Killer Concept- The Time Flayer

Chromeskull
Chromeskull Member Posts: 250
edited August 2020 in Creations

A time-manipulation killer, the Time Flayer can slow survivors and distort the map with his power, Stranded Pendulum. His teachable perks, Temporal Blackout, Hex: Timefall, and Eye of the Future, allow him to deteriorate survivor tools and force them into difficult positions.

Base Stats

Movement Speed: 115%

Terror Radius:24 Meters

Height: Tall

Power: Stranded Pendulum

By pressing the power button, the Time Flayer can use his Bloody Pendulum to smash the ground, slowing down time across the map for 20 seconds, or speeding it up for 10 seconds. Slowing down or speeding up time does not affect survivors movement, but slows down gen work, healing, the fading of scratch marks, falling pallets, crows lifting off the ground, perk cooldowns and slowing down skill checks. Speeding up time also has no change to movement speed, however speeds up skill checks, killer perk cooldowns, generator regression speed, and bleed out. While Stranded Pendulum is active, pressing the active ability button allows the Time Flayer to throw the Temporal Axe. This can launch a single axe. that inflicts a survivor with exposed for the remaining duration of Stranded Pendulum. Stranded Pendulum has a 2 second use time.

Perks

Temporal Blackout: After you break a pallet, press the active ability button to instantly regress all nearby generators by 20/30/50%.

Eye of the Future: Survivors performing any form of action in the Killer's terror radius lose the charge of their tools 10/18/25% faster. You become immune to flashlights while on Bloodlust I,II, and III.

Hex: Timefall: While this hex is active, any survivor you down teleports their item to a dull totem, which then appears as a hex totem. The item is sent back to the original owner once the dull totem is cleansed or the hex totem is cleansed. Every item you take gives you a token.

1-2 Tokens- Gens regress 25% faster.

3-4 Tokens- You recover from pallet stuns 50% faster.

5-6 Tokens- You gain a obsession. The obsession suffers from the broken status effect.

7-8 Tokens- You can now kill your obsession.

Appearance: A massive killer, the Time Flayer has the same size and silhouette of the Oni, but is dressed in a Pig black leather outfit and frock coat. He wears a blue bloodstained teddy bear mask, and drags a massive, black pendulum axe behind him like PH. His attack recovery animation shows him wiping the blood of his blade and flicking it to the ground.

Memento Mori: The Time Flayer plunges the dull end of his axe down the survivors throat, until the top of the blade slashes through the survivors jaw. Then the Time Flayer yanks the head of the survivors body.

Post edited by Chromeskull on

Comments

• Primalux135
    Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045

Well if you want him to be nerfed 3h after release its a god idea.

• Chromeskull

Please tell me what parts you consider OP so I can actually change it to make it more fair.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

I love the concept of a killer that manipulates time, but this is a little weird. I think it would be better if using stranded pendulum affected the whole map but didn't affect the survivors move speed, cause thats a little too much. How would Eye of Time work on indoor maps? And what does the night ability do? And Time Dash sounds like Spirit 2.0. As for perks, Temporal blackout sounds super situational, Hex: Timefall sounds like Franklins Demise but worse. Eye of The Future just seems weak. I still really like the idea though.

• Chromeskull

Thanks for giving me some constructive criticism. I'll soon edit it to make it more fair and balanced.

• Inferno427
    Inferno427 Member Posts: 232

I like the idea, I'm just not 100% sure about your implementation.

How big is the time slowdown? Pallet sized? Shack sized?

It seems pretty ridiculous that you can cut someone's speed in half if it's too big and the action speed penalties seem pointless if it's too small. I think removing the movement speed penalty and making the duration infinite, but only one can exist at a time would be better. Block off a particular generator.

What does turning it to night do?

20 seconds to turn it do day is a very short amount of time. Maybe 60s? Idk bloodlust increasing is also a very odd detail.

How long does time dash last? How do you deactivate it? Is there a cooldown or can you attack immediately like spirit?

Temporal blackout is useless. I don't see why you'd want to stop hooks being sabotaged immediately after a gen pop or why it has such weird duration amounts. 17 seconds is a very odd number. 10/10 perk, very realistic to actual bhvr perks.

Eye of the future is literally just 2 perks combined into one. Survivors will never flashlight you while you're in chase. They're wait for you to be stuck in an animation like with breaking a pallet, which stops bloodlust, or while picking someone up, which means you've downed them and don't have bloodlust. This is just mother's helpers all over again.

Timefall just seems like a weirder version of Franklin's. Do you mean that the item teleports next to the totem or that it teleports inside of the totem?

• Chromeskull

I reworked it almost completely. Try reading it again and tell me if u like it.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Ok so to break it down:

1 - Terror radius. Why is it 24 meters instead of 32? He isn't a 110% Killer and his power neither interacts with the TR nor does it need a power boost that a smaller TR would give.

2 - You need to define the size of the area effected by his power.

That said, assuming it's the size of clowns bottles it's a bit overloaded. The only relevant effect is the slowdown since 20 seconds isn't relevant for general completions given that you start out in the center of the area.

