, lol. I play this game because: A) It makes me feel like a badass running around with Michael, overcoming 4 other humans that are desperately clawing and scratching to escape. And B) mostly to do the game and the Killers justice. Most people don't know how to apply a specific killers personality to a match and just play like bots.