Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

What killer is good for beginners?

I’ve been playing survivor for a long time now and have never even touched killer. I was wondering which one is the best to start with. I was thinking about playing the trapper or ghost face. Also if y’all got any tips about playing killer please share lol!

Answers

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

So, something about Killers that you need to know is that on a lot of them, you cannot make a reasonably cohesive build out of just their 3 perks and the base set of Killer perks. You just can't. To fix this, regardless of which Killer you end up liking, what you're going to want to do is get as many perks that function on nearly any Killer as possible.

The 3 I recommend going for first are BBQ and Chili, Enduring, and Brutal Strength. Those are on Cannibal, Hillbilly, and Trapper respectively. Everybody likes BBQ's tracking and Blood Points, most Killers end up taking pallets to the face so Enduring is handy, and most Killers end up kicking stuff so Brutal Strength will help.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    edited August 2020

My honest answer -- even though he's weak at high ranks -- is that Wraith is the best killer to start with. He is uncomplicated and gives you a good crutch to find survivors (which is something new players often struggle with), and his lack of any strong chase mechanics means that you have to become competent at the basics of running loops, hiding your red stain, and not overcommitting to unfavorable chases.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

Wraith has so many downsides though. He doesn't get you any useful teachable perks. He's heavily add on dependent, so you'll need to continue to toss lots of BP at him to keep him relevant. Also, he kinda needs some teachable perks available to him to function. Honestly starting off as a Billy that only uses the saw to get around is probably better than Wraith.

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

On the flipside , starting out as a saw lovin billy might give a scewed perception on how good killers can pressure the map and get downs.

I would recommend Wraith too. Or myers if available. The starting grind for decent perks is tough regardless of killer chosen.

• KiPi
    KiPi Member Posts: 43

I started with Wraith basically and I think it did good to get the basics down. If you want to have some nice perks to use you might want to start dumping bloodpoints into some killer (maybe farm those on survivor) before playing. Leatherface for BBQ&Chili is nice and I personally like Nurse's Calling a lot from Nurse. There are quite some perks you might want to have and the downside is that most are on different killers and it will cost you a lot of bloodpoints to get some nice builds starting.

Also you miiight want to wait a bit until your first games as the MMR system seems not good atm.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    edited August 2020

Agreed on all points, but I am thinking of this entirely from the perspective of acclimating to the killer role in general -- not the long-term road to unlocking perks or fussing over the bigger-picture meta. Any killer you start off with is going to be hobbled in some way because you are gonna be really limited in terms of your perk and loadout options. The point I was making about Wraith is that you have to learn the fundamentals in order to get anywhere with him, at which point you could "graduate" to a better killer with stronger and more nuanced mechanics.

Also, if matchmaking ever gets fixed, Wraith tends to be a bit of a noob-stomper too, because new players don't know what they're doing or how to handle him. So, assuming you are evenly matched during your early rounds, you should have a bit of breathing room despite Wraith's non-ideal larger-scope issues.