The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

New Survivor Idea? Lgbt+ character

TargaryenChild
TargaryenChild Member Posts: 11
edited July 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

Hi guys! Yesterday I read a post (don't remember where) that said that Devs wanted to add more "diversity" in the survivors' cast. What about adding a drag queen? It would be definetely a nice concept, with interesting outfits and creative perks. Also, when I try to imagine a drag queen in dbd I instantly get Trixie Mattel, she's an active dbd player and streamer and I'm sure she'd be glad to help. Anyways this is just a very light idea. I want to know what kind of perks would you imagine a Drag queen would have in the game. (Let's hope she can have heels at least hahah)

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on

Comments

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

Oof sis you about to get so much hate. I wouldn’t mind it personally.

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 934

Well now, this discussion section just became such a drag 🥴 ....

• EnderloganYT
    EnderloganYT Member Posts: 621

I personally couldn't care for the sexuality of a video game character I'm sacrificing to an evil spider god with rusty hooks, but this ain't gonna go well for you.

IMO the best way to have an LGBTQ+ character would be either to casually slip it in as no big deal (as in putting in the line "she had a great life, a wonderful family, and a loving wife" or something, I don't know how to write good) or have them questioning or hiding their sexuality be an inciting incident (as in the main character had a troubling past when it came to finding the true them or hiding it from family/friends for fear of being rejected), but that's just me.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

We already have Ace with his crazy outfits...

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

Everything but a drag queen. Add an LGBT character of any sort, but not this.

I would give my opinion on the matter but i'd rather not risk the ban.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,090

I feel that this idea is a bit too much. I understand that people want the inclusion and everything but i feel like putting in an overly flamboyant character like that would be reaching a little. I feel the best way to do it would make them what they are, a person not a beacon. Make them like any other character but they have/had a same-sex relationship. If the characters aren't written in well it just seems like they're throwing in something to make money/appease that group.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870

Like who you want but not a drag queen definitely not a drag queen.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

It was until they made a big deal posting that they're changing that during pride month.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

I could get behind it from a cosmetic stand point. Drag Queens are some of the most artistic people.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

I'm with most people here so far: no, and for reasons I think are better left unspecified.

• TargaryenChild
    edited July 2020

It's sad to read some of the comments bc most of the arguments are "this isnt the right space for that". I didnt post this as a homosexual character. Drag queens represent a huge part of lgbt culture, and it would be an amazing door to cosmetics oportunities. Lit bit dissapointed

• Johnny_XMan
    edited July 2020

@TargaryenChild

That's why you'll see people say "For reasons I won't discuss"....🙄

I'll take a drag queen character where they got sent to the fog after a night at a drag show, so you see them maybe in like semi-painted face, dress etc. Bring it. I'm so tired of people bringing others down for their ideas because it doesn't 'fit' their close minded world.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101

I wouldn't mind character representing 'minorities' cultures as long as this character has some depth in them and is not only "I'm X, I'm proud to be X".

• Mak0
    Mak0 Member Posts: 251

Just make robin a legendary outfit for nancy

Problem solved¯\_()_/¯

• Johnny_XMan

@Justalittlepeeck

I can agree with that. I can get behind a fully-fleshed out story on said character.

I am just tired of people just pointing out "this doesn't belong here".... because it doesn't fit their stupid ideals.

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826

Honestly hate drag. Now slap a slim twink in a skirt and you got my vote though. Femboy > Drag

• Viziation
    Viziation Member Posts: 4

Lmao

Of course the first thing people think when the devs mentioned LGBT characters is adding a drag queen

• kate_best_girl
    kate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,184

No add a femboy instead

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

Whenever certain topics are raised, there are trolls that purposely start making the conversation political or hateful in an effort to get a thread shut down. Probably most of the time it works bc the mods don't want to spend time monitoring the topic and it's easier to just say "closed due to off-topic." I do think they can just reveal an existing Survivor and/or Killer lore with some info that identifies their sexual orientation. I believe we will see an openly LGTBQ+ character in DBD.

• LegionOfDumb
    LegionOfDumb Member Posts: 623

I see this happen all the time. The company or whoever creates it makes this big spectacle out of "wE'Ve GoT a gAy!" and soon every gaming News site and Twitter gremlin start acting like it's the second coming of christ, then every normal person of every orientation says it's not a big deal and suddenly they're called homophobic for just wanting to play a video game. Representation is great and all, just don't shove said representation down people's throats, nobody likes being lectured.

Make characters be LGBT+ in a natural way, not a circus show way, it's all I'll ever ask.

