Blight’s problem isn’t that he’s bad.

In all honesty I like the blight in every other category besides gameplay. His story, look and music are all great, so big props too that. However his gameplay is definitely the big bad doo doo dad here, but it’s not that it’s bad, it’s that it’s not that easy to pick up.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m bad with blight and I don’t think I’ll ever get good cause I don’t have the patience and the will to play him. I’d say the same goes for many others here, that he’s bad and unfun to play which I gotta agree with. Now of course I’ve seen a good blight once in a blue moon, and then there’s the streamers/YouTubers. But I think that he’s like nurse in a way, he needs a lot of practice and time. Only difference is that heres mot too much pay off to learning him.

Maybe I’m wrong and feel free to share your opinion, but I got the same feeling I did when I played nurse the first time. Only difference here is with nurse I could actually see I was getting better, with blight though? I still can’t seem to tell, sometimes (rarely) I can get a 4K on Macmillan and then get absolutely mopped on Swamp. Map also is a heavy factor but we all know that.

Anyways, feel free to speak your mind on whatever it is, new outlooks are always welcomed!

Comments

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503

Yeah, what's the point of getting in a chase when your character physically lacks the kit to do anything at all and your only chance of getting a hit is if the Survivor makes mistakes on their end, making every single chase against a competent Survivor ultimately a total waste of time?

It's just Legion 2: Hallowed Blight Boogaloo.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,068

I mean, sure, some players might want a Killer with no reasonable Counterplay to win chases, but getting into chases quick and having somewhat normal chases (you can also get Hits with his ability, it is not impossible at all, but will not work at the common structures) is also a great ability.

Like, see someone on BBQ and be there in 10 seconds or so. This is great and also a tool for Map Pressure other than "fake the shot..fake the shot...M1 because I am close now".

(All of my opinions obviously subject to change, since Blight is new)

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited September 2020

I just think his rush should be a little more forgiving.

He needs a much wider rush hit swing arc. Basically exactly what they did with Oni in his most recent buff where they gave him a 180 "flick". I also think he should have a longer post rush lunge hit. Think Nurse post blink hit basically where it lunges far and semi follows the target, that kinda feeling. It's there to make her blink a little more forgiving.

I think he's actually pretty decent, but if he doesn't get these changes for the flick and lunge he's gonna get dumped on by good survivors. The counter play is too easy. You can literally 360 his lunge hit because it doesn't have a wide enough flick and they can turn further than your hit can. You try and follow their turn and end up hitting the invisible turn wall limit that prevents you from continuing to turn with them. It ends up making you feel cheated out of a lot of hits you feel like you should've landed.

He is honestly so close to being a really solid A tier killer if he just got these small tweaks.

Post edited by Blueberry on
  • gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

His skill floor is unusually high for a killer. It feels like the last killer like this was huntress maybe Oni

Im having tons if fun even when failing with him tbh

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2020

Do you even killer?

"What's the point of mobility?"

There is so much to unpack with that one statement that I don't even want to begin. I just really felt the need to highlight it, considering the weakness of m1 killers is their lack of mobility thanks to the m1 aspect being mitigated by skill and the tile-chaining being mitigated by... Oh, right. Mobility.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

Problem is, against a Survivor of equal skill a "normal chase" will last ages and you'll sacrifice a minimum of a gen just downing them. Again, who cares about mobility if you can't do anything with it?

And sure, getting hits with the ability is possible... if the Survivor doesn't know how to run to the side.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

No point in mobility if you can't do anything with it.

M1 isn't mitigated by skill on the Killer's side one-tenth as much as it is mitigated by mistakes on the Survivor's side—egregious ones.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    edited September 2020

I feel blight has the exact opposite problem spirit, Freddy and old billy had, he offers too little for how difficult he is. I think his skill ceiling could be reduced a bit, maybe they could make compound 33s ability to break pallets base.

• MadLordJack

Then break the pallet and hit them if they're that good at playing tiles. He's Blight, not Legion, he doesn't wait for them to get somewhere else because of limited movement speed. You can absolutely hit with his Lethal Rush, because they can only dodge if if they have something to hide behind. I figured that out in my second match. And even if you dont hit them, for whatever reason, you're still right next to them, between tiles, ripe for a slap. So slap them.

Seriously, he has one of the best chases in the game. Even tiles he's forced to play like an m1 killer (which are only about half of them) he can still just zone, break and hit before they can chain. Then you hook them and zoom around them map for another chase, ten seconds after your last one ended, because he has the absolute best mobility in the game.

• Lazerboy88
    Lazerboy88 Member Posts: 517
    edited September 2020

Then you do something with it, thats when the men are separated from the kids, thats when your skill as a killer comes into play! He is insanely strong when you learn how to play him and I can’t wait to see what tricks people come up with! Mobility is huge in this game being able to hook a survivor and be on another within 10 seconds is godly for pressure.