If it's much larger (and I do mean MUCH larger, like 12 meters ect), then the action speed slowdown and tracking suddenly makes sense, but the movement speed slowdown would be completely and utterly busted. In all honesty it's still busted with a smaller radius but at least then it's less of an auto-win button and more of a trap mechanic.

Moonlight manipulation is not a valid ability for technical reasons. The devs tried and had to remove the relevant offerings that used to do this. So that has to be scrapped entirely, it also doesn't really do much anyways.

Day time is... kinda pointless? 20 seconds of daylight for 5 seconds of committed time isn't worth it unless it does something completely crazy, but all this does is give him impossible skill check build synergy for no real reason. Why is this a thing again? Especially given that it slows you down.

Eye of time is literally just the spirits power without a cooldown. Obviously that's not ok.

Ultimately though, the issue here is that the Killer is trying to do too many things at once.

He has 3 separate powers

the first has 3 effects (action speed slowdown, ms slowdown, aura reading)

the second has 5 effects (blindness, skill check odds increase, bloodlust buildup increase, visibility increase and ms decrease)

the third has "only" 2 effects (ms increase and 2 way invisibility)

That's a total of 10 completely different effects packed into a single kit with no real unifying strategy. These abilities aren't synergizing with each other nor are they building towards a single cohesive playstyle.

Try and pair down the effects to as few as possible in order to get the idea to work and flesh that out as much as possible. It's not that having a lot of mechanics is inherently bad, but that the mechanics need to feed into each other in one way or another.

Like how ghostfaces stalk, reveal and stealth mechanics all work together to create an ambush based Killer that needs to take careful consideration into LoS going both ways and find unexpected angles to approach from.

Or how Plagues vile purge shuts down altruism with corrupt giving a payoff if the Survivors try to group up anyways.

Or even Freddies lullaby not portraying distance to the Survivor making it possible to use his teleport to cut off a Survivor unexpectedly

And the Executioners trials let him see a Survivor through walls to set up a punishment of the damned shot, and his cages let him snowball instanely hard in combination thus supporting his hyper-chase playstyle given by his anti-loop.

Try and create something like that if you are going to have several powers. Where the powers make you want to combine their effects for a big payoff rather than just being able to use a desperate set of abilities.

Also try and pin down exactly what this Killer is trying to be.

How does this Killer get downs? How does his abilities play into the utility he is supposed to have? What play-style does this Killers want Survivors to have? How does the Survivor go about countering this Killer? If they are countering the Killer, how can a sufficiently skilled Killer player potentially win anyways? (Note: The answer to that last question should always require the use of hard reads. Otherwise it's not much of a counter in the first place).

• NuclearBurrito

Gah! And I just finished making my analysis.

I guess I have to make another one now ;(

• NuclearBurrito

Ok this iteration is missing some information.

In particular:

What is the magnitude of the slowdown/speedup?

How long does the power take to activate?

How fast does the Killer move while activating his power?

How exactly does temporal bow work? (charge time, velocity, range, special properties ect)

• NuclearBurrito

Also what exactly do you mean by slowing down falling pallets? Pallets don't fall. They are thrown by Survivors.

• NuclearBurrito

Temporal Blackout: After you break a pallet, press the active ability button to instantly regress all nearby generators by 20/30/50%.

How long after you break a pallet? And define "nearby".

Eye of the Future: Survivors performing any form of action in the Killer's terror radius lose the charge of their tools 10/18/25% faster. You become immune to flashlights while on Bloodlust I,II, and III.

This is just overwhelming presense but even worse somehow. The bloodlust effect doesn't matter since you lose bloodlust when you break a pallet or down a Survivor, which are the times when being blinded matters.

And overwhelming presence is useless at 100%, so it's definitely useless at 25%.

Hex: Timefall: While this hex is active, any survivor you down teleports their item to a dull totem, which then appears as a hex totem. The item is sent back to the original owner once the dull totem is cleansed or the hex totem is cleansed. Every item you take gives you a token.

1-2 Tokens- Gens regress 25% faster.

3-4 Tokens- You recover from pallet stuns 50% faster.

5-6 Tokens- You gain a obsession. The obsession suffers from the broken status effect.

7-8 Tokens- You can now kill your obsession.

Why is this also franklins? Just have the perk give tokens on any down and have no explicit item interaction.

Also by the time you get 8 downs a mori is completely redundant since everyone will be at least 2 hooked by then.

Either way though, it's outclassed by devour hope in terms of payoff and scaling speed.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

This is a lot more defined, nice job! I think its balanced way better and has a proper use. Literally my only problem is that I think Temporal Blackout is a little too powerful, like Pop but better. This is one of my favorite concepts.

• bubbabrotha
    bubbabrotha Member Posts: 1,138

I think the appearance is a little odd. I think it would be cooler as a mind flayer.

• Chromeskull

I had a lot of dilemma with the appearance. At first I wanted to go that route, with supernatural beings and all that, but the mind flayer is way too godlike and eldritch for what I was hoping for. So I decided that he was like a serial killer, who became a form of time traveller to punish anything that could disrupt the timeline. Who made him into a time traveller? IDK.