What qualifies as tunneling?

Options

I'm confused. i thought tunneling was focusing a single survivor until he is dead, but i keep being told im a tunneler for hitting the survivor who was unhooked, even after downing the guy who rescued him (no camping, but rather people waiting near the hook)

So i have to ignore the guy who was unhooked entirely?

Comments

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,056
    edited August 2020
    Options

That's what Survivors would prefer, but your definition of tunneling is the correct one. If someone is dumb enough to unhook with you presumably right there without Borrowed Time, that's not on you. I slug off hook when I can to maintain pressure. Though I do refrain from re-hooking them. Decisive Strike aside, it's the kind of thing I personally hate running into when I play Survivor so I try not to inflict it myself.

Alternatively, if you happen to run into the last guy unhooked while chasing someone else, which sounds like what happened in your post, that's just bad luck on their part.

On the flip side, if you were actively chasing the recently unhooked Survivor to the exclusion of the rescuer or anyone and anything else, that would be tunneling and you'd deserve to be DS'ed in that scenario.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Tunelling is doing anything that the survivor in question does not like. That is the gist of it, at least in the current state of DbD.

In reality, "tunneling" someone is when you focus on them and them alone to the point of becoming unreasonable, getting "tunnel vision" on them. The term came about as a distinction from normal gameplay, I.E. punishing teammate-farming and/or going after the vulnerable person and/or chasing the only person you see because their teammates are being stealthy. When you aren't really fulfilling the above criteria, as in there are clearly other people around that are in more vulnerable positions (extremely common in DbD) and you still choose to go for the person with the largest number of hooks, that's ACTUAL "tunelling".

But of course, many people are extremely lazy and arrogant, thinking that the killer should have the decency to not touch them and actively let them go regardless of what they themselves are doing and what led to the current situation. Naturally, since you (the killer) are the one chasing them, it's your fault, even though their teammates could have made the (correct and reasonable) decision to either not farm you, or take the heat when the killer shows up. This was not really helped by the DS change, making it an anti-tunnel perk (in the words of the Devs at the time of the original change whilst describing why they made the timer 60 seconds). The change to DS made a lot of these arrogant people think that "tunnelling" and "stabbing the killer" are the same things.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826
    Options

You don't have to ignore him, but don't complain when they use BT and DS against you.

• sad_killer_main
    sad_killer_main Member Posts: 785
    Options
  • OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

Tunneling is when the killer is on the same map as the survivors.

• Zani22
    Zani22 Member Posts: 444
    Options

Tunnelling is when you tunnelled them a new. There bum is still sore hence why there complaining

• Xzan
    Xzan Member Posts: 907
    Options

Tunneling is if you ignore everything to focus one specific survivor.

If they run straight into you or self care under the hook it's not tunneling. Same goes for baiting BT-Hits or using OoO. If a survivor makes themself a Target it's not tunneling, too.

You can ignore them. But that's up to you.

• Deathslinger
    Deathslinger Member Posts: 570
    Options

Did you kill a survivor? You can’t do that, it’s tunneling.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    Options

I used an iri button on legion today and kept everyone mending/injured and got accused of tunneling. I was like cool story bro.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

Tunneling has more or less become a buzzword survivors use for when they lose.

Same goes for camping as I have seen survivors call out the killer for campign when he was mori-ing everyone with Devour Hope....A perk whose effects literally can not activate if you camp hooked survivors.

Btw REAL tunneling is going after the same person over and over again ignoring everyone else.

REAL camping is staying within 16~ meters of a hooked survivor when there is no real reason to(Its not camping even to the game if your chasing someone near a hooked person according to the emblem system).

The mere fact I have to point out the definitions of tunneling/camping is rather sad.