Also you can do something with mobility.. its called traversing the map.. since you seem to think his mobility is useless..

• Demogordon_Ramsay

Press A on your keyboard.

Use windows.

Don't just waste the pallet and actually be good with your resources.

Turn around a corner.

There, four foolproof ways to completely take away Blight's power. Do with them what you will.

• Lazerboy88

Like I said, thats when your skill as a killer comes into play, mind game moon walk, hide your red light, once they drop pallet or you get a hit, use your power to get right back on them. Surprisingly enough, some people enjoy killers that don’t go down to just get hit or get hit guessing games.

• Jeffalations
    Jeffalations Member Posts: 57

Your'e absolutely right about his story, looks, and music. His story is scary and intense, and it matches his looks and even the sounds he makes. His music is definitely the best in the game, except for maybe the classic dbd theme. His terror radius is just awesome and it is genuinely scary.

• MadLordJack

Great, I'll just hit you because I'm not stupid and I actually use his power in loops to force pallets.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

I think he's decent however. But he feels like more of a map mobility killer then a chase killer. He struggles a lot on chases and on some tiles. So my advice would be just use him for now to get around the map and then once you get a good idea of his movement then you can try to use his power in chases but don't use his power all the time the same applies for a lot of the killers like Clown, Huntress, Deathslinger, and Demo. Either way he's decent he just takes time, I'm sorry your struggling to play him, I was very pissed at times to play him for he felt so torturous to play. But now I have a good idea on how to play him so he is not as bad. But good luck man and hope you can play him well

• Spooky13
    Spooky13 Member Posts: 1,471

I've been playing nothing but addonless Blight on console for the past 3 days and I think the one change he needs is just a better Lethal Rush lunge. Survivors just have to move out of like a 40 degree cone and they're safe. His lunge is so easy to dodge it's upsetting. I've played a few survivor games against him as well and I still feel the same, his lunge is too easy to dodge. I understand he is still very new and difficult to learn but that's just my two cents. Also just move his camera up please. His mobility is still scary good though, just buff his lunge range and he'll definitely be solid B or A tier.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I feel we are not yet at the point of saying it doesn't pay off to learn him

Nurses weren't all that good the first week she came out too and she had a gazilion blinks back then

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

The problem is that it's been less than a week and everyone thinks that they're suddenly an expert on him now that he's been released. My usual philosophy for situations like this is wait AT LEAST an month before we start getting down to the nitty-gritty about new content.

• goatslinger
    goatslinger Member Posts: 522

If you wait until you're right on the survivor before hitting m1 he hits them immediately instead of lunging. Almost impossible to dodge as survivor.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

And that's when you realize that Survivors can hardcore loop you in your power with insane advantages at most loops, and just run around an object to prevent you from hitting them with Rush once you break the pallet. Your skill is irrelevant when the counterplay to the Killer both in and out of their power it's so amazingly simple that trying to actually be a big brain about it will likely hurt you.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

If a Survivor is having pallets forced by a Killer who physically has worse turning than Hillbilly when using their power, it's not because you're using his power well.

• Lazerboy88

yes his turning speed on lunge is difficult but you can still catch survivor off guard, he has a high skill cap so? He still has mobility, and he can be mastered. Skill is very relevant with this killer. Have you tried playing him and actually tried learning him?

• Sonzaishinai

It doesn't really matter if they run around an object if there is no pallet or window nearby

Who cares if you can't hit them with your power when you have a attack cooldown of a second and you're right next to the survivor

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    edited September 2020

Yes, I have tried learning him and going against him, and I've learned that the counterplay to him is incredibly simple. What's the point of mastering him when the counterplay takes a thousandth of the time to nail? It's like mastering Legion. What's the point?

If they just fixed the lunge, it would actually be hard to counter a good Blight and he'd be worth mastering. But right now? Absolutely not.

First off, it's longer than a second. That's not even taking into account things like wonky collision forcing a bump or vice versa, making you Rush past them.

Second off, even if it were just a second, if the Survivor runs forward, one second of stun is 4 meters of distance. At 115 speed, it takes 6 and two thirds of a second for you to catch up to that, for almost 8 seconds of time the Survivor has to find a window or a pallet. If the Survivor knows their tiles, that's plenty of time.

• Sonzaishinai

Forgot one little detail in your calculations there

Killers can lunge

You only need to be within 4m to get a hit, so as you calculated if you start the fatigue as close to them as possible and there isn't a pallet or window right there they are getting hit

Ofcourse assuming you fatigue as close to them as possible. If you rush past them that's on you

• Lazerboy88

You are making this way too specific just to make him sound worse then he actually is. He really isn’t that bad and is very strong, if you can watch all these streamers, youtubers, and fellow players do well and still say he is horrible well I don’t know what to tell you

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

Foolproof? I get survivors tryig that stuff against me. It's cute.

