What makes The Spirit so good?

Options

I've been playing killer for about two years, I've got experience using every killer pretty extensively and I'm moderately skilled, I suppose. Thing is, I have always struggled playing Spirit. Her strategy seems like it should be so simple but I find managing her power to "trick" or "mind-game" players just doesn't work for me, or at least not in my favor.

So, I'm hoping an experienced player can let me in to what you're mindset and strategy is while playing The Spirit.

Comments

• Toastyy
    Toastyy Member Posts: 226
    edited September 2020
    Options

What makes Spirit good is the fact that she is very unpredictable and her mind game potential is very strong. Not knowing where she’s coming from is very strong and even the best survivors can have a hard time telling where she is or what she will do.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,038
    Options

Basically survivors have a hard time loop-locking her so they get upset.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    edited September 2020
    Options

- Her chase potential is 10/10 as her phasewalk is fast and unpredictable allowing her to consistently down survivors in a short period of time.

- Her mobility is 10/10 as well as she can move around in her phasewalk with 100% movement control as opposed to Hillbilly for instance. As a result her mobility isn't affected by map design. Multiple floors and stairs? She doesn't care. She ALWAYS moves quickly from point A to point B.

- she can find survivors quickly due to her phasewalk as people can't hide everytime they hear the phase sound thus shortening the phases between searching, hooking and chasing people. This naturally increases her map pressure.

- the unpredictable nature of her phasewalk allows her to target-switch A LOT throughout the match which can result in many unexpected and sudden hits.

• DontNerf
    DontNerf Member Posts: 990
    Options

She has everthing killers should have and more, she has mindgames, Map preasure, chase potential and most of all she's unpredictable she breaks the mold. Spirit doesnt play the survivors game she's what a killer should be which is the power role, All this makes spirit the most hated killer on DBD at this time.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

Her ability deprives the one thing that the Survivor game is based around: information.

There is no feedback on what she is doing with her power, while she retains almost all information about what survivors are doing.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

She receives 2x the information survivors do?!

She cannot see them, and blood isn’t visible if they’re injured.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

A lot of things, for starters her power gives her massive map pressure, allows her to proxy camp, if using Stridor is impossible to counterplay, can be used to down people easily, also she is short (especially with cosmetics that change her hairstyle) and has a 24 meter Terror Radius.

Her only drawback is she moves at 110% which is not a big deal as phasewalking makes up for her slower speed in chases.

• PassarinoT
    PassarinoT Member Posts: 909
    Options

Survivors cannot see her true location, so that's fair to them. She can see the grass move where they are, but not the opposite.

She can hear directionally as to where survs are, but the only audio they receive is just a phase noise outside of TR, and footsteps if suuuper close. She gets way more info than them, you just gotta think about it.

• Enlyne
    Enlyne Member Posts: 429
    Options

She gets a lot of info and also has complete invisibility unlike Wraith, there's no telling what she can do, it could be the most dumb move in dbd's history that could be dodged by a rank 20 newbie and still hit you.

She gets a good nurse's level of rewards, for a very, very low skill ceiling, she is one of the easiest in the game and gets too much reward for it, hence the main reason why she's one of the most played by far.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

That passive phasing add on is an absolute nightmare to play against. One of my least favorite in the game.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

I wouldn't say she gets Nurse level rewards but she breaks the game in a similar way too Nurse when a good player is behind the controls, where the survivors actions don't really factor into the outcome of a chase at all. No matter their skill level.

Taking a gamble when the other side has all the cards isn't an enjoyable or satisfying experience to me. If I get lucky an manage to actually drop a pallet or guess correcly on a vault I don't really feel anything. If I juke a good Billy or Huntress' yoga ball hatchets I feel like a god for 10 seconds until they outplay me, and I can tell when I played wrong and the killer outplayed me. Even complimenting them post game.

Spirit I just feel "damn, good headphones" or "Oh, stridor. well done" and instead of knowing where I went wrong it feels like there was no outcome where I could have possibly dodged the attack because she appears 0.5 seconds before the attack hits.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,828
    Options

she can end chases extremely fast and also has decent mobility with her power. Also, it doesnt really take much to be good with her

• BodamEscapePlan
    BodamEscapePlan Member Posts: 75
    Options

Thank you for all the answers, guys!

I guess I never realized how nasty her Passive Phasing can be when playing as a Survivor. I've honestly never played a good Spirit but my Survivor experience is very limited, as in I just started playing that side in the past few weeks. I'm going to have to do some experimenting with her to see if I can play her well because when I do play her (for Dailies and Tomes) I never do well but I think I've been using her completely the wrong way.

**One last question...**

Is there any streamers or specific videos someone could point me to, so I can see high-level Spirit gameplay in action?

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    Options

Go to his channel, go to videos and hit CTRL+F and type in Spirit. He plays all sorts of killers but you can get some really good info off of him.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2020
    Options

She gives no feedback, and can equip a particularly cheesy perk to gain easy access to the info she needs without requiring any skill or mindgames.

Edit: as to playing her, don't use her power for mobility. 110 isn't drastically slower outside of a loop, so just walk there and use her power to position yourself on the side of the loop where the survivor is and it's pretty much a free hit.