• Veen
    Veen Member Posts: 706

Debatable, most of the arguments got refuted by" but you're just homophobic" rather just close this thread if it's a one sided discussion.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

I don't think the game should encourage politics like this right now. At all. The Entity takes who it takes, regardless of whatever traits they have. You can make your own survivor, because there are millions trapped in the Fog. The devs do not need to make one just because they make up around a really small percentage of the world's total population.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

Not debatable, you see it all the time. I didn't say all or even most, I said there are trolls. That is not subject to debate. Not saying you're wrong about that accusation which is thrown out easily but I couldn't say "most" because idk.

• Gonourakuto
    Gonourakuto Member Posts: 109

I can understand what you want and I don't dislike the idea of a drag queen , I think it could be fun and I love trixie mattel

but I dislike the idea of the drag queen being the "gay representative" in the game tbh every characters can/could be considered as being "lgbt" that would be ridiculous and a bad way to represent us as a whole to be like "oh yeah this character is THE gay one because he is flamboyant ectect"

I don't mind if some of the currently existing characters also get some "pride cosmetics" to maybe int at the fact that they are gay but I don't feel good with a character that scream it on the roof like if it was all that mattered to this character persona , being gay is not a personality if i can say it like this , gay people are like everyone else , not all of us wear drag and are all about being "gay" ectect if that make sense

PS : I think we already have a pretty obvious gay character in the game anyway , look at ace , sorry but this dude is pretty gay from the way he moves and stands to the cosmetics he has in general

PSS : sorry if its hard to understand what I mean

• calem
    calem Member Posts: 533

They do this because surprise, LGBT people exist in everyday life. Everywhere. Whether you like it or not. It makes not a lot of sense to have every single character in a TV show, movie, or even a video game, be heterosexuals. Because that isn't the case.

In regards to the actual topic, I find it really ironic that most people on this thread are "they don't belong in this game". The reality of this game is the Entity takes whoever it pleases and does not care about their lifestyle. It could take someone who is a drag queen. It is not IMPOSSIBLE to add representation in a correct and meaningful way. It's not always "just because they're X". If people truly don't care what kind of survivors are added, then why does everyone here seem to care so much about a drag queen not being added?

• Gylfie
    Gylfie Member Posts: 643

As a gay guy (did I just come out on this forum? 🤔), I would absolutely hate to see a drag queen added to the game. This would not make me feel included or represented because I don't relate to that kind of thing at all. It is way too stereotypical, flamboyant and over the top and I don't like that that is what people think of when I tell them I'm gay. There you go, my reasoning.

I agree with many of the other comments I've read about just casually revealing that one of the characters has, or used to have, a same-sex relationship. This would keep it small, no big deal, and would still make gay people feel included.

• TargaryenChild

I really respect your opinion in this topic. As the devs have said before, they make characters so we as players can identify with. The purpose of this topic was to debate about a cultural element of lgbt+ culture. Even if you don't feel any connection with it.

Also I wanted to point out that this went crazy. I was hoping creative ideas of perks hahah. I really enjoyed reading you guys opinions. Some of you kinda got my idea and some went just "this isnt the place".

Remember that thinking someone is gay because of its clothes and gestures is to promote an stereotype. The same thing that many ppl argued before. Rlly? Ace gay cuz his clothes? Then why a crossdresser in a horror game that screams like crazy. It is something funny to work with.

• jack321
    jack321 Member Posts: 28

How do you know the current characters aren’t LGBT?

Or do you just want LGBT to be the defining factor of a character?

”who’s that?” that’s meg she’s a rough an tumble, scrappy bad ass with a heart of gold.

“who’s that?” Oh that Dwight, he’s a scaredy-cat who overcomes his fears to lead those he cares about to safety.

“who’s that?” That’s Jack, he’s gay.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,707

I wouldn’t mind a dragqueen but don’t make it over the top. Have a guy that is revealed to be in a straight relationship but happens to be a drag performer. Give him his everyday clothes and his performance clothes.

people here can’t even comprehend the idea that a dragqueen might not be gay XD kinda sad.

also pls don’t add a „real person“ to the game as survivor, they made a point to not add killers directly based on real world killers and that’s something that really wouldn’t fit in the game.

• Auron471
    Auron471 Member Posts: 1,310

As a furry, can we get a survivor who wears a fur suit? I mean. There is a disproportional amount of LGBT in the furry community, and thus having a guy furry character will knock out two birds with one survivor. :P

• Gylfie
    Gylfie Member Posts: 643

I love how your profile picture even fits with what you just said. xD

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,707

We have those Rabbit costumes from Silent Hill for Legion and Bunny Feng.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649

I do not like this idea at all.