I'd bet that a lot of the people here talking about how weak Blight is will be back here in a couple of months raging about how "Blight has no counterplay! Reeeeeeee!"

• Demogordon_Ramsay

"You only need to be within 4m to get a hit"

LMAOWHAT

Here's some math:

Killers lunge at a speed of 6.9 meters per second. Survivors move at a speed of 4 meters per second. This means that lunging at a running Survivor will close the distance at a rate of 2.9 meters per second. A lunge lasts for 0.3 seconds. This means that a full lunge will close 0.87 meters of distance, AT MOST. I say "at most" because this isn't even taking into account the fact that 6.9 meters per second is only the maximum speed; the lunge has a ramp-up and a ramp-down.

In conclusion: No. You cannot fatigue and then immediately lunge after a Survivor to get a hit. A lunge will shave off, at the absolute most, 1.4 seconds of time in the scenario I described above. Otherwise known as: NOT ENOUGH TIME TO PREVENT THE SURVIVOR FROM FINDING A WINDOW OR PALLET.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

This is a specific scenario where the Survivor knows what they're doing. I understand this is really specific since, you know, most Survivors don't know what they're doing, but once you get past that insurmountable circumstance it's literally just basic math and map knowledge.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

At some point it was funny to see them go pinball behind you, meanwhile it is just sad. It is not even enough to make me laugh anymore, please fix this killer it is super boring to play against blight.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    edited September 2020

Also, regarding this advice:

"if you can watch all these streamers, youtubers, and fellow players do well and still say he is horrible well I don’t know what to tell you"

You know who I do watch play Blight?

Hanging the Blight Main and TechyTheClown, the current 2 best Blight players in the world, according to the DBD leaderboards. And you know what Techy thinks? Everything about Blight is fantastic except for that unholy Rush lunge turning.

• Lazerboy88

Yes thats what everyone thinks but ya know.. that doesn’t make him horrible.. just his one weakness, he still has stupid strong mobility and can STILL get hits with his power.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

No, he can't. Not if the Survivors are good at the one thing he is incapable of doing: X-axis movement.

• Sonzaishinai

Okay i love numbercrunching as much as the next guy but can you think about the answers you got

If a lunge only covers 0.87m of distance that would mean you would be in striking distance less then a quarter of a second from a full range lunge

Error with that calculation is that lunges last way longer then 0.3 seconds. Another number added without really thinking about it.

Again i love numbercrunching and theorising but the theory and practise of this game are massivly different.

Many of these calculations just don't happen in real games

You can calculate all you want but from my experience of playing and watching this killer if you miss right next to the survivor they are going down 2 seconds later unless there is a pallet right there

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,262

They heard survivor's complaints of "Killer has no counter-play" and decided, to reverse the problem and give killer player zero counter-play to killer to what survivor is doing. He is like only killer power that when your out of position, you physically can't confirm the hit due to lunge 45 degree turning restriction. Its not even same as Oni, Oni can stop using his demon dash and just walk with his demon strike and hit you, but blight can not really stop his power mid-way, he is forced to take fatique as survivor loops around any object, it can literally be a rock, a box, a circular ring like yamoka without any pallets around. He is still fun to play and if survivor does make small mistake, you can do quick turn and get cheek hits but its still depressing to miss randomly.

• YehBoiGoku
    YehBoiGoku Member Posts: 248

I personally think that he is a great and fun killer that is fun for both sides. The people who complain about him are usually the people who can't even play blight correctly.

He has a high skill cap! So what? It's stupid that people NEED to complain about something all the time. There is finally a really well designed killer and all these people, can't cope with the fact that he needs skill. The only thing that is busted is the compound 22 add on and another one that is purple that I forgot the name of.

His lunge isn't even that bad once you get used to it. The plays you can do with him are very rewarding as well. At least give it a couple weeks before you guys start complaining. There is ofc some other add ons that make him really busted and fun, but those are the main ones.

• YehBoiGoku
    YehBoiGoku Member Posts: 248
    edited September 2020

Only downside that in many cases you can just turn a bit and the killer will miss. I only had that problem when I was still learning him.

Edit: He has couple more like looping around rocks and boxes etc. He also needs add ons to make him really good

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    edited September 2020

"If a lunge only covers 0.87m of distance that would mean you would be in striking distance less then a quarter of a second from a full range lunge"

How. Literally how.

