Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Server-sided hit reg can't come soon enough

Hello fellow gamers,

i play very often and on a very high rank survivor and sometimes killer. Today i played against 5 matches and out of them 3 were against russian killers with garbage connection. I could tell by the first hit i got that they have a bad connection. How? You might ask. In this post i will try to explain why killer-sided hit registration is so bad as it is right now and why red ranks in europe are dominated by russians.

First let me explain some technical stuff:

Survivor<------->DBD Dedicated Server<------->Killer

Communication goes in both directions to the server from survivors or from the killer. So your ping in milliseconds (also known as round-trip time) to the server is the time it takes to send a packet (encoded message) and receive a response. That means when you have a ping of 50, usually it takes about 25 milliseconds (ms) to get your packet to the server and 25 ms to reach your pc, console, phone or whatever back.

The server manages everything about the game like: player positions, health states, gens done, etc. With the exception of hit detection.

Now lets imagine a survivor that has a ping of 50ms and a killer that has a ping of 200ms.

When the survivor makes a move, it gets send to the server and arrives 25 ms later now his new position gets send to the killer and arrives about 100ms later. In total he moves 125ms later on the killer side than he pressed the forward button.

So why is that a problem?

Since the hit detection is on the killer side the survivor is actually about 100ms further away from the killer than it seems for the killer. 100ms may not seem much but if the killer decides to hit, the survivor might already be far away on the other side of the window but it doesnt matter because on the killers perspective he is 125ms behind which can make a huge difference between hit or miss. The game on the killers side calculates that it was in fact a hit and tells the server to update the survivors health state and the server basically says "ok" and does that even though the survivor might actually be not anymore in hit distance. In contrast the killers position on the survivor side is 125ms behind his actual position (on the survivors screen). This is basically rewarding killers that have a bad connection.

If you ever experienced such hits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAze1ThXiOY

It is most certainly a killer that has a very poor connection.

I have to mention that this system is easily abusable because you could in theory send packets to the server that you hit survivors even though you are like 50m away and the server would accept that.

Why would server-sided hits improve this?

It would improve that the calculation if it was a hit or miss would be on the server. If you have a decent connection and ping then not much will change for but if you have a bad connection then hits that look that they should have hit the server will just deny. Now if we bring here the upper example the hit would be calculated on the server side so the survivors position only deviates 25ms behind the position that is saved on the server and the killers position is 100ms behind. Now the hit calculation would be fairer.

TL;DR: Killers are broken when you as a killer have crappy internet connection.

Comments