You enter post-Rush fatigue for 2.5 seconds (yes, 2.5 seconds. Not one 1 second. Check the DBD wiki. Or just count it in your head yourself.) In that time, the Survivor is moving at a rate of 4 meters per second. At 4 meters per second, a Survivor can travel 10 meters in 2.5 seconds. The Killer moves at 4.6 meters per second, meaning they catch up to that Survivor at a rate of 0.6 meters per second. If 10 - 0.87 = 9.13, that means it takes over 15 seconds before you are in lunging distance.

But hey, 15 seconds isn't that much longer than 0.25 seconds, right?

"Error with that calculation is that lunges last way longer then 0.3 seconds. Another number added without really thinking about it."

Sorry, you were saying?

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

if you suck at nurse blight might be the killer you go to since he is a 115% killer that has great map traversal and a decent to great ability for downing people. even if you miss a lethal rush you can probably catch up after the cool down and just m1 them before they make it to anything depending on the situation.

If they do buff the degree he can turn during a lunge he will probably jump up into the top tier killer if he had that and it could make him a speedy nurse. like how many times have you barely missed a lunge using his power? It happens to me at least 3 times a match and if i go against a good survivor you might as well double that number.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,161

I can't stand The Blight's POV. Before I can even figure out his power, I have to play him as an M1 killer just to get used to feeling like my eyes are on my knees. I can't track for [BAD WORD] like that. I find a survivor, I start a chase, I quickly lose the survivor without ever even attempting to use his power because his POV is absolutely terrible. I don't even know what to do with that. It's just a miserable experience. So far I hate everything about him except his perks.

And I just go afk if I'm playing as him on Badham. That map is not smooth no matter who I play as, but as Blight? The frame drops are ridiculous, and the game is damn near unplayable if he hits Bloodlust. Screw that, I'd rather turn off my controller and conserve battery power for a match I can actually participate in.

I feel kind of bad playing as survivor against Blight. He always goes rushing past me. I step out of the way and it's just zoom! right by and he's halfway across the map before he can turn around and come back at me.

• Chilidawg
    Chilidawg Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2020

He's actually really good he just takes practice. If your not willing to learn the killer then that's on you but he doesn't need a buff to compensate for people that refuse to get gud. You don't use his power at small loops there's no point you just play him like a normal m1 killer. His strengths are mobility around the map and catching people in bad positions or during transitions from loop to loop. Try brutal strength and use his power after breaking the pallet and you will catch up to the survivor before they make it to the next loop. He takes a lot of practice and skill but i'm having great success with him in red ranks getting 32k games pretty consistently. If your having trouble try equipping the turning addons there's a green one and a yellow one they both are great for getting the hang of him.

• Sonzaishinai

Okay you got me with the lunge time, 0.87m was just way of for me but I realise now. the calculation look where the killer is but don't take into acount the hitbox that shoots a distance in front of the killer. That's why it felt off. My bad, I should have really double checked that

And after actually timing it the post-rush the cooldown is indeed 2.5 seconds

Still that calculation assumes the survivor always knows the direction of the nearest palet/window, that they always take the most optimal path to it and that the killer just follows the survivor directly in their footsteps and doesn't make any attempt to cut them off.

So that the survivor plays at their best and the killer at their worst

Theorizing is nice and all but for me in practise very often if i miss my rush attack close to the survivor I can hit them shortly after assuming no pallet is near and it definitively doesn't take 15 seconds

Maybe that will change after survivors get better at dealing with Blight who knows

• Demogordon_Ramsay

"Still that calculation assumes the survivor always knows the direction of the nearest palet/window, that they always take the most optimal path to it"

It doesn't even need to be the nearest pallet. Not even close.

"and that the killer just follows the survivor directly in their footsteps and doesn't make any attempt to cut them off."

Unless I'm on an indoor map, the path to a pallet is 99% of the time going to take the Survivor through open, open, and open areas. Where am I gonna them off in the open?

"Theorizing is nice and all but for me in practise very often if i miss my rush attack close to the survivor I can hit them shortly after assuming no pallet is near and it definitively doesn't take 15 seconds"

Then the Survivor misplayed. Nothing more, nothing less. All the Survivor has to do is hold W and the Killer can't stop them from getting into the pallet.

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871

I played against a Blight today. It felt like playing against hillbilly before the rework.

Everyone just expects every Killer that comes out to be as strong as Nurse or Spirit, anything less and it's bad. Remember people even said Pyra was bad, but the dude's cutting corners - literally.

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358

It's not meant to be easy to turn he isn't Legion. It's not hard to use and it's meant to catch people out of position or to catch up to them. If you could turn it real easily he'd become ridiculously broken. He's not bad if you think he's bad you just don't use him right. It's incredibly fun for me and rewarding when you get it down. I've only had one game where I got destroyed and it was a swf that kept looping me at the fun bus because I refused to go chase someone else so it was all on me for that.